Affichage de 647 résultats

Personne/organisation
Tucker, Albert, 1923-
Personne · 1923-

Albert Tucker (1923- ) was a Canadian historian and author of "Steam into Wilderness," a history of the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission and Ontario Northland Railway.

Albert V. Tucker taught history at the University of Western Ontario between 1959 and 1966, and at Glendon College from 1966 to 1968. He was appointed Principal of Glendon College in 1970.

McEachren, Frank, 1918-1995
Personne · 1918-1955

Frank McEachren (1918-1995) was the Chief Aide-de Camp for six Lieutenants-Governors in Ontario from 1955 to 1982.

Frank McEachren was born on June 6, 1918 in Surrey, England. He was educated at St. Andrew's College, Aurora, Ontario and attended Trinity College, University of Toronto in 1940, where he received his Bachelor of Arts. McEachren married Florence Eaton, the daughter of Lord John and Lady Eaton in 1940, and they had two children, Gilbert and Signey. Gilbert died in 1984.

McEachren joined the 48th Highlanders Regiment in 1940, and served in Sicily and Italy during W.W.II. He returned to Canada in 1944, and began work at the T. Eaton Co. as a public relations manager. In 1951, McEachren became the first director of the newly established Public Relations Office. McEachren went on to become the chairman of the Eaton Foundation, and was active in the philanthropic community in Toronto. He worked at different times as president of the Ontario Council of the St. John's Ambulance, Chairman of the Ontario Arts Council, President of the Canadian Cancer Society, President of the Canadian Opera Company, Governor of the Canadian Players Foundation, and Governor of St. Andrew's College. He was also a board member for the Toronto Board of Trade, the Canadian Public Relations Society, and the Council of Bishop Strachan School. He was named the Honorary Colonel of the 48th Highlanders.

McEachren began his career at the Office of the Lieutenant Governor as an aide in 1955. He went on to become the Chief aide-de-camp for the following Lieutenants-Governor: Louis Orville Breithaupt, John Keiller Mackay, William Earl Rowe, William Ross Macdonald, Pauline McGibbon, and John Black Aird. He retired from the position in 1982. McEachren was also appointed as Prince Andrew's official guardian while he studied at Lakefield College in Peterborough in 1977. McEachren died in April 1995.

Canadian War Memorials Fund
Collectivité · est. 1916

The Canadian War Memorials Fund was established in November 1916, by Sir Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, to enhance Canada's participation in the war effort. The CWMF was administered by the Canadian War Records Office, and was a direct response to the need for war documentation for both the British and Canadian publics.

The Canadian War Records Office was established by Lord Beaverbrook as a way to document Canadian participation in World War I with the blessing of the Dominion Archivist, Arthur Doughty. When a shortage of photographic depictions of battles etc occurred, Beaverbrook hired artists and illustrators to document significant events. This eventually led to the hiring of both British and Canadian artists, and to the creation hundreds of oil paintings, sketches and watercolours of the front in Europe, as well as the home front. These works were exhibited in London in 1919 as the Canada War Memorials Exhibition. The majority of this material is now held by the Canadian War Museum.

Lennox, E.J. (Edward James), 1854-1933
Personne · 1854-1933

E. J. Lennox (1854-1933) was a Toronto-based architect active between 1876 and 1924.

He was born 12 September 1854 in Toronto. His father, born in Antrim County near Belfast, Ireland, had a grocery business, speculated in real estate, and ran a hotel on Francis St.

E.J. Lennox was educated at Toronto grammar and Model Schools, then studied architecture at the Mechanics Institute, graduating first in his class in 1874. He apprenticed in the architectural office of architect William Irving for five years, then did an architectural tour of Europe. In 1876 Lennox entered into partnership with William Frederick McCaw. In 1881 Lennox left this partnership and established his own practice, which flourished. By 1885 his was one of the largest practices in Toronto, and in 1887 it won the competition for the new Toronto Municipal and County Buildings. In 1901 he purchased a building on Bay Street to house his firm. After W.W.I he was less active in practice on account of failing eyesight, but his firm remained open until after his death, with his son Edgar E. Lennox as a partner from 1925.

Lennox was responsible for over 75 buildings in the Toronto area, including churches, private residences, office buildings, and factories. Between 40 and 50 of these structures survive. He built houses, missions, a headquarters and a mausoleum for the Massey family, and offices and `Casa Loma' for Sir Henry Pellatt. He was known for an original adaptation of the Richardsonian Romanesque style in his public buildings, such as the Manning Arcade, the Medical Council Building, the Freehold Loan and Savings Building, old City Hall, the Beard building, the Toronto Athletic Club, and the rebuilt West Block of the Ontario Legislative Building at Queen's Park.

E.J. Lennox was a staunch Anglican, a mason, and a member of the Orange Lodge, the Board of Trade and other recreational clubs. He also served as a Toronto Transit Commissioner from 1923-1929, and on the board of the Manufacturers' Life Insurance Co. and the Manitoba Land Co.

He married Emeline Wilson and had four children: Eola Gertrude, Edgar Edward, Mabel Emeline and Edith May. When Ontario legislation was passed in 1931 for accreditation of architects, E.J. Lennox applied for and was granted this status at age 75. He died at `Lenwil' on April 16, 1933.

Arthur, Eric, 1898-1982
Personne · 1898-1982

Eric Ross Arthur (1898-1982) was born in Dunedin, New Zealand, and was one of Canada's most prominent architects and architectural historians.

Educated in England, Arthur emigrated to Canada, where he was appointed Professor of Architecture at the University of Toronto. He developed a strong interest in early Ontario architecture, and in 1932 he founded the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, to promote interest in the preservation of Ontario's architectural heritage.

Arthur wrote a number of books of architectural history, including "Toronto: No Mean City" in 1963, (later revised with Stephen Otto in 1978); "The Barn: A Vanishing Landmark in North America" (with Dudley Witney, 1972); and "From Front Street to Queen's Park" (1979). He received numerous awards for his scholarship and activism on behalf of heritage preservation, including two L.L.D's, two Gold Medals (one from the Corporation of the City of Toronto), and the Order of Canada.

Kinsey, Albert J.
Personne · fl. 1937-1946

Albert J. Kinsey was a Toronto, Ontario purchasing agent and amateur photographer.

Davis, Fred, 1896?-1963
Personne · 1896?-1963

Fredrick Robson (Fred) Davis (1896?-1963) was the first and official photographer of the Dionne quintuplets.

It is believed that Fred Davis grew up in the United States. He served for Canada in the First World War, and was wounded at Amiens. In 1919, he began his career as a photographer with the Toronto World, later working with the Mail and Empire and from 1923 with the Toronto Star. He was the staff photographer at the Star for many years as a member of its "flying squad" of reporters and freelance photographers. It was as a member of this squad that Davis travelled to Callander, Ontario on 30 May 1934 to obtain the first pictures of the newborn Dionne quintuplets.

Fred Davis remained in Callander to cover the Dionne story, and was involved in negotiating an exclusive contract for the Star, which sold exclusive international rights to NEA but retained Canadian distribution rights. This agreement and later contracts between NEA and the Official Guardians covering the period 1935 to 1939 stipulated that Davis or another photographer satisfactory to Dafoe would take the photographs of the quintuplets. In practice, this meant that Davis, who had become friends with Dafoe and at whose insistence often accompanied the doctor on his various travels, was official photographer. For his services, Davis was paid by NEA. In addition to his work as official photographer, Davis held a license from the Guardians to sell postcards and prints of the Quints in small souvenir lots. For a time he operated the Quintuplet Studio located at Simpson's in downtown Toronto. Davis was not restricted in his contract with NEA from taking freelance assignments, and in 1935, for example, he photographed the Moose River mine disaster, selling those pictures to the Associated Press.

In 1939, NEA allowed its contract to lapse, and Davis went to work for King Features Syndicate which had entered into a new contract with the Guardians. He later left King Features and in 1946 formed Canada Pictures Limited in partnership with Strathy Smith of Toronto. They operated this company until 1962, with Davis continuing to take freelance assignments such as covering the Diefenbaker election campaigns of the 1950s.

Mowat, John, 1791-1860
Personne · 1791-1860

John Mowat (1791-1860), father of Sir Oliver Mowat, came to Canada as a soldier in the early nineteenth century, and became established in business at Kingston, Ontario where he raised five children.

John Mowat (1791-1860), was born in Canisby, Scotland. In 1807 he joined the 3rd (East Kent) Regiment of Foot and served in Spain and Portugal during the Napoleonic wars, leaving his fiancee, Helen Levack in Caithness. Following the end of the war in 1814, Mowat's regiment was transported to Canada where it took part in the battle at Plattsburg, 11 September 1814. Sometime following the end of the war with America, Mowat was discharged and he entered business in Kingston.

By 1819 Mowat had established himself and married Helen on the day of her arrival in Montreal. They settled in Kingston, raising five children: Oliver (1820- 1903), George L. (1824-1871), John B. (1825-1900), Catherine (1828-1916), and Jessie Bower (1833-1913). John was a founder of Queen's University and an officer in the Kingston Field Battery.

Mowat, J. B. (John Bower), 1825-1900
Personne · 1825-1900

John Bower Mowat (1825-1900), brother to Sir Oliver Mowat, was a minister in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario and was appointed chair of Theology and Hebrew at Queen's University during the late nineteenth century.

John Bower Mowat, was born in 1825, and later entered the ministry. In 1849 he was called to St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Niagara-on-the-Lake, where he remained until 1857. At that time he was appointed to the chair of Theology and Hebrew at Queen's University, where he remained until 1900. Edinburgh University conferred the degree of Doctor of Divinity on him.

John Bower Mowat married Janet McGill in 1854. She died ten days after giving birth to Robert McGill in 1856. John married Emma McDonald, daughter of the Hon. John McDonald of Ganonoque. Children of this second marriage: Herbert (1862-1928), Evalyn Lillian (1865-1955?), Henrietta Ethelwyn (1868- 1928), and John McDonald (1872-1916). John Bower Mowat died on 16 July 1900.

Cameron, Malcolm, 1808-1876
Personne · 1808-1876

Malcolm Cameron (1808-1876) was a politician in Upper Canada and Canada West from 1837 to 1867, and federally after Confederation.

Malcolm Cameron was born in Trois Rivieres, Lower Canada, on April 25, 1808 to Angus Cameron and Euphemia McGregor. When he was young he moved to Upper Canada, settling in the Perth area and opening a general store in 1828. He also undertook a newspaper, the Bathurst Courier, in 1834. In 1835 he began to move his interests to the Sarnia area, but was elected as a moderate reformer to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada for Lanark in 1836. His volatile political career spanned four decades, and he was noted for his tendency to rapidly switch allegiances and for his explosive temper. He was also a sworn enemy of George Brown. In 1837 he sided with the reformers led by Robert Baldwin, but by 1841 was opposed to them. He was re- elected many times, in 1844 and 1847 for Lanark, and in 1851 the took the riding of Huron. In 1854 he ran in both S. Lanark and Lambton but lost in both. In 1857 he won in Lambton. Following Confederation, he entered federal politics, although he lost a by-election in 1869 in Renfrew. In 1874 he was elected as a Liberal in S. Ontario. He died on June 1, 1876 in Ottawa.

Murray, Thomas Patrick, b. 1880
Personne · b. 1880

Thomas Patrick Murray (b. 1880) was the president of Murray Brothers Lumber Company near Barry's Bay, Ontario and was a Liberal Member of Provincial Parliament for the riding of Renfrew South from 1929-1945.

Murray was born in Barry's Bay, Ontario, and married Hannah Kiely in 1910, the couple subsequently having nine children. Murray first was elected as a Liberal MPP in 1929, and was re-elected in 1937 and 1939. He remained in office until 1945.

Welch, Bob, 1928-2000
Personne · 1928-2000

Robert (Bob) Welch (1928-2000) was a lawyer by profession, Member of Provincial Parliament for St. Catharines from 1963 to 1985, and a member of Cabinet in three Conservative governments (Robarts, Davis, and Miller). He was Chancellor of Brock University from 1986 until his death in 2000.

Welch was born on 13 July 1928 in St. Catherines, Ontario, to John Robert Charles Welch and Edna Rebecca Groombridge. He was first elected to the provincial legislature in 1963, and held numerous Cabinet posts during the Robarts, Davis and Miller governments. In 1971, he ran unsucessfully for the leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives. He retired from politics in 1985, following the defeat of Frank Miller's minority government.

In the Robarts government, Welch served as Provincial Secretary and Minister of Citizenship, 1966 to 1971.

In the Davis government, Welch served as: Minister of Education, 1971 to 1972; Provincial Secretary for Social Development, 1972 to 1973; Minister of Housing, 1973 to 1974; Attorney General and Provincial Secretary for Justice, 1974 to 1975; Minister of Culture and Recreation, 1975; Government House Leader, 1975 to 1977; Deputy Premier, 1977 to 1978; Provincial Secretary for Justice, 1978 to 1979; Minister of Energy, 1979 to 1985; Minister responsible for Women's Issues, 1983 to 1985.

In the Miller government, Welch served as Attorney General and Deputy Premier in 1985.

After retiring from politics, Welch became the longest serving Chancellor of Brock University, from 1986 to his death in 2000.

Conant, Gordon, 1885-1953
Personne · 1885-1953

The Hon. Gordon Daniel Conant (1885-1953) was a lawyer, a Mayor of Oshawa, and Premier of Ontario from 1942 to 1943.

He was born at Cedar Dale, East Whitby Township (now part of the Township of Oshawa). He was educated at Oshawa High School., and the University of Toronto. He was called to the bar in 1912 and practised law at Oshawa. In 1933, he was made a K.C. In 1913, he married Verna Rowena Smith, and the couple had three children.

He began his political career on the municipal level as Deputy Reeve of Oshawa in 1914, Reeve of Oshawa in 1915, and Mayor of Oshawa in 1916 and 1917. Conant was also active in local commissions and associations, including the Board of Water Commissioners of Oshawa, the Board of Trustees of the Oshawa General Hospital, the Oshawa Rotary Club, the Public Utilities Commission of Oshawa, and the Oshawa Chamber of Commerce.

He was also involved in the affairs of the Liberal Party, acting as President of the Liberal Club Federation of Ontario, and Secretary of the Ontario County Liberal Association. In 1934, Conant was appointed Crown Attorney for Ontario County.

In 1937 he won the seat of Ontario County in the Ontario Legislative Assembly and was immediately appointed Attorney General in the Mitchell Hepburn Cabinet. In October, 1942, Hepburn resigned as Premier and choose Conant as his successor. Conant served until May, 1943, and did not contest the leadership in the Liberal Convention which followed. In June, 1943, he was appointed Master of the Supreme Court of Ontario and held that position until 1951. In 1944, the University of Toronto presented Conant with an honorary degree.

Collectivité · 1898-

The Montreal, Ottawa & Georgian Bay Canal Company was incorporated in 1898 by an Act of Federal Parliament to construct a canal from Chaudiere Falls on the Ottawa River, via Lake Nipissing and the French River, to Georgian Bay.

Maclean-Hunter Limited
Collectivité · 1945-1994

Maclean - Hunter Limited was a major Canadian publisher, from 1945 to 1994, of over 130 special interest magazines and 70 business periodicals; it also had stakes in the newspaper publishing industry, the radio and television industry, and the cable industry.

In 1945, John Bayne MacLean reorganized his MacLean Publishing Company as the Maclean - Hunter Publishing Company, with company president Horace Talmadge Hunter playing a more prominent role. Subsequently the name of the company was changed yet again to Maclean-Hunter Limited. After Horace T. Hunter, subsequent presidents of company included: Floyd S. Chalmers, Donald F. Hunter, and Donald G. Campbell.

Maclean-Hunter was the largest Canadian publisher in its time, putting forth over 130 magazines and 70 periodicals, including Maclean's Magazine, Flare, L’Actualité, Chatelaine, and, until 1987, the Financial Post. The company also published in the US and Europe, including many business periodicals. In March of 1973, MacLean-Hunter Limited completed financial arrangements for the purchase of The Macmillan Company of Canada Limited. Donald Campbell became Chairman of the Board, and George Gilmour, who was Vice-President in charge of the Maclean - Hunter Business Publications Division, became President and Chief Executive Officer of Macmillan.

With time, Maclean - Hunter became a diversified communications company, maintaining a majority interest in Toronto Sun Publishing Corporation, publishers of the Toronto Sun, Edmonton Sun, Calgary Sun and Ottawa Sun. It also developed interests in the radio and television and cable industries. As a broadcaster, the company’s holdings included the CTV affiliate CFCN-TV in Calgary and Lethbridge and 22 radio stations located in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Chatham-Wallaceburg, Ottawa, Sarnia, Leamington and throughout the Maritimes. It was also the third largest cable television operator in Canada, controlling 16 cable systems in 20 communities in Ontario, servicing over 700,000 subscribers in Ontario and the US. Other interests included book distribution, commercial printing, business forms, trade shows and specialized information services.

In 1994, Rogers Communications Ltd. gained control of Maclean-Hunter Limited.

Montgomery, Thomas, 1790-1877
Personne · 1790-1877

Thomas Montgomery (1790-1877) was an innkeeper in Etobicoke, Ontario, in the mid nineteenth century.

Thomas Montgomery was born in Co. Fermanagh, Ireland in 1790 and emigrated to Canada in 1812. He married Margaret Dawson (1808-1855) and had seven children, only two of whom were living at the time of her death. These two were William (born 1830) and Robert (born 1837). He died in 1877. His first employment in Canada consisted of transporting salt in the province of Quebec, and following this he became a surveyor in the Peel County area. He moved to Mimico (subsequently Islington) in Etobicoke Township in the early 1830's, opening an Inn and continuing as innkeeper until his retirement. His establishment was built around 1830 and received a major addition in 1838. It was famous for its dancing and dining facilities as well as for its bar-room, and the ballroom was used for the sessions of the Court of Quarter Sessions. It also served as a meeting- place for the local Orange Lodge for several years. Montgomery was a prominent businessman, and eventually became the owner of some twenty farms and other properties in Etobicoke and across southern Ontario.

Pim, William, fl. 1851-1871
Personne · fl. 1851-1871

William Pim (fl. 1851-1871) was a Toronto carpenter and general contractor.

Projects in which Pim was involved include: Government House, the courthouse at Whitby, Farell House in Cayuga, cholera sheds in Toronto, Belle Ewart railway stations, and other railway buildings.

Blokol Corporation
Collectivité · 1937-1954

The Blokol Corporation of Toronto, incorporated in 1937, invented and produced equipment for pulverizing coal for burning.

The Blokol Corporation was incorporated on August 13, 1937 and closed for business on May 21, 1954.

Personne · 1917-1982

John Parmenter Robarts (1917-1982) was the Progressive Conservative Premier of Ontario between 1961 and 1971.

Born in Banff, Alberta, Robarts grew up in Galt and London, Ontario. In 1939, he graduated from the School of Business Administration, Western Ontario. The following year, he joined the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve seeing action in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and the Pacific. He retired with the rank of Lieutenant. After the war, Robarts enrolled at Osgoode Hall Law School and was called to the bar in 1947.

His career in politics began with his election to the London City Council in 1950. The next year Robarts became a Progressive Conservative member of the Ontario Legislature for London. He served as Minister of Education from 1959 to 1961. He then succeeded Leslie Frost in 1961 as party leader and Premier of Ontario, a position he would hold for almost ten years.

After leaving office in 1971, Robarts returned to private practice in law as a partner in Stikeman, Elliot, Robarts and Bowman. He also conducted a Royal Commission into the Metropolitan Toronto municipal government in 1974 and served as co- chairman of the Task Force on Canadian Unity in 1977. In addition, during the 1970's, he served as Chancellor for the University of Western Ontario and York University, and sat on a number of corporate directorships, including the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Bell Canada.

A Companion of the Order of Canada and A Grand Knight of the Order of St. John, Robarts received honorary degrees from twelve universities.

Durham Woollen Manufacturing Company
Collectivité · 1866-1870

The Durham Woollen Manufacturing Company was incorporated at Newcastle, Durham County, Ontario in July, 1866 and its property was sold at auction on 15 July 1870.