File 2006.10.2.1 - Anglican Special School for Girls Information

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Special School for Girls Information

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Repository

Reference code

CA ON00154 996.21-2006.10.2.1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    Loucks, Barbara
    Place
    Port Hope, Municipality of

Physical description area

Physical description

0.01m textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(ca. 1930-)

Biographical history

Barbara Frances Loucks was the only child of Victoria Alberta Stuart Grant and Charles Frederick Haultain. Victoria Alberta Stuart Grant (1897-1974) was the eldest daughter of Josephine Stuart and Albert Grant. She was born at Ballinturan, on Rose Glen Road, Port Hope. Victoria was a goddaughter of Queen Victoria and was presented with a silver Christening cup in 1897. Albert Grant (1852-1921) was the fifth son of John Grant and Elizabeth Robbie. He was appointed a ghillie at Balmoral, June 1868, but it is unknown how long he remained in Royal service. Albert later moved to London, England. John and Elizabeth Grant worked on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland. John was the head gamekeeper (or ghillie) for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Josephine Caroline Clare Stuart and Albert Grant were married in Port Hope on 20 May 1896. The married couple divided their time between Port Hope and London, England. Albert and Josephine are buried in Port Hope.

Custodial history

Donated to the Port Hope Archives by B. Loucks, 2006. Donor's family owned Ballintruan for 107 years before the home was sold out of the family in 1948.

Scope and content

File consists of newspaper articles related to the Anglican School for Girls. It also includes: Program for dedication of St. Luke's Chapel; and Program for the dedication of the swimming pool.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

The Anglican Special School for Girls was established in 1955. That same year, the Anglican Church purchased Ballintruan to use the home as a boarding school to teach girls with special needs. The group was first established at a home near Aurora in 1935 by the Anglican Sisters of St. John. The school cared for girls aged 15-36. Located at 180 Dorset Street E.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area