Showing 647 results

People and organizations
Corporate body · 1949-

Founded May 1 1949, the Canadian League for the Liberation of the Ukraine (C.L.L.U.) worked to provide material and moral support for achieving the freedom of the Ukraine from the control of the Soviet Union.

The C.L.L.U. aimed to popularize the idea of the Ukraine's independence, and to combat Communist doctrine, ideology and activities. Additionally, it sought to foster a spirit of loyalty to Canada among its members. The C.L.L.U. had branches throughout Canada, and held provincial conferences and national conventions of its members. It published numerous titles on various issues related to its mandate.

Corporate body · est. 1951

The Women's Association of the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine (W.A.C.L.L.U.) was organized in 1951 to support the aims of the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine by promoting the League's objectives in women's organizations, and became an independent body in 1967.

The W.A.C.L.L.U. also aimed to contribute to the Canadian League for the Liberation of Ukraine's objectives by educating their children to value their Ukranian heritage. It published books and pamphlets in English in order to communicate its goals.

Corporate body

The Ontario Division of the Canadian Mental Health Association was established in 1952 for the purposes of fighting mental illness, preventing metal illness, and promoting good mental health.

Corporate body · 1881-

The Canadian Pacific Railway Company was responsible for the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The company was incorporated in 1881 and has also had interests in settlement, tourism and communications.

Canadian War Memorials Fund
Corporate body · est. 1916

The Canadian War Memorials Fund was established in November 1916, by Sir Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, to enhance Canada's participation in the war effort. The CWMF was administered by the Canadian War Records Office, and was a direct response to the need for war documentation for both the British and Canadian publics.

The Canadian War Records Office was established by Lord Beaverbrook as a way to document Canadian participation in World War I with the blessing of the Dominion Archivist, Arthur Doughty. When a shortage of photographic depictions of battles etc occurred, Beaverbrook hired artists and illustrators to document significant events. This eventually led to the hiring of both British and Canadian artists, and to the creation hundreds of oil paintings, sketches and watercolours of the front in Europe, as well as the home front. These works were exhibited in London in 1919 as the Canada War Memorials Exhibition. The majority of this material is now held by the Canadian War Museum.

Cancer Care Ontario
Corporate body · 1943-

Cancer Care Ontario is the provincial agency responsible for continually improving cancer services since 1943 for Ontario residents.

Cancer Care Ontario was established in 1943 as the Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation (OCTRF) after the implementation of the Cancer Act, earlier that year. The object of the Foundation was to centralize cancer care in Ontario by establishing and conducting a program of research, diagnosis and treatment in cancer, which included opening cancer clinics across the province. The first clinic opened at the Kingston General Hospital in 1947, and brought together many disciplines of cancer care under one roof including radiotherapists, cancer surgeons and specialists. By 1954 there were clinics in Hamilton, Ottawa, Windsor and Port Arthur, and later on clinics were added in Toronto and Sudbury.

OCTRF was a leader in providing breakthrough cancer treatment for Ontario patients. In 1951, the world’s first commercial Cobalt-60 beam therapy unit was installed in London, Ontario and later on that year, London’s Victoria Hospital became the first to treat a patient with this technology, which involved gamma radiation from the Colbalt-60 isotope. OCTRF also established a therapeutic drug plan in 1960 in order to help those patients who could not afford expensive chemotherapy and other cancer treatment drugs.

OCTRF was also committed to developing and promoting cancer clinical trials in the province. In 1982 all of the cancer centres were brought together to create the Ontario Clinical Oncology Group, an affiliate organization which would focus on developing, coordinating and promoting cancer clinical trials throughout Ontario’s regional cancer centres and the Princess Margaret Hospital. The objective of this group was to conduct research that would impact on and improve patient care.

OCTRF also launched the first organized breast cancer screening program, the Ontario Breast Screening Program, in 1990. The program provides breast-screening services to women over 50 years old free of charge at screening sites across the province.

In 1996 the Ontario Minister of Health appointed a transition team to implement a new provincial framework for cancer care. This new framework included the transformation of the Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation into Cancer Care Ontario, an agency with a stronger and more comprehensive mandate to improve cancer services across the province. The agency's name was officially changed on April 29, 1997 and took on the task of coordinating and integrating cancer treatment services.

Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) is classified as an Operational Service agency of the Ontario Government and reports to the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care. Continuing to operate under the Cancer Act, Cancer Care Ontario acts as the government’s principal advisor on cancer care with the mission to improve the performance of the cancer system by driving quality, accountability and innovation in all cancer-related services. CCO continues to run the Ontario Breast Screening Program as well as the Ontario Cervical Screening Program. CCO also monitors and reports cancer cases through the Ontario Cancer Registry, monitors wait times and other quality indicators, is responsible for initiatives like the New Drug Funding Program and assists other cancer providers in cancer care to create Regional Cancer Programs.

The Board of Directors, including the Chair and Vice-Chairs are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

CARFAC Ontario
Corporate body · 1968-

CARFAC Ontario is a provincial affiliate of CARFAC (Canadian Artists' Representation / le Front des artistes canadiens), founded in 1968 as an association of professional visual and media artists who represent the legal and economic rights of visual artists.

Canadian Artists' Representation (CAR) was founded in London, Ontario in 1968 by artist Jack Chambers as a professional association of Canadian artists.

The aim of the association was, and continues to be, to improve the financial and professional status of visual artists in Canada on local, provincial and national levels. In 1974, Canadian Artists' Representation Ontario (CARO), now known as CARFAC Ontario, was provincially incorporated as a non-profit organization and in 1978, the national organization was incorporated as CARFAC (Canadian Artists' Representation/le Front des artistes canadiens).

With headquarters in Toronto, CARFAC Ontario is artist-run and serves as the representative of visual artists in the province, with a particular emphasis on their economic and legal rights. The organization provides advice and support in artists' negotiations with individuals and institutions and provides educational services to the broader public through publications on creator's rights in arts production. Membership is broadly based and includes artists working in all media.

The structure of the organization consists of a Board of Directors elected by the members at its annual general meeting. The day to day business is managed by an Executive Director, reporting to the Board of Directors. Special initiatives and other activities are carried out through committees and task forces established by the Board of Directors.

Carnegie (family)
Family

Originally from Scotland, the Carnegie family came to Upper Canada in the early nineteenth century, where two of its members served as Conservative politicians in Ontario.

Person · 1865-1937

John Hilliard Carnegie (1865-1937) was a farmer and an Ontario Conservative politician representing East Victoria during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

John Hilliard Carnegie (1865-1937) was born at Peterborough to John Carnegie (1837-1910) and Eleanor Hilliard. He attended High School in Peterborough, then studied at the Guelph Agricultural College, and finally in Scotland. Carnegie settled at Indian Point, Balsam Lake (in Victoria County south of Coboconk) working as a stock farmer until 1909. In the 1894 Ontario general election he was elected as a Conservative for East Victoria, and was subsequently re-elected in 1899, 1902, 1905 and in 1908. In 1897 he married E.J. (Jennie) Laurie (d. 1904) and had a daughter Frances (b. 1898) and a son John (b. 1899). Carnegie remarried in 1907 to Edith Rennie. In 1909 Carnegie gave up farming and moved to Toronto, where he died in 1937.

Carnegie, John, 1775-1843
Person · 1775-1843

John Carnegie (1775-1843) was a magistrate, and lived in Edrom, Scotland during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century.

He married Jessie Skirving in 1800, and they had four boys - James in 1800, David in 1804, John in 1805 and George in 1808. There is a possibility they had a fifth boy, Adam, who died in 1824, but this has not been verified. His third son John (1805-1871) immigrated to Canada in 1833.

Carnegie, John, 1805-1871
Person · 1805-1871

John Carnegie (1805-1871) was born in Edrom, Scotland and came to Canada in 1833, settling in Douro Township (Peterborough County), Upper Canada.

John married Charlotte Cady Thompson in 1833, and they had two children, Charlotte Erskin (b. 1839) and son John (1837-1910) who became a municipal and provincial politician.

Carnegie, John, 1837-1910
Person · 1837-1910

John Carnegie (1837-1910) was a municipal and provincial politician representing Peterboro West, Director of the County Agricultural Society, Director of the Ontario Mutual Assurance Company, and joint editor and proprietor of two newpapers.

He was born in Douro Township, Peterborough County, to John Carnegie and Charlotte Thompson. He attended Peterborough Grammar School and High School in Brantford, Ontario. After relocating to Peterborough he married Eleanor Hilliard in 1858, and had a single son John (1865-1937), and a daughter Catherine Charlotte Carnegie (1859-1910).

Carnegie was first elected to the Douro Township Municipal Council in 1859, serving on council from 1859-1866, the final three years as Reeve. From 1867-1871 and in 1883 he sat in the Ontario Legislature as Member for Peterboro West. He was the Secretary-Treasurer of the County Agricultural Society, later becoming a Director from 1859 to ca. 1871. As well, Carnegie was joint editor and proprietor of the Peterborough "Review" and of the Canada "Lumberman." He served as a Director of the Ontario Mutual Assurance Company, and had an interest in the Auburn Woolen Mills. He died in 1910 in Guelph, Ontario.

Carr, Douglas, 1910-1994
Person · 1910-1994

Douglas Moser Carr was a world traveller and life long resident of Ingersoll, Ontario.

He was born on December 26, 1910 in Blyth, Ontario to Alfred Franklin and Emma Moser Carr and moved to Ingersoll with his family in 1920. His parents owned and operated Carr's Book and China Shop on Main Street in Ingersoll, which Douglas and his brother took over upon their father's retirement in 1952.

Carr managed the Agnew-Surpass Shoe Store in Ingersoll from 1929 to 1937. In 1937, he endeavoured to travel to England for the Coronation of King George VI. After arriving in the United Kingdom, he developed the idea of travelling around the world. From 1937 to 1939, he traveled throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and North America, mainly by bicycle. It has been written that he was the first person to cycle the length of Africa.

Upon his return to Ingersoll, after the outbreak of the Second World War, he developed a slide presentation entitled "Thirty Moons Around the World." From 1939 to 1942, he delivered his talk to church and community groups as well as resuming his work at the Agnew-Surpass Shoe Store. In 1942 he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) and served as a radar mechanic in France and Germany. In 1946 he was discharged from the R.C.A.F. and returned to Ingersoll.

He died on June 14, 1994.

Cartwright (family)
Family

The Cartwright family were businessmen and politicians active in the Kingston, Ontario area from the 1780s to the present.

Person · 1808-1887

Harriet Dobbs (1808-1887) came to Upper Canada from Ireland with her husband, Robert D. Cartwright (1804-1843), where she became deeply involved with the Female Benevolent Society in Kingston.

Harriet Dobbs was born in Dublin on 27 August 1808 to Maria Sophia and Conway Edward Dobbs. She was one of eight children in her family. She and Robert David Cartwright were married in Dublin on 21 November 1832. She joined the Female Benevolent Society which had been providing the only hospital care for the poor in Kingston since 1820. She raised money for the Society and organized the first FBS school in 1834. In 1839 she reorganized the FBS as "a society for giving out work to employ the poor by directing industry into the right channels." And in 1840 the FBS became active in the fight for temperance. A second hospital was opened in 1842. Following the typhus epidemic of 1847, the FBS formed the Widows' and Orphans' Friends Society, later changed to the Orphans' Home and Widows' Friend Society, for which Harriet Cartwright served as secretary for 31 years. In her final years Harriet was planning to establish a kindergarten. Her involvement with the FBS included caring for women in the provincial penitentiary, which opened in 1835. Harriet Dobbs Cartwright died at Portsmouth (now part of Kingston) on 14 May 1887.

Person · 1804-1845

John Solomon Cartwright (1804-1845) was a lawyer in Kingston, Ontario during the early nineteenth century, who also became deeply involved in banking, real estate, and politics.

He was born in Kingston on 17 September 1804 to Richard Cartwright and Magdalen Secord. He married Sarah Hayter Macaulay on 11 January 1831 in York. Educated at Kingston, John went to York in 1820 and entered the law office of John Beverley Robinson. He was called to the bar in 1825. In 1827, following the death of his mother, John travelled to England. Following tours in Switzerland and Scotland, John returned in Kingston in 1830 and resumed his law practice. Cartwright became deeply involved in banking, real estate business and politics. He presided over the Commercial Bank of the Midland District from 1832 until his death. In 1834 Cartwright entered politics, unsuccessfully contesting the seat of Lennox and Addington. A second attempt in 1836 met with success and Cartwright continued to represent the constituency until his death. He was a freemason, becoming senior warden of Ancient St. John's Lodge No. 3, Kingston. Cartwright was also interested in architecture, hiring or influencing the hiring of George Browne and Thomas Rogers to construct town houses, the Rockwood estate, the Commercial Bank building in Kingston and the St. Mary Magdalene Church in Napanee among others. He died at Rockwood, on the Cartwright estate, on 15 January 1845.

Person · 1759-1815

Richard Cartwright (1759-1815) came to Upper Canada from the United States, where he served in the military and became involved in various business ventures, including the purchase of the Kingston Gazette to which he contributed articles under the pseudonym "Falkland".

He was born at Albany, New York, on 2 February 1759 to Richard Cartwright and Joanne Beasley. Richard emigrated to British Canada in 1777 following the American War of Independence. He became secretary to John Butler, major commandant of a loyalist regiment based at Fort Niagara. Cartwright spent 1778 and 1779 on military expeditions into northern New York. In 1780 he left the military and entered a business partnership with Robert Hamilton. The business tapped into the fur trade as well as the supply of British garrisons. Cartwright diversified into flour mills in Napanee, local manufacturing - making canvas for the Royal Navy during the War of 1812, and purchasing the Kingston Gazette, to which he contributed articles under the pseudonym "Falkland." In c. 1784 Cartwright married Magdalen Secord of Kingston, and they had eight children over the course of their marriage. The two eldest sons, James and Richard, died in 1811 followed by Hannah and the third son, Stephen. Surviving offspring were Mary Magdalen, Thomas Robison, Robert David and John Solomon (twins). Mary married Captain Alexander Thomas Dobbs of the Royal Navy in 1814, Thomas died in 1826, Robert became an Anglican minister and the father of Sir Richard John Cartwright, and John became a Kingston lawyer and politician. Richard Cartwright died in Kingston, 27 July 1815.

Person · 1835-1912

Sir Richard John Cartwright (1835-1912) was a politician from Kingston, Ontario, who became Minister of Finance, Minister of Trade and Commerce, and was appointed to the Senate in 1904.

He was born in Kingston in 1835, and educated in Dublin. He was elected in 1863 as the Tory member for Lennox and Addington, which his uncle, John Solomon Cartwright had held until 1845. In 1869 Cartwright crossed the floor to join the Liberal party, then in opposition. From 1873 to 1878, Cartwright held the Finance portfolio in the Mackenzie administration. He returned to Cabinet in 1896 and became the Minister of Trade and Commerce. He was appointed to the Senate in 1904 and died in 1912.

Person · 1804-1843

Robert David Cartwright (1804-1843) was an Anglican minister in Kingston, Ontario during the early nineteenth century.

He was born in Kingston on 17 September, 1804 to Richard Cartwright and Magdalen Secord (Robert was John Solomon's twin brother). He received his theological education at Oxford in the late 1820s. He was ordained as an Anglican minister on 29 March, 1829. On 21 November, 1832, he married Harriet Dobbs in Dublin, and returned to Kingston with her on 5 June, 1833. Cartwright was Minister at St. George's Church there for a number of years. He died at Kingston on 24 May, 1843.

Cassidy, Michael, 1937-
Person · 1937-

Michael Morris Cassidy (1937-) is a journalist and politician in Ontario, and a former head of the Ontario New Democratic Party.

He was born in Victoria, British Columbia, and was educated at local Toronto schools, the Petit Seminaire de Quebec, the University of Toronto, and the London School of Economics. In 1961 he married Maureen Kathleen Waddington. Cassidy was later appointed Bureau Chief of the Financial Times in Ottawa, and Assistant Professor of Journalism at Carleton University from 1970 to 1971. He was also an Ottawa City Alderman from 1970 to 1972, a Member of the Ontario Legislative Assembly from 1971 to 1981, and Leader of the Ontario New Democratic Party from 1978 to 1981.