Showing 17494 results

People and organizations

Abramov, Ayala Zacks, 1912-

  • Person

Sam and Ayala Zacks were prominent Canadian art collectors of international repute active in the mid-20th century whose gifts form the basis of the modern European art collection at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Ayala Ben Tovim Fleg Zacks Abramov (1912-) was born in Jerusalem and educated in Israel, Paris and London. In 1938 she married Maurice Fleg in Paris, and joined the French Resistance after her husband died in action in1940. Active in Zionist circles after the war, she met Sam Zacks in Switzerland. Samuel J. Zacks (1904-1970) was a financier, Zionist and art collector, born in Kingston Ontario and educated at Queen’s University and Harvard. Following their marriage in 1947 they immediately began to collect art of the School of Paris as well as Canadian and Israeli art and antiquities, amassing an extensive collection by the late 1950’s that was in continual demand by museums around the world. In 1956 a collection of Canadian art was donated to Queen’s University, Mr. Zack’s alma mater, the first of many significant gifts to institutions in Israel and Canada including the Hazor Archaeological Museum, the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario. Mr. and Mrs. Zacks were both involved in international art circles, sitting on the Boards of the International Committee of Museums (ICOM), a branch of UNESCO, the International Committee of the Museum of Modern Art, the Art Gallery of Ontario and others. In 1969 Mr. Zacks received an Honourary Fellowship from St. Peter’s College, Oxford. He died in 1970 in Toronto. After his death, Ayala Zacks was awarded the Order of Canada and an honourary degree from the University of Toronto. She married Zalman Abramov, an Israeli lawyer and politician in 1976 and moved permanently to Israel in 1982.

Abramson, Albert, 1923-2006

  • Person

Albert Abramson was born on January 14th, 1923, in London, Ontario. He attended the University of Western Ontario and was later admitted to Osgoode Hall Law School. He was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1968 and practiced law in Toronto. He was appointed a Queen's Counsel in 1982. Abramson died on May 15th, 2006.

Academy of Medicine Ottawa

  • Corporate body

The Academy of Medicine was founded on March 20, 1874, as the Ottawa Medico-Chirurgical Society. Its current name, the Academy of Medicine Ottawa, was adopted on December 30, 1946. This association of medical doctors met regularly since the 1870's to study issues of mutual concern and to discuss medical papers, many of them presented by invited lecturers from abroad.

Acadian Club (Waterloo, Ont.)

  • Corporate body

The Acadian Club in Waterloo, Ontario was a social club for single and married men of German background. On May 5, 1916, the club rooms were raided by members of the 118th Batallion for the purpose of removing a bust of the Kaiser and in the course of the raid the club sustained damage to property and premises. The Club submitted a claim for damages to the government which, like the claim made by the Concordia Club of Kitchener for damages sustained during a previous raid by the 118th Batallion on Feb. 16 of the same year, was rejected.

Académie Saint-Joseph de Hearst

  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1992

The Saint-Joseph Academy of Hearst [Académie SaintJoseph de Hearst] greeted its first students in September 1956. At the request of Bishop Louis Levesque, the Sisters of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin [Sœurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge], a religious community established in Hearst since 1941, opened this French private secondary boarding school for young women. Initially, courses were offered on the premises of the Maison Sainte-Thérèse, also known as "LaGrange" and at the Saint-Joseph Convent. In March 1962, the Academy moved into a new building adjacent to the Saint-Joseph Convent (North side).

Like many private French secondary schools in the province, the Saint-Joseph Academy closed its doors following the creation, in 1968, of a French public secondary school system, in Ontario. In 1972, the Conseil des écoles séparées de Hearst purchased the building and incorporated it to SaintJacques elementary school. The following year, the Saint-Joseph Convent, built in 1921, was demolished. Known since 1986 as le Pavillon Notre-Dame, this school is now led by the Conseil scolaire catholique de district des Grandes Rivières.

In 1992, a plaque was inaugurated on the site formerly occupied by the Saint-Joseph Convent.

Adams, Ellen C., 1925-1982

  • Person

Ellen C. Adams (1925-1982), was born in Germany and emigrated to Canada in 1948. Her original name was Cammnitzer, which she changed during an election campaign in 1963. Adams was a member of the administrative staff of the Canadian Co-operative Federation and later served for twenty years as assistant to Ontario New Democratic Party leaders Donald MacDonald and Stephen Lewis. She was twice unsuccessful in provincial elections (1963, 1973) running under the NDP banner. Adams was also influential in Toronto municipal politics as a leader in the Stop Spadina (Expressway) movement, executive of the Avenue-Bay Cottingham Ratepayers' Association, and as a founding executive member of the Confederation of Residents' and Ratepayers' Associations. In 1975 Adams took up a position in the Institutional Branch of the Ontario Ombudsman's Office.

Adams, George Kenneth Baker, d. 1932

  • Person
  • d. 1932

George Kenneth Baker Adams, (d. 1932), was a Methodist minister in Western Canada and Ontario. George Adams migrated from England to Port Carling (Ontario) at age 14. He became a Methodist probationer in 1878 and was ordained as a Methodist minister in 1881. He served churches in Western Canada and Ontario until his retirement in 1927. He also served a term as President of the Manitoba Conference.

Adams, H.D.

  • Person

H.D. Admas was a pigeon racing enthusiast and a local member of the Canadian Tippler Association.

Adams, J. Basil (1913-1999)

  • Person
  • 1913-1999

John Basil Adams (1913-1999) was a United Church of Canada minister. Born in Mainsville, Ontario, Adams obtained his B.A. from Queen's University, his B.D. from Queen's Theological College and his masters' degree from McGill University. He was ordained by Montreal & Ottawa Conference in 1943. He served the following charges: Aylwin (Que.), 1943-1944; Oxford Mills (Ont.), 1944-1947; South Mountain, (Ont.), 1947-1950; Elgin (Ont.), 1950-1953. He joined the Royal Canadian Chaplain Corps in 1953. After retiring from the military in 1968, he founded and served as the first director of COHR (Counselling and Human Relations Institute). He retired in 1988.

J. Basil Adams died on October 8, 1999.

Results 61 to 80 of 17494