Northrop & Lyman Co. (Limited) was a general agent and dealer in patent medicines. The business was established in 1854 and was originally located in Newcastle, Ontario before moving to Toronto in 1874. At first, the business was located on Scott Street, but in 1879 it moved to 21 Front Street West. The warehouse had a frontage of 30 x 160 feet with four flats. The firm employed four travelers and about thirty employees. Northrop & Lyman eventually became one of the largest dealers in patent medicines in Canada with both a national and international reputation. The business closed in 1980.