Fonds - Archibald McLachlin fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Archibald McLachlin fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1853-1926 (Creation)
    Creator
    McLachlin, Archibald
    Place
    Elgin, County of

Physical description area

Physical description

25 cm of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1827-1888)

Biographical history

Archibald McLachlin was born in 1827 in Kilmichael, Lochgilphead, Argyllshire, Scotland, where he was educated as a school master, demonstrating a keen interest in chemistry and physics. He immigrated to Canada in 1843 with his aunt, Margaret Ferguson (nee Stewart Monro), and found a job teaching school in Bothwell, Ontario. He rose through the ranks and was later appointed the local superintendent of schools in West Elgin. In 1853 he married Mary Ferguson, daughter of James Ferguson of Southwold, Ontario. They had seven children together – three sons (Robert, James, and Charles) and four daughters.

While starting his family, McLachlin began to exercise his entrepreneurial ambitions. In 1857 he resigned from his position as local superintendent and opened a book and stationary business in St. Thomas, Ontario, and two years later, in 1859, founded the Home Journal, a weekly newspaper and forerunner of the St. Thomas Times-Journal. To start the Journal, McLachlin purchased the machinery and type from N.W. Bates, printer of the short-lived publication “Rough Notes,” and over time assembled a forceful editorial staff that championed Upper Canada’s Reform movement, positioning the Journal in opposition to the Tory-driven politics of its chief rival, the St. Thomas Weekly Dispatch. In 1876 McLachlin ceded ownership of the newspaper to his sons, Robert and James, who oversaw its operations until 1881 when it was purchased by William E. Westlake, Edmund E. Sheppard, and James S. Brierley. Prior to this, in 1878, McLachlin began construction on No. 1 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, also known as “Inverlorne,” which became a social gathering point for community leaders and visitors to the town, including the Governor-General of Canada, Marquis of Lorne, and his wife Princess Louise.

In addition to his work at the Home Journal (later the Canadian Home Journal then Evening Journal), McLachlin assumed the role of one of Elgin County’s most civic-minded residents. In the early 1870s he was instrumental in brokering an agreement with Canada Southern Railway that saw trains pass through St. Thomas as part of the company’s newly constructed route between Niagara and Amherstburg. In 1872 he served as the town’s mayor, and shortly thereafter used the Canadian Home Journal to champion a proposal to build a dam on Kettle Creek and a pump station in town to fight fires. He also advocated for an increase in sheriff salaries, was appointed registrar of deeds for Elgin County after transferring ownership of the newspaper to his sons, and later in the decade was made the Returning Officer for West Elgin, a position he held from 1878-1882 before becoming the Returning Officer for East Elgin in 1886.

A devout Presbyterian, McLachlin nevertheless was a founding member of Alma College, an all-girls’ private school formed by the Methodist Episcopal Church. Located in St. Thomas, the college opened its doors in 1881. McLachlin served as a member of its Board of Directors and its first secretary, guiding the college through its formative years including soliciting donations to fund an addition to the school’s west wing, later named “McLachlin Hall” in his honour. He died in 1888 from a malignant disease of the neck.

Custodial history

The records were purchased unprocessed at Cosens Auctions on November 26, 2006, by the Elgin County Archives. The arrangement of the records into their current form was completed in July 2015.

Scope and content

The fonds reflects the history of Archibald McLachlin and his family from 1859-1926. The textual records consist of his correspondence, financial records, business records, documents related to his duties as returning Officer for West and East Elgin, and minutes and reports for Alma College. Also included are financial and business receipts pertaining to Walter McBrien, a family relative, and various discrete items retained by McLachlin and his family. The fonds is arranged into the following series:

  • Personal papers series
  • Business records series
  • Returning Officer for West Elgin and East Elgin series
  • Alma College series
  • Walter McBrien series

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres