Fonds - Addington District Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1993 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

111 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 50 photographs : b&w and col.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Addington District was comprised of numerous Branches over the years. The following are Branches which were within the Addington District and each corresponding date of creation and disbandment: Enterprise 1914-1930, Yarker-Colebrook 1927-1959, Newburgh 1929-1947, Fifth Lake 1935-1936, Centreville 1951-1953, Croydon 1923-1944, Moscow 1923-1991, Camden East 1927-present, Tamworth 1921-2004, Reidville 1928-present, Cloyne 1935-1983, and Denbigh 1951-[post 1984, prior 1993]. Addington District was occasionally referred to as South Addington District in the early Minute and Cash Books. Addington District amalgamated with Lennox to form the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute in 1993. The main responsibility of the Addington District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each Branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Much of the fonds consists of materials from the last six Branches: Moscow, Camden East, Tamworth, Reidville, Cloyne, and Denbigh. Beyond the financial reports, many of the documents pertain to discussions regarding Home Economics and Health, Tweedsmuir Histories, Historical Research and Current Events, Resolutions, Citizenship and Education, Agriculture and Canadian Industries, and Public Relations. The fonds presents many significant events and issues for Addington District. In 1927, it was moved to have the Secretary approach the Provincial Board about joining Belleville instead of Ottawa, a resolution passed asking for fairer representation at the Provincial Board. Many other resolutions were passed through the years, such as to promote large print in legal documents, to approach the government about the need for seat belts, and to protest the Liquor Control Board against issuing any licenses to Cloyne or the District. The group attending the 1928 District Annual decided to have an exhibit at the Centreville Fair and participated for many years. This District was involved in hosting many “Short Courses” and district-wide projects, such as emergency knitting. They supported the local 4-H Club, the Central War Fund, and various aspects of the Women’s Institute. A committee was formed to study all aspects for a home for the aged in the Lennox and Addington County region, and to ask Council to do the same. Often, local school classes would entertain the ladies during their annual meeting by singing. The Tweedsmuirs of Addington District contain information on District Annual meetings and information on the individual Branches. Addington District has produced one Tweedsmuir, which ranges from 1914-1993. The Tweedsmuir District Curators were Mrs. Harold Brown (1963-1967) and Mrs. Allan Carroll (1967-1976). It contains lists of the District history, District officers, District presidents and secretary-treasurers, Conveners of standing committees, condensed histories for each Branch, projects and special events by the District, and summaries from meetings (including dates and locations). There are also programmes, photographs, and newspaper clippings. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Addington District were: Mrs. A.E. Hoffman (1927-1930), Mrs. N. (Josie) Boyce (1930-1931), Mrs. W.W. Redden (1932-1934), Mrs. A Robinson (1934-1936), Mrs. George (Lillian) Walker (1935-1937), Mrs. T. (Jennie) Scanlin (1937-1939), Mrs. James (Rhoda) Milligan (1939-1941), Mrs. C.A. (Florence) Baker (1941-1943), Mrs. E. Boyce (1943-1944), Mrs. Ted Allore (1945-1947), Mrs. H. (Marion) Easterbrook (1947-1949), Mrs. Don (Jessie) Hannah (1949-1951), Mrs. C. (May) Hyland (1951-1953), Mrs. W.K. (Marion) Huffman (1953-1955), Mrs. P. (Helen) Galbraith (1955-1957), Mrs. A. (Roxie) Bauder (1957-1960), Mrs. Nelson (Ruby) Kennedy (1960-1963), Mrs. Allan (Coral) Carroll (1963-1966), Mrs. E. (Eleanor) Nowell (1966-1969), Mrs. Garnet (Helen) Wilkes (1969-1972), Mrs. Hugh (Cora) Reid (1972-1975), Mrs. Duane (Elaine) Williams (1975-1977), Mrs. James (Vera) Holmes (1977-1979), Mrs. Norman (Ella) Inwood (1979-1983), Mrs. M.E. (Eleanor) Kingsbury (1983-1986), Mrs. Douglas (Helen) Brown (1986-1989), Mrs. Corolyn Lawlor (1989-1991), and Mrs. Joy Lloyd (1992-1993). NOTES Information in the Administrative Sketch was derived from: the fonds, Fifty Years of Achievement / The Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – Ontario Women’s Institute Story / Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – “Adelaide Hoodless” from Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online <www.biographi.ca/index-e.html>. – “Social Control or Social Feminism? Two Views of the Ontario Women’s Institute” from Agricultural History / Linda Ambrose and Margaret Kechnie. – “‘But on the Farm… Feminism Means Something Else’: Ontario Farm Women and Feminism, 1900-1970” Thesis from Queen’s University, Library and Archives Canada / Monda Halpern. – Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario website <www.fwio.on.ca>.

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute was founded on October 5, 1992 with Mrs. Barbara Weese as the first President. As of 2009, Lennox and Addington District is still in existence. There were fifteen branches within the district when Lennox and Addington District was formed in 1992. These branches were: Amherst Island 1900-present, Millhaven 1955-1994, Hawley 1967-present, Maple Leaf 1914-2002, Wilton 1925-present, Camden East 1927-present, Reidville 1928-present, Tamworth 1921-2004, Roblin 1931-present, Victoria II 1936-present, Maple Ridge 1933-present, Grandview 1951-present, Centennial 1967-present, Hay Bay 1960-present, and Adolphustown 1901-1995. The main responsibility of the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Volume I of Lennox and Addington District Tweedsmuir histories contains information on the district history and the story of amalgamation, a list of officers, Tweedsmuir reports, curator reports, programmes, photocopies of newspaper articles, biographies, awards, photographs from the Napanee Fair and the Canada Day Parade and workshops. The Tweedsmuir also contains a list of locations where the annual meeting was held and a list of winners of various Women’s Institute scholarships. Volume II of the district Tweedsmuir is similar to Volume I in content. Specifically, Volume II contains certificates, information on projects hosted by R.O.S.E. (Rural Ontario Sharing Education), photos from the 2008 “Peek-A-Boo” calendar for Napanee District Community Foundation, and programmes from the Kingston Area Conventions. The district held a number of “Short Courses” where all of the branches were allowed to send representatives. Some of these “Short Courses” include Flower Arrangements and Rice Paper Lamp Shades. Recently, Lennox and Addington District made a substantial donation to the Lennox and Addington County General Hospital. Some of the curators for Lennox and Addington District were Mrs. Anna Hitchins and Mrs. Cora Reid (1994-1995), Mrs. Cora Reid and Mrs. Millie Roberton (1995-1996), and Mrs. Cora Reid and Mrs. Maysil Morgan (1996-2000). Some of the past Women’s Institute Presidents of Lennox and Addington District were: Mrs. Barbara Weese (1993), Mrs. Nancy Bye (1993-1995), Mrs. Marion Wannamaker (1995-1997), Mrs. Carolyn Lawlor (1997-1999), Mrs. Valerie Smith (1999-2001; 2002-2008), Mrs. Mary Morey (2001-2002),

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a Tweedsmuir History, minute and cash books, receipts and financial statements, reports and attendance register for the annual district meeting, pertaining to the activities of the Addington District Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Reports Series 3: Tweedsmuir history books Series 4: Publications Series 5: Attendance Register

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of the Addington District Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Archives in 1977, with subsequent accruals in 1988 and 2000. The records received in 2000 were accessioned in 2009. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Archives from the Addington District Women’s Institute the following accession numbers: 978.107, 978.114 – 978.119, 988.145, 2009.96, 2010.97

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area