Showing 19500 results

People and organizations

The Sudbury Star

  • 023
  • Corporate body
  • 1909 - Present

The Sudbury Star first began publishing its newspaper on January 11, 1909, under the name the Daily Northern Star. Headed by publisher and editor George J. Ashworth, the Daily Northern Star was the first daily newspaper to be printed north of Toronto and focused on local events while still reporting on provincial, national, and international news. After only six months of operation, the newspaper encountered financial difficulties. William Edge Mason, a printing foreman in the mechanical department, sought financial assistance from ten prominent local men willing to donate $3,000 each to ensure the continuation of the operation. With their assistance, the newspaper was back on the streets within a month. The paper became known as the Daily Star and, by March 1910, the newspaper was renamed the Sudbury Daily Star. Later that year, financial support was again required, and the newspaper cut its publication down from six days a week to two and was renamed again the Sudbury Star. Following these first financial setbacks in 1909, Ashworth resigned and William Edge Mason became owner and publisher of the newspaper until his death in 1948. The newspaper became a three-times a week publication in 1935, and returned to daily status, six days a week, in September 1939. In 1992, Sunday publications first began, and the Sudbury Star published its newspaper seven days a week. This practice continued until the end of February 2003, when the Sunday publications ceased. As of December 17, 2018, the newspaper publishes five days a week (Tuesday to Saturday) in print and digital format.

Newspaper editions of the Sudbury Star could be purchased individually or by subscription. Early subscribers could obtain editions of the newspaper by post or by telephoning the Sudbury Star which would then promptly deliver the newspaper. The first delivery career program for the Sudbury Star began September 3, 1940. The news careers, sometimes referred to as "newsboys" or "delivery career boys" consisted of many young boys who, during the early years, wore a white t-shirt with "The Sudbury Daily Star" printed on the front in blue lettering and carried the newspapers inside a thick delivery bag with a shoulder strap. The delivery careers were trained and each given a route by the Sudbury Star to deliver the newspaper daily to subscribers at work or at home. The routes included Sudbury, Copper Cliff, Creighton, Coniston, Garson and Falconbridge, Ontario. Eventually, young girls also became careers and the routes expanded to include all the communities which are now a part of Greater Sudbury.

Over the years, the Sudbury Star office has occupied numerous locations in downtown Sudbury. First located in the Gagne Block building on Elm Street, the office then moved into the Grand Theatre building (known as the Empire Theatre building after renovations in the late 1940’s and renamed the Grand Theatre by the 1980’s) at 24 Elgin Street. In 1916, the office moved to 18 Serpentine Street in Copper Cliff but returned to downtown by October of 1917, this time setting up in the Morin Building at 21-23 Elgin Street. In the early 1920’s, the Sudbury Star office moved back to the Gagne Block building at 22 Elm Street and the corner of Monck Street (now called Frood Road) where it remained for many years before finally setting up at 33 MacKenzie Street in 1961, where it resided until October 2013. The Sudbury Star’s office then moved to 198 Pine Street and in early 2020, relocated again to Suite 103, 888 Regent Street.

In addition to publishing its newspaper, the Sudbury Star also operated a printing company known as Sudbury Star Print (by 1929 known as Sudbury Star Printers and Publishers and then by 1940 as Sudbury Star Publishers Ltd). Beginning in the early 1910’s, they printed catalogues and various advertisements for local businesses in the Sudbury area. Later publications include the Real Estate Guide and special business anniversary publications.

Sudbury Star Owners:
• George J. Ashworth 1909
• William Edge Mason 1909-1948
• W.E. Mason Estate 1948-1950
• J.R. Meakes 1950-1955
• Thomson Newspapers 1955-1988
• The Thomson Corporation 1989-2000
• Osprey Media LP 2001-2007
• Sun Media Corporation 2007-2015
• Postmedia Network Canada Corporation 2015-Present

Publisher and General Manager:
• George J. Ashworth 1909
• William Edge Mason 1909-1948
• J.R. Meakes 1950-1975
• John Friesen 1975-1981
• Don R. Herron 1981-1986
• Maurice H. Switzer 1986-1992
• Jon C. Butler 1992-1995
• Ken Seguin 1995-2003
• Dan Johnson 2003-2004
• David Kilgour 2004-2009, 2013-2014
• Bruce Cowan 2009-2013

Publisher:
• Karsten Johansen 2014-2020
• Andre Grandchamp 2020

Chisholm, Ann Eva

  • 016-.1
  • Person
  • 1924-2000

Eeva Annikki Kantokoski was born May 8, 1924 in Alajärvi, Finland to Matias (Matti) Niilo Kantokoski (born 1901), and his wife Anna Milia (born 1903). The family name was shortened from Kantokoski to Koski, but it is unclear when exactly this occurred. Eeva Annikki and her parents immigrated to Canada in 1924. They arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on August 2, 1924, and then settled in Sudbury, Ontario. In December 1925, Eeva Annikki’s brother, Veikko Vesa Matias Kantokoski (Koski) was born. Sometime after their arrival in Canada Eeva Annikki's name was changed to Ann Eva, though others often referred to her as Anne, Anni or Annie. The family's early years were spent in Sudbury, Ontario.

After the death of their mother in 1933, Ann and her brother Veikko lived with their father in Sudbury during the summer months and their aunt Ida Marie (Koivula) Lehti in Oshawa during the winter. Ann completed her education in Sudbury, Ontario in 1939, and gained a High School Entrance Certificate, though she did not attend due to the cost. Once she completed her schooling in 1939 she found employment in domestic service for Mrs. J. Ferrier, in Sudbury. Between 1940 and 1941 she worked at Korpela's Grocery Store on Bancroft Drive, and Maki's Restaurant on Elgin Street in Sudbury, Ontario.

In 1942, Ann moved to Malartic, Quebec to work in a bunkhouse and kitchen in a mining town. There she met Archie Chisholm, whom she married in Montreal on May 24, 1942. Their first child, Carl Richard, was born in 1943. When her husband was posted overseas during World War II, Ann returned to Sudbury to stay with relatives, and completed a Red Cross Volunteer Nursing Service course during that time. After the Second World War, Ann and Archie had two more children; Leslie Karen and Barry Neil.

While living in North-western Quebec, Ann contributed her time to the Protestant Elementary School Board and the Canadian Air Force Ground Observer Corps. In 1974, she separated from her husband and moved to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. There she completed high school and went on to study nursing. She became a Certified Nursing Assistant, and obtained a post-graduate diploma in psychiatric nursing. Between 1976 and 1986 she worked at the Nova Scotia Hospital.

Ann Eva Chisholm died on March 12, 2000 at the age of 74, and is buried in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

Roland, Charles Gordon

  • Person
  • 1933 - 2009

Charles (Chuck) Gordon Roland was a physician, writer, medical historian, and the first Hannah Chair for the History of Medicine at McMaster University. Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1933, Dr. Roland studied at the University of Toronto before completing his medical degree at the University of Manitoba. He was a general practitioner in Tillsonburg and Grimsby, Ontario from 1958 to 1964. Following this, Dr. Roland took various roles in teaching, writing, and editing in America, including senior editorship at the Journal of the American Medical Association, lecturing at Northwestern University, and assisting in developing the Mayo Clinic’s medical school, initially holding associate professorship prior to chairing its Department of Biomedical Communications. He became the inaugural Hannah Professor for the History of Medicine at McMaster University in 1977, and retired in 1999. Dr. Roland passed on June 9, 2009, at the age of 76.

Dr. Roland’s research and writing produced a large corpus of work, and he was involved with various associations during his career, including the Toronto Medical History Society and the American Osler Society. Dr. Roland conducted over three hundred oral history interviews pertaining to the history of medicine in wartime, in Canada, and the formation of McMaster University’s School of Medicine. His extensive work regarding wartime medicine in particular produced two monographs about the clandestine Warsaw ghetto medical school, and the experiences of Prisoners-of-War in the Pacific Theater of the Second World War. His other research interests included the medical histories of Canada and Hamilton, and Sir William Osler.

Dr. Roland’s published works include biographies of notable figures in Canadian medical history, Courage under Siege: starvation, disease, and death in the Warsaw ghetto, Long Night’s Journey into Day, bibliographies in the history of Canadian medicine, and many publications related to his research on Sir William Osler. Dr. Roland edited and/or wrote for the Journal of the American Medical Association, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, Clinical Cardiology, Canadian Bulletin of Medical History, the Journal of Anesthesia and Analgesia, and various other medical journals.

Ashworth, George Johnston

  • 023
  • Person
  • 1862-1937

George Johnston Ashworth was born June 26, 1862 in Quebec to William Henry Ashworth (1820-1901) and Jane Murray Ashworth (nee Johnston, 1835-1908). By the late 1860’s, the family moved to Newmarket, Ontario where William Ashworth worked as a hat manufacturer. The fourth of thirteen children, George J. Ashworth entered the family business. He worked as a hat manufacturer with his father and in 1883, both father and son purchased the Newmarket Hat Factory as a joint venture.

During the Northwest Rebellion in 1885, George Ashworth served as a Captain in the 12th Battalion York Rangers. After completing his military service, Ashworth returned to work with the family business in Newmarket. Four years later, Ashworth moved to Toronto, Ontario where two of his brothers were living, and began studying law at Osgoode Hall. By the following year, the rest of his family relocated to Toronto.

During his years as a law student, Ashworth worked at Macdonald & Cartwright, later Macdonald, Cartwright & Garvey, a law firm in Toronto. George J. Ashworth did not graduate from Osgoode Hall and he was never called to the bar in Ontario.

In 1895, Ashworth served as the Secretary and Manager of the Sun Savings and Loan Company. By August 1895, the company was in a state of turmoil as management and shareholders disagreed on how to manage the company. Ashworth was replaced by Samuel Nesbitt during a reorganization but shareholders reappointed him and he subsequently returned to the office with his brother, John Ashworth, who was advising him as his lawyer. The police were called and several individuals were arrested for trespass. In 1896, Samuel Nesbitt was listed as the manager of the company.

By 1898, Ashworth co-founded a mining broker company, Henry A Drummond & George J Ashworth Mining Brokers in Toronto, Ontario. In 1900, Ashworth was employed as the Secretary for the Aqueduct Construction Company but returned to the broker profession by the following year and remained until 1903.

On October 4, 1904, George J. Ashworth married Kathrine Williams (1870-1949) of Hamilton, Ontario in New York. On May 13, 1906, the couple’s only child, George William Ashworth (1906-1998), was born in Toronto, Ontario. By the following year, Ashworth was employed as a reporter for the Toronto Star.

In 1908, George J. Ashworth moved to Sudbury, Ontario where he lived with his wife and son at 149 Elm Street. While in Sudbury, Ashworth started his own newspaper, the Daily Northern Star (aka the Daily Star or the Sudbury Star). The newspaper claimed to be the “first morning daily newspaper between Toronto and the ‘North Pole.’” The first issue of the first edition was published on January 11, 1909. The newspaper’s first issue stated under its article “Why We Are Here,” it was “established solely for the purpose of serving the people and interests of New Ontario first, last, and all the time. It is not the organ of any clique, corporation or political party. We believe that in serving the interests of the whole people we shall be fulfilling our proper destiny.”

After the first six months, the newspaper suffered financial difficulties. The Printing Forman, William Edge Mason, was instrumental in helping find and secure the financial help of local businesses and after the newspaper required additional financial support later in 1910, it reduced its publication to two days a week and was renamed the Sudbury Star. Sometime before January 1910, Ashworth had resigned and Mason became the owner and publisher of the newspaper.

In January 1910, Ashworth visited his sister in Vancouver, British Columbia and shortly after decided to relocate to the west coast. He worked as a reporter for Vancouver World, the News-Advertiser and the Vancouver Sun. In 1920, he ran in the British Columbia General Election in Vancouver for the Vancouver Rentpayers Association party but was not elected.

The Ashworths enjoyed vacationing on Savary Island in British Columbia and during the late 1920s, George J. Ashworth established the Royal Savary Hotel. Ashworth held the positon of manager until his death.

George J. Ashworth passed away on Savary Island in British Columbia on April 13, 1937 at the age of 74.

Mason, William E.

  • 023
  • Person
  • 1882-1948

William E. Mason was born March 2, 1882 in Walkerton, Ontario to David Mason (a carpenter) and Mary Lindsay Mason. Mason was registered under the name William Edgar Mason on his birth certificate but his death record, obituary and grave marker record his name as William Edge Mason. The eldest of six children, Mason began a three-year apprenticeship with the Walkerton Telescope. First as a printer’s devil for the newspaper and, by 1900, as a journeyman printer.

On October 31, 1906, Mason married Alice Maud Tinlin (1877-1945) in St. Catharines, Ontario. The couple met when they were both working for McLaren’s Limited, a dry goods business in St. Catharines. Mason was employed at the company as the advertising manager. At the time of the wedding, Mason was working as a real estate agent in St. Catharines.

The Masons moved to Toronto, Ontario and William E. Mason worked for the newspaper, Toronto Saturday Night as an assistant foreman.

On November 7, 1907, the Masons moved to Sudbury, Ontario. William E. Mason worked as a printer for Sudbury Mining News. He became the printing foreman in the mechanical department for the new newspaper, the Daily Northern Star (later known as the Sudbury Star), which published its first issue on January 11, 1909. After the newspaper suffered financial difficulties, Mason acquired local business investments for the newspaper and became the manager and owner a short time later.

In 1927, Mason acquired the North Bay Nugget. He also started CKSO radio in Sudbury, with the first broadcast from the radio station airing on August 19, 1935.

William E. Mason passed away on June 22, 1948.

Bach, Vicky

  • Person
  • 1951 - 2014

Vicky (Pulver) Bach was a clinical nurse specialist with expertise in gerontology, medicine, and palliative care.

Vicky was born on July 1, 1951 in Barbados to Jewish Romanian parents. Six years later, in 1957, she and her family emigrated to Montreal, Quebec. In 1967, Vicky graduated from high school and entered the workforce, holding secretarial positions at various companies. Five years later, in 1972, she married Joshua Bach and moved with him to Windsor, Ontario, where he attended law school and she continued to work as a secretary. After his graduation, in 1977, they moved to Oakville, then to Hamilton. They were joined the following year by Vicky’s sister, Molly, and her husband. Between 1978 and 1987, Vicky and Molly pursued a freelance typesetting and graphic arts business. During this time, Vicky gave birth to two daughters: Sarah, in 1981, and Eva, in 1986. She also volunteered in the emergency department at McMaster University Medical Centre.

Between 1987 and 1993, Vicky completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing at McMaster, graduating with the highest standing in her class. For the next twelve and a half years, Vicky was employed with Shalom Village, a Jewish non-profit organization in Hamilton that provides services for older adults of all religions, including senior’s apartments and long-term care. There, she held a number of positions including Program Director, Director of Resident Services, Chaplaincy Nurse, and Acting Director of Care. During this time, Vicky became certified in long-term care management and as a parish nurse, and received training in palliative care.

Between 2001 and 2005, Vicky completed a Master of Science in Nursing at McMaster, focusing on decision-making in palliative care. In 2006, she left Hamilton and moved to Abbotsford, British Columbia, where she was employed with the Fraser Health Authority as a clinical nurse specialist, first in Residential Contracts & Services, then in the Older Adult Program, and finally in the Medicine Program. Specialising in acute geriatrics and clinical practice guideline development, Vicky developed documentation and acute staff education related to quality of care, transitions, care planning, care pathways, and nursing ethics. She also served as Adjunct Professor in the School of Nursing at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Her professional involvement included serving as Chair of the Clinical Nurse Specialist Association of British Columbia and as a member of the British Columbia Ministry of Health Seniors’ Hospital Care Working Group.

In July 2013, Vicky was diagnosed ALS, and resigned from her position with the Fraser Health Authority that October. She died on December 31, 2014 at the age of sixty-three.

Stevens Family

  • 021
  • Family
  • 1902 - present (in Canada)

Robert Thomas Stevens [Roberto Tomaso Stefanizzi] was born in Cellara, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy on February 23, 1896 to Gaetano Stefanizzi and Gaetana Caliguiri. At the age of 6, he immigrated to Canada with his uncle Francesco Steffanzzi (aka Frank Stevens d. 1941 age 70) in 1902 while the rest of his family remained in Italy.

As a teenager during the first world war, Stevens operated a commissary at Nobel for the explosives plant employees. Stevens enjoyed being an entrepreneur and in 1918, he decided to venture into the film industry by opening his first theatre in Sudbury on Elm Street East. His theatre business thrived and over the years, Stevens expanded his business with the acquisition of additional theatres in Sturgeon Falls, Creighton Mine and Sault Ste. Marie. For a few years, Stevens also owned a theatre in Espanola. In August 1939, Stevens opened the large Regent Theatre on Elm Street in Sudbury. This theatre was well known for its size in Northeastern Ontario.

On December 4, 1923, Robert Stevens married Florence Boucher, a nurse originally from Whitefish, Ontario. The ceremony was held in Little Current, Ontario. They had six children; Joseph 'Robert' Guy (1924-1968), 'William' Alfred (1926-1988), 'Thomas' Joseph, Anne Marie (1930-2004, married name Ripley), John, and Margaret Theressa.

During the second world war, Robert Stevens, along with many other Italian-born Canadians, was closely monitored by authorities. On August 24, 1940, Stevens was a patient at St. Joseph’s Hospital, suffering from a slight ailment. At 10 a.m. he was arrested on charges, under the Defence of Canada Regulations, for during August 14 to 20, 1940 “making statements intended to, or likely to, prejudice recruiting, training, discipline and administration of His Majesty’s forces,” and “making statements intended to, or likely to, cause disaffection to His Majesty.” He was escorted from his hospital room to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police headquarters for questioning. Afterwards, he was taken to the courthouse. Stevens was denied bail by the Magistrate and placed in a prison cell at the Sudbury District Jail until his trial three days later. Stevens plead guilty to the first charge and was fined $25. The second charge was dropped.

Robert Thomas Stevens became ill in January 1943 and passed away at St. Joseph's Hospital in Sudbury on February 13, 1943 at the age of 46.

Gloster, Bernard James

  • 023
  • Person
  • 1914-1966

Bernard James Gloster (aka Barney Gloster) was born August 4, 1914 in Toronto, Ontario to news photographer Bernard Joseph Gloster (1879-1948) and Martha Jane McCauley (1883-1942). His family moved to Scarborough, Ontario by 1921. Like his father before him, Gloster became a photographer. He married Gladys Helen O'Mara (1917-1995) in Toronto on August 10, 1936. Bernard and Gladys Gloster then moved to Sudbury, Ontario later that same year and Bernard Gloster continued his photography work for the Sudbury Star until October 30, 1939 when he left to pursue a position as photographer for the Windsor Star.

During World War Two, Gloster served as a photographer for the army and after returning to Windsor, Ontario opened his own studio.

Bernard Gloster remained an active photographer until his death on February 18, 1966 at the age of 51.

Keble, John

  • Person
  • 1792-1866

John Keble was an English churchman and poet. Keble attended Corpus Christi College, Oxford and was later a fellow at Oriel College, Oxford. In 1815 he took his holy orders and became a curate. In 1827 his work "The Christian Year" was published and due to this he was appointed Chair of Poetry at Oxford in 1831. The success of this collection of verse was so great that nintey five editions were printed in Keble's lifetime. In 1835 Keble was appointed Vicar of Hursley where he remained for the rest of his life. Keble died in 1866.

Campbell, Isabel

  • Person

Isabel Campbell is a naval and military historian at the Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH). As the former chief archivist of DHH, she has published articles and book chapters on access to information, archival descriptive standards, the North Atlantic alliance, Canada's post-war navy, Canada's post-war army, and defence policy. Completing a doctorate at Laval in 2000, she became a co-author on the official history of the Royal Canadian Navy from 1945 to 1968. Following publication of her monograph Unlikely Diplomats, The Canadian brigade in Germany 1951 to 1964, she began work of the official post war history of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Her interests include the Cold War, the North Atlantic alliance, personnel policy, military family life, the Canadian Arctic, international relations, and Canada's foreign and defence policies.

Turnbridge, Marjorie, 1921-

  • Person
  • 1921-

Marjorie A. Turnbridge was born in Winnipeg in 1921. She attended the University of British Columbia and received a B.A. in 1946. Following that she attended Emmanuel College at Victoria University for one years, then the United Church Training School from 1946-1947. She was a deaconess at Central United Church in Sarnia from 1947-1949, then was appointed by the Women's Missionary Society as a Missionary to Japan. From 1949-1951 she undertook language study in Tokyo, then worked in Kanazawa doing evangelistic work from 1951-1953. From 1953-1954, she was on furlough, then did evangelistic work in Nagano from 1954-1956, and Ueda from 1956-1961. For four years she was also a Field Representative of the United Church of Christ in Japan, and for one year the English Secretary of the Interboard Field Committee and Council of Co-Operation in Tokyo. Turnbridge returned to Vancouver in 1986 and undertook translation work and was an avid volunteer and frequent speaker on behalf of the Division of World Outreach.

Crapo, Henry H.

  • Person
  • [197--?]-

Dr. Henry H. Crapo was a faculty member at the University of Waterloo in the Department of Pure Mathematics. Crapo donated a sizable volume of rare books and materials for the history of dance for Special Collections & Archives at the University of Waterloo. Crapo also helped to organize the Vestris Prize choreography competition with Boston Ballet in 1967

Russell, Olive Ruth

  • Person
  • 1897-1979

Dr. Olive Ruth Russell was born in Delta, Ontario on July 9, 1897. She graduated from the University of Toronto in 1931 and from the University of Edinburgh in 1935 going on to teach at various schools and colleges from 1920 to 1942. During World War II, she served as a personnel selection officer with the Canadian Women's Army Corps, 1942-1945, attaining the rank of Captain. From 1945 to 1947 she was an executive assistant to the director general of the Rehabilitation Branch, Dept. of Veterans' Affairs.

Dr. Russell was a Canadian delegate to the Inter-continental Conference of the National Council of Women, 1946; a fraternal delegate from the World Federation of United Nations Associations to the Conference of the International Federation of University Women, 1947, and a member of the board, National Commission for Beneficient Euthanasia, U.S.A. She was Assistant Professor of Psychology, Winthrop College, S.C., 1947-1949, and Professor and Chairman of the Dept. of Psychology, Western Maryland College, 1949-1962. She authored Freedom to Die: Moral and Legal Aspects of Euthanasia (1975) and campaigned vigorously in favour of euthanasia. She was also the author of numerous articles on euthanasia, education and psychology.

Russell died on May 25, 1979 at her home in Chevy Chase, Maryland at the age of 81.
Dr. Russell was a Canadian delegate to the Inter-continental Conference of the National Council of Women, 1946; a fraternal delegate from the World Federation of United Nations Associations to the Conference of the International Federation of University Women, 1947, and a member of the board, National Commission for Beneficient Euthanasia, U.S.A. She was Assistant Professor of Psychology, Winthrop College, S.C., 1947-1949, and Professor and Chairman of the Dept. of Psychology, Western Maryland College, 1949-1962. She authored Freedom to Die: Moral and Legal Aspects of Euthanasia, 1975 and campaigned vigorously in favour of euthanasia. She was also the author of numerous articles on euthanasia, education and psychology.
(from Library and Archives Canada)

Gordon, Armistead Churchill

  • Person
  • 1855-1931

Armistead Churchill Gordon, lawyer and writer, was born December 20, 1855 in Virginia. Gordon attended the University of Virginia, and later studied law, being called to the bar in 1879. Involved in many aspects of higher education in Virginia he was a member of the Board of Visitors of the College of William & Mary and the University of Virginia, as well as being the first chairman of the Virginia State Library Board. Outside of his work in the law, he published multiple books on the history and peoples of Virginia, as well as collections of poetry.

Opie, Amelia

  • Person
  • 1769-1853

Amelia Alderson was an English Romantic author. Amelia was born November 12, 1769 in Norwich, England and married the painter John Opie in 1798. She was a radical thinker and involved in a circle that included John Horne Tooke and Mary Wollstonecraft. In 1801 Amelia published her first work under her name, "Father and Daughter," and subsequently wrote 25 more novels, biographies and volumes of verse. Amelia died in 1853.

Results 1 to 20 of 19500