Showing 17766 results

People and organizations

Woodbridge Agricultural and Machine Works (Woodbridge, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1849-1885

The Woodbridge Agricultural and Machine Works, evidence would suggest, was established in 1849 and would for the succeeding 36 years play a significant role in the development and prosperity of the Village of Woodbridge. Employing 200 men by 1874, John Abell's factory specialized in the production of various types of steam-powered agricultural equipment, although man and horse-powered equipment was also produced; the plant was relocated to Toronto in 1885 as a direct consequence of the refusal of the Toronto, Grey, and Bruce Railway to construct a switch from the main line to Abell's factory.

Levy, Lorne

  • Person
  • [1971?]

Local student who undertook the documentation of various aspects of Vaughan's past in audio-visual format with Dave Storey; the subject individuals were funded by an OFY (Ontario Federation of Youth) grant.

Storey, Dave

  • Person
  • [1971?]

Local student who undertook the documentation of various aspects of Vaughan's past in audio-visual format with Lorne Levy; the subject individuals were funded by an OFY (Ontario Federation of Youth) grant.

Johnson, Leo

  • Person
  • ca. 1965

Author was a graduate student at an undetermined university, presumably York University.

Agnew, Jean (Jean Dalziel)

  • Person
  • ca. 1993

Jean Agnew was a former Vaughan, Ontario resident, an active member of the Edgeley Women's Institute and a descendant of one of area's founding families, the Dalziels, which traces its lineage to 11th-century chiefs of the Scottish Kingdom of Mal. Ms Agnew was very active in the preservation of building the documentary cultural heritage of the City of Vaughan.

Carrville School (Carrville, Ont.)

  • Corporate body
  • 180-ca.1962

The school of rough-hewn logswas built in 1846 by Nathaniel Burr. New frame schoolhouse constructed in 1860, incorporating part of older log building; structure further enlarged in 1885, and remained in use as such until school's closure in 1960. The Carrville School officially opened in 1860 and continued to serve hamlet of Carrville until ca. 1962 when it was closed and its students bused elsewhere in Vaughan Township.

Results 1 to 20 of 17766