Archief - Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

referentie code

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1901-2005 (Vervaardig)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

76.5 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 120 photographs: b&w and col. 1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

Institutionele geschiedenis

The Amherst Island Women’s Institute was founded by Miss A. Hollingsworth in 1900. This branch was a part of the Lennox District Women’s Institute, which later amalgamated with Addington District to make Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute. It was one of the first created and it began with twenty-five members. One of Amherst Island W.I.’s first accomplishments was establishing a library in order to promote knowledge of domestic science. This library was enjoyed for many years, especially when it was sent overseas to hospitals and was made available to servicemen during World War II. During World War I and World War II, Amherst Island Women’s Institute was involved in Red Cross work, including sending money and hospital equipment overseas, as well as knitting many pairs of socks. A prominent member of the Amherst Island branch was Laura Rose Stephen, who was an official organizer and lecturer for the Women’s Institute. Laura Rose helped design the Women’s Institute crest in 1903; it was an oval in blue and gold with a small maple leaf at each end and the Institute motto engraved on the banding. Throughout the years, the Amherst Island Women’s Institute has supported athletic and academic excellence in local schools by providing dictionaries, pens, pencils, and other prizes. In 1990, a local resident, Mr. Ameriks donated $2,000 to the Amherst Island Women’s Institute for kindness rendered. Each year, interest on the money from the donation is applied to the Ameriks Scholarship Fund for Amherst Island students. Amherst Island Women’s Institute is one of the few remaining active branches in Lennox and Addington County. In recent years, they have been concerned with promoting environmental issues, such as Natursac (a biodegradable plastic bag) by making it available on the Island, and appealing for a new recycling facility for the Island. They have also purchased a sound system and overheard projector for school and community use, plan and host the annual senior citizens dinner, and helped to purchase a commercial dishwasher for the Amherst Island Community Centre. A large community project initiated by the branch was restoring the stone fences at Pentland Cemetery. This project was made possible through support of a grant from the Greater Kingston Community Foundation. The committee hired an expert on stone fences, who taught many locals how to construct the fence. The fence was completed in 2006, over two years since the project began. Amherst Island branch emphasizes enriching communities beyond the Island by being involved with funds and awareness for “Grandmothers to Grandmothers” which supports orphaned children in Africa and their grandmothers, and for collecting patterns for Guyana that go to a women’s self-help group supported by the A.C.W.W. Some of the regular fundraisers that they host are: summer refreshment stands and bake sales, an Amherst Island phone directory, an annual calendar of historical Island photographs, and “Pennies for Friendship” which goes towards a “Clean-Water-for-All” fund that finances sanitation projects around the world. Some of the recent donations made by the Amherst Island Women’s Institute were to CNIB, Lennox and Addington Senior’s Outreach Services, Salvation Army, Canadian Cancer Society, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Arthritis Society, Samaritan’s Purse Canada, Neilson Store Museum, CJAI Radio, and Women’s Project. Also, the Amherst Island Women’s Institute, due to the efforts of Jean Baker, was responsible for starting a Province-wide affiliation with the Lung Society to reinforce the information that most of pollutants that people are exposed to are produced in the home. Overall, It is evident that the women of Amherst Island Women’s Institute enjoyed their time working together, growing and learning together. The Tweedsmuirs of Amherst Island contain information on Island news and issues. Amherst Island has produced four volumes of Tweedsmuirs since the 1960s; all originals are held at the Lennox and Addington Museum and Archives, with copies on the Island. Most of the materials within the Tweedsmuirs were compiled by Leslie Gavlas, who was the latest Tweedsmuir Convener as of 2005. Some of the most significant subjects within the collection are: quilts (including the Pineapple pattern, which is popular on Amherst Island), original Amherst Island Women’s Institute Constitution and by-laws, small histories of local personalities, house and community histories (including Stella), information on the local Irish stone fences in the interest of restoration, the Hoodless stamp, anniversaries, tartan design, articles on ferry and transportation, copies of Amherst Island Beacon, and obituaries of local people. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Amherst Island were: Elizabeth McDonald (1901-1926), Elizabeth Scott (1926-1929), Mabel Instant (1929-1930), Mary Emma Fleming (1930-1933), Ella McMullen (1933-1935; 1941-1942), Leith Kilpatrick (1936-1938; 1950-1951), Margaret White (1938-1939), Mary Gibson (1939-1941), Georgia Glenn (1942-1944), Genevieve Fleming (1944-1946; 1958-1960), Nellie Neilson (1946-1948; 1960-1962), Edith Nightingale (1948-1950), Nanetta Glenn (1951-1952), Reta Miller (1952-1954), Marian Glenn (1954-1956; 1964-1967), Gene McDonald (1956-1958), Lulu Strain (1962-1964; 1976-1978), Myrtle Veech (1967-1969), Anna Hitchins (1969-1971; 1972-1973; 1986-1988), Helen Miller (1971-1972), Ena Baker (1973-1976), Phyllis Strain (1978-1980; 1990-1992), Irene Glenn (1980-1982), Georgina Allison (1982-1984), Jackie Sylvester (1984-1986; 1995-1998), Ida Gavlas (1988-1990), Jean Baker (1992-1995; 1999-2000), Audrey Miller (1998-1999), and Nancy Henshaw (2000).

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

The fonds consists of minute books, cash books, Tweedsmuir History books, photographs, a Birthday Calendar, house histories, and subject files pertaining to the activities of the Amherst Island Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Tweedsmuir history books Series 3: Publications

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

The records of the Amherst Island Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives in 1984, with subsequent accruals in 2007 and 2008. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives from the Amherst Island Women’s Institute the following accession numbers: 984.120, 2001.183, 2007.109, 2008.38.

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Tweedsmuir History, volume I is available on microfilm in the Reading Room of the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives.

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Status

Niveau van detaillering

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Taal van de beschrijving

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres