Showing 647 results

Люди та організації
Corporate body · est. 1951

The Women's Association of the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine (W.A.C.L.L.U.) was organized in 1951 to support the aims of the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine by promoting the League's objectives in women's organizations, and became an independent body in 1967.

The W.A.C.L.L.U. also aimed to contribute to the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine's objectives by educating their children to value their Ukranian heritage. It published books and pamphlets in English in order to communicate its goals.

T. H. Oliver Limited
Corporate body · 1923-1973

T. H. Oliver Limited was an Ontario based family-run household electrical sales and service business operating from the 1920s to the 1970s.

T.H. Oliver was an Aurora, Ontario businessman who in 1923 founded and operated a family sales and service business focussing on household based technology. Among the products sold included including auto-electric technology, household radio and electric appliances, electric motors, automatic heating, electric refrigeration and air conditioning technology.

The business was initially established as a sole proprietorship, known as T.H. Oliver Radio and Electric. It was later incorporated (December 15, 1954) as T.H. Oliver Limited, with his wife Leta and three sons serving as directors.

Oliver oversaw the development and expansion of the business over a time period of both signficant technological change and rapid growth in the proliferation of technology in the Ontario household. Along with in-shop sales and service, the company performed contract work (especially in refrigeration) for a variety of clients.

T.H. Oliver Limited was sold in 1973, and Mr. Oliver died in 1976.

Corporate body · 1953-

The University of Toronto Faculty of Pharmacy grants degrees at the bachelor, master's and doctoral levels. The program at the faculty was developed to provide pharmacy students with the knowledge, skills, and values needed to provide pharmaceutical care.

The Faculty of Pharmacy was established in 1953 when the teaching function of the Ontario College of Pharmacy was transferred to the University of Toronto; formerly classes were taught at the College of Pharmacy while the University of Toronto granted the degrees only. Classes continued to be taught at the OCP building on Gerrard Street East until 1963 when the Faculty moved to its current location, 19 Russell Street, on the University of Toronto campus.

Person · 1778-1855

Samuel Smith Ridout (1778-1855) was a public servant, merchant and militia officer in Upper Canada in the early nineteenth century.

Samuel Smith Ridout was born in Annapolis, Maryland and following the death of his mother, was raised by his uncle John Donovan, postmaster of Hancock, while his father was active in the carrying trade with France and the West Indies. In 1800, after Thomas Ridout had settled in York, Upper Canada, Samuel Smith Ridout left Maryland to join his father's new family.

In 1801, Ridout entered the Surveyor General's Office as a clerk, and in 1806 became a deputy provincial surveyor, remaining in this post until 1829. He also served as sheriff of the Home District from 1815 to 1827, and as agent for the collection of fees for land grants from 1816 to 1834. He was appointed registrar of York County in 1827 and remained in this position until his death in 1855.

Ridout entered the militia as a lieutenant in 1807, received a commission in the 1st York militia in 1809 and was promoted a captain in the 3rd York militia in the spring of 1812.

In 1805, he married Eliza Parsons and they had four sons and five daughters. Following the death of Eliza in 1838, he married Mary Hardwick Unwin, the widow of Francis Humphreys.

Sutherland, James, d. 1857
Person · d.1857

Captain James Sutherland (d. 1857) was a ship's Captain on the Great Lakes, and a soldier in the Rebellion of 1837 as captain of the steamboat Traveller.

Captain James Sutherland was born in Hoy, Orkney Islands, Scotland, and at an early age entered into the service of the Hudson's Bay Company. After sailing in the Baltic and the South Atlantic, he moved to Canada where he captained several vessels on the Great Lakes. During the Rebellion of 1837, he operated the steamboat Traveller, and continued to operate it and other vessels on the Great Lakes until his death in the Desjardins Canal accident in 1857.

His son, Donald George Sutherland (1839-1895), was a lawyer and Methodist clergyman who married James Aikins' daughter, Helena Aikins.

Gourlay, Robert, 1778-1863
Person · 1778-1863

Robert Fleming Gourlay (1778-1863) was a scientific farmer, an agrarian and political reformer, and an author.

He was born in Craigrothie, Fifeshire, Scotland, was educated at St. Andrew's (receiving his M.A. in 1797) and at the University of Edinburgh (where he studied agriculture and carried out a study of farm labourers).

From 1800 to 1809, he managed one of his father's farms, and from 1809 to 1817 he was a tenant at Deptford Farm in Wiltshire. At this time he worked for agrarian and other reforms in England, including the education of the poor. His efforts to form a national organization of tenant farmers against landlords caused his expulsion from the Bath and Wiltshire agricultural societies.

He went to Upper Canada in the spring of 1817, hoping to return to England that fall. He soon decided to stay, since the land held by his wife was unsaleable due to a law against American immigration. His eventual plan was to travel to England annually to set up a system of British emigration to Upper Canada, and to compile a statistical account of Upper Canada for agricultural study. To these ends, he prepared an address to the landholders of Upper Canada, and appended 31 questions based on agricultural data collection procedures in Scotland. This address was published in the Upper Canada Gazette, and Gourlay encouraged people to hold township meetings in order to answer the appended questions.

Gourlay's activities became more political by 1818, and he drafted a petition and was travelling around Eastern Upper Canada, distribution it at conventions. For these activities he was charged with seditious libel in both Kingston and Cornwall. In both cases he defended himself, and in both cases he was acquitted, but further conventions were banned as being unconstitutional. In late 1818, Gourlay was again labelled seditious and was order to leave the province. When he refused, he was committed to the Niagara jail in January 1819, where he was held until August, when he was deported to the United States.

In 1822, he published the Statistical Account of Upper Canada, and in 1824, after he had returned to England, he was confined to the Cold Bath Fields as a dangerous person of unsound mind, and was released in 1828. In 1831 he attempted to gain the chair of Agriculture at Edinburgh in 1831, and a seat in Parliament in 1832, and was unsuccessful in both attempts. In 1833, he travelled to Ohio and Boston. He was against the Rebellion of 1837, and provided Sir Francis Bond Head with information about Patriot activities in the United States. From 1846 to 1856, he lived in Scotland, where he unsuccessfully ran for Parliament. In 1856, he returned to Upper Canada to settle on the land he had inherited from his late wife at Dereham. In 1858, at the age of eighty, he unsuccessfully contested the riding of Oxford, and married his twenty-eight year old housekeeper Mary Reenan. He returned to Edinburgh, where he lived until his death in 1863.

Person · 1846-1915

Simon Thomas Humberstone (1846-1915) was the most well known potter in the Humberstone family of potters, and was very active in Conservative politics in Ontario.

The Humberstone family originally moved from Staffordshire, England to Philadelphia, then moved to Canada at the time of the American Revolution. Samuel Humberstone (ca. 1744-1823) established one of the first potteries in Upper Canada on the land he was granted in Augusta Township in Grenville County.

Samuel Humberstone's son Thomas (1776-1849) established his own pottery in York County in 1798. His son, Thomas Humberstone Junior (1811-1895) carried on pottery at York Mills, Thornhill, Willowdale, and at Newton Brook (west side of Yonge Street, south of Steeles Avenue).

Simon Thomas Humberstone (1846-1915) came to be the most well known of all the Humberstone potters. He engaged in potting and Conservative politics for nearly fifty years. He was a candidate for the Conservative Party, and served as Deputy Reeve and later as Reeve of York Township. Under his direction, a large pottery was erected at the Yonge and Steeles site. Works from this site were known as "Newton Brook Pottery. S.T. Humberstone. Stoneware, Earthenware, and Rockingham." While Humberstone made the usual brownwares and red flower pots, he also carried out extensive experimentation with a variety of coloured glazes and shapes.

MacLaren Advertising Company
Corporate body · 1922-

The MacLaren Advertising Company was an outgrowth of an earlier advertising company, Campbell-Ewald Advertising. John A. MacLaren was first associated with it in 1922, named it MacLaren Advertising in 1935, and developed it into an international advertising business that is still in operation.

MacLaren Advertising clients included General Motors, General Electric, Imperial Oil Canada, Canada Packers, and the Government of Canada. It established the first radio department in any Canadian advertising agency and through a deal negotiated with Conn Smythe, John MacLaren secured the advertising rights to the radio and television broadcasts of Hockey Night in Canada, by Foster Hewitt. By 1948, MacLaren was first to advertise its corporate clients on television featuring celebrities and well-known jingles.

John MacLaren, a journalist and newspaper reporter, joined Campbell-Ewald Advertising in 1922 as General Manager of the Toronto office. He became Vice-President and General Manager in 1926 and President and Managing Director in 1930, changing the name to MacLaren Advertising in 1935 with the head office in Toronto and offices throughout Canada and England. Although John MacLaren died in Florida in 1955, the Canadian firm continued to develop and in 1967 it became MacLaren International. By 1979, MacLaren Advertising International was a member of Intermart Inc., a holding company. Through mergers and acquisitions, MacLaren joined Lintas Canada in 1988 and McCann Canada in 1995 to become MacLaren McCann Canada, Inc., a Canadian-based international advertising firm that is owned and controlled by an American company.

MacLaren Advertising has won numerous awards.

Person · 1872-1962

William C. McCalla (1872-1962) was a merchant born in St. Catharines, Ontario, who resided there until 1914 when he moved to Edmonton, Alberta. He died in Calgary.

Maciborka, Nell
Person · fl. 1980

Nell Maciborka lived in Orillia, Ontario in the twentieth century.

Teshima, Ted, 1938-
Person · 1938-

Ted Teshima (b. Sea Island, B.C. 4 Sept. 1938) is the Toronto architect who in 1970 formed the architectural partnership of Moriyama & Teshima Architects with Raymond Moriyama.

Ted Teshima received his Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Toronto (1962). He began working for Raymond Moriyama that year, then went on to professional experience with the firms of Page and Steele (1963), Richard Sheppard Robson and Partners (London, England, 1964 to 1965), and Klein and Sears Architects (Toronto, 1965 to 1966). He then joined Raymond Moriyama, Architects and Planners and became a full partner in the firm in 1970.

Mr. Teshima was architect and principal for a number of projects including: Scarborough Civic Centre, 1973; Arbor Glen Public School, 1973; L. B. Pearson Collegiate (Scarborough), 1974; Manufacturers Hanover Center (Chicago), 1982; Mississauga YMCA, 1985; World Bank H.Q. Competition, 1989; Owen Public School (Toronto),1991; and Guelph River Run Civic Centre, 1991. As partner-in-charge, he was involved in managing almost all the firm's projects, working on a wide variety of large-scale mixed-use developments with clients and community groups. Teshima is also Vice-President of the sister practice, Moriyama & Teshima Planners Limited, 1980 to present.

Teshima is a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada and the Royal Society of Arts (U.K.), and a member of the Architectural Institute of British Columbia. He has also been a guest lecturer at several Canadian architectural schools. Ted Teshima received the Toronto Arts Award 1991 and the Mississauga Urban Design Award 1993. He was a Director on the Board of the Ontario Heritage Foundation from 1983 to 1990 and has served on the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design Advisory Board and Council since 1987 and 1993 respectively.

Corporate body · 1958-1970

Raymond Moriyama, Architects and Planners, was a Toronto architectural and urban planning practice set up in May 1958 by Raymond Moriyama.

The firm initially carried on business at 71 Yorkville, moving two years later to larger quarters. After a brief stay at 106 Yorkville Avenue, the firm moved in 1961 to 711 Church Street. In 1965, Raymond Moriyama renovated a former garage and CBC studio at 32 Davenport Rd. to create the home of his practice since May 1966.

Moriyama's early practice growth was based on several business and residential clients including the Crothers family, who owned a heavy equipment business. Other prominent commissions included a Private Golf Course Half-way House (1961), Edwards Gardens Shelter (1963), a number of motels, Ford dealerships, more projects for the George Crothers firm, and the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (1958-1962). In 1964 Moriyama was given the contract to design the Ontario Centre of Science and Technology, the Ontario government's Centennial Project, which opened in 1969. Successful competitions followed: the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo land-use plan; Scarborough Civic Centre, 1969-1973; Brock University buildings, 1969, and other university buildings at York and Waterloo.

Many of Moriyama's long-term employees joined the firm in this period, including Ted Teshima, who started working in 1962, then came on as a full associate in 1966. The firm changed its name to Moriyama & Teshima Architects in 1970 when Teshima became a full partner.

Corporate body · 1915-

The Order Sons of Italy of Canada is a fraternal society for Italians in Canada.

The Order Sons of Italy of Canada originated in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in 1915. After the successful foundation of a social club for Italian immigrants one year earlier, Father J.P. Martinez, a local Catholic parish priest, encouraged the members of this group to apply for affiliation with the Order Sons of Italy in America. Founded in 1905 in New York City, the goal of the Order Sons of Italy in America was to re-unite in one single family all Italians scattered throughout North America.

By the early 1920's enough local (or "filial") lodges had been founded across Ontario to qualify for the formation of a Grand Lodge in 1924. The creation of the Grand Lodge led to the official incorporation of the Order Sons of Italy in Ontario (OSIO) in 1926. Later that same year, the Mutual Benefit Society of the Order Sons of Italy in Ontario was incorporated as a special body dedicated to administering sick benefits and mortuary insurance.

By 1939, there were 28 lodges, nine of which were female lodges. In 1993, with its spread to Manitoba, the OSIO was officially reincorporated as the Order Sons of Italy of Canada.

During the years of peak popularity in the 1920s and 1930s, OSIO members from the Italian consulate often promoted fascist ideologies which were prevalent in Italy at the time. Some members broke away from the OSIO to form a left-wing splinter group, the Independent Order of the Sons of Italy, in Montreal.

The OSIO came under suspicion by authorities during the Second World War when Canada was at war with Italy. A number of leaders were declared 'enemy aliens' and were interned. Many of the filial lodges closed during the war, while others operated at a reduced capacity. When the war ended, only some lodges were revived, while others were newly created.

The OSIO eventually regained its former popularity as it strove to assist newcomers to Canada during the height of Italian immigration from 1951-1961. In the 1970's, membership numbers began to decline again with changing demographics and a shift in the needs and interests of the Italian-Canadian community. This period was followed by a broadening in geographic scope when lodges were founded in Manitoba in the early 1980's.

Lodges are governed by a slate of elected officers. The head of each lodge is the President (formerly "Venerable"), and is aided by several officers including the assistant President, Administrative Secretary, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Orator, and Trustees. The Grand Lodge operates in the same fashion, however it does so on a national level by providing an administrative locus for all filial lodges.

Harris, Michael Deane, 1945-
Person · 1945-

Michael (Mike) D. Harris was the 22nd Premier of Ontario from 1995-2002, the Leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario from 1990 to 2002, and the MPP for Nipissing in the Ontario Legislature, from 1981 to 2002.

Michael Deane Harris, the son of Deane and Hope Harris, was born in 1945 in Toronto and grew up in North Bay. He attended Waterloo Lutheran University (now Wilfrid Laurier University) and earned his teacher's certificate from the North Bay teacher's college. Prior to his election to the Legislature in 1981, he worked in North Bay as a teacher, managed the family-owned ski resort business and worked as a golf pro. He also served as a trustee (1975-1981) and chairman (1977-1981) of the Nipissing Board of Education.

Harris first ran and was first elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1981 as the Progressive Conservative member of Nipissing. He was re-elected MPP in the following five general elections (1985, 1987, 1990, 1995, 1999). In the short-lived Miller government, from February to June 1985, he was appointed to Cabinet, serving as Minister of Natural Resources and Minister of Energy. From 1986 to 1989, he served as Opposition House Leader.

In 1990 he successfully ran in the PC Party leadership race, taking on the role of leader of the third party in the Legislature during the Bob Rae NDP government (1990-1995). On the platform of the Common Sense Revolution, released in May 1994, Mike Harris led the Progressive Conservatives to electoral victory on June 8, 1995, becoming the 22nd Premier of Ontario. Harris won a second majority government on June 4, 1999. He stepped down as Premier effective April 15, 2002.

Since departing politics, Mike Harris has worked as a business consultant for Goodmans LLP, a law firm in Toronto. In fall 2002 he was appointed a senior fellow of the Fraser Institute, a conservative think tank and policy research group located in Vancouver.

Crysler (family)
Family · 1746-2002

The Crysler family (1746-2002) flourished in Niagara Township from the late eighteenth century, holding prominent community roles until the twentieth century as military, business, farming and church leaders.

The Crysler family emigrated to the Niagara Peninsula in 1781 from Schoharie County in New York State in the midst of the American Revolutionary War.

As Loyalist settlers, the Crysler family were granted nearly 4000 acres of land in Niagara Township.

Much of the land was sold in the early settlement years; however, successive generations of Cryslers farmed portions of this land from the 1780s to the 1970s.

The Crysler farms were primarily fruit farms specializing in peaches but also producing pears, plums, cherries, apples and grapes. The family also produced grains, vegetables, dairy and poultry products.

Products were sold to the 'basket trade' in Toronto and also in bulk to canning factories, the Greaves jam manufacturer in Niagara-on-the-Lake and to wineries.

Members of the family were active in a variety of positions in Niagara community life including involvement in militias, local business, civic politics, fraternities including the Masons, as well as church groups and local instrumental bands.

The Cryslers were avid record keepers and they maintained detailed domestic and farm accounts, correspondence and diaries, and many other family-related documents.

The family was of German Palatine descent and various spellings of the family name appear throughout the records. In early family records, the name is frequently spelled Kryslaer or Greisler but in the Niagara area branch was standardized to Crysler by the early 1800s.

The Niagara Crysler family was related to the Cryslers of the Battle of Crysler's Farm fame (1813) and also to the American Chrysler auto company family.

Corporate body · 1963-

Envision-The Hough Group Limited is a Toronto-based design and environmental planning firm offering services in prime consultancy, master planning, site planning and design, project management and construction contract administration, environmental and visual assessments, public consultation and feasibility studies to public and private sector clients across Canada and internationally.

ENVision-The Hough Group Limited was first established as Michael Hough & Associates in 1963 by Michael Hough. The firm's first commission was the design of Scarborough College and the approach the firm took was to exemplify how ecological principles could influence broad planning and detailed design. This approach won them an Honour Award from the American Society of Landscape Architects for the project. Ontario Place was another significant project for the firm in its early years, and it was also an award winner for its architectural planning and design aspects.

The focus of the firm in the 1970s was to incorporate more aspects of science-based resource management into landscape architecture. Examples of this type of system-based approach include the guidebook “Principles of site development - elementary schools K-6”.

At that point in time, the firm's professionals integrated a variety of scientific knowledge including limnology, geography, plant ecology, and landscape architecture along with resource policy development to plan landscapes creatively. Additionally, the firm continued to apply its expertise in waterfront planning to large-scale open space projects such as Lakefront Promenade Park and East Point Park in Mississauga, Ontario, among others.

In the 1980s, the focus of the firm shifted more to advocacy of ecological restoration as a key component of urban design. The knowledge developed by the firm in the 1970s aided them in applying scientific assessment techniques to urban watersheds and urban green space systems.

In the 1990s and 2000s, the firm continues to apply its expertise in the area of relationships between broad natural systems and human-based communities. The firm leads research on methods of preserving both natural and cultural heritage systems within built environments. The firm has also had a role to play in large-scale natural restoration initiatives such as the Bring Back the Don [River].

Notable persons who have worked in the firm include James C. Stansbury, who joined the firm in 1966, first serving as principal landscape architect (until 1975), subsequently as President and Director of Land Planning and Development (1975-1983), and later just as President (1983). Other long-term members and partners include Michael Michalski, who left to found his own environmental planning firm Michalski Nielson Associates Ltd. in 1983, and Carolyn Woodland.

The firm has undergone several changes in its incorporation since its inception as Michael Hough & Associates in 1963. In 1969, it became known as Hough Stansbury & Associates, in 1979 as Hough Stansbury & Michalski Limited, in 1986 as Hough Stansbury + Woodland Limited, in 1999 as Hough Woodland Naylor Dance Leinster, and finally as ENVision - the Hough Group (2000-present).

The firm is currently comprised of a team of planners, landscape architects, designers, ecologists and project managers and works with other design professionals or as prime consultants on projects through initial feasibility stages through concept development to construction implementation.

The firm has completed projects in the following areas: urban and civic design including downtown and waterfront revitalization studies, streetscape design, parks and commercial sites; waterfront planning and design including master planning of urban harbourfronts, shoreline restoration, and fisheries enhancement; parks planning and development including the design of national, regional and municipal parks; corporate and industrial design; community and strategic planning including greenway and open space system studies, visual impact assessments and participation in environmental assessments; recreation and tourism planning including resort development; natural and cultural heritage planning; ecological design and landscape restoration including environmental planning for natural heritage systems, landscape restoration plans for specific sites, and the integration of interpretive and educational elements in local programming; and brownfield restoration.

The firm has been successful in numerous design competitions and has received several awards such as Urban Design Awards from the City of Mississauga, Merit and Citation Awards from the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, and Honor and Citation Awards from the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects, among others.

A few of the firm's notable projects are: Ontario Place in Toronto, Ontario; Lakefront Promenade Park in Mississauga, Ontario; and Gulf Canada's Clarkson Refinery in Mississauga, Ontario.

Hough, Michael, 1928-
Person · 1928-

Michael Hough is a contemporary Toronto-based landscape architect well known for his work in the firm he founded, now known as ENVision-The Hough Group Limited, as well as for his university teaching work, consulting work, and authorship.

Michael Hough was born in Nice, France in 1928. While a young man, he served with the British Army in Singapore and Malaysia (1947-1949). Afterward, he earned a Diploma in Architecture from the Edinburgh College of Art in 1955, a Master of Landscape Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1958, and founded the landscape architecture and design firm first known as Michael Hough & Associates in 1963 in Toronto, Ontario. Hough served as a principal in the firm until 1995. Prior to founding this firm, Hough held positions at Basil Spence & Partners in Edinburgh, Scotland (1956-1958) and Project Planning Associates in Toronto, Ontario (1959-1962).

Hough was also responsible for initiating and developing the first undergraduate program in landscape architecture at the University of Toronto (1963-1964) where he served as Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture (1963-1970) and Head of the Division of Landscape Architecture in the School of Architecture (1966-1967). Subsequently he became a professor in the Faculty of Environmental Studies at York University (1970-present). From 1962 to the present, Hough has also served as visiting critic and consultant to various universities in the United States and Canada including Rhode Island School of Design, North Carolina State University, Carleton University and the University of Manitoba.

Hough and his firm received several awards for his landscape architecture work including: American Society of Landscape Architects Honour Award (for Scarborough College, 1967); Merit in Design (for Ontario Place, Canadian Society of Architects, 1975); American Society of Interior Designers International Design Award (for Ontario Place, 1975); Honor Award (for Design Guidelines for Forest Management [manual], 1978); and Ontario Renews Award, Site Renovation Category, Ministry for Municipal Affairs & Housing (1984).

Hough has also received several awards recognizing other aspects of professional contributions including: Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Bradford Williams award for Journalistic Excellence (1990); Toronto Arts Award for Architecture and Design (1991); and Lieutenant Governor's Award for Conservation (1993). He is also a Fellow of the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, previously having served as President (1985-1986).

Additionally, Hough has published several books concerning landscape architecture, land conservation and development, and urban design including: The Urban Landscape (1971); City Form and Natural Process (1984); Land Conservation and Development (1984); Out of Place (1990); and Cities and Natural Process (1995). Additionally, he was a co-author for In Celebration of Play (1980) and People & City Landscapes (1987) as well as a contributor for several other publications.

Hough's utilization of a framework of biological principles rather than mere ornamental objectives as the basis for landscape architecture was a new approach to the field. His architectural work, teaching posts, publication of several books, speaking engagements and other professional work have ensured his prominent place and lasting impact in the field.

Michael Hough currently resides with his wife Bridget in Toronto.

Rogers (family)
Family · 1728-

The Rogers family was established in Upper Canada when James Rogers (1728-1790) led a group of loyalists from the United States to the north shore of Lake Ontario to claim the lands granted to them for military service on the British side during the American Revolutionary War. Descendents of James Rogers were active in politics, farming, business and the military from the late 18th to the early 20th centuries.

James Rogers (1728-1790) and his younger brother Robert Rogers (1731-1795) were both active in military life. During the Seven Years' War, Robert Rogers established the Rogers Rangers, which in later incarnations was known as the King's Rangers and the Queen's Rangers. James served in his brother's company. When the American Revolutionary War started, James enlisted with the British Army and rose to the rank of Major Commandant of the Second Battalion of the Queen's Rangers.

In recognition of his military service, James Rogers received land grants in Upper Canada. He and his wife, Margaret McGregor Rogers, led a group of loyalists first to Quebec (where they were cashiered). The Rogerses settled finally in Fredericksburgh, on the north shore of Lake Ontario, south of present-day Ottawa. James and Margaret had five children: James, David McGregor (1772-1824), Mary (d. 1793), Mary Anne and Margaret (1776-1866).

Children of James Rogers (1728-1790):

James Rogers (d. 1803?)

David McGregor Rogers (1772-1824) settled in Northumberland County. He was a Major in the militia and served several times as a member of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada 1800-1824. He married Sarah Playter of York in 1802. Sarah died in 1810. David died at his residence in Grafton. David and Sarah had four children: James G. (1805-1874), Mary Eliza (1807-1886), Robert David (1809-1885) and Elizabeth Welding.

Mary Rogers (d. 1793) married John Armstrong, Secretary to Governor Simcoe.

Mary Ann Rogers married John Peters, who later became Sheriff of Hastings and Northumberland County.

Margaret Rogers (1776-1866) married Aaron Greeley (1773-1820) in 1803 at the Carrying Place in Prince Edward County, Upper Canada. Aaron Greeley was a land surveyor and he also built two mills at Grafton and Brighton. Margaret and Aaron had a daughter Susan (1806-1904) and three sons. Two of their sons, David and Aaron, died ca. 1850. Susan lived with her mother and brothers on their farm in the eastern part of Haldimand Township near Colborne. Susan continued to live at this farm until her death at age 98. She was famous in the locality as a Sunday school teacher.

Children of David McGregor Rogers (1772-1824):

James G. Rogers (1805-1874) farmed near Grafton and was in charge of the Northumberland troop of Volunteer Cavalry at the time of the 1837 Rebellion. In 1830 he married Maria, daughter of the Hon. Zaccheus Burnham (1777-1857). Burnham was a Captain in the militia during the War of 1812 and was elected to the Assembly of Upper Canada in 1816 and 1834. James and Maria were parents of ten children: David McGregor, Margaret Ascha (1837-1865), Henry Cassady (1839-1914), Robert Zacheus (1842-1911), James Charles (1844-1875), Maria Harriet “Hattie” (1846-1928), Edmund James Armstrong (1852-1922), Mary Eliza, Sarah, and Sophia Augusta (1850-1873).

Mary Eliza Rogers (1807-1886) married Henry Cassady (1797-1839) in 1826. He was a lawyer in Kingston, who was later elected to be Mayor of that city. He died while in office.

Robert David Rogers (1809-1885) established and operated a mill on the Otonabee River in Peterborough. His son James Zacheus Rogers (1842-1909) was a Lt. Colonel in the militia.

Children of James G. Rogers (1805-1874):

Henry Cassady Rogers (1839-1914) settled in Peterborough and was the postmaster there for many years. He was a Lt. Colonel in the militia.

Robert Zacheus Rogers (1842-1911) was also active in the militia. At the time of the 1866 Fenian Raids he was a Lieutenant, and later he organized the 40th Northumberland Battalion of Infantry, becoming their Lt. Colonel in 1885. In the 1870s, Robert engaged in real estate development in what was to become Manitoba. He established the town of Milford on the slopes of the Souris River. The community did not succeed, however, because the railway bypassed it in 1881. By 1890 the town was largely deserted. Robert Zacheus married Isabella Bell Waddell in 1867. Isabella (1844-1935) was the daughter of John Waddell (1818-1870) and Nancy Almira Eberts Waddell of Chatham, Ontario. The Eberts and the Waddells were involved in shipping, trading and milling. R.Z. and Isabella had six children: Robert Percy (1872-1934), Charles Herman (1876-1946), Mary Eliza, Emily Gertrude, Maria Louise (1875-1961), who was known as "Rye", and Nora Beatrice (1880-1910).

Descendants of Robert Zacheus Rogers (1842-1911):

Robert Percy Rogers (1872-1934) attended Royal Military College, and thereafter practised as a civil engineer. When the World War broke out in 1914, he joined the army as a Captain. He was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel and was in charge of building and operating underground railway systems, which were used to transport wounded soldiers and German prisoners of war from the front battle lines to the rear. After the war he went back to civilian engineering, with his home base in Woodstock. He died as a result of a fire in 1934. Percy married Mary Richardson; they had four children: Robert T.L. (1909-1998), Mary Adelaide “Peggy” (1912-1998), Nora Margaret (1914-1994) and John Peter David (1920-1994).

Charles Herman Rogers (1876-1946) was educated at the Ontario Agricultural College and the University of Toronto. He served as a Major in South Africa from 1902-1904, and in 1912 was promoted to Lt. Colonel of the 3rd Prince of Wales Dragoons in Peterborough and Grafton. He was with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces during the First World War and fought at Ypres. He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1918. Charles married Bertha Merritt in 1908 and lived at Homewood, the house his grandfather James G. Rogers had built at Grafton. Charles and Bertha were the parents of three children from her first marriage, and together they had two children: Phyllis and Dorothy Beatrice (1909-2001). Dorothy Rogers married James Willis Howard (1899-1987) in 1930, and eventually they settled in Belleville. Dorothy and James Howard were the parents of Shirley Louise and Joseph H.G. "Jay".

Emily Gertrude Rogers worked as a nurse in Denver .

Nora Beatrice Rogers (1880-1910) married William “Billie” King in 1909. In 1910, Nora died shortly after giving birth to her first child, Mary Nora Beatrice.

MacLean, Andrew, 1821-1873
Person · 1821-1873

Rev. Andrew MacLean (1821-1873) was a Presbyterian minister, born at Moy, Invernesshire, Scotland who immigrated to Canada West in 1855 to take up an appointment as minister at Knox Presbyterian Church at Crieff.

Andrew MacLean, born on 19 October 1821 at Dalriach in the parish of Moy, Invernesshire, Scotland, was the son of Ewen MacLean (1796-1872) and Katherine Fraser (d. 1871). Besides Andrew, their children were Ewen, John, Donald, Ann (b. 1824), Lachlan (1826-1827), Marjory (called May, b. 1829), Alexander (b. 1831), and William (1834-1871). Donald emigrated to Earltown, Nova Scotia, and siblings Alexander and Marjory went to Australia.

As a young boy, Andrew worked for Rev. McLauchlan, the parish minister. In 1838, Andrew moved to Inverness to work as a flesher with his brother John. A native Gaelic speaker, Andrew taught himself English at this time. He attended Edinburgh Normal School under Thomas Oliphant, later teaching at Skerry in Sutherland and Carinish in North Uist. Between 1848 and 1856, Andrew also studied divinity at the University of Edinburgh, under the Highland Committee and later on a Free Church scholarship.

In 1856, Andrew was invited to come to North America by Rev. John Bayne, then a minister at Galt in Canada West. MacLean sailed in December of that year. He preached his first sermon in West Puslinch, the new parish where he was to serve for 16 years, in February 1857. On the death of Bayne, Andrew was appointed moderator of the Kirk-Session.

On 5 December 1861, Andrew married Catherine Cameron at Chatsworth, Canada West. Catherine and Andrew had two sons, John Bayne MacLean and Hugh Cameron MacLean.

Andrew MacLean's health began to fail, and he was induced to make a number of trips to Portland, Maine for the improvement of his health. He died at the age of 53 at the Manse in Crieff, Ontario on 20 April 1873.

Corporate body · 1909-1964

Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited, based in Toronto, Ontario, was a major Canadian publisher, primarily of trade journals such as Canada Lumberman.

Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited was established around 1909 by Hugh Cameron MacLean, basing the company on the publications of C.H. Mortimer, including Canada Lumberman, which MacLean had purchased in 1907. To these were added numerous other new trade journals, such as Footwear in Canada in 1911, and more acquired titles, such as Furniture and Furnishings in 1919.

The company relocated in 1914 to its own building at 345 West Adelaide Street in Toronto, Ontario. In 1954 Hugh C. MacLean built a modern printery at Don Mills.

In addition to Hugh C. MacLean, executives in the company over the years included: Thomas Seymour Young; Andrew Dyas MacLean; James Alexander Daly; Aubrey Acton Burrows; George Collington; and Samuel Stewart Moore.

The Southam family purchased Hugh C. MacLean Publications Limited and operated it as a separate company, under the name Southam-MacLean Publications Limited, which became Southam Business Publications Limited in 1964.