Showing 20386 results

People and organizations
Waters Women's Institute
001 · Corporate body · 1936 - Present

The Waters Women's Institute was founded on November 4th, 1936. It was created by the women of Waters Township as a branch of the pre-existing Women’s Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. President of the Sudbury District Women’s Institute Mrs. C. M. Weller, and Mrs. L. S. Eiler, Secretary-Treasurer, gave a presentation on Women Institutes in the old white school house in Waters. The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. The Institute helped local schools both financially and as volunteers, gave classes in homes on homemaking subjects for free, sponsored girl clubs, gave financially to charities, trained women in leadership, and brought the rural mail delivery service to Waters in 1939. They also improved the cemetery with the memorial fund in 1960 and took it upon themselves to document the history of Waters Township with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks.

Former Presidents of the Waters Women’s Institute include:

Mrs. Ida Moxam 1936-?
Mrs. Mevlyn Moxam 19-?
Mrs. Vieno Punkari (husband Herman) 19-?
Mrs. Jessie Hamilton 1949
Mrs. Ellen Lahti (husband Victor) 1949-51
Mrs. Pearl Glynn (husband Hugh) 1951-53, 1960-63
Mrs. Selma Ritari (husband Dave) 1953-57
Mrs. Iona Rauhala (husband Esko) 1957-60
Mrs. Nancy Jacobson (husband Charles) 1963-66
Mrs. Kathryne Stos (husband John) 1966-69
Mrs. Esme Rintala (husband Voitto) 1969-71

002 · Corporate body · 1928 - 1982

Falconbridge Nickel Mines was incorporated August 28, 1928 as a subsidiary of Ventures Limited. Mining in the Town of Falconbridge, however, can trace its roots back to Thomas Edison. In 1901, Edison staked a 40 acre claim (on the south east quarter of the south half of Lot 12, Concession IV, in Falconbridge, Ontario) in the hopes of finding pure nickel to use in his alkaline storage batteries. Over the next two years, Edison sank a shaft but due to a layer of quicksand stopped just 15 feet prior to reaching a nickel-copper ore deposit.

Edison left the area in 1903 and his abandoned claim eventually became Crown land. The mining claim was again sold in 1915 to the Minneapolis and Michigan Development Company who then turned it over to the E.J. Longyear company for development. Shortly after in 1916, the E.J. Longyear company began drill explorations in Falconbridge as well as in Dill, Denison, Levack, Blezard and Garson. Nickel-copper ore was discovered in Falconbridge and on February 27, 1918 Falconbridge Lands Limited was incorporated as a Canadian company to run the Canadian properties owned by the Minneapolis and Michigan Development Company. (Falconbridge Lands was changed to Falconbridge Mines Limited in April 1918 with 2,000 shares capital and a new charter providing more limited powers and scope.)

In 1928, Thayer Lindsley created Ventures Limited as a holding company for various other companies and mining claims. Ventures Limited then purchased Falconbridge Mines in August 1928 from the Bennett-Longyear interests for $2,500,000. This was the highest price ever paid at that time for a mine in the Sudbury area.

The new company began work immediately on both the mine and creating a new company town for the workers. The shaft was sunk and in 1929 construction began on 25 houses for the approximately 200 miners. Since the International Nickel Company (Inco) owned the rights to refinery technology in North America, Falconbridge purchased a refinery in Kristiansand, Norway. The refinery was renamed Nikkelverk and it provided Falconbridge an opportunity to sell nickel to the European market.

The year 1931 marked the first full year of production for Falconbridge Nickel Mines. Despite the depression, the company survived and in 1932 it was able sink a second shaft in Falconbridge and add a precious metals plant in Norway.

During World War Two, Falconbridge lost Nikkelverk with the 1940 German occupation of Norway. Inco then provided the refinery services to Falconbridge due to the war effort. Falconbridge regained Nikkelverk in 1945 after the war in Europe ended and renewed operations.

During the 1950’s, the company prospered with the rising nickel prices. By 1955, Falconbridge owned five operating mines and four mines under development. On January 31, 1962, Falconbridge merged with its parent company Ventures Limited. Through this merger, Falconbridge gained controlling interests in several large mining companies such as Kiena Gold Mines Limited, Giant Yellowknife Mines Limited (gold), Kilembe Mines Limited (copper), United Keno Hill Mines Limited (silver, lead and zinc) and Lake Default Mines Limited (copper and zinc).

During the 1970’s, Superior Oil eventually purchased enough shares to gain control of Falconbridge’s board. The company created Falconbridge International Limited and Falconbridge Europe S.A. to aid with expansion of the company to European clients. By the end of the 1970’s, Falconbridge U.S. Incorporated was created to aid with American marketing of the company. The company, however, suffered an unfavourable economic climate during this decade and in 1977 posted the first loss. This financial upset was quickly offset in 1979 with record earnings.

In 1981, Falconbridge Nickel Mines suffered its second financial loss. In an attempt to offset this loss, the company in 1982 ventured to raise capital funds with equity markets. To accomplish this task and to also demonstrate their global diversification in the mining industry, Falconbridge Nickel Mines became Falconbridge Limited.

Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited Presidents
Thayer Lindsley, 1928-1935
J. G. Hardy, 1936-1944
L.K. Brindley, 1945-1946
Thayer Lindsley, 1947-1956
Robert B. Anderson, 1956
Horace J. Fraser, 1957-1968
Marsh A. Cooper, 1969-1979
D. Broward Craig, 1980 (5 months)
H.T. Perry, 1980-1981
William James, 1982

Craig, Ernest
002 · Person · 1888 - 1960

Ernest Craig was born March 19, 1888 to Irish immigrant and laborer John Craig (1841-1921) and his wife Mary Neil (1861-1955) in Kearney, Ontario. By 1891, the Craig family was living on a farm in the Township of Perry, Ontario. The fourth of twelve children, Ernest Craig left school early and started working at the mining camps in eastern Canada. By the late 1910’s, Craig had reached the level of Mine Manager in Elk Lake, Ontario.

On September 10, 1918, Ernest Craig married Mary Rath (1883-1962) in Flinton, Ontario. The couple moved to Northern Ontario and had two children, Barbara Craig (1921-2013, aka Barbara Mather) and Donald Craig. During the 1920’s, Craig worked at King Kirkland Lake Mine (Forman in 1921, Manager in 1922) in the Township of Label, Ontario. He was also the Superintendent of Lebel-Oro property in 1923 and later he was in charge of the South Bay Power Plant in Gowganda, Ontario.

In 1928, Thayer Lindsley appointed Ernest Craig as the first General Manager of Falconbridge Nickel Mines. Craig helped develop both the new mining company and the new town. Within the first year and a half, the shaft was sunk to 1,000 feet with over 4,000 feet of underground tunnels. Sporting events flourished in Falconbridge with Craig’s support and Camp Falcona was created for the children of the employees.

In 1941, Ernest Craig with his brother Robert Craig (1895-1959) established the Craig Bit Company in North Bay, Ontario to mass-produce the “Craig Bit,” a detachable drill the brothers invented which tripled productivity in mines. Their company became North Bay’s second largest employer. During the Second World War, the Craig Bit Company also manufactured large shell components for the military.

In 1945, Ernest Craig retired from Falconbridge Mines Ltd. He moved to the Peterborough, Ontario area and became a consultant for Ventures Limited (the parent company of Falconbridge Mines). While in this capacity, he recommended the creation of a new mine in Nephton, Ontario. Craig became Vice-President and General Manager of American Nepheline and aided with their setup as a new mine. He also became President of manufacturers J.J. Turner & Sons Company Limited in Peterborough, Ontario.

In 1957, Craig retired from American Nepheline and moved with his wife to Toronto, Ontario. Ernest Craig passed away September 28, 1960 at the age of 72.

Cameron, Archie
002 · Person · 1919 - 1990

Archibald Ernest Cameron (aka Archie Cameron) was born in 1919 to Thomas Cameron and Isabelle Cameron of Massey, Ontario. He began working for Falconbridge Nickel Mines during the mid 1930's. From 1939 to 1942, Cameron photographed and created several silent films for the Department of Health Education. He also was a smelter worker for 18 years, retiring in 1952. During the Second World War, Cameron served as a Private for No. 14 Company Canadian Forestry Corps. He lived the remainder of his life in Garson, Ontario and passed away March 7, 1990 in Sudbury, Ontario.

Falconbridge Limited
002 · Corporate body · 1982 - 2006

In 1982, Falconbridge Nickel Mines (1928-1982) became Falconbridge Limited. Under Superior Oil ownership, the company focused on global expansion in the mining industry. During the early 1980’s, the company suffered a deficit (a loss of $81,000,000 in 1982) until the fourth quarter of 1983. In 1985, Superior Oil was purchased by Mobil who then sold their Falconbridge Limited shares to Dome Mines. Falconbridge also acquired Kidd Creek Mines (gold, silver, copper and zinc). In 1988, Falconbridge Limited was sold to Amax Incorporated for $2,420,000,000. In 1989, Noranda Incorporated and Trelleborg AB jointly acquired Falconbridge Limited and the company became private.

In 1994, the company began selling stocks again to raise capital after another loss in 1993. As a result, it regained its public company status. In 1996, Falconbridge Limited commenced a growth plan which over a 15 year duration doubled nickel production. Falconbridge developed a nickel and copper mine in Raglan, Quebec and a copper mine in Collahuasi, Chile.

In 2006, Xstrata acquired Falconbridge Limited for $22,000,000,000 and the new company became Xstrata Nickel.

Falconbridge Limited Presidents
William James, 1982-1989
Alex Balogh, 1989
Franklin Pickard, 1990-1996
Alex Balough, 1996
Oyvind Hushovd, 1996-2002
Derek Pannell, 2002-2006

Lindsley, Thayer
002 · Person · 1882 - 1976

Thayer Lindsley was born on August 17, 1882 in Yokohama, Japan to John Lindsley (1845-1909), a representative for the Canadian Pacific Railway in Japan, and Virginia Thayer Payne (1856-1841). The Lindsley family eventually returned to the United States of America (U.S.A.) and moved to Milton, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts. Thayer Lindsley attended Milton Academy, a private college preparatory school in Milton. In 1903, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts and in 1904 he graduated from Harvard with a degree in Civil Engineering (C.E.).

After graduating from Harvard, Lindsley worked as a civil engineer for the New York Rapid Transit Commission, where he was involved in the construction of the Brooklyn-Manhattan subway; however, his older brother, Halstead Lindsley, was a mining engineer and Lindsley became fascinated with the subject. He took a few geology courses at Columbia University, but most of his knowledge was learned working in mining and as a prospector in the western United States between 1906 and 1914. In 1914, Lindsley discovered the Iron Dyke Mine in Oregon and ran it for Goodzich, Lockhard and Company for three years, until he joined the American Expeditionary Force as an artillery officer when the U.S.A. joined World War I (WWI).

After WWI, Lindsley returned to the Iron Dyke Mine and remained there until 1924. He had received a stake of $30,000 in the Iron Dyke Mine, which he decided to invest in mining in Canada. With a partner, Joseph Errington, Lindsley began exploring areas of Northern Ontario for viable mining prospects. In 1926, the pair staked claims around the Vermilion River, near Sudbury, Ontario, and founded Sudbury Basin Mines.

In 1928, Lindsley founded Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited in Falconbridge, Ontario after purchasing the land claims from Bennett-Longyear for $2,500,000, the most ever paid at that time for a mine in the Sudbury area. Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited was a subsidiary of Ventures Limited, Lindsley’s holding company that he established in 1928 with his brother, Halstead Lindsley, and associates, Joseph Errington, Col. C.D.H. MacAlpine and Gen. D.M. Hogarth. Falconbridge was Venture’s biggest holding and it became one of the world’s biggest nickel mining operations.

In 1929, Thayer Lindsley married Ida Ann Machin, the daughter of a mining executive, in Kenora, Ontario. The marriage lasted until 1935, when Ida Ann Machin went to Reno, Nevada to file for a divorce. The divorce was made legal in Canada by a court in Port Arthur, Ontario in 1936.

Lindsley is known as one of the 20th Century’s most prolific mining developers and executives and was given the nickname “Mr. Mining.” Near the height of his career, in the 1940s-1950s, he was president of ten companies (including the large holding company, Frobisher Inc.), served as a director for fifteen others and held interests in upwards of fifty more companies. Lindsley found or was involved in the development of the following mines: Sherritt Gordon Mine, Manitoba; Giant Yellowknife, Northwest Territories; Beattie Gold Mine, Quebec; Whim Creek, Australia; Connemara, Southern Rhodesia; United Keno, Yukon; Canadian Malartic, Quebec; La Luz, Nicaragua; New Calumet, Ontario and Coniaurum near Porcupine, Ontario.

Lindsley retired as president of Ventures Limited in 1955 and as president of Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited in 1956. He remained a director on the board of Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited until 1967, when he was given the title of Director Emeritus.

Thayer Lindsley died on May 29, 1976 at his home in New York, New York. He is buried with his parents, John Lindsley and Virginia Thayer Lindsley, in Milton Cemetery in Milton.

Kelly, Michael
003 · Person · 1953 -

Michael Kelly was born in Sudbury Ontario in 1953 and attended Laurentian University from 1973 to 1978. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in History and then matriculated to the University of Toronto (1979-1985) for his Master of Arts in History. During this time, he was asked to write a chapter in an upcoming local Sudbury history book to help celebrate the one hundred anniversary of the founding of Sudbury. The book was divided up into decades and Michael Kelly was assigned 1900-1910. This chapter was later completed by Ashley Thompson and the book was published ten years after its intended publication date in 1993 entitled Sudbury Rail Town to Regional Capital.

Other books Kelly worked on while a student at Laurentian include Inventory and Guide to Historic Building in Sudbury, 1978.

From 1979 to 1985, Kelly traded commercial paper and foreign exchange securities as part of a corporate cash management team with INCO Limited. From 1985 to 1986 he was a regional economic development officer in Northern Ontario and from 1986-1989 he operated as a training consultant for various companies. From 1990 to the present, Kelly has worked as a professor at Cambrian College specializing in Human Relations, Ethics and Project Management.

Grace, George
004 · Person · 1917 - 2007

George Grace was born January 15, 1917. He moved to Sudbury, Ontario from Toronto on December 15, 1939 and began work as a sports reporter for The Sudbury Star in 1942. After serving in World War II, Grace returned to reporting for The Sudbury Star. During the 1950's, Grace developed polio which left his right hand atrophied and forced him into a wheelchair for several years. With the help of his wife Isobel, his condition improved and he continued writing sports articles. Grace was eventually promoted to Executive Editor before retiring in 1980. Ten years later, Grace began a regular sports column entitled 'Looking Back' which ran for about a decade. His final article appeared in the paper December 31, 2000. George Grace passed away December 23, 2007 at the age of 90.

Keir, Robert John
006 · Person · 1931 - 2015

Robert John Keir was born in Port Colborne, Ontario, on April 15th, 1931. While Keir's British grandfather was a professional journalist, Keir himself never received formal training in journalism; instead, he developed and honed his journalistic skills through years of on-the-job experience. Keir began his journalism career at an early age as a paperboy for the Globe & Mail. As an adult, Keir began writing for The Evening Tribute of Welland, Ontario, from 1950-1952. It was also during this time that Keir was given the opportunity to work as a “stringer”, writing additional local stories for large media outlets The Toronto Star and the Buffalo Courier-Express. In 1954, Keir became an out-island feature writer for The Nassau Guardian of Nassau, Bahamas, under a six-month contract. When his contract expired that same year, Keir relocated to Sudbury, Ontario. Once in Sudbury, Keir continued to pursue his journalistic interests, covering local affairs for The Sudbury Star from 1954 until 1956. From 1956 to 1957, Keir reported City Hall proceedings for CKSO Radio and Television and from 1957 to 1959, reported these proceedings for The Sudbury Star.

In 1955, Keir was appointed Northern Ontario Correspondent for The Globe and Mail and retained this freelance position for more than ten years. In 1959, Keir founded the Northern Information Service Company Limited in Sudbury, Ontario. As General Manager, Keir played a participatory role in handling freelance news coverage, public relations, advertising, and photography until he ended the company in 1970. In addition, Keir was one of the founders of The Sudbury Sun in 1962, serving as publisher and editor.

By the early 1960’s, Bob Keir had become an active supporter of local interests. This resulted in a shift in career interests, which saw Keir serve as Public Relations consultant for the City of Sudbury from 1960-1961. Keir served one term as Alderman (1964-1965), and despite not continuing as an elected member of city council, Keir stayed on as a volunteer, serving on various community committees (such as the Sudbury Planning Board and the Parking Authority of Sudbury). Keir moved to Toronto in 1970 to work as Senior Communications Manager for the Ministries of Environment, Natural Resources, and Energy at Queen’s Park, but returned to Sudbury in 1982 to serve as Executive and Communications Officer for Regional Chairman Tom Davies until Keir’s retirement in 1995.

After retiring, Keir continued to publicly voice his concerns over local issues. As one of seven members of the Greater Sudbury Municipal Watch since discussion of Sudbury’s amalgamation began in the late 1990’s, Keir monitors key issues at City Hall. Other local initiatives Keir has been involved in include the Sudbury Community Foundation (as a founding director) and the Sudbury Regional Restructuring Association (as a founder and secretary). In 1992, Keir was awarded the Canada 125 Commemorative Medal for his volunteer efforts and the Ontario 15 Years Voluntarism Award. Additionally, Keir provides regular published insights in letters to the editor for The Sudbury Star.

Steinberg, Israel "Irving"
007 · Person · 1919 - 2011

Israel "Irving" Steinberg was born January 16 1919 in Peterborough Ontario. Shortly after his birth he moved with his parents, Joseph and Leah Steinberg and his sister Rose Steinberg, to Sudbury Ontario where his father founded Toronto Bargain Stores. The Steinbergs lived in Sudbury until 1932 when they moved to Toronto. Joseph Steinberg died on July 14 1963, and Irving Steinberg as executor of his estate retained property in Sudbury until 1968 when it was expropriated by the city as part of a downtown urban development project. Irving Steinberg passed away on March 1, 2011.

Landry, Denis
008 · Person · 1919 - 2008

Denis Landry was born in Azilda, Ontario, on May 16, 1919. He began his academic pursuits at the age of seven and matriculated from Azilda Public School #2 at fourteen with an eighth grade education. Landry was unable to continue formal academic pursuits due to economic reasons and began to work on the family farm where he pasteurized milk and took care of the animals. Landry married his wife Thérèse Paquette on January 6th, 1945 and they had seven children. In order to support his family Landry worked as a miner for Inco at the Levack Nickel Mine Deposit where he held many positions. Despite his work, Landry still found the time for his family, and his community.
Landry was a devote catholic and enjoyed religious music. Denis was a member of the “paroisse de Chelmsford” choir and when the “paroisse Sainte-Agnès” was formed in 1953, he became leader of orchestra and remained so for 20 years.
Landry was an important figure for the education sector in the Azilda - Chelmsford area. He played a significant role during the creation of the Roman Catholic Separate School Section No.1 in 1955. Landry was appointed trustee for the RCS.S No.1 from 1955 to 1956. Thanks to Landry and other trustees, the Roman Catholic schools in the No.1 and No.2 district merged in 1961 and two new Separate schools were created “l’école St-Patrick” and “l’école St-Dominique-Savio”. In 1965 Landry was appointed to serve as trustee for the Chelmsford Valley District High School Board to represent all the Separate Schools in the areas of Rayside Balfour, Chelmsford, Dowling, and Levack. He spent six years as a trustee with the Chelmsford Valley District High School Board, to ensure that Catholic children from the area have an opportunity to pursue their studies at the secondary level. In 1968, the Ministry of Education warned the school boards of its intention to establish larger administrative units. Landry was appointed by the Chelmsford High School Board to serve in the “ADD-Hoc” committee in order to prepare the documents needed to restructure the School Boards in Ontario. Denis was then elected to represent the Western Separate Schools in 1969. He was honored to serve as a representative for the Western Separate Schools for the following 12 years. Denis Landry’s 32 years of service as a trustee for Separate Schools, gave generations of French Catholic children in the Azilda, Rayside area the opportunity to learn and grow in a proper education system.
Landry retired from Inco after 43 years of service. After his retirement he went on to work as a Real Estate agent. He was a strong supporter of the French culture in the community. His passion for education, the town of Azilda and the French culture inspired him to write a book entitled “Azilda comme je l’ai connue”.
Landry was also a member of the “Coopérative funéraire” and the “Club d’âge d’or d’ Azilda” (one of the founding members). For the remainder of his retirement Landry continued to devote himself to his pastimes, his community and his family. Denis Landry passed away on May 6th 2008 at the age of 88.

Walden Garden Club
009 · Corporate body · 1976 - 198-

The Walden Garden Club was first founded by Jean Narozanski in 1976. Narozanski was the municipal horticulturalist in Walden and also worked at the public library. She noticed a desire of residents to learn more about horticulture and founded the club to provide an outlet for various homeowners to discuss gardening. That same year, Narozanski also established Northern Perennials, a local gardening store. By 1980, Narozanski moved to Manitolan Island and the club discontinued around the mid 1980's.

Former Chairmen of the Walden Garden Club include;

Jean Narozanski 1976-1977
Evelyn Nelson 1977-1978
Myra Gauthier 1978-1979

Delaney, Paul
01-015 · Person · 1944-2012

Paul James Delaney was born in 1944 and lived at Gore's Landing, Lakefield and Midland. He was a student at Trent University from 1964 to 1968 and is listed in the first student register. A member of Trent University’s first graduating class, Delaney became a teacher and went on to win numerous awards, including the Alumni Spirit of Trent Award, TVOntario Teacher of the Year, Pope’s Medal, YMCA Peace Medal, and the Governor General’s Award for Excellence in Teaching History. He was the first Director of Ste. Marie Among the Hurons and taught summer courses in India and Sierra Leone. “Uncle Paul”, as he became known to Trent University's international students, served as Alumnus-in-Residence at Trent, volunteered his time with the Trent International Program, and became a mentor to hundreds of Trent students. Delaney died in 2012. (Taken in part from a March 1, 2013 posting titled "Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Paul Delaney" located on the Trent University web site).

Naughton Women's Institute
010 · Corporate body · 1949-1951, 1961-1975

The Naughton Women's Institute was founded on October 24th, 1949. It was created by the women of the Village of Naughton as a branch of the pre-existing Women’s Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. President of the Waters Women’s Institute Branch Mrs. Jessie Hamilton, accompanied by Secretary Mrs. H. Glenn and the District Secretary Mrs. E Rauhala, organized the meeting. The Institute raised funds for the Children Hospital in Toronto and for sleigh rides and picnics for the local children. This was accomplished by organized dances, card-party's and bingos. In 1950 there were 29 members but by December 1951, membership had dwindled and the group disbanded. It was revived on September 20th, 1961, mostly due to the efforts of Mrs. Howard Bennison who hosted the meeting at her home. Meetings were held in various members homes and the United Church basement. The group took it upon themselves to document the history of the Village of Naughton with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks from 1964-1973.

The Naughton Women's Institute officially disbanded in 1975.

Former Presidents of the Naughton Women’s Institute include:

Mrs. F. Hanna 1949-1950
Mrs. J. Blue 1950-1951
1951- disbanded
Mrs. H. Bennison 1961-1963
Mrs. L. Carlyle 1964 & 1966
Mrs. O. St. Louis 1966-1968
Mrs. F. Hanna 1968-1969
Mrs. H. Leblance 1970-1971
Mrs. E. Schmitt 1971-1972

011 · Corporate body · 1948-1958

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first recorded date for the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association in Coniston, Ontario was 1948. The first entry in their Minute Book begins with the last meeting of the year in 1948 so there most likely was another Minute Book created before this, possibly for years prior to this date, and lost. Prior to their formation, there was already a Coniston Boy Scout Association. The first troop was affiliated with the Anglican Church and this, the second troop, was formed to be affiliated with the Catholic Church (the french speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the english speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston during the entire life of the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association Board held their meetings in the basement of the Separate School in Coniston every month. Troop meetings tended to take place on Tuesday nights at 7pm but they would have events on other days. Activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father son banquets. They were funded with Apple Day sales, Christmas Card sales, and various other fundraising activities.

During the summer of 1953, the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association won the 'All Over' trophy at summer camp, signifying that they were the best cub pack from the Sudbury District attending the camp. In 1955, three Scouters resigned; one to attend school out of town and the other two, who were the Cub Masters Mr. & Mrs. Gobbo [Art Gobbo & Evelyn Gobbo]. In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen)
Edward J. Orendorff 1948 - 1952, May 1953 -after 1957 (also principal of Coniston Continuation School)
O. Paradis 1952 - 1953
G. Maher January - May 1953

Chaplains for Troop
Father Fortin 1948 - 1951
Father Lafontaine 1953
Father Proulx 1956 - 195?

Dudowich, Michael
012 · Person · 1927 - 1998

Michael Dudowich was born January 31st, 1927 in Garson, Ontario. As a young student, Dudowich began working on the weekends for Mr. W.E. Mason at the Sudbury Star in 1943. In high school, Dudowich was the Director of Photography for the Sudbury High yearbook the Wolfhound as well as Assistant Editor for the Catholic Youth Organization Bulletins affiliated with St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church. In the 1946 Sudbury High yearbook, grade twelve student Dudowich stated his future goal for later in life was to photograph actress Lana Turner.

In 1947, the Dudowich family moved from Garson to Riverside Drive, Sudbury, Ontario. After graduating with honours from Sudbury High School, Dudowich worked for a short time as a locomotive fireman and then proceeded to work full time for the newspaper. Eventually, he became the photographic supervisor for the Sudbury Star and held the position of 'Chief Photographer' for decades prior to his retirement in May, 1976.

Dudowich was an active member of the Commercial and Press Photographers' Association of Canada (CPPAC) for many years. He frequently attended the short course in photography held annually at the University of Western Ontario by the group and won multiple awards for his photographs including the CPPAC Award of Merit and several of the Canadian Press Picture-of-the-Month awards. He was chosen Best Photographer of Canada, and his work appeared in the publication "America." In 1972, Dudowich received awards from the Canadian Government and the Canadian Press for his work in the Russian/Canadian Hockey Series of that year.

Dudowich was a charter member of the Idylwylde Golf and Country Club, a member of the Ukrainian Congress of Canada, the Laurentian Museum and Arts Centre and St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church.

Michael Dudowich passed away on May 4th, 1998 at the age of 71.

Heit (family)
015 · Family · 1939 - present (in Sudbury, ON)

The Heit family first moved to the Garson, Ontario area shortly after Jacob "Jack" Heit (1914-1999) married Katherine "Kay" Kraft (1918-2009) on February 5, 1940 at Christ the King Church in Sudbury, Ontario. Prior to this time, both Jacob Heit and Katherine Kraft lived in Saskatchewan. The Heit's raised their family of five daughters, Diana, Janet, Marilyn, Kathy, and Susan in Garson, Ontario.

Heit, Jack
015-.1 · Person · 1914-1999

Jacob 'Jack' Sebastian Heit was born on February 5, 1914 in Tramping Lake, Saskatchewan. He moved to Sudbury, Ontario, traveling by train at a cost of $6, and arrived on March 25, 1938. Heit took many odd jobs such as seasonal mail deliverer during the Christmas season in 1939 or work for Pioneer Construction in 1940. Other odd jobs included 'pick and shovel' work, farm work, house construction, cement drilling, and steel jobs. He worked for firms such as Red Brown Cement Products, Gustiana Company, and A.L. McGinn using his skills as a mechanic and blacksmith.

He began his career at Falconbridge Nickel Mines Ltd in 1941 underground as a miner. He later became an Inspector for Mine Safety and First Aid. Heit was certified in basic Mine Rescue Training at the Sudbury Rescue Station in June 1948. By 1951, he received the Advanced Mine Rescue Training and in 1961 the Supervisory Advanced Mine Rescue Training. In May 1950, Heit was a member of the winning team of the inaugural First Aid Championship of Falconbridge Nickel Mines at a competition held in the Community Hall. Heit continued to compete in both local and Northern Ontario mine rescue competitions and won several times. Awards included the H.J. Fraser Trophy for defeating the top plant first aid team at Falconbridge.

Heit was also an avid volunteer with the Garson Volunteer Fire Department for 20 years (circa 1950 to February 1971). When Heit resigned from the fire department, he held the position of 'deputy fire chief.' He was also an amateur photographer and won 1st prize for the best photograph of the King and Queen's visit to Sudbury in 1939.

Jack Heit married Katherine 'Kay' Kraft (born March 4, 1918 in Allan, Saskatchewan) on February 5, 1940 at Christ the King Church in Sudbury, Ontario. They had five daughters, Diana (1941), Janet (1943), Marilyn (1947), Kathy (1948), and Susan (1954).

Heit retired from Falconbridge Ltd in 1976. He remained active in the community with bridge games, curling, and water skiing. For their 50th wedding anniversary, Jack and Kay Heit renewed their vows at the same church they were originally married.

Jack Heit passed away on November 5, 1999 at the age of 85 at Extendicare York in Sudbury, Ontario.

Mulcahey, Diana (nee Heit)
015-.2 · Person · 1941 - present

Diana Joyce Heit was born January 3, 1941 in Sudbury, Ontario. The eldest of Jacob and Katherine Heit's five children, Diana was raised in Garson, Ontario. She attended St. John's Separate School in Garson and often went to Falcona Camp, run by Falconbridge Mine in the summer. Diana Heit married Lawrence Thomas Mulcahey on September 5, 1964 at St. John's Church in Garson. She later became the Assistant Programme Director for the Recreation Department of the City of Sudbury. With this position, Mulcahey assisted with the creation of the game ringette. She designed the crests for the local team tournaments and organized the first games.

016 · Family · 1924 - present (in Canada)

The Kantokoski (Koski), Koivula, and Korpela families originated from Finland, but many members immigrated to Sudbury and other parts of Canada and the United States. These families inter-married over the years and have many shared descendants who settled in Sudbury.