Showing 19477 results

People and organizations

Abramson, Albert, 1923-2006

  • Person

Albert Abramson was born on January 14th, 1923, in London, Ontario. He attended the University of Western Ontario and was later admitted to Osgoode Hall Law School. He was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1968 and practiced law in Toronto. He was appointed a Queen's Counsel in 1982. Abramson died on May 15th, 2006.

Academy of Medicine Ottawa

  • Corporate body

The Academy of Medicine was founded on March 20, 1874, as the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society. Its current name, the Academy of Medicine Ottawa, was adopted on December 30, 1946. This association of medical doctors met regularly since the 1870's to study issues of mutual concern and to discuss medical papers, many of them presented by invited lecturers from abroad.

Acadian Club (Waterloo, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

The Acadian Club in Waterloo, Ontario was a social club for single and married men of German background. On May 5, 1916, the club rooms were raided by members of the 118th Batallion for the purpose of removing a bust of the Kaiser and in the course of the raid the club sustained damage to property and premises. The Club submitted a claim for damages to the government which, like the claim made by the Concordia Club of Kitchener for damages sustained during a previous raid by the 118th Batallion on Feb. 16 of the same year, was rejected.

Académie Saint-Joseph de Hearst

  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1992

The Saint-Joseph Academy of Hearst [Académie SaintJoseph de Hearst] greeted its first students in September 1956. At the request of Bishop Louis Levesque, the Sisters of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin [Sœurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge], a religious community established in Hearst since 1941, opened this French private secondary boarding school for young women. Initially, courses were offered on the premises of the Maison Sainte-Thérèse, also known as "LaGrange" and at the Saint-Joseph Convent. In March 1962, the Academy moved into a new building adjacent to the Saint-Joseph Convent (North side).

Like many private French secondary schools in the province, the Saint-Joseph Academy closed its doors following the creation, in 1968, of a French public secondary school system, in Ontario. In 1972, the Conseil des écoles séparées de Hearst purchased the building and incorporated it to SaintJacques elementary school. The following year, the Saint-Joseph Convent, built in 1921, was demolished. Known since 1986 as le Pavillon Notre-Dame, this school is now led by the Conseil scolaire catholique de district des Grandes Rivières.

In 1992, a plaque was inaugurated on the site formerly occupied by the Saint-Joseph Convent.

Results 81 to 100 of 19477