Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1765, 1828-2000 (Creation)
Physical description area
68 volumes of textual records
1 album (71 photographs, ca. 20 prints, 1 ribbon)
430 photographs : black and white prints
5 photographs : black and white negatives
1 photograph : colour print
1 photograph : black and white print, tinted
3 drawings : pencil on paper
1 print : black ink on paper
1 copperplate : engraved
1 plate : metal, cast
1 architectural drawing : colour lithograph
1 lock of hair
1 pin : metal
2 dried flowers
1 plaque : wood and metal, engraved
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The family of Andrew Dyas MacLean, including his father Hugh Cameron MacLean and uncle John Bayne MacLean, was a family of important Canadian publishers in the later nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, maintaining national business interests, military affiliations, and international connections.
Andrew Dyas MacLean was descended, through his grandfather Rev. Andrew MacLean, from a branch of MacLeans centred in the parish of Moy and Dalarossie, Inverness-shire, Scotland. Family records indicate a possible relation to the MacLeans of Drimnin, though oral traditions give an alternate descent from the MacLeans of Duart through Eachann (Hector) MacLean, who left Mull with his mother and two brothers Alasdair (Alexander) and Domhnall (Donald) to settle in Dalarossie some time in the eighteenth century.
Name of creator
The Dyas family of Ontario was a family of Irish immigrants which maintained a strong connection with journalism and the publishing trade in the province.
The Dyas family originated, according to some accounts, with a Spanish Albigensian named Diaz who settled in England via Holland in the early seventeenth century. Of this family, Edward Dyas later settled in Ireland during the days of Oliver Cromwell. The Dyas family of Toronto, Ontario descend from his son, John Dyas of Clonturkan, whose grandson of the same name (b. ca. 1807) emigrated from Ireland to New Orleans in 1849 and afterward, in 1859, to London, Ontario. There he joined the editorial staff of the Farmer's Advocate and tutored students in Greek. His wife was Ellen Warren, with whom he had several children.
Thomas Winning Dyas (1845-1899), son of John and Ellen Dyas, was trained as a land surveyor but gave this up briefly to apprentice as a printer in 1865. He resumed surveying in 1868 but simultaneously continued to be active in publishing, producing Canadian Builder and Mechanics’ Magazine in 1869. In 1874 George Brown lured him from London to Toronto as a manager at the Globe, but in 1877 he left to become superintedent of printing at the Mail and Empire, rising to advertising manager in 1881. He founded the Mail Newspaper Advertising Agency in 1887, credited as the first advertising agency in Canada. He purchased stock in the Grocer Publishing Company of John B. MacLean, whom Dyas had met and advised at the Mail. Dyas died in 1899 at the age of 53.
Thomas W. Dyas married Emma Ball of Massachusetts, credited with writing the first women's page in North America, and together they had a number of children. A daughter, Bessie, attracted the attention of both John and Hugh MacLean. She married Hugh in May 1894. After bearing two children - Katherine Dyas MacLean, born 10 March 1895, who died after five months, and Andrew Dyas MacLean, born on 20 November 1896 - Bessie died suddenly on 29 May 1897. Other daughters of Thomas Dyas were Ellen, called Nell, and Marjorie, both journalists in Toronto.
Emma Ball was descended from John Ball (d. 1655) of Watertown, Massachusetts through her father Ezra Homer Ball, an engraver. Her mother Betsey Fletcher Nichols, who married Ezra H. Ball around 1848, was the daughter of Ebenezer Nichols of Charlestown, Massachusetts and his wife Betsey Fletcher.
Name of creator
Rev. Andrew MacLean (1821-1873) was a Presbyterian minister, born at Moy, Invernesshire, Scotland who immigrated to Canada West in 1855 to take up an appointment as minister at Knox Presbyterian Church at Crieff.
Andrew MacLean, born on 19 October 1821 at Dalriach in the parish of Moy, Invernesshire, Scotland, was the son of Ewen MacLean (1796-1872) and Katherine Fraser (d. 1871). Besides Andrew, their children were Ewen, John, Donald, Ann (b. 1824), Lachlan (1826-1827), Marjory (called May, b. 1829), Alexander (b. 1831), and William (1834-1871). Donald emigrated to Earltown, Nova Scotia, and siblings Alexander and Marjory went to Australia.
As a young boy, Andrew worked for Rev. McLauchlan, the parish minister. In 1838, Andrew moved to Inverness to work as a flesher with his brother John. A native Gaelic speaker, Andrew taught himself English at this time. He attended Edinburgh Normal School under Thomas Oliphant, later teaching at Skerry in Sutherland and Carinish in North Uist. Between 1848 and 1856, Andrew also studied divinity at the University of Edinburgh, under the Highland Committee and later on a Free Church scholarship.
In 1856, Andrew was invited to come to North America by Rev. John Bayne, then a minister at Galt in Canada West. MacLean sailed in December of that year. He preached his first sermon in West Puslinch, the new parish where he was to serve for 16 years, in February 1857. On the death of Bayne, Andrew was appointed moderator of the Kirk-Session.
On 5 December 1861, Andrew married Catherine Cameron at Chatsworth, Canada West. Catherine and Andrew had two sons, John Bayne MacLean and Hugh Cameron MacLean.
Andrew MacLean's health began to fail, and he was induced to make a number of trips to Portland, Maine for the improvement of his health. He died at the age of 53 at the Manse in Crieff, Ontario on 20 April 1873.
Name of creator
Catherine Cameron (1838?-1916), sister of Rev. James Cameron of Chatsworth, Ontario, was the wife of Rev. Andrew MacLean of Crieff, Ontario.
Catherine Cameron, daughter of John Cameron and Margaret MacKillican, was born in Scotland, perhaps on 25 May 1838 or 5 July 1841. The Camerons migrated from Scotland to Grey County, Canada West in 1860. Soon after her arrival, Catherine married Rev. Andrew MacLean, a minister at Crieff, Ontario. They had two sons, John Bayne MacLean and Hugh Cameron MacLean. Upon the early death of her husband in 1873, Catherine moved with her young sons to live with her brother, Rev. James Cameron (d. August 1883), a minister at Chatsworth, Ontario. His son John Home Cameron was close with Catherine's children.
She purchased a small cottage for herself at Durham, Ontario in 1890 but, becoming too frail, she later lived with her son Hugh in Toronto at 86 Chestnut Park, tended by a nurse. Catherine Cameron died at 5 Cluney Avenue, Toronto, Ontario on 31 July 1916 and was buried beside her husband in Creiff.
Name of creator
John Bayne MacLean (1862-1950) was a leading publisher of trade and consumer magazines in Canada during the first half of the twentieth century, starting some of the country’s most enduring magazines, including Maclean’s Magazine and Chatelaine.
John Bayne MacLean was born at about 3.30 pm on 26 September 1862 at Crieff, Ontario, the eldest son of Rev. Andrew MacLean (1821-1873) and his wife Catherine Cameron (1841-1916). He was named for his father’s patron, Rev. John Bayne. His father died when he was ten years old, at which time John moved with his mother and younger brother Hugh C. MacLean to live with his uncle Rev. James Cameron at Chatsworth, Ontario, where he attended the local school.
Early in his life, Jack (as he was called by family and friends) pursued several interests. He began a military career at the age of fifteen, joining 31st Grey Regiment of Militia, and had risen by 1882 to the rank of lieutenant. He later served with 10th Battalion Royal Grenadiers and 17th Duke of York’s Royal Canadian Hussars, becoming a Lieutenant-Colonel. Also, like his father, John became a teacher, studying at the Normal School at St. James’ Square in Toronto. He taught for a few years at Glenelg.
In 1882 John became a reporter for the Toronto World, moving after only three months to the Toronto Mail. Turning down a request by his brother Hugh, a printer, to start a publishing company, John remained at the Mail, where he was made assistant commercial editor by 1886. During his time at the Mail, Thomas W. Dyas, advertising and circulations manager, became an important mentor. On 26 September 1887, with capital partially supplied by Dyas, John started up the Grocer Publishing Company. Hugh MacLean soon joined the company, and the business developed into a successful enterprise. On April 30, 1891 the brothers incorporated as the J.B. MacLean Publishing Company of Toronto Limited. Though Hugh parted company with his brother before the end of the decade, John's business, later renamed the Maclean Publishing Company, continued to thrive, and he subsequently introduced some of Canada’s most important magazines, including Maclean’s Magazine (1905, starting out as the Business Magazine), the Financial Post (19
John maintained a great interest in his parents’ families, corresponding frequently, especially earlier in his life, with MacLeans and Camerons in Canada, Scotland and Australia. As a consequence of this sentiment, he also became very involved with Clan MacLean, becoming close with Fitzroy MacLean, the Clan’s chief. John chose to change the spelling of his name from MacLean to Maclean around 1900. MacLean travelled extensively for both business and pleasure. He travelled often to Britain and continental Europe, attending Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in London in 1897. He cultivated contacts in the upper echelons of society, corresponding with prominent American businessmen, members of the British upper class and, owing to a family connection through his wife, the Portuguese royal family.
During the early 1890s, John courted Elizabeth Emma Matilda Dyas, daughter of Thomas W. Dyas, but she preferred his brother Hugh. After moving to Montreal, Quebec, John was married on 31 October 1900 to Anna Perkins Slade, daughter of Dr. Daniel Denison Slade of Chestnut Hill and Boston. They later lived at 13 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario. The two had a son, Hector Andrew Fitzroy MacLean, born February 1903 at Toronto. He died of a burst appendix while on a canoe trip at Temagami, Ontario at the age of sixteen. No longer having a son of his own to succeed him, Jack MacLean indicated in 1920 that he wished his brother Hugh’s son Andrew Dyas MacLean to take over the business.
John Bayne MacLean died, without retaining much in the way of wealth despite his far-reaching contacts and prosperous business, on 25 September 1950.
Name of creator
Hugh Cameron MacLean (1866-1949) was an important printer and publisher in Canada for over sixty years, publishing a wide range of high-quality trade publications.
Hugh Cameron MacLean was born on 15 July 1866 at Crieff, Ontario, the youngest son of Rev. Andrew MacLean and his wife Catherine Cameron. His father died when he was six years old, at which time Hugh moved with his mother and elder brother John B. MacLean to live with his uncle Rev. James Cameron at Chatsworth, Ontario, where he attended the local school.
Discontented with life at home, Hugh ran away in 1880 to become a printer’s apprentice for the Chesley Enterprise, living at the editor’s home. He later set type in Toronto and New York. Heeding his brother’s advice, he gained some experience in the military with 2nd Queen’s Own Rifles, Prince of Wales Rifles, and 48th Highlanders, attaining the rank of Major. He also attended the Ontario College of Art in 1882, and about that time became involved with the Toronto Canoe Club.
In 1888 his brother John, recently established in the publishing field in the Grocer Publishing Company with the assistance of $300 capital from Thomas W. Dyas, sought to improve his fledgling magazine entitled The Canadian Grocer by bringing Hugh, by then an experienced printer working for Robert Grant MacLean in Toronto, into the business. Hugh purchased Dyas’s share in 1890. After the death of his young wife in 1897, and with differences arising between the brothers over advertising, Hugh sold his interest to John in 1899 and withdrew from the business. He moved to western Canada, where Hugh bought out a number of business papers, including the Winnipeg Commercial. He returned to Toronto in 1908 with the purchase of the Mortimer publications, which included Canada Lumberman and Electrical News. He established Hugh C. MacLean Publications. Hugh was a generous employer, giving valued employees very substantial gifts – T.S. Young received an automobile as a bonus one year.
Taking on the duties of president of the Muskoka Lakes Navigation and Hotel Company, Hugh controlled a number of steamers and the Royal Muskoka Hotel. Prime Minister Robert L. Borden visited the hotel in 1914 before his return to Ottawa prior to the outbreak of World War I. This hotel was briefly the terminus of an early commercial airline run by Billy Bishop and W.G. Barker in the early 1920s. Hugh gave up his interest in the Muskoka Lakes Navigation and Hotel Company in 1947.
Both Hugh and his brother John courted Dyas’ daughter, Elizabeth Emma Matilda Dyas, called Bessie, in the early 1890s. Hugh married Bessie on 2 May 1894 at St. John’s Church, Portland Street, Toronto, and the couple toured Scotland for their honeymoon. They had a daughter, Katherine Dyas MacLean, born 10 March 1895, who died after five months. A son, Andrew Dyas MacLean, was born on 20 November 1896. Six months later, Bessie herself died. Hugh then departed for western Canada, leaving his young son in the care of the Dyas family. Soon Hugh bought Bohemia Island on Lake Rosseau, Ontario. He often returned to visit his son in the summer at Duart Lodge, the cottage he had built there. Hugh returned to Toronto in 1908, living at 86 Chestnut Park with his son Andrew and his aging mother.
Hugh married Sally Leyden, widow of Alfred Clarence Mace in 1932 at Rochester, New York.
Hugh Cameron MacLean died on 9 August 1949.
Name of creator
Andrew D. MacLean (1896-1971) was a Canadian publisher who served in the volunteer naval reserves during the two World Wars and as a secretary to Prime Minister R.B. Bennett.
Andrew Dyas MacLean was born on 20 November 1896 at Toronto, Ontario, son of Hugh Cameron MacLean and Elizabeth Emma Matilda Dyas. His mother died when he was only six months old, and Andrew grew up under the care of his maternal grandmother Emma Ball Dyas, his father having moved temporarily to western Canada. Andrew attended several boarding schools: Upper Canada College, Appleby College, and University of Toronto Schools.
As a result of summer activities at his father’s cottage, Duart Lodge, on Bohemia Island on Lake Rosseau, Ontario, building sailboats and racing motor launches, Andrew applied to the Royal Navy during the First World War but was at first rejected as he was underage; but later, upon his father's personal petition to the Admiralty, he was commissioned as a Sub-Lieutenant, assigned to the Mediterranean on small ships of the First Submarine Hunting Flotilla and later, after promotion to Watch Keeping Officer, aboard HMS Cleopatra. Between the wars, Andrew MacLean commanded Toronto Company, Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. In the fall of 1939, at the outbreak of the Second World War, he petitioned the Admiralty to re-enter service in the Royal Navy but was denied. Instead MacLean signed on with the RCAF Marine Section, providing training in the use of motor launches. Later he was loaned to the Royal Navy, being given command of a convoy trawler, HMS Zeno. Subsequently he represented the Admiralty in trials of the Fairmile, a submarine chaser and motor gun boat. He then organised the Canadian Navy Submarine Chasers and became Senior Officer Fairmiles. He retired from Royal Canadian Navy in 1942 amid a public controversy between him and the Navy's senior officers.
Andrew, upon returning from the First World War, was pressured by his father to work in his publishing business, Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited. After years of editorial work, Andrew became a director in 1922 and president in 1947. His personal initiative led to the launch of the Toronto News Mirror, the first photograph tabloid newspaper in Canada. In 1961, the Board of Directors of Southam-MacLean, as the company was then called, voted to replace Andrew D. MacLean as president.
Having been forced out of the business his father had started over fifty years earlier, Andrew built up his own publishing companies, including Andrew MacLean Newspapers Limited and the Magnetawan Publishing Company Limited. He purchased the Gravenhurst Banner from the Alfred Dass Estate and attempted to revive the copyright of publications formerly owned by his father, including the Canadian Magazine. The success of these ventures was limited, and he retired from publishing in 1967.
Apart from publishing work, Andrew served as a director of his father's Muskoka Navigation and Hotel Company for many years. From 1932 to 1934, Andrew MacLean served as Private Secretary to the R.B. Bennett, President of the Privy Council -- at that time also serving as Prime Minister. MacLean was the author of two books, R.B. Bennett, Prime Minister of Canada, in 1934 and previously British Flags on Land and Sea in 1928, both published by MacLean companies. He also published a small book of photography.
On 19 September 1925 Andrew married Frances Beatrice Armstrong (1905-2000) at Montreal, Qeubec. The couple had two sons, Hugh Armstrong MacLean and Hector Iain MacLean. Andrew and Frances separated, and in the 1950s Andrew married Joan Howe (1919-2000), with whom he had three children: Rory Howe MacLean; Andrew Howe MacLean; and Marlie Ann MacLean.
In the late 1960s Andrew's health deteriorated, and he began to spend winters in the Bahamas. On 22 January 1971, Andrew Dyas MacLean died of heart failure in Nassau.
Name of creator
Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited, based in Toronto, Ontario, was a major Canadian publisher, primarily of trade journals such as Canada Lumberman.
Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited was established around 1909 by Hugh Cameron MacLean, basing the company on the publications of C.H. Mortimer, including Canada Lumberman, which MacLean had purchased in 1907. To these were added numerous other new trade journals, such as Footwear in Canada in 1911, and more acquired titles, such as Furniture and Furnishings in 1919.
The company relocated in 1914 to its own building at 345 West Adelaide Street in Toronto, Ontario. In 1954 Hugh C. MacLean built a modern printery at Don Mills.
In addition to Hugh C. MacLean, executives in the company over the years included: Thomas Seymour Young; Andrew Dyas MacLean; James Alexander Daly; Aubrey Acton Burrows; George Collington; and Samuel Stewart Moore.
The Southam family purchased Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited and operated it as a separate company, under the name Southam-MacLean Publications Limited, which became Southam Business Publications Limited in 1964.
Name of creator
MacLean Publishing Company Limited was a major publishing house in Canada from 1891 to 1945, producing many popular magazines and periodicals, including Maclean's Magazine, the Financial Post, and numerous trade publications.
The company history of the MacLean Publishing Company began with the founding of the Grocer Publishing Company by John B. MacLean on 26 September 1887, with capital partially supplied by MacLean's mentor, Thomas W. Dyas. It published one monthly, The Canadian Grocer. Low initial sales prompted MacLean to bring his brother Hugh C. MacLean, a printer by trade, into the business after the third issue of The Grocer. Thereafter the company prospered, launching new trade magazines such as Hardware and Metal, Dry Goods Review, and Printer and Publisher.
On April 30, 1891, the brothers incorporated as the J.B. MacLean Publishing Company of Toronto Limited. During the 1890s the head office of the company was briefly relocated to Montreal but returned to Toronto in 1905, upon which the company soon launched Canadian Machinery and Busy Man's Magazine, later to be renamed Maclean's Magazine, as well as the Financial Post, Plumber and Steamfitter, and The Power House.
On 31 December 1918, John B. MacLean transferred all publishing business owned and carried on by him personally to the J.B. MacLean Publishing Company of Toronto. Within six months, on 1 May 1919, the company changed its name to the MacLean Publishing Company Limited, launching Mayfair Magazine in 1927 and Chatelaine in 1928.
In addition to MacLeans, the company's executive included Horace Talmadge Hunter (1881-1961), who had started as an advertising representative for Hardware and Metal in 1903 and later was made business manager for Plumber and Steamfitter in 1907. In 1911 he was appointed General Manager of the John B. McLean Publishing Company of Toronto and was made Vice-President in 1916. He became President of the MacLean Publishing Company in 1934. Recognition of Hunter's increased importance came with the reorganization of the business as the Maclean-Hunter Publishing Company in 1945.
Name of creator
Maclean - Hunter Limited was a major Canadian publisher, from 1945 to 1994, of over 130 special interest magazines and 70 business periodicals; it also had stakes in the newspaper publishing industry, the radio and television industry, and the cable industry.
In 1945, John Bayne MacLean reorganized his MacLean Publishing Company as the Maclean - Hunter Publishing Company, with company president Horace Talmadge Hunter playing a more prominent role. Subsequently the name of the company was changed yet again to Maclean-Hunter Limited. After Horace T. Hunter, subsequent presidents of company included: Floyd S. Chalmers, Donald F. Hunter, and Donald G. Campbell.
Maclean-Hunter was the largest Canadian publisher in its time, putting forth over 130 magazines and 70 periodicals, including Maclean's Magazine, Flare, L’Actualité, Chatelaine, and, until 1987, the Financial Post. The company also published in the US and Europe, including many business periodicals. In March of 1973, MacLean-Hunter Limited completed financial arrangements for the purchase of The Macmillan Company of Canada Limited. Donald Campbell became Chairman of the Board, and George Gilmour, who was Vice-President in charge of the Maclean - Hunter Business Publications Division, became President and Chief Executive Officer of Macmillan.
With time, Maclean - Hunter became a diversified communications company, maintaining a majority interest in Toronto Sun Publishing Corporation, publishers of the Toronto Sun, Edmonton Sun, Calgary Sun and Ottawa Sun. It also developed interests in the radio and television and cable industries. As a broadcaster, the company’s holdings included the CTV affiliate CFCN-TV in Calgary and Lethbridge and 22 radio stations located in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Chatham-Wallaceburg, Ottawa, Sarnia, Leamington and throughout the Maritimes. It was also the third largest cable television operator in Canada, controlling 16 cable systems in 20 communities in Ontario, servicing over 700,000 subscribers in Ontario and the US. Other interests included book distribution, commercial printing, business forms, trade shows and specialized information services.
In 1994, Rogers Communications Ltd. gained control of Maclean-Hunter Limited.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of materials illustrating the personal life and publishing career of Andrew Dyas MacLean, including private and business records inherited by him concerning his father Hugh Cameron MacLean and uncle John Bayne MacLean, both publishers as well. Further personal records pertain to his paternal grandparents, Rev. Andrew MacLean and Catherine Cameron, and his mother's family, the Dyas family of Toronto.
Publishing records include primarily correspondence, notes, and issues of publications, with some statements, minute books, and other administrative records. Personal records are comprised of correspondence, household accounts, real estate papers, clippings and records of social activities, and various materials illustrating key aspects of the lives of Andrew D. MacLean and his family: for example, his grandfather's sermons, his uncle John's phrenological records, his father Hugh's records of the Toronto Canoe Club, and his own service as secretary to Prime Minister R.B. Bennett. Fonds also includes photographs, paintings, and books.
Fonds contains records reflecting the MacLeans' social and family connections with: European nobility and other members of the upper class, including the Duke of Devonshire, the Queen Regent of Portugal, and Sir Fitzroy Maclean of Morvern; key international business contacts of the time, including Charles S. Rolls and Frank A. Munsey; and important Canadians such as Prime Ministers Bennett, Borden, Meighen and Pearson, Billy Bishop, Goldwin Smith, and E. Cora Hind.
Materials reflect the activities principally in southern Ontario, with some records from the Canadian Arctic, the Rocky Mountains, Scotland, England, Australia, and the Mediterranean.
Fonds has been arranged into eight series.
For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database:
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
At the Archives of Ontario:
For records relating to Maclean-Hunter Limited, see also F 138.
For records relating to Floyd S. Chalmers, employee of John B. MacLean, see also F 4153.