Showing 19526 results

People and organizations

Crusz, Rienzi, W.G.

  • Person
  • 1925-2017

Rienzi Crusz was a poet and retired librarian living in Waterloo, ON. Born in Galle, Sri Lanka, Crusz was educated at the University of Ceylon (B.A. Hons.) and was employed as Chief Research Librarian for the Central Bank of Ceylon. After emigrating to Canada in 1965, he attended the University of Toronto (B.L.S.) and the University of Waterloo (M.A.). He worked at the University of Toronto Library and in 1969 was appointed as a reference and collections development librarian at the University of Waterloo, a position he held until his retirement in 1993.
His creative work first began to appear in periodicals and newspapers in 1968, and in 1974, his first collection of poems was published under the title Flesh and thorn. Since then, numerous other collections have been published. Crusz was an active voice among Canadian immigrant poets, and his work depicts the contrasts between South Asian and Canadian life. In 1994, he won the literature award in the Kitchener-Waterloo Arts Awards. He died in Waterloo in 2017.

Lobo Township Historical Society

  • MIddlesex Centre Archives
  • Corporate body
  • 1987-present

On 31 March 1987, a group of 35 to 40 people interested in the history of Lobo Township met to discuss the role they could have in preserving the history of Lobo Township. From the discussion it was agreed to form the Lobo Township Historical Society. It was suggested that if there was enough interest and funding available a committee would be created for the purpose of publish a Lobo Township history book.
The history book committee was comprised of senior citizens who could then apply for the New Horizons Program under the Department of Health and Welfare. The application for the New Horizons grant was submitted on 15 June 1988. A ten-thousand-dollar grant was obtained, and the work started. According to a history written by Carol Small, volunteer and Executive Member of the Book Committee, “The Lobo Township Heritage Group had two goals which were:
To publish a book about Lobo Township history of the highest caliber so that municipalities in Middlesex County would also take part in the project; and

  1. to establish an archives for all the materials that were copied and saved from the project. “ (Small)
    The book entitled The Heritage of Lobo 1820-1990 was officially launched in December 1990.
    "On January 20, 1999 Lobo Township Historical Society amended its constitution to include the three former townships of Lobo, London and Delaware. It expanded Historical Society was renamed Middlesex Centre Historical Society.
    In 2013 the Middlesex Centre Archives was established with the support of the Municipality of Middlesex Centre. Residual profits from the sales of the Heritage of Lobo were transferred to the Middlesex Centre Archives in June 2013 bringing the goals of the Group to fruition." (Small)

Kushner, Eva

  • Person
  • 1929-

Eva Kushner is a noted scholar in the fields of Comparative and French Literature, as well as in Renaissance, Canadian and Quebec literature. Born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1929, Eva Dubska lived in France, 1939–1945, then returned briefly to Czechoslovakia after World War II, before coming to Canada in 1946. In 1949 she married Donn Kushner, who would become a distinguished Professor of Microbiology at the University of Ottawa from 1965–1988 before coming to the University of Toronto. The Kushners had three sons, Daniel, Roland and Paul. Donn Kushner died in 2001.

She received her university education at McGill University: B.A. (Philosophy and Psychology,1948), M.A. (Philosophy, 1950), and Ph.D. (French Literature, 1956). Her teaching career began in 1952 and in the 1950's she was a Lecturer at various institutions, including McGill, and University College London. In 1961 she began teaching at Carleton University, achieving the position of Full Professor (French and Comparative Literature) in 1969. She joined McGill in 1976 as Professor of French and Comparative Literature and as Director of the Department of French Language and Literature. Professor Kushner was named President of Victoria University in 1987; she served two terms there until 1994, continuing to teach, as well as acting as the Director of the Northrop Frye Centre, 1988–1994. Becoming Professor Emeritus of French Literature in 1994, she maintained an active teaching and writing career, as well as attending and delivering papers at a number of international conferences.

Throughout her career Professor Kushner contributed to the academic world in many capacities, including serving as Chair of the Royal Society of Canada Committee on Freedom of Scholarship and Science, 1993–1998, as a member of the Canada Council Advisory Academic Panel and Executive Committee, 1975–1981, and the Modern Language Association of America Executive Council, 1983–1988. She is the author of numerous scholarly publications and articles, in addition to her significant contributions to national and international conferences and symposia. Professor Kushner was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1997.

McCullum, Hugh, 1931-2008

  • Person
  • 1931-2008

Hugh McCullum (1931 – 2008) was the son of an Anglican priest and born and raised in the Yukon.

A graduate of McGill University, he began his career with the Montreal Herald, then moved on to the Kingston Whig-Standard, the Regina Leader-Post, and the former Toronto Telegram.

Mr. McCullum was named editor/publisher of The United Church Observer in 1980. He was not only the first layperson appointed as editor, he was also the first editor who came from outside The United Church. McCullum had also been editor of the national newspaper Canadian Churchman (predecessor to the Anglican Journal) for the Anglican Church of Canada from 1968-75.

As editor of The Observer, McCullum presided over the magazine’s transition from an arm of the General Council to an independently incorporated publication with full editorial autonomy. While editor of the Observer he travelled extensively, reporting on church-backed struggles for justice in Canada’s North, in Central America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. McCullum won dozens of church press awards and was a three-time National Magazine Awards winner. During his time at The Observer, he also hosted CBC TV’s Meeting Place, from 1984 to 1989.

McCullum’s books and publications reflected his belief that the church needs to be a voice of the marginalized: Africa’s Broken Heart (2007), The Angels Have Left Us (2005) and Radical Compassion (2004), a biography of Archbishop Ted Scott, former primate of the Anglican Church of Canada.

McCullum moved to Zimbabwe in 1990 and worked on numerous ecumenical projects including training programs for African journalists.

McCullum returned to his family in Canada in 2002. At the time of his death, he was working with Aboriginal groups on issues relating to northern resource development.

Kitchener-Waterloo Record

  • Corporate body
  • 1878-

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)

Brown Family, 1900-

  • Family
  • 1900-

Jennifer Brown (1940-) is the great-granddaughter of Rev. Egerton Ryerson Young and daughter to Harcourt Brown who was the and nephew to E. Ryerson Young. She is a professor emeritus of history at the University of Winnipeg and author. She has done extensive research on her ancestry and indigenous history in Canada and the United States.

Harcourt Brown (1900-1990) was the maternal grandson of Rev. Egerton Ryerson Young and nephew to E. Ryerson Young. He conducted extensive research on his ancestry.

Lacey, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1895-1966

Thomas Lacey, a voice and trance medium, was born in Glossop, Derbyshire, England on November 4, 1895. Lacey immigrated to Canada in March, 1923. Lacey began conducting séances in Hamilton and the Kitchener-Waterloo region in 1931 and continued throughout the 1960's. He rose to prominence in 1932 when he was noticed as a medium at Lily Dale in New York. A trumpet medium, Lacey would use the spirit of his brother Walter, who died at a young age, as a spirit guide and those at his séances experienced materializations and automatic writing. Thomas Lacey died on June 17, 1966 at age 70.

Reaman, George Elmore

  • Person
  • 1889-1969

George Elmore Reaman was an author, educator, lecturer and columnist. Born at Concord Ontario on July 22, 1889, he received his later education at the University of Toronto (B.A. 1911; M.A. 1913), McMaster University (M.A. 1916), Queen's University (B. Paed. 1917), and Cornell University (Phd. 1920). Employment included teaching at Moose Jaw College (1913 14), Woodstock College (1915), Educational Director of the Y.M.C.A., Toronto from 1920 to 1924, editor at the Macmillan Co. of Canada, Superintendent of the Boys Training School at Bowmanville from 1925 to 1932, principal of Glen Lawrence School, Toronto from 1932 to 1939, Head of the English Department, Ontario Agricultural College from 1939 to 1954 and Director of Adult Education at the University of Waterloo from 1957 to his retirement in 1967. In 1967 he was awarded a Centennial medal; in 1969 he received an honourary doctorate from the University of Waterloo.
G.E. Reaman was active in a number of organizations and held office in most of them: first Canadian president of the International Association for Exceptional Children, also first Canadian President of the International Platform Association. He was founder of several historical organizations, among them the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society, the Ontario Ontario Genealogical Society and of the Huguenot Society of Ontario. He also published more than twenty books, the first of which was English for New Canadians, first published in 1919 and re-published over a period of 30 years. His historical publications include Trail of the Black Walnut (1956); Trail of the Huguenots (1963); Trail of the Iroquois Indians and History of Agriculture in Ontario, 1969.
G.E. Reaman married Flora Josephine Green in 1914 and had one daughter, Elaine. He died December 7, 1969.

Smucker, Barbara Classen

  • Person
  • 1915-2003

Children's author and librarian Barbara Classen Smucker was born September 1, 1915 in Newton, Kansas. Barbara began writing in elementary school and would later go on to earn a degree in journalism from Kansas State University in 1936. After university she taught English and eventually returned to her hometown in 1939 to work as a reporter for the Evening Kansas Republican until 1941. In 1939 Barbara married Donovan Smucker who she had interviewed for the paper. Donovan was a Mennonite Minister and the couple moved to Wadsworth, Ohio where he pastored a church. Donovan later took a job at the Mennonite Biblical Seminary in Chicago where Barbara got the idea for her first book, Henry's Red Sea. From 1967-1969 the couple lived in West Point, Mississippi where Donovan was president of Mary Holmes College. In 1969 they moved to Ontario when Donovan accepted an offer to teach at Conrad Grebel College.

Barbara became a children's librarian at Kitchener Public Library (1969-1977) and then head librarian of Renison College (1977-1982). During this time Barbara continued to write, producing some of her most famous works including Underground to Canada (1977) and Days of Terror (1979). In 1993 the couple moved to Bluffton, Ohio where she would continue to write and speak to children about reading. In all, Barbara wrote 12 books which were published in 16 countries and translated into such languages as Japanese, Danish, Swedish, French and German. She and her books received numerous awards including the Canadian Council Children's Literature Prize and an honorary doctorate from the University of Waterloo. Barbara Smucker died in Bluffton in 2003.

Maines Pincock Family

  • Family
  • 1887-1985

Jenny O'Hara Pincock, Canadian spiritualist, author and musician, was born in Madoc, Hastings County, Ontario in 1890, where her great-grandfather had been a settler. She studied music at the Ontario Ladies' College in Whitby, Ont. (ca. 1908) and at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto (ca. 1912). On June 15, 1915 she married osteopath Robert Newton Pincock and moved with him to St. Catharines. Ont. where he maintained a practice. Newton Pincock died in 1928.

Jenny Pincock's sister Minnie O'Hara Maines, married Fred Maines in 1922. Fred Maines was educated at Victoria University, Toronto and was ordained to the ministry while serving with the YMCA overseas during the WWI. After the war he served as Boys' Work secretary for the Hamilton YMCA and as general secretary of the YMCA in Hamilton and Galt. He served during for five years with the YMCA War Services during WWII. He was minister of the Church of Divine Revelation in St. Catharine's, Ont. from 1930 to 1935. In 1935 he and Minnie moved to Kitchener, Ont. to pursue business interests. He died April 13, 1959.

In 1927, together with her sister Minnie and brother-in-law Rev. Fred J.T. Maines, Jenny Pincock began to organize seances with Mr. William Cartheuser, an American medium, in St. Catharines, Ontario. Notes were kept of these seances and much of that material appeared in published form in Pincock's Trails of Truth (Los Angeles: Austin Publishing Co., 1930). In 1930 they founded the Church of Divine Revelation in St. Catharines, Ont., with Fred Maines as ordained minister. In 1932 the Radiant Healing Centre was established. In 1935 Jenny Pincock ceased connection with William Cartheuser and with the Church of Divine Revelation. In 1937 she moved to Kitchener, Ont and in 1942 she purchased and moved to property formerly owned by her grandfather near Madoc. She died in 1948 or 1949.

A book of verse by Jenny Pincock entitled Hidden Springs was published posthumously (Privately printed, 1950) with an introduction by E.J. Pratt.

The Pincock/O'Hara/Maines circle of friends was wide, and included E.J. Pratt and his wife, Viola Whitney Pratt; B.F. Austin, the noted Canadian spiritualist; the widow of Sir Charles G.D. Roberts; Phoebe Watson; William Arthur Deacon; W.W.E. Ross; Mildred Ghent, wife of Toronto Telegram writer, Percy Ghent, and many others interested in spiritualism in Canada and elsewhere.

Saundercook, R.J. (Roland James)

  • Person
  • 1925-1945

Roland James Saundercook was born January 25th, 1925 in Collins Bay, Ontario to Helen Bernice Saundercook (nee Yeomans) (1902-1962) and Bruce Madden Saundercook (1901-1962). Roland James had three siblings, an older brother Roy James Saundercook (1922), who died as an infant before Roland James was born, and two younger sisters, Joan Saundercook and Betty Saundercook.

Roland James joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and began training in Toronto as early as September 1942. He was given the service number 269079 and his trade was determined as air gunner. In late April 1944, he was sent overseas to the United Kingdom where he became part of the Royal Air force squadron 576. In this squadron he would have been based out of RAF Elsham Wolds, Lincolnshire until October 31, 1944, when the entire squadron relocated to RAF Fiskerton, Lincolnshire.

Roland James, with a rank of flight Sergeant, was an air gunner as part of the team that operated the Avro Lancaster plane identified as Lancaster I PB785. The other men on the specific team were Frank Edmond (pilot), John Eve (engineer), James Stanley Marks Gibbs (wireless op), William Frederick Nicol (navigator), Edward James Peverley (tail air gunner), and Donald Swallow Quinn (air bomber). During the evening of March 16th 1945, this team took off for a night flight, however they crashed in Germany March 17th leaving no survivors. Roland James Saundercook was 20 years of age. He and the other crew members are buried at DurnBach War Cemetery, Germany.

Wilson, Florence Mary

  • 2005.27
  • Person
  • 1911-2005

Florence Mary Wilson (nee Reid) was born January 4, 1911 in Odessa, Ontario to her parents Stanley (1880-1957) and Elizabeth Reid (nee McFarland) (1877-1965). Florence grew up on a homestead in Odessa with her siblings Hazel (m. Denyes) (1905-1993), Vernon (1916-2003), and Harvey (1907-1987). Florence attended Fellows Public School, S.S. 12 and Odessa Continuation School in Ernestown Township before going on to teachers’ college at The Peterborough Normal School with the Class of 1930-1931. She taught briefly in Ernestown until marrying Meredith MacFaul Wilson, son of Thomas Wilson (1859-1943) and Margaret Blanche Wilson (1875-1962), on October 16, 1935. Together they lived in Enterprise, Ontario until Meredith’s death on June 9, 1959 at the age of fifty. Meredith’s death led Florence to return to teaching, working first as a supply teacher in Ernestown, and then as a teacher of students with mental and physical disabilities in the Kingston area from 1963 until 1971. Florence was an active community member within Emmanuel United Church, Odessa and as a volunteer with the Lennox and Addington Historical Society and Helen Henderson Care Centre in Amherstview. Florence was a hobbyist genealogist and great appreciator of history, devoting much of her time to studying her family’s history and that of Lennox and Addington County. Florence Wilson died February 28, 2005 in Kingston at the age of ninety-four, and is buried at Reidville Cemetery with her late husband Meredith.

Crofts, George

  • Person
  • 1871-1925

George Patrick Crofts was born on November 22, 1871 in Bermondsey London. He married Margaret Hardie Wilson on April 19, 1902. Crofts worked as a fur trader in Tientsin China. He died in London England on April 5, 1925. It is unclear whether he had any children. He may or may not have had a daughter Elizabeth Alcamia Crofts Rendall (some sources say he had no children).

Shining Waters Presbyterial UCW

  • Corporate body
  • 1911; 1962-2012

Shining Waters Presbyterial UCW (United Church Women) is a Peterborough, Ontario, organization. Prior to 2013, it was known as Peterborough UCW Presbyterial. Shining Waters Presbterial UCW is part of a larger organization, United Church Women, formally established in 1962 through the amalgamation of two United Church women’s groups, the Woman’s Association and the Woman’s Missionary Society. As stated in Voices of United Church Women, 1962-2002, the UCW’s purpose is “to unite the women of the congregation for the total mission of the church and to provide a medium through which we may express our loyalty and devotion to Jesus Christ in Christian witness, study, fellowship and service.” (p.v)

Ontario Camps Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973; 1991-2018

In 1900 A.L. Cochrane established the first private camp in Ontario. By 1925, the number of private camps in Ontario had increased to only six or seven. The camps established during this time period (1900-1925) were mainly for boys over the age of thirteen. Co-ed camps were unheard of at this time. As of 1925, the private camps were making headway in their development and agency camps, such as the Y.M.C.A., were opening up across the province. The leaders and directors of these camps, wanting to keep abreast of new trends, began to regularly attend the American Camping Association conventions, due to the absence of a Canadian or Ontario camping association. This situation, although helpful to the evolution of camps in Ontario, was not ideal. Issues relevant to Canadian camps, and camp leaders and directors, were not being addressed by the American association. As a result, the camp leaders in Ontario decided to form their own group. In the first few years, the meetings were informal, and held in private homes. The first members were A.L. Cochrane, H.E. Chapman, Mary Edgar, Mary Hamilton, Fern Halliday, and Taylor and Ethel Statten. One of the main topics of discussion centered on the need for a camping association in Ontario. In 1933, this group of private camp leaders and directors formally founded the Ontario Camping Association. Taylor Statten was made the first chairman of the Association. It was decided by the founding members that the Association would not just be for private camps, but would be open to anyone engaged in any aspect of camping. The interests of the founders of the Association encompassed the development and maintenance of high camping standards in the field of camping for children and an appreciation of the wider aspects of the camping movement. They believed that through discussion and consideration of common camping policies and problems, and by mutual exchange of ideas and knowledge, better camping would be achieved. The Ontario Camping Association was responsible for the development and implementation of standards for Ontario's children's camps, and, in 1941, in conjunction with the Provincial Department of Health, made the licensing of all camps mandatory. The headquarters of the Association are located in Toronto, Ontario. In 2012, the Ontario Camping Association changed its name to Ontario Camps Association.

Alan Brunger

Professor Alan Brunger was educated in England (B.Sc.Hons. Southampton 1963) and came to Canada in 1964 for graduate work, first in Alberta (M.Sc. Calgary 1966) and later in Ontario (Ph.D. Western Ontario 1973). He joined the faculty in Geography at Trent University in 1969 and has lectured and undertaken research mainly in historical geography within Canada, Australia and South Africa. His main research interest is in the pattern and process of nineteenth century immigration and settlement. Professor Brunger retired from the Geography Department at Trent University in 2008.

Results 1 to 20 of 19526