Adath Jeshurun Congregation (Ottawa, Ont.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Adath Jeshurun Congregation (Ottawa, Ont.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Congregation was founded in 1892, with John Dover, merchant, serving as the first President from 1890 to 1893. Other founders included Aaron Harris, manufacturer, Abraham Kranf, trader, Morris Adler, trader and Michael Fine, trader. The first Adath Jeshurun Synagogue was a small building on Murray Street in 1895. Between 1890 and 1895, religious services were conducted at the homes of Moses Bilsky and John Dover, or at the homes of the leading members of the day. In 1904 the congregation moved into a new synagogue, the King Edward Street shul. The Synagogue Building Committee was chaired by Archibald Freiman, then only 21 years of age. He presided over the Congregation from 1904 until 1930. In 1910 the Hebrew Institute was added. The Adath Jeshurun Congregation became the principal, orthodox congregation of the Ottawa Jewish community during the first half of the twentieth century. When the Diamond Jubilee was celebrated in 1952, two of the original, congregation members, Jacob Freedman and Bernard Smith were part of the festivities. Ottawa born David Petegorsky, Executive Director, American Jewish Congress, was the guest speaker at the anniversary banquet. In 1956, Adath Jeshurun Congregation, along with Agudath Achim Congregation, joined together to form the Beth Shalom Congregation on Chapel Street. The first Cantor and Shochet was Rev. Jacob Mirsky who served the congregation from 1892 until 1942, followed by Rev. Joseph Rabin, and Rev. Harry Weissbord. Rabbi Simon Fyne served from 1912-1920, followed by Rabbi Max Mintz, Rabbi Dr. Julius Leikin, Rabbi Nathan Kollin and United Synagogue Rabbis Abraham H. Freedman, William Margolis, Oscar Z. Fasman, Emanuel L. Lifschutz and Simon L. Eckstein. Benjamin Pearl served as Congregation Secretary from 1912 to 1948 when he was succeeded by Herman Roodman.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC