Showing 19543 results

People and organizations

Adams, Ellen C., 1925-1982

  • Person

Ellen C. Adams (1925-1982), was born in Germany and emigrated to Canada in 1948. Her original name was Cammnitzer, which she changed during an election campaign in 1963. Adams was a member of the administrative staff of the Canadian Co-operative Federation and later served for twenty years as assistant to Ontario New Democratic Party leaders Donald MacDonald and Stephen Lewis. She was twice unsuccessful in provincial elections (1963, 1973) running under the NDP banner. Adams was also influential in Toronto municipal politics as a leader in the Stop Spadina (Expressway) movement, executive of the Avenue-Bay Cottingham Ratepayers' Association, and as a founding executive member of the Confederation of Residents' and Ratepayers' Associations. In 1975 Adams took up a position in the Institutional Branch of the Ontario Ombudsman's Office.

Adams, George Kenneth Baker, d. 1932

  • Person
  • d. 1932

George Kenneth Baker Adams, (d. 1932), was a Methodist minister in Western Canada and Ontario. George Adams migrated from England to Port Carling (Ontario) at age 14. He became a Methodist probationer in 1878 and was ordained as a Methodist minister in 1881. He served churches in Western Canada and Ontario until his retirement in 1927. He also served a term as President of the Manitoba Conference.

Adams, H.D.

  • Person

H.D. Admas was a pigeon racing enthusiast and a local member of the Canadian Tippler Association.

Adams, J. Basil (1913-1999)

  • Person
  • 1913-1999

John Basil Adams (1913-1999) was a United Church of Canada minister. Born in Mainsville, Ontario, Adams obtained his B.A. from Queen's University, his B.D. from Queen's Theological College and his masters' degree from McGill University. He was ordained by Montreal & Ottawa Conference in 1943. He served the following charges: Aylwin (Que.), 1943-1944; Oxford Mills (Ont.), 1944-1947; South Mountain, (Ont.), 1947-1950; Elgin (Ont.), 1950-1953. He joined the Royal Canadian Chaplain Corps in 1953. After retiring from the military in 1968, he founded and served as the first director of COHR (Counselling and Human Relations Institute). He retired in 1988.

J. Basil Adams died on October 8, 1999.

Adams, John Gordon

  • Person

John Gordon Adams was the husband of Myrtle Reynolds Adams.

Adams, Kenneth Frederick, b. 1903

  • Person

Rear Admiral Kenneth Frederick Adams (b. 1903) served in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) from 1928 until 1958, was responsible for the establishment of the Royal Canadian Navy Reserve (RCN(R)) Headquarters in Hamilton, and was in command of the RCN(R) for five years. Born in Victoria, BC, Adams graduated from the Royal Naval College of Canada in 1922. He joined the RCN(R) in 1928 and a few months later transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) as a Lieutenant. He served on the destroyer HMCS Vancouver and saw service overseas in ships and establishments of the Royal Navy until 1931, when Adams returned to Canada for two years' service on the destroyer HMCS Skeena. In December 1935, he was appointed First Lieutenant of the destroyer HMCS St. Laurent. Shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War, he was appointed to HMCS Stadacona (the RCN barracks at Halifax). He was serving as Executive Officer of the barracks when he was promoted to the acting rank of Commander in July 1940, and then was confirmed in rank in January, 1941. From April until December 1941, Adams was in command of the auxiliary cruiser HMCS David. He then returned to Halifax as Commanding Officer of the RCN barracks. Between February and December, 1943, he commanded the HMC ships Assiniboine, Ottawa, and Prince Henry, then took up an appointment as Director of Warfare and Training at Naval Headquarters, Ottawa. In August of the following year, he was named Commanding Officer of the HMCS Somers Isles (the RCN's sea training base in Bermuda). Early in 1945, he commanded the HMCS Iroquois, and in July of that year, became the Commanding Officer of the HMCS Stadacona for the second time. In 1946, Adams assumed command of the HMCS Uganda, but in June 1949, he undertook the dual appointment of Deputy Chief of Naval Personnel and Director of Naval Reserves at Naval Headquarters. In September 1949, Adams was appointed command of the HMCS Magnificent, then in November 1951, he assumed command of the RCN Barracks at Esquimalt. In April 1953, when new headquarters were formed in Hamilton for the Naval Divisions and the RCN(R), Adams became the first Commanding Officer Naval Divisions (COND). He retired in 1958.

Adams, Maureen (1924 - 2011)

  • CA : RPA
  • Person
  • 1924 - 2011

Maureen Adams was a children's librarian and puppeteer who lived in Brampton. She is best known for the 1950s family troupe "The Adams Marionettes", which performed across southern Ontario.

Studying at the University of Toronto, she earned a Bachelor of the Arts and a Bachelor of Library Science, working at libraries in Niagara Falls, Welland, Saskatoon, and Leeds, England. Once in Brampton, she was a teacher-librarian at Ridgeview Public School, McHugh Public School, and Agnes Taylor Public School.

She introduced puppetry into schools as an extracurricular activity, and taught workshops in Brampton and Toronto. She was a Charter member of the Ontario Puppetry Association, member of the Puppeteers of America, and co-founded the Puppetry Guild of Halton/Peel, of which she was President. (The guild made many appearances at the Peel Heritage Complex during kid's events in the 1990s.) A member of the Brampton Arts Council, she received Arts Person of the Year from the organization in 2006.

She met her husband John Adams while in library school, and married in 1952. They had three children.

Adams, Myrtle Reynolds

  • Person
  • 1889 - 1977

Myrtle Reynolds Adams, teacher, poet and author, was born on August 10, 1889 in Strathroy, Ontario. She graduated from The University of Western Ontario with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1910 and received the Governor-General's Academic Medal in her fourth year of studies. She went on to study at Queen's University and received a Bachelor of Education in 1915. While at Queen's she met her husband John Gordon Adams, of Glenville, Ontario. They married on September 29, 1917 in London, Ontario and spent the subsequent years moving around the province before leaving the country and settling in Detroit, Michigan. The Adams' lived in Detroit for twenty two years before returning to London, permanently, in 1951.

It was while in Detroit that Myrtle Reynolds Adams' career as a professional writer began. She was an active member of the local literary scene, serving several years as president of the Detroit Women's Writers Club and twice as the poet laureate of the Michigan State Federation of Women's Clubs. Upon her move to London she became involved with the London Poetry Group and University Women's Club of London.

Her poetry was published both in literary journals and popular serials; including Atlantic, American Weave, Canadian Forum, Canadian Poetry, Dalhousie Review, Fiddlehead, Georgia Review, Good Housekeeping, Lyric, New York Herald Tribune, Saturday Night and others. Ryerson Press published three chapbooks of her poems: Remember Together (1955); Morning on my Street (1958); To Any Spring (1960) and Fiddlehead Poetry Books published, By a Laugh and a Cry (1973). Sauble Calling, a compilation of already published poems, was self published in 1962. It was illustrated by Toronto artist, Vern Tremewen. Reynolds Adams also published articles and short stories in many popular magazines and newspapers, including American Home, Better Homes and Gardens, London Free Press, Maclean's, She, Telegraph Delivery Spirit, Women by Women's Digest, Woman's Day and others.

Myrtle Reynolds Adams passed away on September 17, 1977 at the age of 88.

Adams, Peter, 1936-

  • Person

William Peter Adams (1936- ) is a former academic and politician. Born in the United Kingdom, earned his B.A. at the University of Sheffield, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. at McGill University. He is married, has four children, and lives in Peterborough. He was founder of the Department of Geography at Trent University. He was chair in that Department from 1968-1977 and remained a professor while also serving as Dean of Graduate Studies, Associate Dean of Science, Associate Vice-President, 1977-1987. He was elected M.P.P. for Peterborough, 1987-1990, and elected to the House of Commons in 1993 where he is currently serving. He has published numerous articles on the Canadian Arctic, on the environment and other geographical topics, and has written and co-authored books in the same field. He has also been significantly involved in health issues, sports and athletics.

Adamson, Anthony

  • Person
  • 1906-2002

Born in Toronto in 1906, Anthony Adamson was an architect, an author, teacher, and administrator. He studied architecture at Cambridge University and London University. After completing his education, he was an architect and architectural planner and then a professor at the University of Toronto from1955 to 1965. He served as an elected municipal official for the Township of Toronto. He was awarded honorary degrees from Queen’s University (1975) and the University of Windsor (1985). The recipient of many honours including the Order of Canada (1974) and the Gabrielle Léger Medal (1981), he contributed greatly to the architectural heritage of Ontario and to the visual and performing arts. He lobbied for the restoration of Dundurn Castle in Hamilton, Ont. and then served as General Consultant to the project which was completed in 1967. He served for several years as Chairman of the Ontario Arts Council and was a member of the Board of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Anthony Adamson died on 3 May 2002.

Adamson, Janet

  • Person

Janet Adamson was owner of Camp Gay Venture from 1973 to 2002. She has served as President of the Ontario Camping Association and on the Board of the Society of Camp Directors.

Adamson, Joseph, 1786-1852

  • Person

Dr. Joseph Adamson (1786-1852) practised medicine in Sheridan, Peel County, Ontario from 1822 to 1852.

Adath Jeshurun Congregation (Ottawa, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

The Congregation was founded in 1892, with John Dover, merchant, serving as the first President from 1890 to 1893. Other founders included Aaron Harris, manufacturer, Abraham Kranf, trader, Morris Adler, trader and Michael Fine, trader. The first Adath Jeshurun Synagogue was a small building on Murray Street in 1895. Between 1890 and 1895, religious services were conducted at the homes of Moses Bilsky and John Dover, or at the homes of the leading members of the day. In 1904 the congregation moved into a new synagogue, the King Edward Street shul. The Synagogue Building Committee was chaired by Archibald Freiman, then only 21 years of age. He presided over the Congregation from 1904 until 1930. In 1910 the Hebrew Institute was added. The Adath Jeshurun Congregation became the principal, orthodox congregation of the Ottawa Jewish community during the first half of the twentieth century. When the Diamond Jubilee was celebrated in 1952, two of the original, congregation members, Jacob Freedman and Bernard Smith were part of the festivities. Ottawa born David Petegorsky, Executive Director, American Jewish Congress, was the guest speaker at the anniversary banquet. In 1956, Adath Jeshurun Congregation, along with Agudath Achim Congregation, joined together to form the Beth Shalom Congregation on Chapel Street. The first Cantor and Shochet was Rev. Jacob Mirsky who served the congregation from 1892 until 1942, followed by Rev. Joseph Rabin, and Rev. Harry Weissbord. Rabbi Simon Fyne served from 1912-1920, followed by Rabbi Max Mintz, Rabbi Dr. Julius Leikin, Rabbi Nathan Kollin and United Synagogue Rabbis Abraham H. Freedman, William Margolis, Oscar Z. Fasman, Emanuel L. Lifschutz and Simon L. Eckstein. Benjamin Pearl served as Congregation Secretary from 1912 to 1948 when he was succeeded by Herman Roodman.

Adath Shalom Congregation (Ottawa, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

The idea for an egalitarian Conservative synagogue was initiated by Rabbi Roy Tannenbaum, formerly of Agudath Israel Congregation. Early supporters included Morris and Leah Schnitzer. Steve and Chris Sugar, Irwin and Fenja Brodo. By September, 1979, Adath Shalom was officially affiliated with the United Synagogue Of America (now called the United Synagogues of Conservative Judaism), and it was welcomed as a member of the Jewish Community Council of Ottawa. The first service was held on July 22, 1978 at the Greenbank Public School library and the first president, Michael Berns, was elected in August, 1978. Prayer books were stored in Greenbank School lockers and the Sefer Torah was initially borrowed from Beth Shalom Synagogue. The ark and bimah were stored in the school’s storage area. Other space was rented for High Holidays. Founding principles included more equal participation of women in the service and eventually women were counted as part of the minyan by February, 1982. Only after a number of years and many different chazanim and rabbis did the congregants take on the responsibility of leasing services for the High Holy Days. At the Annual General Meeting in 1990, the congregation approved a move to the Broadview Campus of the Jewish Community Centre and the first service was held at Hillel Academy chapel in 1993.

Adco Explorations Ltd

  • Corporate body

Adco Explorations Ltd. was a geological consulting firm operating in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A.

Results 101 to 120 of 19543