- Corporate body
- 1945-09-01 - 1962-04-30
See Authority Record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited for information on A.V. Roe Canada Limited.
See Authority Record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited for information on A.V. Roe Canada Limited.
For further information on the Aircraft Division of A.V. Roe Canada Limited, please see the authority record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited.
For further information on the history of the Gas Turbine Division, please see the authority record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited.
For further information on the company Avro Aircraft Limited (Canada), please see the authority record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited.
Commander Charles Taschereau Beard was born in Ottawa on 30 July 1890. He began his career with the Royal Navy on the merchant training ship Conway. Returning to Canada, he worked first in the fisheries protection service and then joined the Royal Naval Reserve in 1909 before enlisting in the Royal Canadian Navy in 1910 as a midshipman. During the First World War, he served in the region of Pas de Calais. By 1921, he was working with Alexander Graham Bell at Baddek when Bell was testing hydrofoils. In 1922 he was promoted to Senior Naval Officer, Esquimalt, and was Captain of Naden. “He later held various posts at Headquarters including Director of Naval Reserves and also Director of Naval Operations” (CFB Esquimalt Navy and Military Museum). When his mandate as Director of Naval Reserves was finishing, the Minster of the Interior invited the Royal Canadian Navy to assign an officer to an expedition to explore the eastern arctic. Beard was assigned to this expedition on the Hudson Bay Company ship Nascopie in July 1935. Prior to his voyage, a Senior Air Officer had requested Beard to write a report on the region and the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) loaned him a camera with ten rolls of film. He was also given a list of potential sites where fuel might be stored which he was to evaluate. The report and negatives were submitted to the RCAF after the voyage. In 1936, he was once again at Naden as Commanding Officer as well as Commander of the Dockyard. Beard retired from the Navy but was called back into service in the Second World War where he had command of the HMS Prince Rupert. Retiring again from service due to ill health, he went on to serve as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia for Esquimalt after the war, from 1945-1948. Beard died on 21 November 1950.
Jeffrey Hale Supple was born 4 June 1903 in Pembroke, Ontario, the first of two sons of Joseph Alfred Supple (1873 - 1949) and Ellen Eliza Hale Supple (1878 - 1965). His younger brother was Alan Hale Supple.
Jeffrey Hale Supple was a student at Pembroke Public School (1910 - 1916) and at Pembroke High School (1916 - 1919) prior to attending Toronto’s St. Andrew’s College (1919 - 1922). Following a work period with Arnold & Bell Lumber Company at Massey Bay, Ontario, he studied applied science at McGill University (1926 - 1928) where he was known for his involvement in tennis, shooting and boxing, a sport in which he won some recognition. During his final year of studies, he was commissioned (June 4,1928) as a Provisional Pilot Officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and attended the officers training course at Camp Borden, Ontario. Ultimately, however, he was not accepted into the RCAF because he had not completed, nor did he intend to complete, his university degree.
In December 1929, Jeffrey Hale Supple travelled to England with the intention of joining the Royal Air Force (RAF). He successfully passed the RAF’s Central Medical Examination Board later that same month. In January 1930 he was accepted as a Pilot Officer on Probation with the General Duties Branch of the RAF on a five-year Short Service Commission. Following a 20-day induction course at the RAF Depot in Uxbridge, West London, he attended the five month long Flying Training Course as a pilot at No. 1 Flying Training School at Netheravon, Wiltshire, where he qualified “with distinction” as a pilot in August 1930 flying the Avro 504N and de Havilland Moth. He was immediately assigned to No. 10, RAF Squadron, located at Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire which was a heavy bomber unit using aircraft such as the twin-engine Handley-Page Hyderabad (HP24) and Hinaidi (HP36). While serving with No. 10 Squadron, he advanced from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer and served as an Air Pilotage Instructor, demonstrating “above average ability” in both day and night navigation.
Following instruction on single-engined bombers, most likely the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas, Jeffrey Hale Supple was transferred in early October 1932 to No. 84, RAF Squadron, in Shaibah, Iraq. At the time, No. 84 Squadron was flying the Westland Wapiti with responsibilities for the aerial photography of southern Iraq for map-making purposes.
Jeffrey Hale Supple died after a brief bout of malaria on May 28, 1934 in Basra, Iraq while serving with No. 84 Squadron. He was not married. His body was interred at the Basra Military and Air Force Cemetery. An article he wrote, entitled “The Navigator’s Cabin and its Position”, was published posthumously in The Aeroplane (Vol. XLII, No. 1222) on October 24, 1934.
Leslie Philip Harris, known as Les Harris, born 4 January 1947 in England, began his career as a local reporter for BBC Radio Sheffield in 1967 while still attending Sheffield University. He was accepted as a trainee to BBC TV's Film Editing course in London in 1968. He became an Assistant Film Editor and then a Film Editor at BBCTV before leaving the Corporation in 1972. That year he established Leshar Films for his film editing and directing projects, and also Leshar Film Sales Limited, a film distribution (to television) corporation. At this time he also began work on the documentary Chabot Solo part 1: 1914-1918 on early aviator Charles Chabot. Chabot Solo part 1 and its two sequel documentaries, Chabot Solo part 2: 1918-1939 and Chabot Solo part 3: 1939-1975 were released to television world-wide over a short period between 1974 to 1975 with BBCTV being the lead broadcaster. Part 3 was shot mainly in Newfoundland, and all post-production work was done in Canada. Soon thereafter, Harris founded Canamedia Productions Limited to facilitate his future independent work in Canada. When he immigrated to Toronto in 1976 he had a year’s contract to direct and produce the ‘Country Canada’ programme for the CBC’s Agriculture and Resources Department. CTV’s W5 then hired Harris through Canamedia as a Senior Field Producer where he covered stories on a wide-range of subjects and produced hosts Henry Champ, Jim Reed and Helen Hutchinson. During this time, he produced a segment for W5 on the newly certified Canadian amphibious aircraft, the Trident TriGull. Harris left CTV to produce his documentary Escape from Iran: The Inside Story and then the TV movie Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper. Broadcast as a simulcast in Canada and the USA in 1981, Caper was the first ever prime-time Canadian movie production to be commissioned by an American network (CBS TV). Harris fought to get recognition for Pat Taylor, wife of Ambassador Ken Taylor, and Zena Sheardown, wife of Chief Immigration Officer John Sheardown, for their roles in safely hiding the "houseguests" in Tehran – both were finally awarded the Order of Canada. With a few limited exceptions, Harris has worked exclusively on Canamedia projects, winning such awards as the George Foster Peabody Award for his documentary Threads Of Hope, the Banff TV Festival Rocky award; Gold and Silver medals from the International Film and TV Festival of New York; three Geminis; the Canadian Film and Television Producers Association’s Best Production of the Year; and, was nominated for an International Emmy. For example, Harris produced, directed, edited, narrated and wrote the 1989 documentary, By the Seat of their Pants, on Canadian bush pilots, which also won a Gemini among other awards. In order to help finance the film productions, a distribution division of Canamedia Productions was established to license Canadian TV programs to worldwide TV. The production company led by Harris was also one of the three co-founders of the cable children’s television network, YTV. When regulations changed in 1998, the production and distribution activities of Canamedia were divided in order to form two new companies: Canamedia Film Productions Inc. and Canamedia Inc. During this period, Harris produced and directed the documentary Alien Obsession for Canamedia Film Productions Inc. and produced Faces of a Vanishing World for the US Ovation Network. Both the production and distribution company were sold in 2010 to Access Media, now called Distribution Access, but prior to the sale, Harris re-acquired the copyright of all the films he produced through Canamedia over his career. Although officially retired, Harris continues to work as a filmmaker and is currently just finishing filming a documentary in Costa Rica called The Ultimate Challenge: Survival of the Great Green about saving a parrot species called the Great Green Macaw.
A.V. Roe Canada Limited was incorporated on September 1, 1945, and took over the plant and operations of Victory Aircraft Limited. Based in Malton, Ontario, Victory was a Crown corporation producing Avro Lancaster bombers until the end of the Second World War. A.V. Roe Canada Limited worked with the Canadian government to convert Victory’s wartime infrastructure and expertise into post-war commercial civilian and military aircraft manufacturing. In 1946, A.V. Roe Canada acquired Turbo Research Limited, another Crown corporation, which designed aircraft jet engines. A.V. Roe Canada in 1946 then had two divisions: the Aircraft Division based in Malton, Ontario, and the Gas Turbine Division, based in Malton and Nobel, Ontario. By 1955, the two divisions became separate operational companies, Avro Aircraft Limited and Orenda Engines Limited, of the holding company A.V. Roe Canada. A.V. Roe Canada continued to acquire subsidiary companies throughout the 1950s.
A.V. Roe Canada was itself a wholly owned subsidiary of the U.K.-based Hawker Siddeley Group. While its geographic distance and its size (in 1956/57 45% of the entire Hawker Siddeley Group worldwide business was taking place in Canada) gave it some independence, A.V. Roe Canada was always ultimately responsible to its U.K. parent. It did not report to Avro (UK), but directly to the Hawker Siddeley Group. By the time A.V. Roe Canada acquired Dominion Steel and Coal in 1956, there were forty-four companies operating under the holding company. From 300 employees in 1945, A.V. Roe Canada had grown to over 20,000 employees in 1957.
A.V. Roe Canada Limited is most well-known for the design and development of three aircraft types. The Avro Canada CF-100 all-weather fighter saw extensive service in Canada and Europe, serving with both the RCAF and the Belgian Air Force. The CF-100 is the only Canadian designed fighter aircraft to enter series production. On August 19, 1949, the Avro Canada C-102 Jetliner was the second (by 13 days) passenger jet aircraft to fly - the first in North America. The Jetliner was ahead of its time in many ways but it never entered production as more and more Avro Canada resources were put toward the CF-100. The Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow was the third major design and a highly ambitious project, intended to combine a new supersonic (Mach 2+) airframe with newly designed Orenda Iroquois engines, new (Douglas Sparrow) air-to-air missiles and a new (RCA Astra) integrated electronic system into a state of the art air defence weapon platform. On February 20, 1959, the Government of Canada terminated the Arrow project for a combination of technical, fiscal, political and military reasons that remain controversial today. Over 14,000 Avro Canada employees lost their jobs. A.V. Roe Canada took steps to reduce its increasingly precarious dependence on aircraft manufacturing and defence procurement, from then on only continuing with the development of the Avrocar testbeds built for the US Army until this project was cancelled in 1961. Orenda Engines created the subsidiary Orenda Industrial Limited that sold and repaired diesel engines and industrial turbines. Hawker Siddeley Group bought de Havilland at the end of 1959, including de Havilland Canada (DHC). A.V. Roe Canada’s non-aviation elements were renamed Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited on May 1, 1962. Its aviation interests were transferred to DHC on July 27, 1962.
Hawker Siddeley Canada sold 40% of Orenda Engines in 1966 to United Aircraft Corporation, parent company of United Aircraft of Canada Limited, today’s Pratt & Whitney Canada. Orenda manufactured parts for Pratt & Whitney’s jet engines. However, in 1973, Hawker Siddeley Canada bought out United Aircraft’s Orenda holdings. Besides Orenda Engines, Hawker Siddeley Canada’s had numerous divisions and/or subsidiaries over time, including: Halifax Shipyards, Canadian Steel Foundries, Canadian Car and Foundry, Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation, Canadian General Transit (railway cars), A-R Technologies Inc. (aero engine repair and overhaul), Kockums Cancar (sawmill equipment), Canadian Steel Wheel and several other industrial and engineering businesses. The British Government nationalized the weapon, aircraft and space equipment activities of the Hawker Siddeley Group parent company in 1977. Hawker Siddeley Canada sold its remaining business assets in a series of transactions in the early 1990s and effectively ceased most business operations by 1996, when its remaining aviation assets, including Orenda Engines, were sold to Magellan Aerospace Corporation. Hawker Siddeley Canada continued to exist as a shell corporation until its discontinuation as a federal corporation on December 22, 2004.
This company came into existence after the end of the First World War when a Quebec based forester, Ellwood Wilson, an employee of the Quebec based Laurentide Pulp & Paper Company foresaw the benefits of aircraft in the forestry industry for aerial fire patrol, aerial survey and photography applications. Wilson arranged the loan of two Curtiss H2-2L flying boats (registered HS2L No. 1876 - later G-CAAC La Vigilance (now on display at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum and the only one of its type in existence) and HS2L No. 1878 - later G-CAAD) from the Government of Canada and the first fire patrol and aerial photography flying began during the summer of 1919.
In 1922 this aerial arm of the Pulp and Paper company separate from its parent and became Laurentide Air Services Incorporated with Thomas Hall as president and Roy Maxwell as vice-president and general manager. The new company was authorized to carry passengers, mail and freight design, repair and manufacturer aircraft; and, even experiment with military applications.
Laurentide’s aircraft proved to be so valuable that the government of Ontario hired the company in 1922 for forestry survey and mapping work. It also acquired a contract from Fairchild Aerial Survey of Canada Limited of which Wilson was president, for personnel transport and fire patrol duties however Laurentide had too much work and had to cancel the contract with Fairchild who found another company to fulfill their needs.
By 1923 Laurentide was awarded exclusive contracts to all of Ontario’s flying requirements involving forestry work utilizing twelve aircraft and employing six pilots and five licensed engineers.
Given Laurentide’s success in demonstrating the benefits of aircraft use in the forestry industry, Ontario decided to create their own “Ontario Provincial Flying Service (OPSC)”. The loss of this contract and company personnel to OPSC had a major impact on Laurentide’s financial viability. Other competitors such as Dominion Aerial Exploration Company had also entered the industry. To survive, Laurentide launched passenger services to remote Quebec goldfields from bases in Angliers and Haileybury, Quebec becoming the first scheduled air service in Canada. By 1924 contracts with the Spanish River Pulp and Paper company as well as with Fairchild Aerial Survey of Canada Limited were obtained sustaining company operations until year end but producing disappointing financial results due insufficient business volume.
Laurentide planned to extend business through the winter into 1924 but in January of that year the company having experienced the loss of a new aircraft in an accident on top of operating losses from the previous year was forced to close their business. Having pioneered bush flying, aerial forestry management and scheduled passenger services, the company was eclipsed by newcomers who benefited from their pioneering aviation work.
William Law is an Aviation Engineer who first acquired his private pilot’s license in 1947. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Queen’s University in 1950. He began his career at Spartan Air Service also in 1950. He was eventually promoted to Manager, Research and Engineering Division, where he was responsible for modifying aircraft for Spartan’s aerial surveys. In 1957 he moved to de Havilland Aircraft of Canada as Special Projects and Senior Research Engineer. His three areas of focus at de Havilland were: the measurement and analysis of aircraft noise; the design and testing of wind tunnel and ditching models; and, the design of high flotation undercarriages and the operation of aircraft from unprepared terrain. Law moved to the Ontario Ministry of Transport in 1972 where he was Chief, Civil Aeronautics Research and Special Projects. He was responsible for research and investigation in support of planning and development of the civil air transportation system in Ontario. It seems as though Law retired in 1976, but continued to work as a consultant for the Ministry through his company Bill Law Consulting Services. He was employed by the Ministry of Transportation as Principal Aviation Engineer, providing expertise for the Minister’s evaluation of major federal aviation initiatives that would have an impact on the province.
Carol Anne Lindquist was born in Tecumseh, Ontario, where as a young girl she would pretend to be a stewardess. It was during a trip when she was roughly 10 years old to Detroit’s Willow Run Airport that her dream was firmly cemented - she spent 4 hours watching the planes taking off, landing and observing the stewardesses. After this trip, she regularly visited the Windsor airport, taking photos of the Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) flight attendants and collecting their autographs. She also compiled a scrap book of news items about TCA. The flight attendants got to know her and one, Mary Vasco, sent her name to TCA public relations in Toronto. In 1957, public relations flew Ms. Linquist, then 13, and her mother to Toronto for the day. Her mother made her a replica of the TCA flight attendant uniform, which she wore during her trip. After graduating high school in 1961, she entered nursing school. During nursing school, Ms. Lindquist flew TCA during her practicum and helped the flight attendants with their duties, including taking care of a sick passenger. She graduated nursing school in 1964 and worked for a year in Tecumseh. On June 25, 1965 she achieved her goal and became a flight attendant for TCA. She was a flight attendant from 1965-1966 when she left her job to get married. Lindquist was an active member of the Canada Maple Wings Association after leaving TCA, allowing her to maintain friendships and involvement with Air Canada. She currently lives in Davidson, Québec.
For further information on Orenda Engines Limited, please see the authority record for Hawker Siddeley Canada Limited.
Kenneth H. Sullivan was born on 21 August 1922 in Toronto, Ontario. He graduated from St. Michael’s College and then took the Senior Aircraft Course at Central Technical School. He began work as an Aircraft Mechanic at Leavens Brothers Air Services in 1940. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1943 as a Flight Engineer. He then joined the Department of Transportation as a Meteorological Observer from 1944 to 1945. After the war, he earned a Bachelor of Science in aeronautical engineering from University of Toronto in 1949. During his summers from 1947 to 1949, he worked at Kenting Aviation. He was hired by A.V. Roe as an Installation Engineer after his degree, working there until 1951 when he began his career at Pratt & Whitney Canada. Based in Longueuil, Sullivan was part of the sales force. He held positions of increasingly responsibility. In 1966, Sullivan was invited to attend an 11-month course at the National Defence College in Kingston, Ontario. He was sponsored by the Canadian Department of Industry as the sole representative of Canadian industry. He joined about 30 military officers from Canada, Great Britain and the United States for a series of study sessions at the advanced graduate school level, including tours of various North American military installations and on-the-spot studies of conditions in a varied group of European, Asian and African nations. In 1971, he was elected to the Pratt & Whitney Canada Board of Directors. Sullivan retired from the company in 1984 as Senior Vice-President, Marketing and Product Support. In 1989, he and co-author Larry Milberry published Power: The Pratt & Whitney Canada Story.
Roméo Vachon was born in 1898 in Sainte-Marie-de-Beauce, Québec. He dreamed at an early age of becoming a pilot, but first joined the Royal Canadian Navy as an engineer. He served during World War I on four different ships, returning to Quebec after the War. He then moved to Toronto in 1920 to enlist in the Royal Flying Corps at Camp Borden. The following year, in 1921, he was given leave to work for Laurentide Pulp and Paper Company, later Laurentide Air Services, where his brother Irénée soon also began to work. The Company watched for forest fires and created photographic aerial maps. Roméo learned to fly during this time but lacked a commercial pilot's license. He took leave in 1923 to follow more formal pilot training with General Motors in Dayton, Ohio, and returned with an American commercial license. He received his Canadian license soon after, becoming the first French-Canadian to receive one. The Ontario government established the Ontario Provincial Air Service in 1924 and Vachoin joined the Service as a pilot. In 1927, he joined a new company, Canadian Transcontinental Airways, which was responsible for creating regular air postal service between isolated communities in Quebec on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River. By 1928, Roméo was flying a route between Sept-Iles and Moncton. That year he also provided assistance to the crew of the Bremen after their emergency landing on the first successful East-West transatlantic flight. When Transcontinental Airways expanded to create a new airmail service from Europe to Eastern Canada, Roméo Vachon was made responsible for recruitment and selection of the routes. When Transcontinental Airways was absorbed by Canadian Airways in 1930, Vachon was at first dismissed by the new company. He worked for six months as a private pilot for Bob Holt. During this period, in 1931, he was asked to pilot the Saro Cloud in the Trans Canada Air Pageant Montreal-Vancouver by Saunders-Roe. He was then invited by Saunders-Roe to come London to provide design advice on the aircraft. Vachon accepted a post with Canadian Airways again in 1932 as Operating Manager. He was promoted first to District Chief and then to Manager of the subsidiary airline Quebec Airways. In 1938, a year after it was founded, Trans-Canada Airlines recruited Romeo first as a pilot. He was made Airport Director, then Manager of fleet maintenance, before being named Deputy-Director of TCA’s Eastern Division. During the Second World War, he was seconded to the Ministry of Munitions and Supply, where he was responsible for the maintenance of the fleet for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Vachon was named a member of the Air Transport Board in 1944 and was made Advisor to the Minister on civil aviation and commercial aviation. He was part of Canada's delegation at the international conference that created the International Civil Aviation Organization. Roméo Vachon was a member of the Air Transport Board until his death in 1954. He received a number of honours during his career, such as the British War Medal and the Victory Medal for his First World War service, and the Trans-Canada Trophy (McKee Trophy) for his contribution to the advancement of Canadian aviation. In 1960, a park was named after him in Sainte-Foy, the site of Quebec City's first airfield.
Roméo Vachon and Georgette Tremblay were married in October 1924. They had four children: Thérèse, Gisèle, Pierre and Jean. Born in Lac-à-la-Tortue in 1900, Georgette earned a degree in Music and Letters from the Université de Laval. She continued her studies in Paris prior to her marriage. When her husband's appointment to the Air Transport Board brought the family to Ottawa in 1944, she participated actively in different voluntary organizations, notably founding the Société d’étude et de conférences d'Ottawa in 1946. She became a member of the Alliance Francaise of Ottawa in 1949 and was named as its President in 1954. She earned the title 'Mother of Canadian Aviation' through her many articles on Canadian aviation and through her six years of work at the Royal Canadian Air Force Historical Records Section. She was made an honorary member of Squadron 425 (Escadron Allouette) in 1953. Georgette Vachon authored the book Goggles, Helmets and Airmail Stamps, published in 1974, as well as other historical booklets. She died on 7 February 1987.