Showing 17886 results

Persoon/organisatie

Buckley, Brian

  • 038
  • Persoon
  • 1929 - Present

Brian Buckley was born in Blackhill, Consett, County Durham, England in 1929. After graduating from the engineering program at Camborne School of Mines in 1950, he immigrated to Canada on the White Star Line ship Georgic, landing on May 26, 1951 at Pier 21 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Buckley was hired by the International Nickel Company (Inco) in Sudbury, Ontario on June 7, 1951. He worked on a timber crew, shaft-sinking, raise development and stope mining at the mine in Levack, Ontario. During his time in Levack, Buckley boarded at room 14, #2 bunkhouse which was run by Crawley & McCracken at the time.

Buckley left the Levack Mine on March 26, 1952 to work in Engineering, Operations and Administration for Cominco Mines in British Columbia. In September 1974, Buckley was sent by his employer to Sudbury, Ontario to attend a three day mining convention. During this trip, he attended a tour of the Strathcona Mine and the Stobie Mine.

In 1986, Brian Buckley retired and began working as an independent consultant on a gold mine project in Hedley, British Columbia. After three years, he finished the Hedley project and is now retired in Sardis, British Columbia.

Creighton Mine Athletic Association

  • 039
  • Instelling
  • 1949 - 1973

The Creighton Mine Athletic Association (C.M.A.A.) was founded in November 1949 in Creighton Mine, Ontario. The objective of the C.M.A.A. was to sponsor and organize a variety of sports teams and athletic activities for the residents of Creighton Mine. Athletics were a popular and important pastime in the town and the International Nickel Company (Inco) took every opportunity to promote those activities, especially among their mining staff. The C.M.A.A. provided funding for the following sports teams in the area: senior men's baseball, junior boy's baseball, junior girls softball, women's softball, men's softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, badminton and hockey. The C.M.A.A. provided uniforms and equipment for the teams and arranged transportation for out-of-town games, sometimes using their own vehicles and sometimes hiring taxis. All Inco employees and non-employees living in the Sudbury and Creighton Mine areas were free to join any of the sports teams sponsored by the C.M.A.A. The association also funded a playground for Creighton Mine, planned a field day each year between 1951 and at least 1955 and provided money for, and took care of, the Creighton Mine Rink.

To fund these endeavors the C.M.A.A. collected dues from their members, had monthly dances, hosted a weekly bingo night until March 1953 and raffled off prizes a number of times per year. Meetings were held at the Employees Club at Inco in Creighton Mine.

The C.M.A.A. dissolved in 1973. By 1986, the town of Creighton Mine closed down due to the high cost of maintaining the area and residents were relocated to other, nearby communities.
President (Honourable – President of Inco):

Earl E. Mumford (1951 – 1968)
Bruce King (1969 – [1973])

Chairmen:

J.H. Douglas (1951)
Percy R. Britton (1952)
T.B. Starkey (1953 – 1954)
S. McIsaac (1955 – 1957)
G. Lynn (1958 – 1959)
Percy R. Britton (1960 – 1962)
M.K. Smith (1963 – 1971)
Eugene “Gene” Roy (1972 – [1973])

Phillips, Donald

  • 040
  • Persoon
  • 1922 - 2000

Donald Eric Phillips was born June 30, 1922 in Braeside, Ontario. After attending Arnprior District High School in Arnprior, Ontario, Phillips went to work for Gillies Lumber Mill in Braeside, Ontario in 1938. On August 14, 1940, Phillips joined the Lanark & Renfrew Scottish Regiment as a Private (C 416548). On July 9, 1941, he received his discharge papers and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) as a Leading Aircraftman-Mechanic (LAC, CAN R111651) July 17, 1941. During this time, he received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and the Maple Leaf Medal for severing overseas. Phillips was honourably released from duty on October 3, 1945.

After the war, Phillips worked for Ontario Hydro at Stewartville Dam. In 1947, he relocated to Sudbury, Ontario for a position at the International Nickel Company (Inco). Phillips was employed in the Electric Motor Shop and Winding Room section of Inco for approximately ten years.

On March 27, 1948, Donald Phillips married Charlotte Vance (1923-1979) at the Anglican Church in Arnprior, Ontario. The Phillips family returned to Arnprior around 1957 where Donald Phillips started his own company called 'Phillips Electric Motor Service.'

Phillips retired from his company in 1990. He was an active member of the Royal Canadian Legion and he also was a ham radio operator with the call sign VE3S01.

Donald Phillips passed away May 18, 2000 at the age of 77.

Canadian Slovak Benefit Society Branch 21

  • 041
  • Instelling
  • 1937 - 2005

On April 11, 1937, twenty-one Slovak-Canadians in Creighton Mine, Ontario came together and founded a Group Term Life Benefit Plan to help members and their families during times of need. This was a very active group and by 1942, the members had also started branches for Slovak-Canadian women and youth in the area. In December 1946, members of this group, along with many other similar Slovak-Canadian organizations across Canada, voted for the creation of The Canadian Slovak Benefit Society (C.S.B.S.). This new organization was a merger of many of the independent benefit societies across Canada. By 1965, the C.S.B.S. had become the second largest Slovak society in Canada with 38 branches and 2,035 members. The Creighton Mine section of The Canadian Slovak Benefit Society of Canada became known as Branch 21.

Fraternal benefit societies had been popular amongst Slovaks living and working in Canada since the late 19th Century. At that time, many men realized that neither the company they worked for nor the Canadian Government would compensate them for work time lost due to sickness, injury or death. Slovaks across Canada formed group benefit plans so that in the event of illness or death they and their family members could count on a form of insurance to keep them out of poverty. While the C.S.B.S.’s main function was to collect money from its members and disperse that money if needed, members also made sick-bed visits and sent flowers or wreaths to sick or grieving members. To decide how to spend the money raised within the branch, all members would vote on when and how to spend the money and who qualified to receive a share of the funds.

Branch 21 also gave members of the Slovak community in Creighton Mine a place to come together, socialize and maintain their culture while living so far from Slovakia. After monthly meetings, many of the members would stay to discuss their families, politics, Slovakia’s history and their experiences living in Canada. Each year two or three members of Branch 21 were chosen to attend a C.S.B.S. convention, where they would meet fellow Slovaks from other parts of Canada which allowed them to maintain close ties on a national level. Branch 21, along with other C.S.B.S. branches in the Sudbury area, helped to run the Slovak National House on Alder Street where they would hold concerts and plays filled with traditional Slovak music and literature. Summer picnics, dances, Christmas card sales and New Year’s Eve and Mardi Gras parties also served to bring members of the Slovak community together while raising money for the society.

On April 11, 1997 Branch 21 celebrated its 60th Anniversary. To commemorate this event, they donated a plaque to the Anderson Farm Museum in Lively, Ontario honouring the C.S.B.S. and each of the founding members. The Canadian Slovak Benefit Society was dissolved on September 18th, 2005 due to low membership.

Branch 21 Chairmen:

Andrej Petrenko (1937 – 1940)
Pavol Zamiska (1941 – 1944)
Andrej Zacharovsky (1945 – 1947)
Pavol Zamiska (1948 – after 1963)

Canadian Slovak Benefit Society Branch 43

  • 042
  • Instelling
  • 1953 - 2005

The Canadian Slovak Benefit Society (C.S.B.S.) Branch 43 was founded on January 3, 1953 in Sudbury, Ontario. Branch 43 was established as a youth group within the C.S.B.S. by members who had split away from the already established Branch 8 youth section. The members of the new Branch 43 felt they could accomplish more as a separate unit by basing their group on the example of youth groups in other towns. Fifteen new members attended the first meeting of Branch 43 at the Slovak National House, where they elected the Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary.

Fraternal benefit societies had been popular amongst Slovaks living and working in Canada since the late 19th Century and the first one was established in the Sudbury District in Creighton Mine, Ontario in 1937. At that time, many men realized that neither the company they worked for nor the Canadian Government would compensate them for work time lost due to sickness, injury or death. Slovaks across Canada formed group benefit plans so that in the event of illness or death they and their family members could count on a form of insurance to keep them out of poverty. In December 1946, members of Slovak-Canadian organizations across Canada, voted for the creation of the C.S.B.S. through the merging of many pre-existing benefit groups. While the C.S.B.S.’s main function was to collect money from its members and disperse that money if needed, members also made sick-bed visits and sent flowers or wreaths to sick or grieving members. To decide how to spend the money raised within the branch, all members would vote on when and how to spend the money and who qualified to receive a share of the funds.

Branch 43 gave young members of the Slovak community in Sudbury a place to come together, socialize and maintain their culture while living so far from Slovakia. After monthly meetings, many of the members would stay to discuss their families, politics, Slovakia’s history and their experiences living in Canada. Branch 43, along with other C.S.B.S. branches in the Sudbury area, helped to run the Slovak National House on Alder Street where they would hold concerts and plays filled with traditional Slovak music and literature. Summer picnics, dances, Christmas card sales and New Year’s Eve and Mardi Gras parties also served to bring members of the Slovak community together while raising money for the society.

The Canadian Slovak Benefit Society was dissolved on September 18, 2005 due to low membership.

Branch 43 Chairmen:

Ján Urban Jr. – January 3, 1953 to February 28, 1960
Paul Tomcik – February 28, 1960 to [after December 2, 1973]
Ján Hovanec – [?] to [after June 2, 1985]

Canadian Garlic Festival

  • 043
  • Instelling
  • 1992 - Present

The first Garlic Festival in Sudbury, Ontario took place in Hnatyshyn Park on August 30, 1992. In 1994, the Garlic Festival (aka Sudbury Garlic Festival) was renamed The Canadian Garlic Festival. The festival was started by Mary Stefura who came up with the idea after attending a garlic festival in California during the early 1980's. Mary Stefura created this event as a fundraiser for the Ukrainian Seniors’ Centre and it very quickly grew into a community wide event, visited by thousands of people each year.

The festival was family oriented and featured a wide variety of events for people of all ages, including musical performers, dancers and children’s activities, such as pony rides, puppet shows, arts and crafts, face painting and inflatable games. For garlic enthusiasts, the festival brought in garlic growers and vendors to explain how to cultivate garlic, how best to eat garlic and the many health benefits of including garlic in a daily diet. There were also cook-offs, chili competitions, garlic braiding and garlic pyrohy eating contests. Volunteers and members of the Ukrainian Seniors’ Centre spent the weeks leading up to the festival cooking garlic-filled snacks and finger foods, such as hummus, garlic chicken wings, bruschetta, balabushky, perohy and garlic ice cream, which were sold at the festival. Sponsorship was an important aspect in running the event and many local businesses lent their support financially by donating money, goods and services.

The Canadian Garlic Festival has become an annual Sudbury event held on the last Sunday in August.

Chair:

Mary Stefura – 1992 to [?]
Mike Sharko – 1996 – [?]
Mary Stefura – [1998 - ?]

Gillespie, John H.

  • 044
  • Persoon
  • 1882 - 1932

John Halliday Gillespie was born March 1, 1882 in Morrisburg, Ontario to stonemason James Johnston Gillespie and Sarah Halliday. The seventh of at least twelve children, Gillespie graduated from Morrisburg Collegiate Institute in 1901 and obtained a second class teaching certificate from the normal school in June, 1904. In January 1906, Gillespie began his new position at the Sudbury Public School in Sudbury, Ontario as a teacher and the First Assistant to the Principal. His classes included SR IV, JR IV, and for a brief time, SR III (ages 12-16). During this time, he most likely met his future wife, Margaret Elizabeth Arthur, who was the daughter of Dr. R. H. Arthur.

In September 1906, Gillespie left teaching and enrolled in the medical program at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec. He was absent for the 1908-1909 school year for medical reasons and graduated with a specialty in surgery in 1911. After graduation, Gillespie returned home to Morrisburg, Ontario to work as a doctor in their hospital for a brief time before moving to Medicine Hat, Alberta where he became a general practitioner. Gillespie married Margaret Arthur in Toronto, Ontario on December 31, 1913. They had two daughters (Elizabeth Halliday Gillespie born circa 1916 and Margaret Louise Gillespie born February 11, 1918) and by 1921 moved to Windsor, Ontario. In 1930, the family lived in Queens, New York where Gillespie maintained his practice until his death after a brief illness January 11, 1932 at the age of 49. John Gillespie was interred at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Williamsburg, Ontario (between Morrisburg and Mariatown, Ontario).

Rose, Herbert

  • 045
  • Persoon
  • 1897-1968

Ernest Herbert Rose (aka Herb Rose) was born July 6, 1897 in Kinsley, Kansas to Railroad Telegrapher George Rose and his wife Bertha Ginn. When Herbert Rose was five years old, his father passed away and his mother took over the telegraphy work. Due to this work, Rose and his mother often moved and never stayed in the same place for more than two or three years.

During the First World War, Rose served as a code interceptor for foreign radio stations with the Intelligence Branch of the Signal Corps. He also worked with a group at the Bureau of Standards in Washington, DC on the creation of the direction finder. After the war, Rose graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Chemical Engineering.
In 1919, Rose married fellow student Lucile Collins (1895-1985, a Biology student at the University of Kansas) and their daughter Miriam Rose (1920-1993, aka Miriam MacAskill) was born around the time of their graduation on July 9, 1920.

Rose’s first position after graduation was in New Mexico as an assayer for the Phelps Dodge Corporation. After the plant shut down, he worked for the Peet Soap Factory in Kansas, followed by a position as an Assistant Efficiency Engineer with the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company before returning to the Phelps Dodge Corporation at their Nacozati, Mexico plant as a Metallurgist. During his time at the plant in Mexico, Rose was sent for two years to Bolivia to serve as the Mill Superintendent at the Patino Mines. After his return to Mexico, he was promoted to Mill Superintendent.

In October 1930, Rose relocated to Copper Cliff, Ontario to work at the new concentrator at the Copper Cliff Mine. He became the Concentrator Superintendent after W.T. MacDonald’s retirement in 1936. During his time in Copper Cliff, Rose took many home movies. He first began this hobby shortly after the birth of his son George Rose (1936-1970, aka George Herbert Rose) on February 10, 1936; however, the idea of creating home movies occurred to Rose shortly before he left Mexico after a friend filmed his daughter at the age of ten. Rose became very well known in Copper Cliff for his amateur film making. He preferred to shoot using colour film and preferred filming children; especially red haired, freckle faced children.

In November 1946, Rose accepted a new position as a Milling Problems Consulting Expert with the Copper Range Company’s White Pine Mine in Painesdale, Michigan. Eventually, Rose also worked for the Koppers Company United States Steel Corporation and in February 1949, was named a member of the Atomic Energy Commission’s advisory committee on raw materials.

Herbert Rose passed away on May 27, 1968 at the Oakmount Residence in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania at the age of 71.

Judd, Chester Roy

  • 047
  • Persoon
  • 1896 - 1969

Chester Roy Judd (aka C.R. Judd) was born on August 28, 1896 to Robert Judd and Ida Judd (née Ida Dickson) in London, Middlesex County, Ontario. The fourth of seven sons, Judd attended London Collegiate followed by the London Normal School, where he graduated in 1919 with a Permanent Second Class Teaching Certificate (upgraded to a first class teaching certificate by 1940).

Judd’s first position as a teacher was at Edith Cavell School in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario during the 1919-1920 school year. The following school year, he taught at Sault Ste. Marie’s Central School. At the end of his second year of teaching, Judd left the profession to pursue a career as a chiropractor.

In September 1921, Judd moved to Davenport, Iowa, United States of America, where he attended the Palmer School of Chiropractic and received a Philosopher of Chiropractic (Ph.C.) and a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.). He graduated from Palmer on March 2, 1923. Upon graduation he returned to London, Ontario and set up a chiropractic practice; however, he did not remain a full-time chiropractor for the rest of his career. In 1926, Judd returned to teaching while continuing his chiropractic practice part-time. He retired as a chiropractor in 1965.

On August 11, 1926, Judd accepted the position of principal and teacher at Capreol Public School in Capreol, Ontario and he began teaching on September 7, 1926. The following year, on July 9, 1927, Judd married Esther Irene Mossop (aka Ettie Mossop, 1900-2000) in Middlesex County, Ontario. The couple had known each other while they were students at London Collegiate and the London Normal School, where Ettie graduated with a Permanent First Class Teaching Certificate in 1923. After their wedding, Ettie Judd taught as a substitute teacher at Capreol Public School. In November 1932, the couple welcomed a son, Donald Leslie Judd.

In 1959, due to the rising population of the area, Capreol opened a new, four-room school and named it C.R. Judd Public School in honour of Judd, though he was never an employee there and remained principal of Capreol Public School until his retirement in 1964. After retirement, the Judd family moved to Thamesford, Ontario.

C.R. Judd passed away on February 26, 1969 in Thamesford, Ontario at the age of 72.

Niemi, Karl John

  • 048
  • Persoon
  • 1924-2007

Karl John Niemi was born Kaarlo Johannes Niemela, in Copper Cliff, Ontario on June 1, 1924 to Finnish immigrants, Johannes Niemela (1894-1976 aka John Niemela, John Niemi) and Hilda Toykkala Niemela (1895-1969 aka Hilda Niemela, Hilda Niemi). Around 1930, the Niemela family changed their name to Niemi, but were often still referred to as Niemela. During his childhood, Karl Niemi lived at 19 Poland Street and attended South Side Public School, later matriculating to Copper Cliff High School.

Karl Niemi played hockey, basketball, baseball and participated in diving competitions in his youth. He was a strong swimmer and cross-country skier well into adulthood.

After graduation in 1942, Karl Niemi first apprenticed before working as a welder, at the Copper Cliff Smelter. By 1945, he was an apprentice electrician before becoming a first-class electrician, continuing to work at the Copper Cliff Smelter until retirement.

Karl Niemi married Helen Elizabeth Walli (from Sudbury) on June 16, 1945. They lived upstairs in his parents’ duplex in Copper Cliff and had two daughters. In 1950, John and Hilda Niemi moved to a (hobby) farm in Waters Township, while Karl and Helen Niemi moved to Sudbury, Ontario and eventually had a third daughter.

In addition to working as an electrician, Karl Niemi was an avid accordion player. He began violin lessons at the age of six and accordion lessons at sixteen. Later in life, he taught accordion lessons. His band performed for many years in the Sudbury area at various venues such as the Caruso Club, Idylwylde Golf and Country Club and Sampo & Finn Halls. He also performed at the Crystal Palace in Mitchell, Ontario. The highlight of his musical performances was a multicultural concert in 1991 at Massey Hall in Toronto, Ontario.

Karl Niemi passed away February 13, 2007 in Sudbury, Ontario at the age of 82.

Town of Copper Cliff

  • 049
  • Instelling
  • 1901-1972

The Town of Copper Cliff was incorporated on April 15, 1901 with the Ontario Statutes 1901, Chapter 51. Prior to this time, the area known as Copper Cliff was located within the Townships of McKim and Snider which was surveyed by Provincial Land Surveyor Francis Bolger in 1883.

As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Copper Cliff had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and six councilors. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including fire protection, policing, water and sewage. The Town of Copper Cliff controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.

In 1933, Lot 1, Concession 1 of the Township of Snider was annexed by the Town of Copper Cliff with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. The South ½ of Lot 11, Concession 3 of the Township of McKim was officially annexed under the Ontario Municipal Board to the Town of Copper Cliff in 1943. During the following two decades, the Ontario Municipal Board considered amalgamating Copper Cliff with the City of Sudbury but amalgamation did not actually occur until January 1st, 1973 under the Regional Municipality of Sudbury Act.

Former Mayors of the Town of Copper Cliff include:

Thomas Nicol Kilpatrick 1902
W.C. Kilpatrick 1903 – 1904
Fred Hamilton 1905
J.R. McKinnon 1906 – 1908
George Ralph Craig 1909 – 1913
George Ernest Silvester 1914 – 1917
E.T. Corkill 1918 – 1919
George Ralph Craig 1920 – 1929
Everett Alfred Collins 1930 – 1946
William Tolbert Waterbury 1947 – 1953
Charles Orville Maddock 1954 – 1955
Richard Ross Saddington 1956 – 1958
Richard Godfrey Dow 1959 – 1972

Royal Canadian Legion Dr. Fred Starr Branch 76

  • 050
  • Instelling
  • 1926-Present

The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League Branch 76 received its charter on December 2, 1926. The inaugural meeting was held in the Great War Veteran’s Association (GWVA) Hall in Sudbury, Ontario. The GWVA disbanded shortly after the formation of the Legion with the goal of the new association to include all veterans in a national organization to help meet their needs, educate the public, remember those who gave their lives in service and help promote world peace.

The Legion was first located in the basement of the old post office on the corner of Elm Street and Durham Street in Sudbury, Ontario and became known as “the Dugout.” In the 1930’s a soup kitchen was added and clothing was also made available to those in need.

By 1948, the Branch officially opened the Canadian Legion Memorial Hall on the corner of College Street and Frood Road in Sudbury, Ontario. The land was donated by William Edge Mason and the building was built with the intention of creating a permanent memorial for those who lost their lives for their country and also to serve as a recreational and cultural centre.

After the Legion relocated, they decided to create a Book of Remembrance to record the names of the citizens of the Sudbury area who lost their lives during both world wars. The names were researched by Branch 76’s Honour Roll Committee and the names in the book were written and illuminated with red maple leaves by Roy Barnes. The pedestal to house and display the book was built by Arthur Irvine. The Book of Remembrance was dedicated on November 11, 1949. The Korean War list was later added in the back of the book.

In 1954 the Legion worked with the City of Sudbury in a joint project to construct a Cenotaph in Memorial Park. In 1957, the Memorial Park Cenotaph was dedicated to the soldiers from the Sudbury area who lost their lives during the First, Second and Korean Wars.

In 1956, the Legion changed its name to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76. In 1965, Memorial Hall was sold to the United Steelworkers of America Local 6500. The Legion temporarily moved to the annex building of the former Central Public School on Minto Street until they were able to move into their new hall on Weller Street on October 19, 1973. It was at this time the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76 changed its name to Royal Canadian Legion Dr. Fred Starr Branch 76.

On December 17, 1981, the Legion’s Memorial Plaque, Book of Remembrance and Colours were all moved to Civic Square, now known as Tom Davies Square. The Book of Remembrance remains in a glass case in the main public area at Tom Davies Square where the pages are turned on regular basis to remember the lost soldiers.

Branch 76 continues today to serve Veterans, their families and communities and to promote remembrance.

Former Presidents for Branch 76 include;
E. D. Wilkins 1926-1927
Jules J. Ferry 1928-1929
R. H. Hall 1930
W. Coupar 1931-1932
Dr. N. F. Downe 1933-1936, 1948
T. S. Wilson 1937
R. A. McKinnon 1938
Willis R. Moon 1939-1941
Dr. Fred A. E. Starr 1942-1943, 1949
J. W. McCluskey 1944 (part of year)
F. J. Birbeck 1944
J. E. Newstead 1945
J. H. Strain 1946
W. Bill Allan 1947
Nick Kyrzakos 1950
E. K. Ned Brunton 1951
S. A. H. Cressey 1952-1953
T. G. Moore 1954
W. E. Edwards 1955, 1957
D. Higgins 1956, 1959
Moe Ironstone 1958
E. J. White 1960
C. Bates 1961-1962
J. L. Ross 1963
I. A. Young 1964
A. MacLean 1965
R. Morgan 1966
H. A. Guillet 1967
C. T. Black 1968
Colin Bates 1969 (part of year)
H. L. Williams 1969-1970
C. L. Taylor 1971
R. J. Williams 1972-1973
J. Mira 1973
Carl Cowden 1974
J. L. Doyle 1975-1976
L. A. Mills 1977-1978
W. Elson 1979-1980
E. D. Schroeder 1981-1982
Lloyd G. C. Taylor 1983-1984
Robert W. McKee 1985
Edith L. Beaudry 1986-1987
Stan Smith 1988
George R. Verge 1989-1990
Bernard MacDonald 1991
Robin L. McInall 1992-1993
Gary Costello 1994-1995, 2003-2004
Robert McLay 1996-1997
Alex Killah 1998-2000
Marjorie Thibault 2001-2002, 2005-2006
Ron Robitaille 2007-2009
John Cram 2010
Michel Beaudry 2011-2012
Dave Petrynchyn 2013-2015
Jim Young 2016-2017, 2018 (part of year)
Bruce McNab 2017-2018

Barnes, Roy Chalmers

  • 050
  • Persoon
  • 1884-1962

Roy Chalmers Barnes was born in Smith Falls, Ontario on December 23, 1884 to blacksmith Samuel Barnes (1837-1922) and his wife Agnes Barnes (nee Agnes Chalmers 1845-1916). The youngest of ten children, Barnes moved to Copper Cliff, Ontario in 1910 to work as a telegraph operator and clerk for the Canadian Copper Company and later the International Nickel Company (INCO). He remained in this position until his retirement in 1949.

On October 25, 1911, Barnes married telephone operator Ethyl Mae Keir (September 7, 1886 - November 3, 1975) in Parry Sound, Ontario and they settled to raise a family of four children in Copper Cliff.
Barnes was very active in the community, volunteering with the Boy Scouts. He also founded the Copper Cliff Highland Cadet Corp #765 on July 30, 1918 (originally sponsored by INCO and disbanded January 10, 1993).

Roy Barnes was also very well known for his calligraphy. He was frequently asked to create official documents and illuminated manuscripts such as invitations or greetings to be presented to royalty. One such document was the Book of Remembrance for the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76. Barnes wrote the names of the local World War One and World War Two soldiers who lost their lives in the book in 1949, later adding an addition for the Korean War at the back of the book. The names were provided to Barnes by a Book of Remembrance Committee with the local legion.

After retirement, Barnes and his wife moved to Sudbury, Ontario where they lived the rest of their lives. Roy Barnes passed away on September 18, 1962 at the age of 77.

Starr, Frederick Albert Evan

  • 050
  • Persoon
  • 1898-1975

Frederick Albert Evan Starr was born August 1, 1898 in Kingston, Ontario to merchant David Evans Starr (1871-1935) and his wife Clarissa Eugenie Starr (nee Clarissa Sutcliffe, sometimes written Clara Sutcliffe, 1857-1931). The youngest of six children, Fred Starr and his family moved to Toronto, Ontario prior to 1911.

On April 17, 1916, at the age of 17, Fred Starr returned to Kingston to enlist in the First World War. In order to enlist, he said he was born in 1897 and gave his brother’s occupation as an assistant engineer when asked his profession. After the war, Starr studied dentistry in Toronto. He moved to Sudbury, Ontario around 1935 with his practice located at 10 Elm Street East. By 1937, he moved his office to Cedar Street where it remained for the rest of his career.

Starr was very active with the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 76. He served as president in 1942, 1943 and 1949. The local legion renamed their branch the Dr. Fred Starr Legion Branch 76 to recognize his service in November 1973.

In the mid 1940’s, Fred Starr married Jessie Martin (June 25, 1899 – December 9, 1961). Martin, born and raised in Sudbury, worked with the Children’s Aid Society and served with the YWCA overseas during the Second World War.

After Fred Starr’s retirement in 1952, the Starrs relocated to Lambeth, Ontario. Shortly after his wife’s death, Fred Starr moved again to nearby London, Ontario where he remained for the rest of his life. Fred Starr passed away on January 24, 1975 at the age of 76.

Town of Capreol

  • 051
  • Instelling
  • 1918-2000

The Town of Capreol was incorporated April 1, 1918 under the Railway and Municipal Board Order Procedure File 4628. The town was named after the Township of Capreol, which was surveyed by Ontario Land Surveyor James Stewart Laird in 1893.

As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Capreol had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and councilors, varying in number based on the size of the municipality. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including policing, water and sewage. The Town of Capreol controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.

In 1955, the Township of Capreol incorporated. In 1959, all of Lot 9 and part of Lots 10 and 11 in the Sixth Concession were annexed from the Town of Capreol to the Township of Capreol with the consent of the Ontario Municipal Board. In 1973, the Town of Capreol had its borders changed again with the addition of Sellwood and Milnet. The municipality also joined the newly created Regional Municipality of Sudbury.

On January 1, 2001, the Town of Capreol amalgamated with the City of Sudbury, the Town of Nickel Centre, the Town of Onaping Falls, the Town of Rayside-Balfour, the City of Valley East, the Town of Walden and the unincorporated townships of Fraleck, Parkin, Aylmer, Mackelcan, Rathbun, Scadding, Dryden, Cleland and Dillnewly to form the City of Greater Sudbury.

Former Mayors of the Town of Capreol include;
Dr. William Frederick Shaw 1918
William Bell 1919
Henry Clement 1920, 1922-1923
Charles Hart 1921
Walter Jones 1924-1926
Peter Kilgour 1927-1928
Anthony Hall 1929
J. Murray Mills 1930
Percy Robinson 1931
William Gibson 1932-1935, 1944-1946, 1953-1954
James E. Coyne 1936-1943
Alistair MacLean 1947-1952
Harold Prescott 1955-1961, 1964-1968, 1973-1974
John MacLean 1962-1963
Norman Fawcett 1969-1972
Frank Mazzuca 1975-1997
Dave Kilgour 1997-2000

Shaw, William Frederick

  • 051
  • Persoon
  • 1858-1922

Dr. William Frederick Shaw was born to Irish immigrants Charles Shaw (1819-1900, a clerk) and Mary Ann Soden Shaw (1827-1892) November 29, 1858 in Ottawa, Ontario. The sixth of ten children, Shaw became a physician and worked in the Village of Bracebridge, Ontario (circa 1881). He married Mary Eveline Nicol Ritchie (September 24, 1857 – February 17, 1882) in Toronto, Ontario on April 13, 1881. The Shaws lived in Bracebridge and on February 14, 1882, had a stillborn daughter. Three days later, Mary Shaw died due to complications of the birth.

By 1901, William Shaw was living in Bonfield, Ontario. He married Kate Wilson (born March 20, 1874) November 26, 1902 in Callander, Ontario and carried out his practice as a physician in the Callander area for the next 15 years. During this time, the Shaws lived in nearby Himsworth, Ontario and by 1911, adopted a daughter, Murial J. Guthier Shaw.

In 1916, William Shaw became the Canadian National Railway (CNR) doctor and moved with his family to Capreol, Ontario. In 1918, Shaw petitioned for Capreol to be incorporated as a Town under the Municipal Act and subsequently became the Town of Capreol’s first mayor. In November 1919, Shaw and his family moved back to the Callander area to open a drug store but returned to Capreol in the fall of 1920, residing at 11 Young Street, Capreol, Ontario.

Due to William Shaw’s ill health, the Shaw family went back to Callander in early 1922 and William Frederick Shaw passed away on February 27, 1922 in Himsworth, Ontario at the age of 63.

O'Connor, Margaret

  • 051
  • Persoon
  • April 23, 1886 - February 22, 1938

Margaret Esther Fay was born April 23, 1886 in Almonte, Ontario to John Edmunds Fay (a Grocer, 1841-1925) and Frances Anne Lunney Fay (1859-1930). The fourth of fourteen children (second child of twelve for her mother), Margaret Fay matriculated from Almonte High School, the Perth Model School and the Ottawa Normal School. In 1905, she worked as a teacher in Almonte, Ontario and in 1906 to 1907 around the Ottawa, Ontario area.

On June 13, 1907, Margaret Fay married John Angus O’Connor at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Ottawa, Ontario. Angus O’Connor was born August 19, 1879 in South Glocester, Ontario and was a Farmer at the time of their marriage. The couple moved to Buffalo, New York for about six months and then relocated to Ottawa, Ontario until moving to northern Ontario in 1912 to run a Canadian National Railway travelling provision car together between North Bay and Capreol, Ontario.

In 1914, the O’Connors moved to what would become the Town of Capreol (incorporated in 1918). They ran one of the first grocery stores in the area. In the 1918 Assessment Roll and on the 1921 census, Angus O’Connor was listed as the Proprietor of the Billiard Room (also called the Pool Room) on Young Street. Meanwhile, Margaret O’Connor was appointed the Postmistress of the Capreol Post Office on July 27, 1918 and held the position until her resignation in June 1932. During this time her husband served as a mail carrier.

Three months after her appointment as Postmistress, Margaret O’Connor became the Town Clerk. She held this position from October 17, 1918 until March 11, 1919. (Margaret O’Connor officially resigned on February 10, 1918 but remained in her position of Town Clerk until she was officially relieved of her duties by council on March 11, 1919.) After Margaret O’Connor’s appointment, Angus O’Connor was nominated to serve as a Councillor and was elected by acclamation on December 30, 1918. He served for a year.

On September 7, 1933, Angus O’Connor passed away at his home in Capreol at the age of 54. Margaret O’Connor passed away at her home February 22, 1938 at the age of 50. According to her obituary, Margaret O’Connor was the first woman resident of Capreol.

Cochran, Charles S., 1854-1933

  • 1023F2294
  • Persoon
  • 1854-1933

Charles S. Cochran (1854-1933) opened a photography studio in Hamilton in June 1886, and by the mid-1890's he had one of the best in the area. Commissioned around 1899 by W.H. Carre of Montreal, Cochran took some of the best photographs of this city from that period. Late in 1902, he sold his studio to A.M. Cunningham and moved to the United States. He eventually settled in California, where he resided until his death.

Newhouse, David

  • 11-007
  • Persoon
  • fl. 1960-

David Newhouse is Onondoga from the Six Nations of the Grand River community near Brantford, Ontario. He is Chair of Indigenous Studies at Trent University and Associate Professor, Indigenous Studies & Business Administration. Newhouse was founding editor of the CANDO Journal of Aboriginal Economic Development; past Chair and a current member of the Council for the Advancement of Native Development Officers (CANDO) Standing Committee on Education; a member of the Policy Team on Economics for the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples; a member of the Independent Panel on Access Criteria for the Atlantic Fisheries for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans; a member of the National Aboriginal Benchmarking Committee of the National Aboriginal Economic Development Board; and, the Science Officer for the Aboriginal Peoples Health research committee for the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. (Information taken from Trent University Web site, 08 September 2011).

Orgill (family)

  • 11-008
  • Familie
  • ca. 1888-1910

The Orgill family is a branch of the Boyd family of Bobcaygeon, Ontario. Mrs. Norma Orgill, the donor of the collection, is the wife of Herbert Orgill, a descendant of William (Willie) Thornton Cust Boyd (1859-1919). Willie was the son of the lumbering entrepreneur Mossom Boyd (1815-1883).

Resultaten 41 tot 60 van 17886