Fonds - Alma College International Alumnae Association fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alma College International Alumnae Association fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1901-2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3.3 m of textual records ca. 200 photographs The records are generally in good condition.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Alma Daughters Society was organized by Emma Sisk in February 1901. The organization included past female teachers and students who were united by their interest in continuing to support college fellowship. The association quickly became known as the “Alumnae Association” and worked to support the college through a variety of special events, gifts and fund-raising. In 1908 the charter of the school was amended to provide for the organization of ex-students known as “Alma Daughters”. This organization received the right to elect three members each year, for a term of one year, to the Alma College Board of Management. The original name "Alma Daughters" was changed to "Alma College Alumnae" in 1931 to reflect the growth of the association. The alumnae were divided into geographical chapters primarily within Ontario. Throughout the years international chapters were added. For example, in 1998 a Bermudian chapter was added at the annual reunion in Bermuda. Semi-annual and annual meetings were held each year in addition to monthly chapter meetings and social events. At the 1994 Alumnae Semi-Annual Meeting, in anticipation of the planned reopening of Alma College as a co-educational institution, the members voted to change their name to the "Alma College Alumni" to include future male members. However, after the college did not reopen the members decided that they wished to be known once again as "Alumnae". In January 1995, at the Semi-Annual Meeting the name, "Alma College International Alumnae Association", was adopted to reflect both the international aspect and uniqueness of the all female association. The association continues to operate today.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

The archives of the Alma College International Alumnae Association were compiled when the Alma College Archives was established in 1985. In 1989 accounts, minute books and correspondence from alumnae chapters were actively sought for inclusion in the collection. Alma College retained custody of the alumnae records on site until the Alma College Board of Management filed for bankruptcy in September 1994. On October 19, 1994 Price Waterhouse Inc. of London was appointed interim receiver. The records were then subsequently purchased by permission of court order by a group of alumnae committed to preserving the college and its contents, in November 1997. Soon after, the alumnae moved the records to Central Church in St. Thomas, sorted the records and transferred the business and personal records to the United Church of Canada Archives. Student transcripts were transferred to the Ontario Ministry of Education. The alumnae originally intended to donate the remaining records to the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. However, Mr. Steve Peters, the Mayor of St. Thomas and past volunteer Archivist for Alma College, offered an empty office at City Hall for storage of the remaining records in November 1998. Subsequently, the alumnae then moved the records to Raven's Shoe Store in St. Thomas. In March 2000 the records were futhermore moved from the shoe store to the Elgin County Administration Building. At the 2002 Alma College International Alumnae Association Reunion, the alumnae voted to transfer the records to the Elgin County Archives. The alumnae donated the records to the Elgin County Archives later the same year.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of international alumnae chapters including minutes, accounts, correspondence, membership lists, constitutions, scrapbooks, The Bulletin, legal records, invitations, programs and photographs. Fonds is comprised of the following series: The Bulletin Miscellaneous records International Council records Branch records Address books and membership lists Reunions Gail McGilvary records Legal records International Alumnae Networking Directory Questionnaire Photographs Semi-annual meetings Students at Alma Newsletters Ingeborg Anderson's scrapbook

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Alma College fonds

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres