Fonds CONG-11 - Almonte Presbyterian Church (Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Almonte Presbyterian Church (Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-11

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Microfilmed 1993 (originally created ca. 1868-1993) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records 2 reels of microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Almonte Presbyterian Church, Almonte, Ontario, was established in 1925. Presbyterianism in the Almonte area, however, has its roots in two earlier churches: the congregation of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, which was established ca. 1833, and the congregation of St. John's Presbyterian Church, which was established ca. 1845. These two churches amalgamated in 1912 and took the name Almonte Presbyterian Church. In 1925, however, the majority of this congregation voted to enter Church Union. The minority that wished to remain within The Presbyterian Church in Canada then formed a new Almonte Presbyterian Church, and purchased and renovated the old St. John's Presbyterian Church building, which was opened in October 1925.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes, registers and other records of Almonte Presbyterian Church, Ontario. These records, which are predominantly on microfilm, cover the dates 1868-1993. Specifically, the fonds consists of Session minutes (1926-1979); Board of Manager's minutes (1868-1876, 1925-1931, and 1959-1989); baptisms (1925-1993); marriages (1926-1992); communion rolls (1925-1990); communion registers (1963-1967, 1990-1992); and Historic Roll (1990-1992). Fonds also includes several booklets on the history of the Presbyterian churches in Almonte; an Order of Service for the erection of a plaque at the site of the old Kirk and cemetery in Ramsay, in 1970; and transcripts of the baptisms performed by The Rev. John Fairbairn in the Auld Kirk (St. Andrew's Church) in Ramsay, ca. 1834, along with a list of early members of the church, ca. 1834-1848.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000A at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres