Showing 6 results

People and organizations
Canada Aviation and Space Museum Library and Archives

Beard, Charles Taschereau, 1890-1950

  • Person
  • 1890-07-30 - 1950-11-21

Commander Charles Taschereau Beard was born in Ottawa on 30 July 1890. He began his career with the Royal Navy on the merchant training ship Conway. Returning to Canada, he worked first in the fisheries protection service and then joined the Royal Naval Reserve in 1909 before enlisting in the Royal Canadian Navy in 1910 as a midshipman. During the First World War, he served in the region of Pas de Calais. By 1921, he was working with Alexander Graham Bell at Baddek when Bell was testing hydrofoils. In 1922 he was promoted to Senior Naval Officer, Esquimalt, and was Captain of Naden. “He later held various posts at Headquarters including Director of Naval Reserves and also Director of Naval Operations” (CFB Esquimalt Navy and Military Museum). When his mandate as Director of Naval Reserves was finishing, the Minster of the Interior invited the Royal Canadian Navy to assign an officer to an expedition to explore the eastern arctic. Beard was assigned to this expedition on the Hudson Bay Company ship Nascopie in July 1935. Prior to his voyage, a Senior Air Officer had requested Beard to write a report on the region and the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) loaned him a camera with ten rolls of film. He was also given a list of potential sites where fuel might be stored which he was to evaluate. The report and negatives were submitted to the RCAF after the voyage. In 1936, he was once again at Naden as Commanding Officer as well as Commander of the Dockyard. Beard retired from the Navy but was called back into service in the Second World War where he had command of the HMS Prince Rupert. Retiring again from service due to ill health, he went on to serve as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Esquimalt after the war, from 1945-1948. Beard died on 21 November 1950.

Harris, Les, 1947-

  • Person
  • 1947-01-04 -

Leslie Philip Harris, known as Les Harris, born 4 January 1947 in England, began his career as a local reporter for BBC Radio Sheffield in 1967 while still attending Sheffield University. He was accepted as a trainee to BBC TV's Film Editing course in London in 1968. He became an Assistant Film Editor and then a Film Editor at BBCTV before leaving the Corporation in 1972. That year he established Leshar Films for his film editing and directing projects, and also Leshar Film Sales Limited, a film distribution (to television) corporation. At this time he also began work on the documentary Chabot Solo part 1: 1914-1918 on early aviator Charles Chabot. Chabot Solo part 1 and its two sequel documentaries, Chabot Solo part 2: 1918-1939 and Chabot Solo part 3: 1939-1975 were released to television world-wide over a short period between 1974 to 1975 with BBCTV being the lead broadcaster. Part 3 was shot mainly in Newfoundland, and all post-production work was done in Canada. Soon thereafter, Harris founded Canamedia Productions Limited to facilitate his future independent work in Canada. When he immigrated to Toronto in 1976 he had a year’s contract to direct and produce the ‘Country Canada’ programme for the CBC’s Agriculture and Resources Department. CTV’s W5 then hired Harris through Canamedia as a Senior Field Producer where he covered stories on a wide-range of subjects and produced hosts Henry Champ, Jim Reed and Helen Hutchinson. During this time, he produced a segment for W5 on the newly certified Canadian amphibious aircraft, the Trident TriGull. Harris left CTV to produce his documentary Escape from Iran: The Inside Story and then the TV movie Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper. Broadcast as a simulcast in Canada and the USA in 1981, Caper was the first ever prime-time Canadian movie production to be commissioned by an American network (CBS TV). Harris fought to get recognition for Pat Taylor, wife of Ambassador Ken Taylor, and Zena Sheardown, wife of Chief Immigration Officer John Sheardown, for their roles in safely hiding the "houseguests" in Tehran – both were finally awarded the Order of Canada. With a few limited exceptions, Harris has worked exclusively on Canamedia projects, winning such awards as the George Foster Peabody Award for his documentary Threads Of Hope, the Banff TV Festival Rocky award; Gold and Silver medals from the International Film and TV Festival of New York; three Geminis; the Canadian Film and Television Producers Association’s Best Production of the Year; and, was nominated for an International Emmy. For example, Harris produced, directed, edited, narrated and wrote the 1989 documentary, By the Seat of their Pants, on Canadian bush pilots, which also won a Gemini among other awards. In order to help finance the film productions, a distribution division of Canamedia Productions was established to license Canadian TV programs to worldwide TV. The production company led by Harris was also one of the three co-founders of the cable children’s television network, YTV. When regulations changed in 1998, the production and distribution activities of Canamedia were divided in order to form two new companies: Canamedia Film Productions Inc. and Canamedia Inc. During this period, Harris produced and directed the documentary Alien Obsession for Canamedia Film Productions Inc. and produced Faces of a Vanishing World for the US Ovation Network. Both the production and distribution company were sold in 2010 to Access Media, now called Distribution Access, but prior to the sale, Harris re-acquired the copyright of all the films he produced through Canamedia over his career. Although officially retired, Harris continues to work as a filmmaker and is currently just finishing filming a documentary in Costa Rica called The Ultimate Challenge: Survival of the Great Green about saving a parrot species called the Great Green Macaw.

Law, Bill

  • Person
  • unknown

William Law is an Aviation Engineer who first acquired his private pilot’s license in 1947. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Queen’s University in 1950. He began his career at Spartan Air Service also in 1950. He was eventually promoted to Manager, Research and Engineering Division, where he was responsible for modifying aircraft for Spartan’s aerial surveys. In 1957 he moved to de Havilland Aircraft of Canada as Special Projects and Senior Research Engineer. His three areas of focus at de Havilland were: the measurement and analysis of aircraft noise; the design and testing of wind tunnel and ditching models; and, the design of high flotation undercarriages and the operation of aircraft from unprepared terrain. Law moved to the Ontario Ministry of Transport in 1972 where he was Chief, Civil Aeronautics Research and Special Projects. He was responsible for research and investigation in support of planning and development of the civil air transportation system in Ontario. It seems as though Law retired in 1976, but continued to work as a consultant for the Ministry through his company Bill Law Consulting Services. He was employed by the Ministry of Transportation as Principal Aviation Engineer, providing expertise for the Minister’s evaluation of major federal aviation initiatives that would have an impact on the province.

Lindquist, Carol Anne

  • Person

Carol Anne Lindquist was born in Tecumseh, Ontario, where as a young girl she would pretend to be a stewardess. It was during a trip when she was roughly 10 years old to Detroit’s Willow Run Airport that her dream was firmly cemented - she spent 4 hours watching the planes taking off, landing and observing the stewardesses. After this trip, she regularly visited the Windsor airport, taking photos of the Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) flight attendants and collecting their autographs. She also compiled a scrap book of news items about TCA. The flight attendants got to know her and one, Mary Vasco, sent her name to TCA public relations in Toronto. In 1957, public relations flew Ms. Linquist, then 13, and her mother to Toronto for the day. Her mother made her a replica of the TCA flight attendant uniform, which she wore during her trip. After graduating high school in 1961, she entered nursing school. During nursing school, Ms. Lindquist flew TCA during her practicum and helped the flight attendants with their duties, including taking care of a sick passenger. She graduated nursing school in 1964 and worked for a year in Tecumseh. On June 25, 1965 she achieved her goal and became a flight attendant for TCA. She was a flight attendant from 1965-1966 when she left her job to get married. Lindquist was an active member of the Canada Maple Wings Association after leaving TCA, allowing her to maintain friendships and involvement with Air Canada. She currently lives in Davidson, Québec.

Sullivan, Kenneth H., 1922-

  • Person
  • 1922-08-21 -

Kenneth H. Sullivan was born on 21 August 1922 in Toronto, Ontario. He graduated from St. Michael’s College and then took the Senior Aircraft Course at Central Technical School. He began work as an Aircraft Mechanic at Leavens Brothers Air Services in 1940. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1943 as a Flight Engineer. He then joined the Department of Transportation as a Meteorological Observer from 1944 to 1945. After the war, he earned a Bachelor of Science in aeronautical engineering from University of Toronto in 1949. During his summers from 1947 to 1949, he worked at Kenting Aviation. He was hired by A.V. Roe as an Installation Engineer after his degree, working there until 1951 when he began his career at Pratt & Whitney Canada. Based in Longueuil, Sullivan was part of the sales force. He held positions of increasingly responsibility. In 1966, Sullivan was invited to attend an 11-month course at the National Defence College in Kingston, Ontario. He was sponsored by the Canadian Department of Industry as the sole representative of Canadian industry. He joined about 30 military officers from Canada, Great Britain and the United States for a series of study sessions at the advanced graduate school level, including tours of various North American military installations and on-the-spot studies of conditions in a varied group of European, Asian and African nations. In 1971, he was elected to the Pratt & Whitney Canada Board of Directors. Sullivan retired from the company in 1984 as Senior Vice-President, Marketing and Product Support. In 1989, he and co-author Larry Milberry published Power: The Pratt & Whitney Canada Story.

Vachon Family

  • Family
  • 1898-

Roméo Vachon was born in 1898 in Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce, Québec. He dreamed at an early age of becoming a pilot, but first joined the Royal Canadian Navy as an engineer. He served during World War I on four different ships, returning to Quebec after the War. He then moved to Toronto in 1920 to enlist in the Royal Flying Corps at Camp Borden. The following year, in 1921, he was given leave to work for Laurentide Pulp and Paper Company, later Laurentide Air Services, where his brother Irénée soon also began to work. The Company watched for forest fires and created photographic aerial maps. Roméo learned to fly during this time but lacked a commercial pilots license. He took leave in 1923 to follow more formal pilot training with General Motors in Dayton, Ohio, and returned with an American commercial license. He received his Canadian license soon after, becoming the first French-Canadian to receive one. The Ontario government established the Ontario Provincial Air Service in 1924 and Vachoin joined the Service as a pilot. In 1927, he joined a new company, Canadian Transcontinental Airways, which was responsible for creating regular air postal service between isolated communities in Quebec on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River. By 1928, Roméo was flying a route between Sept-Iles and Moncton. That year he also provided assistance to the crew of the Bremen after their emergency landing on the first successful East-West transatlantic flight. When Transcontinental Airways expanded to create a new airmail service from Europe to Eastern Canada, Roméo Vachon was made responsible for recruitment and selection of the routes. When Transcontinental Airways was absorbed by Canadian Airways in 1930, Vachon was at first dismissed by the new company. He worked for six months as a private pilot for Bob Holt. During this period, in 1931, he was asked to pilot the Saro Cloud in the Trans Canada Air Pageant Montreal-Vancouver by Saunders-Roe. He was then invited by Saunders-Roe to come London to provide design advice on the aircraft. Vachon accepted a post with Canadian Airways again in 1932 as Operating Manager. He was promoted first to District Chief and then to Manager of the subsidiary airline Quebec Airways. In 1938, a year after it was founded, Trans-Canada Airlines recruited Romeo first as a pilot. He was made Airport Director, then Manager of fleet maintenance, before being named Deputy-Director of TCA’s Eastern Division. During the Second World War, he was seconded to the Ministry of Munitions and Supply, where he was responsible for the maintenance of the fleet for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Vachon was named a member of the Air Transport Board in 1944 and was made Advisor to the Minister on civil aviation and commercial aviation. He was part of Canada’s delegation at the international conference that created the International Civil Aviation Organization. Roméo Vachon was a member of the Air Transport Board until his death in 1954. He received a number of honours during his career, such as the British War Medal and the Victory Medal for his First World War service, and the Trans-Canada Trophy (McKee Trophy) for his contribution to the advancement of Canadian aviation. In 1960, a park was named after him in Sainte-Foy, the site of Quebec Citys first airfield.

Roméo Vachon and Georgette Tremblay were married in October 1924. They had four children: Thérèse, Gisèle, Pierre and Jean. Born in Lac-à-la-Tortue in 1900, Georgette earned a degree in Music and Letters from the Université de Laval. She continued her studies in Paris prior to her marriage. When her husbands appointment to the Air Transport Board brought the family to Ottawa in 1944, she participated actively in different voluntary organizations, notably founding the Société d’étude et de conférences d’Ottawa in 1946. She became a member of the Alliance Francaise of Ottawa in 1949 and was named as its President in 1954. She earned the titleMother of Canadian Aviation` through her many articles on Canadian aviation and through her six years of work at the Royal Canadian Air Force Historical Records Section. She was made an honorary member of Squadron 425 (Escadron Allouette) in 1953. Georgette Vachon authored the book Goggles, Helmets and Airmail Stamps, published in 1974, as well as other historical booklets. She died on 7 February 1987.