Showing 648 results

People and organizations
Person · 1879-1979

David Harry Palmer (1879-1979) was a photographer in Dundalk, Ontario.

Palmer opened up his first photographic studio at the age of 15. After this was lost to fire in the early 1900s, he took a year off to practice photography in British Columbia before returning to Dundalk to reopen his studio, which remained open until after World War II.

Palmer was a father to two sets of twins; one son, John Palmer, followed in his father's footsteps and ran a photographic studio in Toronto for 19 years prior to being recruited by Kodak Canada to help popularize colour film.

Person · 1932-1998

Donald Lloyd McKinley (1932-1998) was a furniture maker, educator and designer who established the School of Crafts and Design at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario and directed it from 1967 to 1995.

Born in Barlesville, Oklahoma in 1932, Donald Lloyd McKinley was educated at Wichita State University, Kansas and the New York State College of Ceramics (NYSCC) at Alfred University. From 1956 to 1957, Donald McKinley served as a Private in the United States Army stationed in Fort Miles, Delaware. He worked as Chief Staff Designer at the W.H. Gunlocke Chair Company in Wayland, New York (1958-1962) before studying at the Ateneum Art Museum in Helsinki, Finland as a Fulbright Scholar and earning a Master of Industrial Design from Syracuse University, New York in 1965.

He began teaching at NYSCC in 1964 before moving to Oakville, Ontario to establish and direct the School of Crafts and Design at Sheridan College in 1967, a post he retired from in 1995.

McKinley won numerous awards in Canada and the United States for his furniture designs, published and exhibited extensively and spent a year in Tasmania as a design consultant (1976-1977) after which he returned to Canada to resume teaching. McKinley was married to Reena Ruth Gowdy McKinley, an established Canadian ceramicist.

Austin, Rod, 1927-2002
Person · 1927-2002

Donald Rodwell Austin (1927-2002) was the author of Carved in Granite: 125 Years of Granite Club History.

Donald Rodwell Austin (1927-2002) was a member of the Granite Club from 1968, where he served as Curling Convenor (1982-83). He began researching the club's history and he and co-author Ted Barris published Carved in Granite: 125 Years of Granite Club History in 1999. Austin was a member of the Friends of the Archives of Ontario and served as treasurer.

Stephen, William
Person · fl. 1996-1997

William Stephen has been connected with Rondeau Provincial Park, Ontario, since 1948. Interested in recording history about the Park, he collected and photographed several aspects relating to the life and times of residents, in preparation for publishing a book on this area of Ontario.

The first book, published in 1996, Rondeau Forever: Our Home, Our Heritage, Our Memories, is an overview of the history of the Park. The majority of the photographs William Stephen took pertain to cottage interiors and exteriors. Other chapters include photographs of boating and picnic activites, public buildings in the Park, historical maps and aerial photographs, and notable residents.

The second book, Rondeau Forever: the Adventure Continues, released in 1997, includes photographs of buildings, people and cottages not used in the first publication, with additional sections added on flora and fauna. Also included are lists of residents of Rondeau Provincial Park in the 1940s and 1950s.

Bryce, J. Fraser, 1852-1920
Person · 1852-1920

J. Fraser Bryce (1852-1920) was a Toronto photographer active between 1877 and 1909. He owned and managed two studios: Bryce Studios Co. and The Carbon Studio and was known for his carbon prints of high-society clientele.

John Fraser Bryce was born in 1852 in Dundas Ontario to Scottish parents, William and Christiana (Fraser) Bryce. At age 25, he became assistant to Toronto photographer Thomas Hunter, rising to "leading operator". After a short stay in Toronto, Bryce moved to the United States where he worked for photographers C.C. Randall in Detroit and J.F. Ryder in Cleveland, Ohio.

Bryce returned to Toronto in 1884 where he purchased Thomas Hunter's studio and photographic supplies business. In 1895 Bryce once again left for the United States where he travelled and worked with various photographers, learning and perfecting the carbon printing process. When he returned to Toronto in 1897 he established the The Carbon Studio at 79 King Street West and gained recognition for his carbon portraits of prominent people. His success eventually earned him the patronage of the Prince of Wales.

From 1906 onwards, Bryce's standing as a photographer started to wane and by 1910, his name no longer appeared in muncipal and business directories of photographers working in Ontario. He returned to Dundas in 1912 where he spent the last 8 years of his life insitutionalized, succumbing to paralysis during his final years. He died March 18, 1920.

Hicks, Andrew, b. 1874
Person · b. 1874

Andrew Hicks (b. 1874) was a farmer in Stephen Township, Huron County, Ontario who served in the Ontario Legislative Assembly as the member for the riding of Huron South from 1919 to 1923, representing the United Farmers of Ontario party.

Andrew Hicks, son of Richard Hicks and Rebecca Elston, was born in Centralia, Ontario on 4 August 1874. He married Ethel Maud Hicks in Centralia on 20 October 1898. He was a grain merchant in Stephen Township, Huron County, farming on Concession 1, Lots 2 and 3.

Hicks sat in the Ontario Legislative Assembly between 1919 and 1923 as the member for South Huron. A member of the United Farmers of Ontario, he served as Party Whip during his term.

Hike Ontario
Corporate body · 1974-

Hike Ontario is the umbrella organization that represents and serves the needs of hiking groups and associations in Ontario. It was formed in 1974 as the Federation of Ontario Hiking Trails Association, but now operates under the name Hike Ontario.

Hike Ontario was founded by Henry Graupner, who held various committee chairs and positions within the Hike Ontario executive from its founding in 1974 until his retirement in 2001.

The purpose of Hike Ontario is to promote hiking and walking in Ontario. It does this by providing activities, education and political representation to hikers and hiking groups. It represents 24 hiking clubs across the province and acts as a representative body for its members concerning hiking issues and policies. Hike Ontario advocates for government support for hiking, and provides province-wide information and services to groups and individual hikers. It produces quarterly publications, hike leader certification training, conferences, an annual Hike Ontario event, and other studies and projects requested by its members.

Hike Ontario has no authority over its member groups, but acts as an advocate for hiking across the province, both to individuals and the provincial government.

Hike Ontario is governed by a board of directors that meets quarterly, an executive committee, and various standing committees. The board of directors is primarily made up of representatives from member groups, and the executive is elected on a yearly basis at the annual general meeting. Much of the work of Hike Ontario is accomplished in committees.

Person · 1894-1988

Vida Smythe lived on a farm in Kingston Township, Ontario, attended high school in Kingston, and after her marriage resided in Ottawa.

Vida Smythe was the daughter of William John Smythe (1863-1940) and Amelia Isadora Powley (1868-1921). Vida and her parents lived on land in Kingston Township given to them by Vida's grandfather, James Powley.

Vida married George Norman Bunker (1892-1955) of Mara Township in 1918 in Kingston, Ontario. Vida Smythe Bunker died in 1988 and is buried in Cataraqui, Ontario.

Person · 1835-1922

Eliza Jane Powley, together with her husband James, operated a farm and raised a family, near Cataraqui in Kingston Township, Ontario.

Eliza Jane Powley was born in 1835 in Kingston Township, Ontario, the daughter of Robert Rose and Diana Holmes. Eliza Jane married James William Powley (1831-1906) in 1855 in Kingston. Both the Rose and the Powley families are descendents of United Empire Loyalists.

Eliza Jane and James Powley settled on the large Powley family farm "Sunnyside" near Kingston growing wheat and hay and raising cattle, sheep, and poultry. Three of the couple's children survived to adulthood: Amelia Isadora Powley (1868-1921), Catherine Anna Powley (1859-1935), and Jacob Robert Dexter Powley (1864-1897).

The Powley family were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Cataraqui.

Corporate body · 1850-

The Pickering Agricultural Society was founded on March 4, 1850 in Pickering, Ontario "to promote agriculture, horticulture, household arts and the importation of farming stock." The society sponsored spring and fall agricultural exhibitions and related competitions.

Katz, Morton, 1934-
Person · 1934-

Morton Katz is an architect and sculptor based in Toronto.

Between 1962 and 1965, Katz worked for the architectural firms of John B. Parkin and Associates (Toronto), Fry Drew Partners (London, England) and Webb, Zefera, Menkes (Toronto). In 1963, he also traveled through Europe and North Africa studying housing types.

In 1965, Katz established his own practice in Toronto, named Morton Katz, Architect. His first project was a low-income housing complex based on Scandinavian design principles. Since then, his work has included residential, commercial and public buildings, most of which have reflected his European influence and his interest in the environment and the arts. One of his more prominent projects was a series of three information centres for the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton transit system which were inspired by the kiosks found in British train stations.

While most of Katz' architectural work has been in Ontario, he has also completed projects in Nova Scotia and Aruba.

From 1966 to 1977, Katz taught at the Department of Architecture, University of Toronto, where his fields of teaching and research included urban development and environmental design.

Since 1993, Katz has devoted most of his time to his career as a sculptor; his work in this field has included exhibits in Ontario and overseas, teaching, and directing the Canadian Sculpture Centre in Toronto. His artistic work also includes painting, re-imaging and Web design.

Katz is a member of the Ontario Society of Architects, the Toronto Society of Architects, the Royal Architecture Institute of Canada and the Sculptor's Society of Canada (President, 1997-1998).

Corporate body · 1934-1966

The Ontario Concentrated Milk Producers' Marketing Board was responsible for marketing, conducting business, public relations, promotion, research, and negotiating prices for concentrated milk producers.

The future Ontario Concentrated Milk Producers' Marketing Board began when concentrated milk producers were represented on the Board of the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association from 1917 to 1932. From 1933 to 1934, these producers were supported by the Ontario Whole Milk Producers' Association. In 1934, the Ontario Manufactured Milk Producers' Association was created to establish minimum milk prices. In 1937, their name was changed to the Ontario Concentrated Producers' Association. The Association became incorporated under the Agricultural Associations Act in 1944. As a result of the Farm Products Marketing Act, the Association's name changed in 1954 to the Ontario Concentrated Milk Producers' Marketing Board.

The Ontario Concentrated Milk Producers' Marketing Board surrendered its charter in 1966 with its assets and liabilities being transferred to the Ontario Milk Marketing Board.

Corporate body · 1932-1965

The Ontario Whole Milk Producers' League was responsible for marketing, conducting business, public relations, promotion, research, and negotiating prices for fluid milk producers.

The future Ontario Whole Milk Producers' League began in 1917 as the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association, which was created for communication, advisement, information, protection, milk pricing, traffic rate, and publicity purposes. At first it was concerned chiefly with fluid milk and cream shippers, but the expansion of the condensed and milk powder industry and the importance of cheese export made it necessary to include these branches of the industry in its Association. The organization started the Ontario Milk Producer magazine in 1925 to supply dairy information to producers. However, dissatisfied fluid milk shippers and the lack of Association finances eventually led to the demise of the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association in 1932.

In 1932, the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association was replaced by the Ontario Whole Milk Producers' Association, which had the goal of building a strong, well-financed, and influential organization. The Association financed the organizing of the concentrated milk producers from 1933 to 1934. In 1935, the name of the Association changed to the Ontario Whole Milk Producers' League. The organization started out as an affiliation of local associations and did not have individual memberships. The title was changed to "League" because it was believed to more accurately describe the nature of the organization as well as hinting at its crusading spirit.

In 1957, the League successfully had formula pricing written into the Ontario Milk Industry Act, which brought the entire milk industry under one controlling body. However, over the following years the changes in the formula, confusion concerning transportation, quotas and market affiliations led to market frustration.

Roy F. Lick of Oshawa was a significant representative of the Ontario dairy industry. He served as a Board member of the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association, President of the Ontario Whole Milk Producers' League from 1937 to 1939, Secretary-Manager until 1960, as well as a director of Dairy Farmers of Canada from 1942 until his death in 1960.

In 1965, the Ontario Whole Milk Producers' League surrendered its charter to the Ontario Milk Marketing Board.

Corporate body · 1906?-1969

Toronto Milk Producers' Association was responsible for obtaining better prices from milk dealers and was concerned with quality products, surplus milk, and basis of payment issues.

Although 1906 seems to be the earliest date for the Toronto Milk Producers' Association records, the Association may have existed earlier as a collective bargaining association. One of the first official acts of the Toronto Milk Producers' Association was to encourage Ottawa to amend the Weights and Measures Act in favour of a Standard Milk Can. In 1907, the Association threatened to withhold milk to obtain higher prices.

The Toronto Milk Producers' Association combined with the area cream producers in 1907, and the name of the association became the Toronto Milk and Cream Producers' Association. The Toronto market consisted of producers from west of Woodstock to east of Peterborough and in the Belleville district. Around 1925 the name of the organization returned to the Toronto Milk Producers' Association.

In 1931, the Toronto Milk Producers' Association broke away from the Ontario Milk and Cream Producers' Association because the Ontario association refused to allow the Toronto Association to make its own collections.

The Toronto Milk Producers' Association worked closely in the 1934 period with the Ontario Government to secure the Milk Control legislation. While stabilizing their own market, the Toronto Association helped dairy associations across Canada maintain their prices.

In 1962, the Toronto Milk Producers' Association started a campaign for advertising fluid milk in the Toronto market by using the mobile milking parlour or "milk mobile".

By 1965, the marketing functions performed by the Association were taken over by the Ontario Milk Marketing Board, and by 1969, the Toronto Milk Producers' Association surrendered its charter.

Corporate body · 1933-1978

The Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board was responsible for marketing, conducting business, public relations, promotion, research, and negotiating prices for cheese producers.

In 1933, the future Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board was formed as the Ontario Cheese Factory Patrons' Association, and in 1934 an office was opened in Belleville to serve the Association. In 1934, the Dominion Natural Products Marketing Act was passed, and in 1935 the Ontario Cheese Patrons' Marketing Board was formed. In 1937, the marketing board was renamed the Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board. The name change occurred because the British cheese trade misunderstood the term "patron".

During and immediately after the Second World War, the Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board actively encouraged their producers to increase production, facilitated by an Ontario subsidy under The Cheese and Hog Subsidy Act, 1941. After the war, the Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board asked for legislation that would lead to the establishing of a marketing agency to sell Ontario cheese, eventually leading to the creation of the Ontario Cheese Producers' Association.

In 1947, as a result of the Farm Products Marketing Act, the Ontario Cheese Producers' Association Limited was set up as an agency to handle all sales of Ontario cheddar cheese, to collect payment from buyers, and to collect license fees. In 1951, the Association was made the agency to market all cheese sold outside the province. In 1955, as a result of problems with the Association maintaining a constant cheese supply to Britain, regulation amendments were made.

Under the Cold Storage Acts of the Canadian and Ontario governments and funded by cheese marketing boards, cheese curing storage warehouses were built in Ontario. Specifically, one was built in Belleville in 1950-1951, followed by Winchester in 1955, and ones in Oxford Station and Plantagenet during 1963. The Dutch electric clock system for auctioning cheese first operated in Kingston during 1956 and was moved to Belleville in 1960. The Stratford exchange operated the traditional method of auction sales beginning in 1956.

In 1956, the Ontario Cheese Producers' Association Limited was renamed the Ontario Cheese Producers' Co-operative Limited and was made the marketing agency of the Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board under the Farm Products Marketing Act.

In 1961, the Marketing Board joined the Cheese Bureau of Great Britain to maintain their position in the British Market.

In 1966, to avoid conflicts of interest between the cheese producers and the Ontario Milk Marketing Board, Ontario Cheese Producers' Marketing Board merged with the Ontario Milk Marketing Board. The Ontario Cheese Producers' Co-operative established an agreement with the Ontario Milk Marketing Board in 1970. The Co-operative continued to exist until 1978 when it was dissolved because it had not filed financial statements.

Person · 1896-1987

William H. Hammond (1896-1987) was a member and president of the Toronto Camera Club.

William Saint Helier Hammond was born in 1896 in Ireland. He immigrated to Canada in 1920, and soon after became an active member in the Toronto Camera Club (TCC). He was a member of the Club for many years, and was the president for a time during the 1940s.

William Hammond married Frances Ethel Wainwright (1901-1984) in 1930. They had two sons: Ronald James (deceased) and Francis St. Helier. William Hammond worked as a photography studio manager for Simpson's catalogue.

Hammond died in 1987.

Corporate body · 1903-

The Ontario Family Studies / Home Economic Educators Association (OFSHEEA) is an organization for Ontario home economics teachers and contributors, which facilitates the professional development and personal growth of educators to promote quality Family Studies programs in Ontario.

The Ontario Family Studies / Home Economic Educators Association (OFSHEEA) started its life in 1903 as the Household Science Section of the Ontario Educators Association (OEA). The well-known education reformer and champion of women's causes, Adelaide Hoodless (1857-1910), chaired the section's first meeting and became its first president. The section's name was changed in 1938 to the Home Economics Section of the OEA.

OFSHEEA was first incorporated under the name The Family Studies - Home Economics Teachers' Association of Ontario on December 17, 1977, under the provisions of the Corporations Act of the Province of Ontario. The association was renamed the Ontario Family Studies - Home Economics Educators' Association by Supplementary Letters Patent dated April 2, 1982.

OFSHEEA facilitates the professional development and personal growth of educators to promote quality Family Studies programs in Ontario, with the ultimate goal of strengthening the family. Members include teachers from various levels of education: primary, secondary and post-secondary.

OFSHEEA has played an active role in the development of family studies curricula and has provided advice to the Ministry of Education in this regard. OFSHEEA has also been involved in the international development of family studies, involving partnership with educators in such places as Swaziland.

Members benefit from the collaboration of those with like professional interests, conferences and workshops as well as teaching resources, discussion forums and newsletters.

MacCallum, Peter, 1947-
Person · 1947-

Peter MacCallum is a self-taught, freelance professional photographer based in Toronto who specializes in documentary studies of industrial sites.

Peter MacCallum was born on June 27, 1947. For the first 10 years of his career, he learned his craft by documenting art installations in galleries and museums. The last 20 years have been spent undertaking self-generated projects as well as carrying out commissions for governments and industry.

For example, he was commissioned by the City of Toronto Works and Emergency Services Department to document the dismantling of the eastern portion of the Gardiner Expressway in 1998.

An example of a self-generated project is "Concrete Industries", which is a project in process, begun in 1998. It documents the production and structural use of concrete including images of cement factories, concrete structures being built or demolished, and concrete ruins.

Peter MacCallum has had solo and group exhibitions at a number of Toronto-area galleries including the Power Plant, Peak Gallery, and City of Toronto Archives, as well as galleries in other areas including Arch 2 Gallery at the University of Manitoba and Artspace in Peterborough, Ontario.

Additionally, Peter MacCallum's photographs have been published in numerous books and magazines, such as Canadian Art, C Magazine, Parachute, and Canadian Architect. MacCallum also published a monograph of his work in 2004, entitled Material World.

Shulman, Morton, 1925-2000
Person · 1925-2000

Morton Philip Shulman (1925-2000) was a controversial public figure appointed as Chief Coroner for the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto in 1963 and MPP for the New Democratic Party representing Toronto's High Park riding from 1967 to 1975.

Morton Shulman was born in Toronto April 2, 1925, son of David Shulman and Netty Wintrope. He was educated at North Toronto Collegiate and received an MD from the University of Toronto in 1948. In May 1950, Shulman married Gloria Bossin, daughter of Isadore and Lena Bossin. They had two children, Dianne and Jeffrey.

Shulman began his career by practising medicine and was first appointed to the Coroner's Office in 1952. He became Chief Coroner for the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto in 1963. Shulman was elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1967 as the NDP MPP for Toronto's High Park riding and was re-elected in 1971. Publicly he called himself a "socialist millionaire" and authored several books on investment strategies, including Anyone Can Make a Million (1966), The Billion Dollar Windfall (1972), and How to Invest and Profit from Inflation (1979). He also wrote The Coroner (1971) and Member of the Legislature (1973). Shulman also wrote a column for the Toronto Sun and hosted a television show call The Shulman Files (1976-1983) on City-TV.

During the 1960s, Shulman's use of the Office of Chief Coroner to lead crusades against the establishment led to his being removed from the position in 1967. A Royal Commission, led by Mr. Justice William Parker, was struck in 1967 to investigate Shulman's allegations that officials in the Attorney-General's Department had suppressed evidence, funds were being wasted, and discrimination influenced appointments of coroners. In 1970, another commission under Mr. Justice Campbell Grant was struck to investigate Shulman's allegations of improper relationships between some employees of the OPP and particular individuals associated with underground criminal activities. Shulman's career as the outspoken Chief Coroner for Metropolitan Toronto was the inspiration for the CBC dramatic television series Wojeck.

After being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the early 1980s, Shulman was successful in establishing a business and charitable trust to develop treatment drugs for Parkinson's Disease. In recognition of his multi-faceted career and public life of advocacy and generosity, Morton Shulman received the Order of Canada in 1993. He died in Toronto on August 17, 2000.

Person · b. 1896

William C.H. "Dick" Dowson (b. 1896) was a bricklayer from Toronto who moved to Matheson, Ontario before 1914 to work in the lumber industry.

William Clifton Herbert Dowson, son of Thomas William Dowson and his wife Mary Chipcase, was born on 18 December 1896. His father was a stonecutter and later bricklayer and contractor in Toronto, Ontario, and by the age of fourteen William was also working as a bricklayer there. William then left Toronto to take up residence in Matheson, Ontario from 1914-1927, working in the lumbering industry in neighbouring regions of Northern Ontario.

Dowson published a number of volumes of folk history in the 1970s.