Showing 17497 results

People and organizations

Jamieson, Glenna, b. 1938

  • Person
  • b. 1938

Glenna Jamieson (b. 1938) is a descendant of Belle Chone Oliver, a medical missionary to India who has collected and researched her family history.

Henry, Edwin Arthur, 1866-1938

  • Person
  • 1866-1938

Edwin Arthur Henry was born in Montreal in 1866. He was educated at the University of Toronto and at Knox College. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1895. He served as a Presbyterian and then as a United Church minister in various charges in Ontario and British Columbia until his retirement. Rev. Henry died in 1938.

Harmony United Church (Brantford, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1994-

Harmony United Church, located at 268 Marlborough Street in Brantford, was established on August 31, 1994 with the amalgamation of Cainsville United Church in Brantford and Marlboro United Church in Brantford. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Cainsville United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Cainsville Wesleyan Methodist Circuit was formed ca. 1851, and included Onondaga, Burkholder's Church, New Brick Church, Hall's Corners (now Binbrooke), Plank Road (now Langford), Fisher's Church, Glanford, Bell's Church, Bowman's Church, Seneca, Caledonia, Mud Church, Ancaster, Mount Hope; it was discontinued in 1874 when the Methodist Church of Canada was formed. Cainsville Methodist Circuit was formed ca. 1874, and included Onondaga, New England Church, Bethesda Church, Ancaster, Plank Road (now Langford), Saltsprings, Newport, and Brant; it was discontinued in 1925 when the United Church of Canada was formed. Cainsville Methodist Church was established in 1874, formerly Wesleyan Methodist. It joined the United Church in 1925 and was part of Cainsville Pastoral Charge, which included Langford and Elm Street Church. Cainsville United Church was discontinued in 1994 when the congregation amalgamated with Marlboro United Church to form Harmony United Church in the Marlboro church building.

Marlboro United Church , also known as Marlboro Street United Church, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Marlboro Street Methodist Church was established ca. 1912 and it joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It closed in 1994 when the congregation amalgamated with Cainsville United Church.

Redelmeier, Francis, 1920-2001

  • Person
  • 1920-2001

Francis M. Redelmeier (1920-2001) started farming east of Maple in Richmond Hill in 1940. He was the chairman of the World Jersey Cattle Bureau and was added to the Ontario Agricultural Hall of Fame (OAHF) for his contributions to the Jersey breed and milk pricing formulae development. He lived at Patch Farms with his wife, Elizabeth Ruth Redelmeier, and was a strong opponent of the Keele Valley Landfill.

Francis M. Redelmeier

  • Person
  • 1920-2001

Francis M. Redelmeier (1920-2001) started farming east of Maple in Richmond Hill in 1940. He was the chairman of the World Jersey Cattle Bureau and was added to the Ontario Agricultural Hall of Fame (OAHF) for his contributions to the Jersey breed and milk pricing formulae development. He lived at Patch Farms with his wife, Elizabeth Ruth Redelmeier, and was a strong opponent of the Keele Valley Landfill.

Robarts, Jacqueline "Jackie"

  • Person
  • 1929-

Jacqueline “Jackie” Robarts was born in Windsor, Ontario in 1929, and spent much of her youth there and in Brantford, Ontario. She graduated from Hamilton Civic Hospitals School of Nursing in 1954. She also attended the University of Toronto, where she obtained a certificate in Nursing Education in 1956, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in 1961.

Robarts went on to become the Director of Nursing at Chatham Public General Hospital, where she oversaw the opening of a nurses’ education building in January 1964. When the Osler School of Nursing opened its doors in 1966, the Board appointed Robarts as the Principal of the School, a position she held until the School was absorbed by Humber College in 1973.

In 1974 Robarts was appointed the first woman Principal of the North, Osler, and Quo Vadis campuses of Humber College, a role she held until her appointment as Vice President of Academic at Humber in 1977.

In 1978 Robarts was appointed President of Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology, the first woman president of a Community College in Ontario. Robarts held that position until her retirement in 1990.

After her retirement, Robarts lived in Fonthill, Ontario with Marion Cameron, until Marion’s death in 2013.

Parkview United Church (Stratford, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

Parkview United Church, located at 470 Ontario Street in Stratford, was established in 1925. The congregation began as the East End Sunday School in 1924 as an inter-denominational school. Shortly after the formation of the United Church of Canada, the East End Sunday School became a congregation of the United Church of Canada in July 1925. A church building was constructed in 1926; a second building was built in 1962. In 2007, members of Centennial United Church in Stratford joined Parkview, following the closure of that congregation. Parkview is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Grace Patterson Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-1989

Adelaide Hoodless inspired the creation of Women’s Institutes in order to educated women on the signifance of home and country. She also created Home Economics courses for schools and gave speeches about the importance of creating a healthy home for the family. Her aims and goals are reflected in the Women’s Institutes of Canada which strive to make their communities safe and happy as well as reaching out to the less fortunate in Canada and countries around the world.

In 1919, a group of girls started the Grace Country Club in honour of Grace Patterson who was doing missionary work in India. The club continued in this way until 1945 when members wanted an organization change. Officers were nominated and the club became part of the Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario. The W.I. contributes to projects and programs in their community of Thamesford.

In 1989, it was decided to disband the Grace Patterson W.I. due to a decrease in new membership and the difficulty in nominating new officers. A vote was taken which resulted in an 18-1 vote for disbanding.

St. John's Stevensville United Church (Stevensville, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

St. John's Stevensville United Church, located at 14789 Sodom Road in Stevensville, was established in 1992 with the amalgamation of St. John's United Church and Stevensville United Church. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Stevensville United Church was established in 1925, formerly Methodist; it closed in 1991.
St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church was established in 1834; it joined the United Church in 1956 as St. John's United Church, commonly referred to as Snyder.
Willoughby Evangelical Church, established in 1839, became the Willoughby Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1946; it joined the United Church in 1968 and closed in 1991.
Stevensville-Snyder-Willoughby Pastoral Charge formed in 1978 and included Stevensville United Church, St. John's United Church in Snyder and Willoughby United Church; it dissolved with the closure of both Stevensville United Church and Willoughby United Church.

Wesley United Church (Stouffville, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

Wesley United Church, located at 15296 Woodbine Ave, Stouffville in the Vandorf area, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The Methodist Church was constructed at Wesley Corners in 1881. The congregation joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It formed part of Temperanceville Pastoral Charge until May 31, 2017 when it formed its own separate charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

South Mersea Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

South Mersea Pastoral Charge was established ca. 1973 when Hillman Church in Leamington and Wesley Church in Mersea Township split from Mersea Pastoral Charge to form a new two-point charge. It became a single-point charge following the closure of Wesley in 2005. It is still an active charge of the United Church of Canada.

Hillman United Church, located at County Road 37 and Concession 2 in Leamington, was established in 1925. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Wesley United Church in Mersea Township closed on July 30, 2005

Allenford - Park Head Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-

Allenford - Park Head Pastoral Charge, formerly known as Allenford Pastoral Charge, was formed ca. 1932 when Park Head United Church joined Allenford to form a two-point pastoral charge. It is still an active pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada.

Allenford United Church, located at 7763 Highway 21, South Bruce Peninsula, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Allenford Methodist Church was established in 1876 and was later part of a circuit including Elsinore, North Derby, County Line (Salem) and Skipness. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and first formed a single-point pastoral charge until ca. 1932 when Park Head and Allenford created a two-point charge. It is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Park Head United Church, located at 59 Park Head Road, South Bruce Peninsula, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. Park Head Methodist Church was established in 1874 as a Wesleyan Methodist church and was part of a circuit that included Hepworth and Zion Amabel. In 1891, the original log church was replaced with the current building. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 as part of the Hepworth Pastoral Charge. Around 1932, it joined Allenford to form a two-point charge. It is still an active congregation of he Untied Church of Canada.

Results 1 to 20 of 17497