Title and statement of responsibility area
Alf Hales fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00126 F15
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1880]-1994 (Creation)
Physical description area
1.03 m of textual records, 61 photographs, 1 film reel (30 m)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Alfred (Alf) Dryden Hales was a Guelph businessman, active community member, alderman, and Member of Parliament for Wellington South. He was born on November 22, 1909 and died on February 28, 1998.
Alf Hales was born in the Guelph General Hospital and was raised in a house at 53 Dundas Street (now Gordon Street) near the present day University of Guelph campus. He attended public school at the MacDonald Consolidated High School (now the MacDonald-Stewart Art Centre) and high school at the Guelph Collegiate Vocational Institute. From 1929 to 1934, Alf attended the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture. While at the OAC, he played on the school football team, helping the team to win the Canadian Intermediate Intercollegiate Championship in 1932. It was also while a student at the OAC in 1931 that Alf met Mary Gertrude Graham, whom he would later marry. Alf Hales took a job with the Swift Canadian Company in Toronto as an assistant beef grader upon graduation from the OAC. At the same time, he played professional football as the starting middle wing for the Toronto Argonauts for two seasons. He moved back to Guelph at the end of 1935 and on June 6, 1936 married Mary Graham. Alf worked as an employee at Hales' Meat Market from 1935 to 1945, a local Guelph business established by his grandfather in 1887 and owned by his father. On September 14, 1938, twins Beverly Margaret and Alfred Graham were born followed by another set of twins, Donald Ernest and David Scott on February 1, 1946.
Alf was becoming a significant contributor to the operation of the family meat business and notably, in 1943, he invented a ration clipper that expedited the pulling of coupons during the period of wartime meat rationing. He sold this invention to Canada Packers who sold millions of the devices to meat stores across the country. In 1944, Alf purchased the business from his father and on October 1949 he opened a new shop, moving the business from 8 Wyndham Street South to 16 Wyndham Street South. In the new shop, Alf expanded store services such as catering and frozen food services.
In 1952, Alf Hales was contacted by R.B. Hungerford, secretary of the Wellington South Progressive Conservative Association and asked to run as the Conservative candidate for the Wellington South riding. Although he won the nomination, he was unsuccessful in the election. He ran again in 1957 and again won the nomination. One week before the election, however, his opponent Harry Hosking died and the election was deferred. The deferred election was run on July 15, 1957 and Alf Hales was victorious.
As a Member of Parliament, Alf Hales was active on a number of issues and committees. He sat on the Public Accounts Committee from 1957-1974, chairing the Committee from 1968 to 1974. He was also a member of the Trade and Commerce Committee. In 1962 he served as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Labour. Alf was active in the House of Commons, forwarding a successful private members bill to establish a Parliamentary Internship Program, opposing the adoption of a new Canadian flag, and acting as the Conservative Party's critic against the U.S.-Canada Auto Treaty. Alf Hales served as the Conservative representative of Wellington South continuously until 1974 when he retired from political life.
In addition to his political work, Alf held many positions within community organizations and clubs including: President of the OAC Alumni Association, Director of the YMCA of Guelph, President of the Guelph Chamber of Commerce, Chair of the Guelph Transportation Committee, member of the Guelph Police Commission, member of the Ontario Veterinary Council, Master of the Waverly Masonic Lodge, and President and member of the Kiwanis Club of Guelph.
Alf Hales died on February 28, 1998. For more biographical details, see his autobiography entitled Memoirs: A Personal History, which can be found in series F15-0-2 of this fonds.
Before transfer to the Guelph Public Library these records were held continuously by Alf Hales. On Alf Hales' death in 1998, his wife Mary assumed custody of the records until the remaining records were transferred to the Guelph Public Library archives in 2001.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created or accumulated by Alf Hales in his capacity as a Member of Parliament, a local politician, a Kiwanis Club President and member, and a Guelph business owner. The records document the federal elections in which Alf was a candidate, the financial and promotional activities of the Hales Meat Market, and various social functions that he participated in with the Guelph Kiwanis Club. A large part of the fonds is comprised of scrapbooks assembled by, or on behalf of, Alf Hales that contain newspaper clippings, correspondence, and photographs.
The fonds has been arranged into five series.
Immediate source of acquisition
The photographs and business records were donated to the Guelph Public Library archives by Alf Hales in 1988. In 2001, the Guelph Public Library archives received a donation of Alf Hales' papers, photographs and scrapbooks from Mary Hales (wife of Alf Hales). In 2010, the Guelph Public Library archives received a donation of one scrapbook from David Hales (son of Alf Hales).
Duplicate records have been culled from this fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
The photographs in series F15-1, F15-0-3, F15-0-4, and F15-0-5 are available electronically. See series descriptions for more details.
Restrictions on access
The original photographs in series F15-0-1, F15-0-3, and F15-0-4 are restricted. See series description for more details. There are no other restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Donor-held copyright in these records has been transferred to the Guelph Public Library. Permission of the Guelph Public Library is required for publication.
To view these records, please consult the series listings for greater details and information on how to access these records.
Subsequent accruals were received in 2010 from the following accession, 2010-04.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised April 2012