The Addington District was comprised of numerous Branches over the years. The following are Branches which were within the Addington District and each corresponding date of creation and disbandment: Enterprise 1914-1930, Yarker-Colebrook 1927-1959, Newburgh 1929-1947, Fifth Lake 1935-1936, Centreville 1951-1953, Croydon 1923-1944, Moscow 1923-1991, Camden East 1927-present, Tamworth 1921-2004, Reidville 1928-present, Cloyne 1935-1983, and Denbigh 1951-[post 1984, prior 1993]. Addington District was occasionally referred to as South Addington District in the early Minute and Cash Books. Addington District amalgamated with Lennox to form the Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute in 1993. The main responsibility of the Addington District Women’s Institute was to oversee the finances of each Branch under its jurisdiction and to hold annual meetings, as well as monthly Directors’ and Executive meetings. Much of the fonds consists of materials from the last six Branches: Moscow, Camden East, Tamworth, Reidville, Cloyne, and Denbigh. Beyond the financial reports, many of the documents pertain to discussions regarding Home Economics and Health, Tweedsmuir Histories, Historical Research and Current Events, Resolutions, Citizenship and Education, Agriculture and Canadian Industries, and Public Relations. The fonds presents many significant events and issues for Addington District. In 1927, it was moved to have the Secretary approach the Provincial Board about joining Belleville instead of Ottawa, a resolution passed asking for fairer representation at the Provincial Board. Many other resolutions were passed through the years, such as to promote large print in legal documents, to approach the government about the need for seat belts, and to protest the Liquor Control Board against issuing any licenses to Cloyne or the District. The group attending the 1928 District Annual decided to have an exhibit at the Centreville Fair and participated for many years. This District was involved in hosting many “Short Courses” and district-wide projects, such as emergency knitting. They supported the local 4-H Club, the Central War Fund, and various aspects of the Women’s Institute. A committee was formed to study all aspects for a home for the aged in the Lennox and Addington County region, and to ask Council to do the same. Often, local school classes would entertain the ladies during their annual meeting by singing. The Tweedsmuirs of Addington District contain information on District Annual meetings and information on the individual Branches. Addington District has produced one Tweedsmuir, which ranges from 1914-1993. The Tweedsmuir District Curators were Mrs. Harold Brown (1963-1967) and Mrs. Allan Carroll (1967-1976). It contains lists of the District history, District officers, District presidents and secretary-treasurers, Conveners of standing committees, condensed histories for each Branch, projects and special events by the District, and summaries from meetings (including dates and locations). There are also programmes, photographs, and newspaper clippings. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Addington District were: Mrs. A.E. Hoffman (1927-1930), Mrs. N. (Josie) Boyce (1930-1931), Mrs. W.W. Redden (1932-1934), Mrs. A Robinson (1934-1936), Mrs. George (Lillian) Walker (1935-1937), Mrs. T. (Jennie) Scanlin (1937-1939), Mrs. James (Rhoda) Milligan (1939-1941), Mrs. C.A. (Florence) Baker (1941-1943), Mrs. E. Boyce (1943-1944), Mrs. Ted Allore (1945-1947), Mrs. H. (Marion) Easterbrook (1947-1949), Mrs. Don (Jessie) Hannah (1949-1951), Mrs. C. (May) Hyland (1951-1953), Mrs. W.K. (Marion) Huffman (1953-1955), Mrs. P. (Helen) Galbraith (1955-1957), Mrs. A. (Roxie) Bauder (1957-1960), Mrs. Nelson (Ruby) Kennedy (1960-1963), Mrs. Allan (Coral) Carroll (1963-1966), Mrs. E. (Eleanor) Nowell (1966-1969), Mrs. Garnet (Helen) Wilkes (1969-1972), Mrs. Hugh (Cora) Reid (1972-1975), Mrs. Duane (Elaine) Williams (1975-1977), Mrs. James (Vera) Holmes (1977-1979), Mrs. Norman (Ella) Inwood (1979-1983), Mrs. M.E. (Eleanor) Kingsbury (1983-1986), Mrs. Douglas (Helen) Brown (1986-1989), Mrs. Corolyn Lawlor (1989-1991), and Mrs. Joy Lloyd (1992-1993). NOTES Information in the Administrative Sketch was derived from: the fonds, Fifty Years of Achievement / The Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – Ontario Women’s Institute Story / Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario. – “Adelaide Hoodless” from Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online <www.biographi.ca/index-e.html>. – “Social Control or Social Feminism? Two Views of the Ontario Women’s Institute” from Agricultural History / Linda Ambrose and Margaret Kechnie. – “‘But on the Farm… Feminism Means Something Else’: Ontario Farm Women and Feminism, 1900-1970” Thesis from Queen’s University, Library and Archives Canada / Monda Halpern. – Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario website <www.fwio.on.ca>.