Showing 647 results

People and organizations
Cawthra (family)
Family · 1759-

The Cawthra family, descendants of Joseph Cawthra (1759-1842), were prominent in Toronto, Ontario in the 1800s and early 1900s and included professionals, merchants, military men, and politicians.

Corporate body · 1953-

CFPL-TV, called 'A' since 2008, has been a major private television broadcaster in London, Ontario, providing news coverage of and to southwestern Ontario since 1953.

CFPL-TV was the second private television station to be licensed in Canada; it first went on the air on November 28, 1953 as Channel 10 on the television dial. From 1953 to 1993 it was owned and operated by the London Free Press Printing Company (owned by the Blackburn family) of London. The Blackburns also owned the newspaper, the London Free Press (hence the station' s call letters of F(ree) P(ress) L(ondon)), an AM radio station (opened in 1925) and an FM radio station in (opened in 1948).

In 1968 the London Free Press Company set up a separate division, CFPL Broadcasting Ltd., to operate CFPL-TV as well as the AM and FM radio stations which were also called CFPL. In 1971 CFPL Broadcasting purchased television station CKNX-TV and the CKNX AM radio station in Wingham.

In 1993 CFPL-TV and CKNX-TV were purchased by South West Ontario Broadcasting Inc. (Baton Broadcasting). In October 1993 CHWI-TV (Channel 16) was opened as a semi-satellite of CFPL-TV, with a transmitter located at Wheatley (in 1995 moved to Windsor).

In 1997 in a corporate swap of several stations between Baton and CHUM Television, CFPL-TV became a division of CHUM Television, based in Toronto. As part of the CHUM group of television stations, CFPL was renamed the New PL. Television stations CKNX and CHWI were part of the swap, and became the New NX and the New WI. Its official corporate name, however, became CFPL-TV division of CHUM Ltd.

During the period for which the Archives has news film and scripts (predominantly 1953-1974), CFPL's news program was titled Panorama and later FYI. It broadcasted in black and white until 1970 when colour broadcasts were initiated. The station began as a private affiliate of the publicly owned and operated CBC television (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), which had gone on the air in 1952 as Canada's first television broadcaster. CFPL's affiliate status with the CBC continued until 1988 when the station went independent. With CHUM Television's acquisition of CFPL-TV in 1997, the television news program was refashioned into the news format pioneered by City-TV, CHUM's local Toronto television station.

In 2005, CHUM announced plans to consolidate the master control departments for CFPL, CKVR, CHRO, CHWI and CKNX in the CHUM-City Building in Toronto; as well, CFPL was rebranded as A-Channel. In June 2007 all of the CHUM Limited channels (except for Citytv) were officially taken over by CTV globemedia. In 2008, CFPL as well as the former A-Channel newsrooms in Victoria/Vancouver, Barrie/Toronto, Windsor, Wingham and Ottawa were rebranded as 'A'.

Person · 1875-1949

Alfred Hirschfelder Chapman (1878-1949) was an important architect in Toronto, Ontario between 1907 and 1943.

Alfred H. Chapman, born 8 December 1878 in Toronto, Ontario, was educated at Harbord Collegiate. Upon completing an apprenticeship with architect Beaumont Jarvis and briefly working with Burke and Horwood, he left to attend the École Nationale et Spéciale des Beaux-Arts in Paris, completing his studies in 1902. He then worked for several years in New York City before returning to Toronto.

Chapman won a design competition for the Toronto Public Reference Library in 1907 and, later that year, formed a partnership with Robert B. McGiffin. Their firm planned a number of buildings in Toronto, including Rosedale Presbyterian Church, the Dovercourt branch of the Toronto Public Library, the Toronto Harbour Commission Building, and a number of residences. Around the year 1911, at least one project was accomplished under the name Chapman, McGiffin and Scott, but the new partner had left by 1912. Chapman and McGiffin dissolved their partnership in 1919.

That same year Chapman joined with engineer J. Morrow Oxley, formerly of the firm Oxley and Harkness. Chapman and Oxley designed many important commercial and public structures in and around Toronto, including the Princes' Gate and Ontario Government Building for the Canadian National Exhibition, Holy Blossom Temple, Runnymede Theatre, and an office building for The Toronto Star. They were also responsible for numerous buildings elsewhere, such as Albert College in Belleville, office buildings in Montreal, and additions to the National Sanitarium at Gravenhurst. Charles D. McKechnie executed decorative sculpture work for the firm. Between 1921-1925 some projects, including the residence of W.O. Tudhope in Orillia, were accomplished under the name Chapman, Oxley and Bishop, with the transitory addition of Roy H. Bishop to the partnership. In the final years of his career, the partnership again expanded to become Chapman, Oxley and Facey, whose project for the new Bank of Montreal Building was interrupted by the start of the Second World War.

Alfred Chapman married Doris Helen Dennison, an English musician, in 1913. They had six children, including son Howard D. Chapman, later to become a Toronto architect as well. He designed several homes for his family on Roxborough Street East in Toronto and a cottage on Lake Simcoe. In 1920, Chapman inherited his father's ice company, Belle Ewart Ice and Fuel Company, later renamed Chapmans Limited, for which Chapman and Oxley also designed various new buildings.

Chapman was a fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, a past president of the Ontario Association of Architects, and an associate of the Royal Canadian Academy. He suffered a stroke in 1943 and died six years later.

CHCH-TV (Hamilton, Ont.)
Corporate body · 1954-

CHCH-TV was founded in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1954, its mandate being to cover local, national and international news with a Hamilton perspective.

Chernia, Salomon, 1917-1988
Person · 1917-1988

Salomon (Sal) Chernia (1917-1988) was originally from Denmark but moved to Mississauga, Ontario in 1956. Sal taught handicapped people in Ontario how to drive and modified cars for people with disabilities in the 1960s and 1970s.

Salomon (Sal) Chernia was born on April 6th, 1917 in Copenhagen, Denmark. He fought as a member of the Danish resistance movement during WWII and spent time in a German concentration camp following WWII.

After the war, Sal returned to Denmark but soon started working in Berlin for the American army as a translator and censor. He married Eva Chernia in Copenhagen in 1947. They had a daughter, Ruth, who was born in 1948, in London, England.

In 1956, the family immigrated to Canada and settled in Mississauga, Ontario. Sal initially worked for Elmwood Motors in Port Credit, but after being injured on the job, had to find other employment. After working for a driving school in Toronto for a year, he started the Cosmo School of Safe driving ca. 1957, which was preceded by Sal's Driving Academy for the Physically Handicapped.

Sal was one of the first people in Ontario to teach handicapped people how to drive and his academy was one of the first such schools in Canada. He also modified cars so that people with disabilities could operate them.

Sal Chernia died at the Mississauga Hospital on April 7th, 1988. He is buried in the Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery in Oakville, Ontario.

CHIN Radio/TV International
Corporate body · 1964-

CHIN Radio/Television International, Inc. produces multicultural programming for broadcast in Toronto and surrounding areas.

Incorporated in 1964, CHIN is composed of television facilities and two radio stations, AM 1540 and FM 100.7. The organization was established in 1965 by Johnny Lombardi, and began broadcasting in 1966. In 1967 CHIN obtained an FM radio license.

Person · d. 1951

Thomas Langton Church (d. 1951) was mayor of Toronto between 1915 and 1921, and a federal Conservative member of Parliament between 1921 and the late 1940's.

He was born to John and Elizabeth Church, who came to Canada from Sligo, Ireland in 1849. He grew up in Toronto, and attended the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School, becoming a lawyer in 1897. He acted as a Toronto alderman between 1905 and 1909, as Controller from 1910 to 1914, and as Mayor from 1915 to 1921.

He then entered federal politics as a Conservative, and was elected seven times between 1921 and 1945. He lost only once, in 1930. He ran in the ridings of Toronto North, Toronto Northwest and Toronto West Centre.

He died in 1951.

CJRT-FM
Corporate body · 1949-

CJRT-FM was Canada's first noncommercial FM radio statio, specializing in educational and cultural programming.

The station, started by the Ryerson Institute of Technology, first went on the air in 1949 in Toronto. In 1971 it broadcast its first Open College university-level credit course, "Sociology" in co-operation with Ryerson Polytechnical Institute.

In 1973 Ryerson announced its intention to surrender the broadcast licence of CJRT- FM. That same year, the Ontario government announced that an independent corporation would be created to operate the station, and CJRT-FM Inc., an independent nonprofit corporation, was subsequently incorporated by Ontario Letters Patent on November 29, 1974. CJRT-FM Inc. is officially called a "transfer payment recipient" and while it has non-agency status, the station has been the responsibility of a number of government ministries. From 1975 1982, it came under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture and Recreation; the Ministry of Citizenship and Culture from 1982-1987; the Ministry of Culture and Communications from 1987-1993, and the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation from 1993 to the present.

In December 1986, CJRT-FM went on Anik-C satellite with the help of TV Ontario and through distribution agreements, became available on local cable systems throughout the province. The station's first satellite-to-cable coverage began in Dryden, Ontario. Today, the station provides satellite-to-cable coverage in many Ontario cities. Programming largely consists of classical, jazz, and folk music as well as a number of information and participation programs on the arts. The station also offers university level credit courses through its Open College department.

Clarke, Charles, 1826-1909
Person · 1826-1909

Charles Clarke (1826-1909) was a Colonel in the provincial militia, a municipal politician in Elora, a member of Ontario's Legislative Assembly, and Clerk of Ontario's Legislative Assembly between 1891 and 1907.

Charles Clarke was born in England in 1826, and moved to Upper Canada in 1844. After a brief attempt at farming, he moved to Elora and gradually adopted journalism as his vocation. He quickly adopted the reform party program as his own and became a regular contributor to liberal newspapers in the province. In 1852 he became the editor of the Elora Backwoodsman, remaining there until 1855. Two years later he became a member of the Elora Village Council, serving as Reeve from 1859 until 1868.

During this period he became active in the provincial militia, enroling as a Lieutenant in the Elora Rifle Company in 1861. He was appointed senior Major of the 30th Battalion, Wellington Rifles when it was organized in 1866. A short time later this unit was called up to deal with the Fenian Raid on the Niagara Peninsula. For this service he was eventually awarded a land grant. In 1871 Clarke was appointed to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he retained this rank until his retirement in 1893.

In 1871 he obtained the nomination as the Liberal candidate in Wellington Centre, winning the election of 1871. He served as the member for this riding until 1887, and as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for East Wellington from 1887 until 1891. Clarke served as the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly from 1880 to 1886. Clarke resigned from the legislature in 1891 and accepted the appointment as the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly. He retired from that post in 1907 to write his autobiography, 60 Years in Upper Canada, and died in 1909.

Colonel Clarke had three children. Dr. James Clarke was a Toronto physician, while Dr. C.K. Clarke was a pioneer in psychiatric treatment in the province, after whom the Clarke Institute is named.

Classey, Tim, 1942-
Person · 1942-

Timothy Classey (1942-) is an amateur photographer based in Toronto, Ontario, with a focus on architecture.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, in 1942, Timothy Classey became an amateur photographer in 1960 as a result of his interest in local history and domestic architecture. In 1962, Tim Classey was employed for several months as an assistant to restoration architect Napier Simpson. From 1962-1987, Classey toured Ontario photographing street scenes and buildings that he deemed architecturally significant.

Clegg, William T., 1796-1894
Person · 1796-1894

William T. Clegg (1796-1894) was an artist and a Clerk of Cheque with the Royal Engineers for the Rideau Canada Construction active from 1826 to 1845.

Clegg emigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1827 with the Royal Engineers. Clegg knew and worked with John Burrows, the Clerk of the Works, on the Rideau Canal system who also documented the Rideau Canada Construction. Clegg remained in Ottawa until his death is 1894.

Clement, Tony, 1961-
Person · 1961-

Tony Peter Clement (1961-) is a lawyer and politician who served as President of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party (1990-1992); Member of Provincial Parliament (1995-2003); and a Member of Parliament (2006-).

Tony Clement was born in Manchester, England in 1961 and came to Canada in 1965. He graduated from the University of Toronto with a political science degree (1983) and a law degree (1986).

Clement has many years of involvement with Ontario's Progressive Conservative Party. From 1986 to 1990 he co-chaired the Party's Constitution Committee. During and prior to this he chaired the PC Youth Association's Policy Committee.

He was President of the Party from 1990-1992 at which time he became Assistant Principal Secretary to Leader, Mike Harris. As a senior advisor, he was involved in both the organization and development of strategy within the Party. He ceased to hold this position in 1995, when he ran as the Progressive Conservative candidate in the riding of Brampton South.

Elected to the Provincial Parliament in 1995, he served as the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation (Marilyn Mushinski); Minister of Transportation (1997-1999); Minister of the Environment (1999-2000); Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing (1999-2001); and Minister of Health and Long-term Care (2001-2003).

In 2006, Mr. Clement was elected to the Canadian House of Commons for the Parry Sound-Muskoka riding. He served as Minister of Health (2006-2008) and Minister of Industry (2008-).

Corporate body · fl. 1848-1879

The Cobourg and Rice Lake Road Company built, maintained and collected tolls for a road between Cobourg and Rice Lake, Northumberland County, Ontario.

The Cobourg and Rice Lake Road Company was sometimes referred to as the Cobourg and Rice Lake Gravel Road and Ferry Company. The company also operated a steamboat ferry and a horse boat ferry at Gores Landing on Rice Lake.

Person · 1814-1898

William Colquhoun (1814-1898) was a businessman and politician in Stormont County, Ontario during the late nineteenth century.

Colquhoun was born in Charlottenburgh, Stormont County, in 1814. In the early 1840's, he and partner, William D. Mattice, opened a general merchandise store on Dickinson's Landing near Osnabruck, Stormont County.

In addition to his business interests, Colquhoun was active in both local and provincial politics. At various times, he served as treasurer, reeve, postmaster, and school trustee of Osnabruck Township. Colquhoun was also the Conservative member of the Ontario Legislative Assembly for Stormont, 1867- 1872.

In the 1870's, Colquhoun retired from his Dickson's Landing business and moved to Cornwall. There, he was mayor in 1881, 1882 and 1883.

Corporate body · 1866

The Committee of Safety was an ad hoc citizens' committee established in Welland, Ontario on 1 June 1866 in response to the reported invasion of Fenians at Fort Erie earlier on 1 June 1866.

The Committee remained in permanent session from the late afternoon of 1 June 1866 until the following morning on 2 June 1866. Its appointed members were T. W. Hooker, John Helluns, A. G. Hill, E. B. Dewhurst, L. D. Raymond, and I. P. Willson. T. W. Hooker was appointed chairman, and I. P. (Isaac Pemberton) Willson was appointed secretary. The Committee's main actions were to send out patrol scouts to gather and report back information on the whereabouts and activities of the Fenians.

Isaac Pemberton Willson was born in Welland County and served as a clerk of the County Court in Welland.

E.R. Dewhurst was the editor of the Welland Telegraph, the local newspaper.

Conant, Gordon, 1885-1953
Person · 1885-1953

The Hon. Gordon Daniel Conant (1885-1953) was a lawyer, a Mayor of Oshawa, and Premier of Ontario from 1942 to 1943.

He was born at Cedar Dale, East Whitby Township (now part of the Township of Oshawa). He was educated at Oshawa High School., and the University of Toronto. He was called to the bar in 1912 and practised law at Oshawa. In 1933, he was made a K.C. In 1913, he married Verna Rowena Smith, and the couple had three children.

He began his political career on the municipal level as Deputy Reeve of Oshawa in 1914, Reeve of Oshawa in 1915, and Mayor of Oshawa in 1916 and 1917. Conant was also active in local commissions and associations, including the Board of Water Commissioners of Oshawa, the Board of Trustees of the Oshawa General Hospital, the Oshawa Rotary Club, the Public Utilities Commission of Oshawa, and the Oshawa Chamber of Commerce.

He was also involved in the affairs of the Liberal Party, acting as President of the Liberal Club Federation of Ontario, and Secretary of the Ontario County Liberal Association. In 1934, Conant was appointed Crown Attorney for Ontario County.

In 1937 he won the seat of Ontario County in the Ontario Legislative Assembly and was immediately appointed Attorney General in the Mitchell Hepburn Cabinet. In October, 1942, Hepburn resigned as Premier and choose Conant as his successor. Conant served until May, 1943, and did not contest the leadership in the Liberal Convention which followed. In June, 1943, he was appointed Master of the Supreme Court of Ontario and held that position until 1951. In 1944, the University of Toronto presented Conant with an honorary degree.

Connon (family)
Family

The Connon family were resident in Elora, Ontario in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. They operated a general store and a photographic studio.

Connon, John R., 1862-1931
Person · 1862-1931

John R. Connon (1862-1931) was a professional photographer and inventor of photographic equipment active in Elora, Ontario in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

John R. Connon was born in 1862, the son of Thomas Connon and his wife Jean Keith (d. 1909). Connon spent most of his life in Elora (with the exception of a year in New York City 1890-1891) and followed his father's footsteps as a pioneer photographer and inventor of photographic equipment. In 1887 he invented the panoramic camera, in which the lens rotated at a speed equal to that of the film (which went in the opposite direction). With the invention of this camera came the principle of placing film rolls in the front corners of the camera. Connon also took pictures using the very first transparent film, sold in New York in 1890.

John R. Connon had an intense interest in local history. In 1906 he began work on a history of Elora, originally titled Early History of Elora and Vicinity (later Elora) that was completed in 1930 (and later reprinted by Sir Wilfrid Laurier University in 1974). The book contained various photographs taken by both Connon and his father, and is available at the Archives of Ontario Library. John R. Connon died in 1931.

Connon, Thomas, 1832-1899
Person · 1832-1999

Thomas Connon (1832-1899) was a professional photographer active in Elora, Ontario between 1859 and 1899.

Thomas Connon was born in Scotland in 1832, and emigrated to Canada in 1852, settling in Elora, Ontario. Connon developed an interest in art early in his life and did a number of drawings and paintings. In 1851, after reading about developments in photography at the Great London Exhibition, Connon began to take photographs. In 1859 he developed an interest in commercial photography, operating out of his Elora general store. Connon sold the store in 1867 and returned to Europe, visiting family in Scotland and attending the Paris Exhibition. After returning to Elora, Connon focused exclusively on photography. He opened a studio, built cameras and in 1881 invented a roll holder for cameras, which was a significant contribution to the transition from glass plate to film negatives and later incorporated into George Eastman's Kodak camera. Connon died in 1899.

Corporate body · est. 1878

The Conservative Association of the Township of Augusta was created December 17, 1878 to assist the Conservative Party in the South Riding of the County of Grenville, Ontario.