- Corporate body
In 1862 Jacob Marsh married Louisa Woods from Coldstream, Ontario and they took over the running of the general store previously owned by the Woods family. When Mrs. Woods died the building was moved across the street near the woolen and saw mills. These mills were already owned by the Marsh family. Some records from these mills are included in this fonds.
In 1870, additional living quarters were added to the building. Around this time the Great Western Railway and Telegraph Company ran its lines through Coldstream and Komoka and the office was located in the Marsh store with one of Jacob’s daughters acting was the operator.
The Marsh Store became the centre for other area businesses and services. The included the community library which was situated in one of the back room and the local telephone company in 1908. The Lobo Mutual Fire Insurance Company started in 1886 with Jacob as the manager of the company. Other organizations included the local lecture club and even the Town Council.
The Marsh store was taken over by Jacob’s youngest son until his death in 1955. In 1977 the St Clair Region Conservation Authority purchased the property with the plan to restore the property. The Marsh Store was restored but eventually the property was sold and remains in Coldstream currently still operating as a business.