The United Church at Beaverton, Ontario is the product of nearly a century of religious disputes among Scots allied to church controversies in the old country. In 1849 Knox Church was established by Free Church of Scotland adherents, many with Gaelic ties, in the aftermath of the Disruption of the Church of Scotland. St Andrew' s Church of Scotland, with preaching places in Gamebridge and Beaverton, remained with that parent denomination. The union of Canadian Presbyterian Churches in 1875 was not agreed to by the St. Andrew's congregation and it remained with the Church of Scotland until 1898 when it joined the Canadian church. In 1915 a union was consumated between St. Andrew's and Knox, reducing to one the number of Beaverton Presbyterian Churches. In 1918 the Presbyterians and Methodist Church of Canada at Beaverton agreed to unite in a Co-operative congregation which took the name, United Church of Beaverton, in 1921. At the time of Canadian church union in 1925, the Beaverton Presbyterians were divided over entry into the new, United Chuch of Canada. While a majority in the congregation of the United Church of Beaverton supported union, Presbyterian dissidents claimed that the vote was not a true expression of Presbyterian sentiment as former Methodists had been permitted to vote on the issue. In the ensuing dispute the Presbyterian Church retained a good deal of the United Church of Beaverton property.