Showing 151 results

People and organizations
ACFAS-Sudbury
http://viaf.org/viaf/141840672 · Corporate body · 1991-

L'Association francophone pour le savoir-Sudbury suit le mandat de l'Acfas nationale (antérieurement nommé Association canadienne-française pour l'avancement des sciences) qui est "de transmettre la connaissance scientifique produite par les francophones, et d'en faire valoir l'importance dans le développement culturel et socio-économique." Maurice Aumond, professeur à l'École des sciences de l'éducation de l'Université Laurentienne, fonda la section régionale de l'Acfas en 1991. Situé sur le campus de l'Université Laurentienne, l'association joue un rôle important au sein de la population étudiante francophone. Mentionnons la remise des bourses et les journées organisées pour présenter leurs recherches. L'Acfas-Sudbury organise différentes activités telles que : la Journée des Sciences et Savoirs, la publication des Actes du Colloque et des journées thématiques pour lesquelles des conférenciers invités y participent. Le premier exécutif était composé de François Trudeau (président), Donald Dennie (vice-président) et Louise Bergeron (vice-présidente).

Corporate body · 1872-

Founded in 1872, the Anglican Diocese of Moosonee encompasses the James Bay, south of Hudson Bay, and surrounding areas in Northern Ontario and north-western Quebec. James Bay area communities were considered part of the Diocese of Rupert’s Land, founded in 1849, until 1872. The Diocese of Moosonee was overseen as part of the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land from 1875 until 1912 when it became part of the newly created Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario.

On Moose Factory Island and surrounding areas now considered part of the Diocese of Moosonee, early missionary services were carried out by the English Wesleyan Society under Reverend George Barnley from the year 1840 until the arrival of the Anglican missionary John Horden in 1851. Horden was sent to the Moose Factory HBC post by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) in order to minister to both the Indigenous community there and the European residents alike. He arrived with his wife Elizabeth from Exeter, England, and was ordained deacon and priest by the Bishop of Rupert's Land in 1852, due in large part to his success within the Moose Factory community. Horden established a day school early on and a small mission school in 1855 while translating religious works into Cree. Horden was ordained at Westminster Abbey as the first Bishop of the newly established Diocese of Moosonee in 1872. This meant that the size of the Diocese of Rupert's Land shrank in 1872 with the creation of the Diocese of Moosonee and then shrank further in 1873 with the creation of the Diocese of Athabasca. Under Bishop Jervois Newnham, the second Bishop of the Diocese of Moosonee, hospital services were brought to Moose Factory, and the Bishop’s wife was influential in enticing the first nurse to become a permanent resident on the island. Under the third Bishop, George Holmes, the Episcopal Residence was moved from St. Thomas, Moose Factory, to St. John’s, Chapleau in 1905, due in large part to the fact that the community was reachable by railroad. Expanding railroad service was a product of the rising industrial viability of many communities within the region, and this provided the Bishop and those visiting Chapleau access to the community year-round. The fourth Bishop, John G. Anderson, presided from 1909 until 1943 and oversaw the first Synod, which took place on May 14 and 15, 1919. This period saw an expanded effort to establish what were then called “white missions,” missions that catered primarily to European immigrant populations in the more southern parts of the Diocese. At this time, parishes that catered to Indigenous populations were considered to be thriving. As Moosonee was a Missionary Diocese, financial solvency was always a central administrative issue, and in 1920 the CMS transferred the last of its financial obligations to the Missionary Society of the Church in Canada (MSCC). During the inter-war years, a proactive approach to Anglican ministry was propelled by the Anglican Forward Movement, and the Diocese of Moosonee was partly funded by these efforts. Under Bishop Anderson the See-House, the Bishop’s primary residence, was moved again, this time from Chapleau to Cochrane. In 1928, the Diocese was also divided into three Rural Deaneries: the southern deanery of Chapleau, the central deanery of Cochrane, and the northern deanery of Moosonee. With the establishment of the Diocese of the Arctic in 1933 under Bishop Archibald Fleming, the northern-most boundary of the Diocese of Moosonee was reduced to cover only the south and west-coast of the James Bay. The Diocese of the Arctic contained ministries that catered almost exclusively to Inuit communities.

Between the 1920s and 1940s, a mining industry boom in northern Ontario and Quebec resulted in an influx of residents to newly established communities. Many Anglican parishes sprouted up to cater to these new residents within the Diocese of Moosonee, notably in Noranda and Bourlamaque. The community of Moosonee, located on the mainland across the Moose River from Moose Factory Island, was reachable by railway in 1932, and the community became the predominant distribution center for the southern James Bay. The fifth Bishop of the Diocese, Robert Renison, took over in 1943, and a sub-section of the Diocese’s northern communities were placed under the oversight of Reverend Neville Clarke in 1951. As Suffragan Bishop of James Bay, Clarke was in charge of all Indigenous ministries in the James Bay Area, which was equivalent to the northern deanery of the Diocese of Moosonee. Under Bishop Renison, Schumacher, a neighboring mission to Timmins, became an independent parish, and the Bishop's residence, formally named Bishopstope, was founded at Schumacher in 1946. The move placed the Bishop in a more centralized location; this helped him to reach the various, geographically disparate parishes across the Diocese including the now growing southern industrial communities. On November 30, 1947, the newly constructed St. Matthew’s church in Timmins was consecrated as the Diocesan Pro-Cathedral. It has remained there since.

Under the oversight of the MSCC and the Residential School Commission, the Diocese managed three Indian Residential Schools within its boundaries: the Bishop Horden Memorial School in Moose Factory, St. John’s School in Chapleau, and St. Philip’s in Fort George. The Moose Factory School took students in as early as 1905, after the formal signing of Treaty No. 9. Throughout its history, the Diocese has consisted primarily of Indigenous parishioners, and the population of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis residents that make up communities found within the Diocese reaches to upwards of 85%. By the 1960s, with educational changes in both Ontario and Quebec, as well as changes in the status of Indigenous peoples throughout Canada, the Diocese evolved to try and better accommodate its parishioners. Continued emphasis on industrial development in the north during the last half of the 20th Century has had a sustained impact on the Diocese’s ministerial perspective across the diverse communities of northern Ontario and Quebec. In 2014, the Diocese became a Mission of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario overseen by Archbishop Colin Johnson, Metropolitan of Ontario.

Over the course of the administrative history of the Diocese of Moosonee, its territorial boundaries have changed often. When the Diocese was established in 1872, it encompassed much of northern Ontario and included almost 300 square miles of territory. Originally surrounding the shores of the entire Hudson Bay, the Diocese had no clearly defined northern boundary, although it has never reached further south than the Town of Chapleau, Ontario. In the early years of the 20th Century, missionaries travelled as far north as Pond Inlet and Ellesmere Island. When the Diocese of Moosonee was carved out of the Diocese of Rupert’s Land’s territory, Moosonee held parts of modern Manitoba and Nunavut within its boundaries to the west and parts of northern Quebec to the east. In 1883, the boundaries were changed in order to reflect the newly created map of Canada. With the formation of the Diocese of Keewatin in 1902, Moosonee’s western boundary receded eastward by almost half, yet continued to include all of the area surrounding the James Bay. In 1933, the north-eastern-most portion of the Diocese of Moosonee, including the community of Fort George on the east coast of the James Bay, became a part of the newly founded Diocese of the Arctic. While Fort George remained geographically within the boundaries of the Diocese of the Arctic, episcopal oversight and administrative responsibilities were officially returned to the Diocese of Moosonee in 1959. In 1947, the Diocese of Moosonee absorbed a portion of the Diocese of Montreal’s western border including the county of Temiskaming and the Abitibi region. In that same year, the bordering Dioceses of Algoma and Moosonee shifted territorial boundaries: the parish of Chapleau became part of the Diocese of Algoma; and Kirkland Lake, Swastika, and the district of Virginiatown became part of the Diocese of Moosonee. Chapleau would remain a part of the Diocese of Algoma until 1992, when territorial boundaries shifted once again, and the community was reabsorbed by the Diocese of Moosonee. The modern boundary of the Diocese stretches to the town of Chapleau, Ontario, to the south, Collins to the west, and Kashechewan to the northern-west, covering all of the southern James Bay and reaching as far north-east as Chisasibi,. Furthermore, the Diocese of Moosonee’s boundary stretches to Mistissini in the east and Val D’Or in the south-east of Quebec.

The Bishops of the Diocese of Moosonee:

  • John Horden, Bishop of Moosonee (First) 1872-1893
  • Jervois Arthur Newnham , Bishop of Moosonee (Second) 1893-1903
  • Joseph Lofthouse, Bishop in Charge (Bishop of Keewatin) 1903-1905
  • George Holmes, Bishop of Moosonee (Third) 1905-1909
  • John George Anderson, Bishop of Moosonee (Fourth) 1909-1940, Archbishop of Moosonee and Metropolitan of Ontario 1940-1943
  • Robert John Renison, Bishop of Moosonee (Fifth) 1943-1948, Archbishop of Moosonee and Acting Metropolitan of Ontario 1948-1949, Bishop of Moosonee 1949-1952, Archbishop of Moosonee and Metropolitan of Ontario 1952-1954
  • Cuthbert Cooper Robinson, Bishop of Moosonee (Sixth) 1955-1963
  • Neville Richard Clarke, Suffragan Bishop 1951-1975
  • James Augustus Watton, Bishop of Moosonee (Seventh) 1963-1974, Archbishop of Moosonee and Metropolitan of Ontario 1974-1979, Bishop of Moosonee 1979-1980
  • Caleb James Lawrence, Coadjutor 1980, Bishop of Moosonee (Eighth) 1980-2004, Archbishop of Moosonee and Metropolitan of Ontario, 2004–2009, Bishop of Moosonee 2009-2010
  • Tom Corston, Bishop of Moosonee (Ninth) 2010-2014. Assisting Bishop of Moosonee 2014-2019.
  • The Most Rev. Colin R. Johnson (Tenth), 2014 – 2018
  • The Most Rev. Anne Germond (eleventh) 2018 –
Corporate body · 1974-

L'affirmation du fait français à l'université Laurentienne est directement liée au développement de l'Association des étudiantes et étudiants francophones (AEF). En 1974, afin de regrouper leurs énergies, les étudiants francophones de l'université Laurentienne, sous les auspices de la Maison des francophones, affirment leur volonté de créer une association indépendante, entièrement francophone.

Géré par un Grand Conseil de neuf membres, le regroupement C.U.L.O.N. ( «Canayens» de l'Université Laurentienne Ontario Nord) se propose alors de promouvoir et de défendre les intérêts des francophones. De plus, par sa présence, l'Association désire réaffirmer et renforcer l'élément français à l'intérieur de l'université bilingue. C'est en 1974 que l'appellation officielle de Association des Étudiants Francophones est adoptée. Elle s'est développée et modelée en accord avec les différents changements sociaux et culturels de la communauté en s'adaptant afin d'assurer la représentativité du vaste éventail d'intérêts de ses membres. Toutefois, son mandat de desservir les francophones au sein de l'université, d'animer des activités culturelles, d'appuyer les étudiants et de représenter et défendre leurs points de vue auprès des différentes instances décisionnelles de l'université en particulier, demeure toujours.

Atkinson, Robert S.
Person · 1946-

Robert S. (Bob) Atkinson (1946- ), born in North Bay, moved with his family to Sudbury when he was five. He resided in that community until 1968 when he left for Waterloo University. In 1969 he moved to Scarborough to start work, and he still resides there.

Atkinson has always been interested in history and amongst his hobbies he not only published booklets of historic postcards on North Bay and Sudbury, but also became an active member of the Toronto Postcards Club, holding the position of President for a time.

Robert Atkinson is still very active in publishing of historic postcards.

Avery, Benjamin Franklin
Person · 1890-1965

Benjamin (Ben) Franklin Avery (1890-1965), third son and fifth child of William and Jane Avery (née Baldwin) was born October 21, 1890 at Aurora, New York. Avery graduated from Yale University in 1914 and obtained his Master in Forestry in 1916. Very active in sports, he played football and was the wrestling team captain. During WWI he served as Lieutenant with the U.S. Armed Forces (1917-1918), then returned to Canada. In 1921 he married Mary Adelaide Stone (1897-1991) in Sault Ste. Marie, daughter of Frederick and Grace Laura Maude (née Taylor) Stone of Chatham, Ontario. Ben and Mary Avery had 4 children: Daniel Dudley (1923-1965), Deborah (1925-2018), Frederick Stone (1927-2014) and Mary. In 1925, Benjamin Avery became a Canadian citizen. Involved in forestry, he first came to Canada in 1915 for a summer job in Sault Ste. Marie for the Spanish River Pulp and Paper Company and returned after his graduation to work full time. He worked for the company from 1919-1937. The company merged with Abitibi Power Paper in 1928. He later became assistant general manager of woodlands in 1934. In 1937 he accepted the post as woodlands manager for Great Lakes Paper Company, at Fort Williams. In 1946, until his retirement in 1959, Avery worked for KVP at Espanola, where he was elected a director of the company in 1946 and general manager and Vice President. Later, in 1951, Avery was elected President of KVP Company Ltd and General Manager of the Espanola plant. Avery originated the tree farms idea and was one of the first to express the need for proper cutting and reforestation methods. He has been a senior executive of many Canadian forestry and related trade and professional organizations. To name a few: in 1957 he was elected Chairman of the Executive Board of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association; he occupied the position of President of the Canadian Forestry Association (1959-1962); President of the Canadian Society of Forest Engineers; Chairman of the woodlands section of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association; Vice president of the Ontario Forest Industry. After his retirement he became a member of the Laurentian University Board of Governors (1960-1965) and was the Chairman of the Founders’ Fund. In 1964 the institution awarded him an Honourary Doctorate (Doctor of Law). As a member of the Espanola community he was also involved in many groups and associations. In 1972 Laurentian University named the Physical Education Centre building in his honour: the Benjamin F. Avery Physical Education Centre.

Person

William Beaton (Bill) (1896-1956) was Mayor of Sudbury, Ontario for eleven consecutive years from 1941-1952. Before moving to Sudbury, Beaton had worked for the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (TN&O) and the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in North Bay, Ontario. In 1921 he was transferred to Sudbury as Assistant Chief Clerk. By 1927, he resigned from the railway and remained in Sudbury, where he was self-employed in the insurance business. Beaton, an influential figure in sports in Northeastern Ontario, was active in swimming and canoeing, and he coached or managed hockey and baseball teams. He won the senior tandem paddling race with G.G. McCubbin at the Canadian National Exhibition in 1926. They defeated olympic paddlers, and set a new record for the course. Beaton and his wife Isla won nine consecutive mixed tandem canoe races in Northern Ontario. They competed until 1936. The Beaton Classic, an annual sports marathon in the city, is named in his honour. Bill Beaton passed away on April 1, 1956

http://viaf.org/viaf/48660345 · Person · 1934-

Liliane Beauchamp (née Gauthier), militante de la promotion et défense des droits des franco-ontariens et francophones hors Québec, est impliquée dans de nombreux organismes des secteurs de l’éducation des soins hospitaliers, et de la défense de la langue française. Elle est aussi active au sein de groupes et associations à caractère communautaire dans la région de Sudbury. Fille d’Anna Clairoux et Léoda Gauthier, elle est née à Sudbury en mai 1934. En 1954, Liliane Gauthier marie Rhéal Beauchamp. Ils ont 4 enfants : Nicole, Jocelyne, Colette et Serge.

Après avoir obtenu son brevet d’enseignement de l’Université d’Ottawa en 1952, Liliane Beauchamp entreprend sa carrière d’enseignante. En effet, jusqu’en 1974, elle occupera plusieurs postes d’enseignante dans les écoles primaires et secondaires de Sudbury ainsi qu’au Collège Notre-Dame. Toutefois, pendant cette même période, Madame Beauchamp est aussi impliquée dans diverses associations et groupements, tant au niveau paroissial, régional que provincial et même national. Ainsi, elle est membre de l’AFEO et aussi membre d’un comité provincial de la FEO. Puis en 1970, elle a été élue vice-présidente de l’ACFO Provinciale, et présidente du comité d’animation socio-culturelle de l’ACFO Provinciale.

En 1974, Liliane Beauchamp est élue conseillère scolaire du Conseil des Écoles catholiques du district de Sudbury, poste qu’elle occupera jusqu’en 1988. Au cours des 14 ans qu’elle sera conseillère scolaire, Madame Beauchamp siègera sur de nombreux comités et exercera plusieurs fonctions à l’intérieur du Conseil scolaire. En effet, à sa première année en tant que conseillère scolaire du Conseil, elle est aussi Présidente du Comité consultatif, et membre de l’équipe du ministère de l’éducation, pour l’évaluation du Conseil scolaire de Kapuskasing. C’est aussi en cette même année (1974) que Madame Beauchamp est Présidente du groupe de travail national sur " La minorité de langue française hors-Québec".

En 1976, elle est élue Directrice à l’Association canadienne d’éducation de langue française, et Directrice de l’Association française des conseillers scolaires de l’Ontario (AFCSO). Mentionnons que Liliane Beauchamp a exercé plusieurs fonctions au sein de l’AFCSO : élue Vice-présidente en 1978, elle devient Présidente provinciale en 1979-1980, en même temps qu’elle est Présidente du conseil des Écoles catholiques du district de Sudbury. De 1980 à 1983, elle est membre de Comités provinciaux du ministère de l’Éducation, tout en étant Vice-présidente (1980-1984) élue de l’Association canadienne d’éducation de langue française (ACELF). L’année suivante elle en sera élue Présidente générale, et en 1986-1987, Secrétaire générale de cette dernière association. Une des membres fondatrices de l’Association franco-ontarienne des Conseils d’écoles catholiques (AFOCEC), Liliane Beauchamp en est la Secrétaire générale de 1988 à 1992.

Depuis les années 1978, Madame Beauchamp est aussi activement impliquée dans le milieu hospitalier, et ce à titre bénévole. En 1978, elle est secrétaire de l’Auxiliaire de l’Hôpital Laurentien, pour en 1983-1986 être présidente du comité des bourses, et 1994-1996 Vice-présidente du Conseil d’administration de l’auxiliaire de l’Hôpital Laurentien. C’est en 1996, qu’elle devient présidente des Auxiliaires/bénévoles de l’hôpital régional de Sudbury, poste qu’elle occupera jusqu’en 2001. Liliane Beauchamp a aussi été membre à deux reprises, du Conseil d’administration de l’Hôpital Laurentien entre 1994 et 2001.

Bien que les principales sphères d’activités dans lesquelles elle est active soient l’éducation et les milieux hospitaliers, Liliane Beauchamp a aussi été membre de conseils administratifs de Caisses Populaires de la région de Sudbury, membre du comité pour la reconstruction de l’église Sainte-Anne des Pins, et elle s’est aussi impliquée dans des projets d’animation pour la région ou encore la construction d’une maison de pension pour personnes âgées. De plus, elle a publié en 2000, une biographie de son père, Léoda Gauthier qui a été membre du parlement pour le Parti Libéral du Canada (1945-1958).

Les actions, interventions et réalisations de Liliane Beauchamp ont été au-delà de la région du nord ontarien, et se sont étendues à la communauté canadienne-française de l’Ontario et même du Canada. Ainsi de nombreuses associations, et institutions, ainsi que les gouvernements municipal, provincial et fédéral lui ont décerné des certificats et diplômes honorifiques en reconnaissance de son dévouement et afin de souligner l’ensemble de son œuvre. Pour ne mentionner que quelques-uns des prix décernés : Personnalité de l’année en 1984 (ACFO Sudbury), Chevalier de l’Ordre de la Pléiade en 2003 (Assemblée parlementaire de la francophonie), Membre à vie de l’Association des auxiliaires d’hôpitaux de l’Ontario (1997), et aussi de l’Association des établissements de santé du Canada (1998). Membre honoraire de l’ACELF (2003), et récipiendaire de la médaille commémorative du 125ème anniversaire du Canada (1993), Liliane Beauchamp a aussi reçu la décoration de la Compagnie des Cent-Associés francophones (1983).

Bien que déménagée avec son époux dans la région d’Ottawa depuis juillet 2005, Liliane Beauchamp demeure membre du conseil d’administration de l’École de médecine du Nord-Ontario (nommée en 2003), et Présidente de la Compagnie des Cent-Associés francophones (élue en 2002) pour laquelle elle a été Chancelière de 1992-2001.

Bennett, Harold
Person · 1890-1983

Harold Bennett (1890-1983) was the second President of Laurentian University from 1961-1963. Member of the Laurentian University Board of Governors from 1970-1972. In 1960, he received an Honorary Degree from Huntington University. He was Registrar at Victoria University.

Blakely, Marguerite
Person · 1927-2018

Marguerite Oressa Buell (1927-2018) was born August 4, 1927 in Massey, Ontario. She came to Sudbury in 1929 with her family, and in 1951 married Brock Blakely. Together they had 4 children. Marguerite Blakely died in Sudbury in 2018 at the age of 91.

Boudignon, Robert
Person · 1917-2001

Robert Fernand Boudignon (1917-2001) was born in Cheptainville, France. He moved to Toronto, Canada in 1923. Boudignon served with the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps from 1940-1946, and the Canadian Army Reserve from 1950-1968. He married in 1948 and moved to Sudbury the same year. Boudignon worked for INCO until his retirement in 1982. Due to his interest in history, he participated in compiling information for a book on the history of French River.

http://viaf.org/viaf/140679692 · Corporate body

The Brotherhood of Railway Carmen was a union that represented railway workers involved with the inspection, maintenance and repair of railway cars. The Sudbury branch, Lodge 187, was established as a Subordinate Lodge of the Brotherhood of Railway Carmen of the United States and Canada, under their charter of 1912. According to their Constitution, the purpose of the Brotherhood was to ensure the moral, material and industrial well-being of each member. In 1984, the Canadian Division gained autonomy from the United States Division, and by April of 1990 they merged with the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW). They still maintained a separate Rail Division within CAW. By 1992, Lodge 187 in Sudbury also represented the members of North Bay Lodge 192. At present, the Sudbury Lodge is affiliated with the CAW/TCA, and it represents members in North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury.

Corporate body

The University Women’s Club of Sudbury was admitted as a chapter of the Canadian Federation of University Women in 1948. The Club changed its name from University Women’s Club, Sudbury to Canadian Federation of University Women, Sudbury Branch on January 18th, 1988. Members of the Sudbury chapter consist of women who have earned university degrees. They share the common objectives of promoting higher education among female high school students, stimulating intellectual activity in university women, and encouraging their members to be active in public affairs. The club raises funds for their projects by sponsoring cultural activities in Sudbury.

The projects of the Sudbury branch include their post-secondary scholarship and bursary program for local female high school and graduate students. CFUW, Sudbury scholarships and bursaries are offered to Laurentian University and Cambrian College students, among others. Additional projects include donations to the Laurentian University Library, sponsoring career nights, and participating as a lobby group with other chapters in the areas of educational and law reform. Members may participate in a wide variety of interest groups depending on their field of interest. The Sudbury chapter currently has members who collaborate with other organizations such as LEAF and the YWCA to host community based social events.

http://viaf.org/viaf/147677310 · Corporate body · 1883-

The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association was founded in 1883 for the purpose of standardizing fire insurance rules. In 1918, the Canadian Fire Underwriter’s Association founded its own plan making department named the Underwriters’ Survey Bureau. In 1931, the Bureau purchased all of the assets of the Chas E. Goad Company, including copyright. The Charles E. Goad map making company was established in Montreal in 1874. From 1911 to 1918, the Goad Company had reached an agreement by which they were to create and revise plans for the Canadian Fire Underwriter’s Association exclusively.

Canadian mining journal
http://viaf.org/viaf/316892996 · Corporate body · 1879-

The Canadian Mining Journal is a bi-monthly publication with the self-professed aim to provide “Articles and information of practical use to those in the technical, administrative and supervisory aspects of exploration, mining and processing in the Canadian mineral exploration and mining industry.” The journal was founded in 1879 by a small group of individuals in Ottawa who published the fledging paper at irregular intervals. However, R.T.A. Bell took over the journal in 1883 and under the name Canadian Mining Review, consolidated it as the national journal of the mining industry. After the death of Bell in 1907, new ownership renamed the paper The Canadian Mining Journal, the name it has retained since that time.

Carlin, Robert H.
Person · 1901-1992

Robert Carlin (1901-1992) was a union member, organizer and activist who was born in Mulgrave County, Quebec, as one of a family of ten children. In the summer of 1916, he moved to Cobalt to work at Dominion Reduction Silver Mine and also signed his first union card with the Cobalt Miners Union, Local 146 Western Federation of Miners (WFM). In 1919, Carlin joined the One Big Union (OBU). Then, while working as a miner in Kirkland Lake, Ontario in 1936, he became a charter member of Local 240 of the International Union of Mine, Mill, and Smelter Workers (IUMMSW). In 1942, after being fired for union activity, Carlin moved to Sudbury where he remained for the rest of his life. In 1944, he was Worker’s Delegate Advisor at that year’s session of the International Labour Office. In 1942, he represented the IUMMSW as an Executive Council Member of the Canadian Congress of Labour (CCL) and as a member of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF). In 1949 he and the IUMMSW were expelled from the CCF when they refused to comply with the anti-communist crusade being conducted by that party. Between 1943-1952, Carlin was the Eastern Canada Director (District 8) of IUMMSW and National Organizer for IUMMSW between 1956 and 1958.

Between 1943-1948, running for the CCF, Carlin was elected, then re-elected as a member of the Ontario Legislature representing Sudbury before going down to defeat by Welland Gemmell, a Progressive Conservative. In 1949 he ran again, also unsuccessfully, in the Federal election as a candidate for Nickel Belt on the Farmer-Labour ticket. From 1962-1972 Mr. Carlin worked for the United Steelworkers of America (USWA) as an International Representative. He was awarded a Centennial Medal of Canada in 1967, in recognition of his contributions to the labour movement, and an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Laurentian University in 1978.

http://viaf.org/viaf/155875908 · Corporate body · 1957-

Le Carrefour francophone de Sudbury est un centre culturel et de formation communautaire axé sur la promotion et la fierté de la culture franco-ontarienne. Il est le premier centre de son genre en Ontario. Le projet a été mis sur pieds par le Père Albert Régimbal s.j. en 1950, et l’organisme fut ensuite incorporé à but non lucratif en 1957. À l’époque, Régimbal nomma son centre « Civitas Christi », mais on le connaissait officiellement sous l’appellation « Le Centre des jeunes de Sudbury ». Albert Régimbal, ayant étudié au Collège Sacré-Cœur à Sudbury avant de devenir jésuite et directeur du Centre, connaissait l’importance du loisir et de l’apprentissage du leadership chez les jeunes francophones catholiques. Ainsi, il voulait donc créer un lieu de rassemblement pour ceux-ci. Régimbal a participé activement à la diffusion et la promotion du Centre jusqu’à sa mort en 1981.

Bien qu’initialement créé pour offrir un lieu de rassemblement, ainsi que des programmes socioculturels pour les jeunes adolescents de la communauté francophone et catholique sudburoise, la vocation du centre s’est modifiée au fil des ans. Elle s’axe sur la promotion de la culture, l’expression artistique et les loisirs, ainsi que la promotion du leadership, d’abord dans une atmosphère française et peu importe l’âge du participant. Malgré que le Centre ait toujours visé, d’abord et avant tout, la jeunesse francophone, son mandat a évolué au fil des ans afin de répondre plus fidèlement aux besoins et aspirations de la clientèle qu’il continue aujourd’hui à desservir. C’est ainsi qu’en 1989, le Centre a été renommé « Carrefour francophone de Sudbury ».

Le Centre des jeunes a son premier local au sous-sol de l’église Ste-Anne de Sudbury en 1950, après que celui-ci fut creusé par le Père Régimbal, Jacques Groulx et un petit groupe d’adolescents sudburois. En 1967, les activités offertes par le Centre des jeunes se multiplient, ainsi que ses membres, et ayant besoin de plus grands locaux, le centre déménage à l’édifice Empire au centre-ville de Sudbury. À la fin des années 1970, le Centre sera encore une fois à la recherche de nouveaux locaux. En 1978, le Centre des jeunes devient propriétaire de l’ancien hôpital Saint-Joseph, situé au centre-ville, et y entreprend les rénovations nécessaires avant qu’il puisse y déménager en 1981. La « Place St-Joseph », don du Diocèse du Sault-Sainte-Marie et des Sœurs de la Charité d’Ottawa, hébergera le Centre des jeunes, ainsi que plusieurs autres organisations et entreprises de langue française.

Encore aujourd’hui, le Carrefour francophone prolonge la tradition qui lui a donné naissance. En plus des activités culturelles (peinture, photographie, musique, cinéma), sociales (danse, regroupements des jeunes) et sportives qu’offre le Carrefour, il gère aussi le plus important programme récréatif pour enfants en Ontario, Le Tremplin – un programme après l’école. Au fil des ans, il s’est aussi occupé de l’organisation et la programmation de camps d’été, tels que l’Île-aux-Chênes, « la colonie de vacances franco-ontarienne », et plus récemment, le Camp Ouaouaron. Le Carrefour a aussi souvent participé à la fondation de nouveaux organismes francophones, telle que « La Slague » et « La Galerie du Nouvel-Ontario », et s’est jumelé, pendant un certain temps, au Centre Alpha Culturel et aussi au Collège Boréal afin de créer, parmi d’autres, des services pédagogiques, tel qu’un centre d’alphabétisation populaire et un programme d’éducation permanente pour adultes. Le Carrefour francophone de Sudbury par ses nombreuses activités et programmes offerts, continue de promouvoir activement la préservation, ainsi que l’apprentissage de la langue française, en plus de la fierté culturelle francophone à Sudbury.

http://viaf.org/viaf/143020158 · Corporate body · 1978-

CBC Radio (CBCS) in Sudbury began operations in the spring of 1978. The station’s broadcast area is from Parry Sound to James Bay and from Mattawa to Wawa. It carries a combination of regional and national programming. Local weekday shows include: Morning North, Points North, and Radio Noon.

Checkeris, Ernest
Person · 1925-2014

Ernest James (Ernie) Checkeris (1925 -2014) was born in Toronto, Ontario to Greek refugees. He attended public schools in Toronto until grade 12, when he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Navy to serve in World War II. Checkeris moved to Sudbury in 1945 where he was general manager and co-owner of Wahnapitae Lumber Building Supplies. In 1945 he was elected a school trustee in Dryden Township, serving in this position for 55 years until his retirement in 2000. As of 2011, he was the longest serving school trustee in Ontario’s history.

Ernie Checkeris has been highly influential in the field of education in Ontario, serving on numerous committees and councils. In addition to his work as a trustee, perhaps most notably, was his membership to the Ontario Provincial Committee of Aims and Objectives of Education in the Schools of Ontario, which published Living and Learning, better known as the 1968 Hall-Dennis Report. Checkeris’ involvement in education also included addressing issues facing schools such as labour relations, special education, racism, and violence, with specific attention given to the concerns of Sudbury and the needs of Northern Ontario.

In recognition of his work in education, Ernie Checkeris was made a lifetime member of the Ontario Public School Boards and the Canadian School Boards. He received many awards acknowledging his accomplishments including the Order of Ontario in 2000, an honorary doctorate in canon law from Thornloe University in 2001, and the Queen’s Golden Jubilee medal in 2003. The Ernie Checkeris Public School, in Sudbury, was named after him in 1989, and the Thornloe Theatre was renamed “The Ernie Checkeris Theatre” in 2011.

In addition to his work in education, Ernie Checkeris was active in his community. He was a supporter of the Junior Chambers of Commerce (Jaycees), Boy Scouts of Canada, and other youth organizations. Checkeris was also involved with Greek cultural organizations such as the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Community. A supporter of the arts, he attended Cambrian College where he studied pottery in 1980; his works include publicly displayed murals, as well as clay sculptures. Checkeris also published a collection his writings, Thanks Be to the Gods!: A Memory (Sudbury: Teen Tree Pah Publishing) in 2001.

Corporate body · 1969-1998

Le Conseil des écoles séparées catholiques romaines du district de Sudbury a officiellement débuté le 1er janvier 1969, soit après l'amalgamation de 25 districts du Conseil précédant de la Commission scolaire catholique. Ce nouveau Conseil compte 42 écoles françaises, 28 écoles anglaises et 7 écoles mixtes dans un rayon de 110 kilomètres autour de Sudbury. À ses débuts, la population étudiante du Conseil est de 24,376, dont 14,333 sont francophones et 10,043 sont anglophones.

Le premier président du Grand Conseil fût Monsieur Gérard Barbeau, tandis que les 13 conseillers scolaires étaient: Dr. Joseph Fyfe; messieurs Normand Forest, Maurice Gauthier, Maurice Henri, John D. Keast, Ernest Kilroy, Léon P. Lalonde, Lionel Lalonde, Nelson Marquis, René Plouffe, Aurèle Poulin, Guy Raymond et Tarcisio Tomassini. Suite aux difficultés du passé entre les deux groupes linguistiques, le nouveau Conseil accorde à ceux-ci, dès ses débuts, une autonomie qui permet à chaque groupe de répondre à ses besoins particuliers. De plus, afin de faciliter l'autonomie de deux groupes, le Conseil établi deux comités d'éducation, donc un comité anglais et un comité français.

En 1983, le comité exécutif du Conseil est composé du Directeur général des écoles et secrétaire du Conseil, Monsieur Onésime Tremblay. Celui-ci coordonne les activités de l'entreprise pédagogique et administrative. Les deux autres membres qui partagent ces responsabilités sont: Monsieur Gordon Whalen, surintendant des écoles anglaises et secrétaire adjoint du Conseil, et Monsieur Roger Gionet, surintendant d'affaires et des finances.

Cette structure administrative du Conseil des écoles séparées catholiques romaines du district de Sudbury prendra fin lorsque, le 1er janvier 1998, il deviendra: Conseil scolaire de district catholique du Nouvel-Ontario.

http://viaf.org/viaf/137164412 · Corporate body · 1998-

Suite à la loi 104 ou "Loi de 1997" réduisant le nombre de conseils scolaires, le Conseil scolaire catholique à Sudbury a dû s'amalgamer avec quatre autres conseils. Le nouveau conseil légalement établi le 1er janvier 1998 se nomme : Le Conseil scolaire de district catholique du Nouvel Ontario. Il s'étend sur au-delà de 15,189 kilomètres interrompus et englobe les comtés de Chapleau, Michipicoten, Rive Nord, Sault Ste-Marie et Sudbury. Ce nouveau conseil, uniquement francophone, regroupe 10,000 élèves répartis dans 27 écoles élémentaires, 10 écoles secondaires et 1 centre d'éducation pour les adultes.