Showing 19464 results

People and organizations

Chisholm, Ann Eva

  • 016-.1
  • Person
  • 1924-2000

Eeva Annikki Kantokoski syntyi Toukokuun 8, 1924, Alajärvellä, Suomessa, Matti Niilo (sy. 1901) ja Anna Milia (sy. 1903) Kantokoskelle. Kantoksen sukunimi lyhennettiin Koskeksi, mutta päivämäärästä ei ole tietoa. Eeva Annikki ja hänen vanhemmat muutti Suomesta Kanadaan 1924. He saapuivat Halifaxiin, Nova Scotiassa, Elokuun toisena päivänä 1924, ja he asettuivat asumaan Sudbury, Ontarioon. Eeva Annikkiin nuorempi veli Veikko Vesa Matias Kantokoski/Koski syntyi Joulukuussa, 1925. Jonkin ajan kuluttua Kanadaan saapumisen jälkeen Eeva Annikkia nimitettiin Ann Evaksi, ja toiset nimittivat hänta Anne, Anni tai Annieksi. Kantokosken perheen ensimmäiset vuodet Kanadassa vietettiin Sudbury, Ontariossa.
Heidän äitinsä kuoleman jälkeen 1933, Ann Eva ja hänen veli Veikko asettuivat asumaan heidän isän kanssa Sudburyssa kesällä, ja heitten tätinsä Ida Marie (Koivula) Lehden kanssa talvella. Ann valmistui kansakoulusta Sudburyssa, 1939, ja sai todistuksen aloittaa oppikoulun, mutta hän ei alottanu koulua rahan puutteen vuoksi. Kun Ann valmistui kansakoulusta, hän teki töita Ferrierin talolla siivoojana. Vuodet 1940 ja 1941 hän oli töissa Sudburyssa, Korpelan ruokakaupassa, ja Maen ravintolassa.

Vuosi 1942 Ann muutti Malarctic, Quebekiin. Siellä hän teki keittiötöita täysihoitolassa. Asumassa siellä hän tavasi Archie Chisholmsin, ja he meni naimisiin Toukokuun 24, 1942. Heitten ensimmäinen lapsi, Carl Richard, syntyi Joulukuun 24, 1943. Kun Archie oli sotilastöissa sodan aikana, Ann palas takaisin Sudburyn, ja asui hänen omaisien kanssa. Silloin aikana, Ann pätty Red Cross sairaanhoitajan kurssista. Sodan jälkeen Ann ja Archielle syntyi kaksi lasta: Leslie Karen, kuka syntyi Maaliskuun 8, 1947, ja Barry Neil kuka syntyi Lokakuun 8, 1955.

Asumassa Quebekissa, Ann teki vapaehtollista työta protestantti kansakoulun toimistossa ja Kandan ilmavoiman maanhuominto joukon kanssa. Vuosi 1974, hän eros hänen miehestä, ja muutti Dartmouth, Nova Scotian. Siellä, hän valmistui oppikoulusta, opiskeli sairaanhoitajaksi, ja valmistui opistosta psykiatri sairaanhoitajana. 1976-1986 mittaan hän oli töissa psykiatri sairaanhoitajana Nova Scotian sairaalassa.

Ann Eva Chisholm kuoli ialta 74, Maaliskuun 12, 2000, ja on haudattu Dartmouth, Nova Scotiassa.

Querney Family

  • 018
  • Family
  • 1937-present (in Sudbury, Ontario)

The Querney family first came to Sudbury, Ontario in 1937 from Toronto, Ontario due to Ernest T. Querney's new position as Manager of the Northern Electric Company Limited. Ernest & Marjorie Querney's son Alan Querney was born November 3, 1929 in Toronto. After growing up in Sudbury, Querney graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1954 with an Honors degree in Business Administration. In 1957, he became a Chartered Accountant and in November of that same year, Querney began working in the lumber industry at WB Plaunt & Son Limited/Austin Lumber (Dalton) Limited. Querney married Shirley Richmond in London, Ontario in 1954. They had four children, Tom (b. 1958), John (b. 1960), Susan (b. 1964), and William [Bill] (b. 1967).

In 1972, Bill Muirhead, a family friend, sold his family's business (Muirhead Stationers Limited) to Querney. After Alan Querney's sons graduated university, they became co-owners of the business as well. Tom Querney (trained in economics, Chartered Accountant) became the general manager, Bill Querney (McMaster, Commerce Degree) the furniture warehouse manager, and John Querney (Laurentian, Commerce Degree) the sales manager of the office furniture section.

Alan Querney was very active in the community. Querney was a member of the Laurentian University Board (Chairman, 1987-1990), the Board of Regents at Huntington College (Chairman), the Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce, the Sudbury and District Chartered Accountants Association, the Sudbury Algoma Sanitarium (Secretary-Treasurer), the Sudbury and District Hospital Council (Chairman), Idylwylde Golf and Country Club (President), the Ontario Lumber Manufacturer's Association, St. Andrew's United Church Council and Finance Committee, and a member of the Board and Treasurer of St. Andrew's Place Inc. Querney received numerous awards in the community including becoming an Honourary Fellow of Huntington University (1977), receiving an Honourary degree of Doctor of Sacred Letters from Huntington University (1982), elected a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (FCA, 1985), awarded the Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada (circa 1992), receiving an Honourary Degree of Doctor of Business Administration from Laurentian University (1996), received the President's Award from the Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce (along with his sons, 1998), and elected a Life Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (1999). He was also recognized as a Paul Harris Fellow by the Rotary Club of Sudbury in 2000 for charitable contributions. Alan Querney retired around 2002 and Tom Querney became President of Muirheads.

In May 2005, the Querney family sold Muirheads to Grand & Toy, an OfficeMax company. They became the largest commercial office products company in Northern Ontario.

In 2009, John and Bill Querney decided to leave Grand & Toy and start their own office supply business. Querney's Office Plus opened to the public at 67 Elm Street (right beside the former location of Muirheads), Sudbury, Ontario on July 19, 2010 with the grand opening celebration on October 21, 2010.

Dufour, Jim

  • 019
  • Person
  • 1945 - present

Jim Dufour was born in Thunder Bay, Ontario in 1945. He moved to Sudbury for work at INCO in 1964 at the Copper Cliff Iron Ore Plant. After a year in Copper Cliff, Dufour was moved to Stobie Mine where he worked for the next 34 years. At Stobie, Dufour performed a variety of tasks over the years including working underground. For the last 15 years of his career, Dufour was responsible for scheduling and training miners at Stobie. He co-ordinated the instuctors for training new employees on the history of mining, terminology, current practices, and safety. After 35 years at INCO, Jim Dufour retired in 1999.

Stevens Family

  • 021
  • Family
  • 1902 - present (in Canada)

Robert Thomas Stevens [Roberto Tomaso Stefanizzi] was born in Cellara, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy on February 23, 1896 to Gaetano Stefanizzi and Gaetana Caliguiri. At the age of 6, he immigrated to Canada with his uncle Francesco Steffanzzi (aka Frank Stevens d. 1941 age 70) in 1902 while the rest of his family remained in Italy.

As a teenager during the first world war, Stevens operated a commissary at Nobel for the explosives plant employees. Stevens enjoyed being an entrepreneur and in 1918, he decided to venture into the film industry by opening his first theatre in Sudbury on Elm Street East. His theatre business thrived and over the years, Stevens expanded his business with the acquisition of additional theatres in Sturgeon Falls, Creighton Mine and Sault Ste. Marie. For a few years, Stevens also owned a theatre in Espanola. In August 1939, Stevens opened the large Regent Theatre on Elm Street in Sudbury. This theatre was well known for its size in Northeastern Ontario.

On December 4, 1923, Robert Stevens married Florence Boucher, a nurse originally from Whitefish, Ontario. The ceremony was held in Little Current, Ontario. They had six children; Joseph 'Robert' Guy (1924-1968), 'William' Alfred (1926-1988), 'Thomas' Joseph (1928-), Anne Marie (1930-2004, married name Ripley), John (1931?-), and Margaret Theressa (1934-).

During the second world war, Robert Stevens, along with many other Italian-born Canadians, was closely monitored by authorities. On August 24, 1940, Stevens was a patient at St. Joseph’s Hospital, suffering from a slight ailment. At 10 a.m. he was arrested on charges, under the Defence of Canada Regulations, for during August 14 to 20, 1940 “making statements intended to, or likely to, prejudice recruiting, training, discipline and administration of His Majesty’s forces,” and “making statements intended to, or likely to, cause disaffection to His Majesty.” He was escorted from his hospital room to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police headquarters for questioning. Afterwards, he was taken to the courthouse. Stevens was denied bail by the Magistrate and placed in a prison cell at the Sudbury District Jail until his trial three days later. Stevens plead guilty to the first charge and was fined $25. The second charge was dropped.

Robert Thomas Stevens became ill in January 1943 and passed away at St. Joseph's Hospital in Sudbury on February 13, 1943 at the age of 46.

E. A. Collins

  • 022
  • Person
  • 1870 - 1952

Everett Alfred “Fred” Collins was born January 19, 1870 to Irish immigrant, yeoman and later merchant James Collins and his wife Elizabeth Frances Knobbs on a farm near Smithfield, Ontario. One of ten children, Collins received his public elementary education in Smithfield, matriculated to high school in Brighton, Ontario and graduated from the Model School in Madoc, Ontario. Upon graduation, Collins taught in Hastings County for a year. After that time, Collins worked for the railway with a survey party laying the Grand Trunk Railway line. While in this position, he met businessman Samuel J. Ritchie and through him, Almon Penfield Turner, who eventually became the general manager of the Canadian Copper Company.

In 1900, Turner offered Collins a job as a clerk at the Copper Cliff Mine. Collins switched to the East Smelter and in late 1901 he entered Queen’s University while continuing to work in Copper Cliff, Ontario during his summer vacations. In 1905, Collins graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in mining engineering and began work as a clerk on the Canadian Copper Company’s hydro-electric development at High Falls. In 1906, Collins worked in a laboratory in Hamilton, Ontario testing samples of cobalt-silver ores for a smelter. Collins went to Joplin, Missouri in January 1907 to work as a superintendent of mines at a lead and zinc mining company for several years. In 1909, Collins returned to Canada, where he worked investigating non-metallic deposits for a financial group before being appointed Inspector of Mining for the Ontario Department of Lands and Forests. On November 11, 1918, Collins returned to Copper Cliff to begin work as Safety Engineer for Inco, and later became Assistant to the General Manager and Vice-President of Inco in 1920. In this position, Collins served under three vice-presidents during his twenty-six years of service.

Collins was best known for his participation in local politics. Collins served as a councilor in Copper Cliff from 1923 to 1930. He was elected as mayor of Copper Cliff in 1930 and served in this role until his retirement in 1946. After retirement, Collins remained active, serving as chairman of the Sudbury Memorial Hospital and as a member of the Ontario Cancer Commission. He was also a member of the Queen’s University Alumni Association, the board of governors of Queen’s University, trustee of Albert College, Belleville, member of the local advisory board of the Guaranty Trust Company, member of the Idylwylde Golf Club, member of the Granite Club, past president of the Copper Cliff Club, honorary member of the Canadian Legion, Copper Cliff branch, member of the Shrine and Masonic organizations, past president of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, member of the Ontario Association of Professional Engineers, chairman of the Ontario National War Finance Committee in Sudbury and Manitoulin Island, past president of the Sudbury Rotary Club, and secretary of Inco’ Quarter Century Club.

Collins married music teacher Margaret Maude Walsh in Kingston, Ontario in 1909. They had one son, George E. Collins, who became a prominent Sudbury lawyer. Maude passed away in October 1935. Collins later remarried Beatrice M. Jacques in September 1946.

Fred Collins passed away on February 6, 1952 at the age of 74 in Copper Cliff, Ontario.

Collins, E. A.

  • 022
  • Person
  • 1870 - 1952

Everett Alfred “Fred” Collins was born one of ten children to Irish immigrant and yeoman, later merchant, James Collins and his wife Elizabeth Frances Knobbs on a farm near Smithfield, Ontario in Northumberland County, January 19, 1870. Collins received his public elementary education in Smithfield, matriculated to high school in Brighton, and graduated from the Model School in Madoc, Ontario. Upon graduation, Collins taught in Hastings County for a year. After that time, Collins worked for the railway with a survey party laying the Grand Trunk Railway line. While in this position, Collins met businessman Samuel J. Ritchie and through him, Almon Penfield Turner, who eventually became the general manager of the Canadian Copper Company.

In 1900, Turner offered Collins a job as a clerk at the Copper Cliff Mine. Collins switched to the East Smelter and in late 1901 he entered Queen’s University while continuing to work in Copper Cliff during his summer vacations. In 1905, Collins graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in mining engineering and began work as a clerk on the Canadian Copper Company’s hydro-electric development at High Falls. In 1906, Collins worked in a laboratory in Hamilton, Ontario testing samples of cobalt-silver ores for a smelter. Collins went to Joplin, Missouri in January 1907 to work as a superintendent of mines at a lead and zinc mining company for several years. In 1909, Collins returned to Canada, where he worked investigating non-metallic deposits for a financial group before being appointed Inspector of Mining for the Ontario Department of Lands and Forests. On November 11, 1918, Collins returned to Copper Cliff to begin work as Safety Engineer for Inco, and later became Assistant to the General Manager and Vice-President of Inco in 1920. In this position, Collins served under three vice-presidents during his twenty-six years of service.

Collins was best known for his participation in local politics. Collins served as a councilor in Copper Cliff from 1923 to 1930. He was elected as mayor of Copper Cliff in 1930, and served in this role until his retirement in 1946. After retirement, Collins remained active, serving as chairman of the Sudbury Memorial Hospital and as a member of the Ontario Cancer Commission. He was also a member of the Queen’s University Alumni Association, the board of governors of Queen’s University, trustee of Albert College, Belleville, member of the local advisory board of the Guaranty Trust Company, member of the Idylwylde Golf Club, member of the Granite Club, past president of the Copper Cliff Club, honorary member of the Canadian Legion, Copper Cliff branch, member of the Shrine and Masonic organizations, past president of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, member of the Ontario Association of Professional Engineers, chairman of the Ontario National War Finance Committee in Sudbury and Manitoulin Island, past president of the Sudbury Rotary Club, and secretary of Inco’ Quarter Century Club.

Collins married music teacher Margaret Maude Walsh in Kingston, Ontario in 1909. They had one son, George E. Collins, who became a prominent Sudbury lawyer. Maude passed away in October 1935. Collins later remarried Beatrice M. Jacques in September 1946.

Fred Collins passed away on February 6, 1952 at the age of 74 in Copper Cliff, Ontario.

The Sudbury Star

  • 023
  • Corporate body
  • 1909 - Present

The Sudbury Star first began publishing its newspaper on January 11, 1909, under the name the Daily Northern Star. Headed by publisher and editor George J. Ashworth, the Daily Northern Star was the first daily newspaper to be printed north of Toronto and focused on local events while still reporting on provincial, national, and international news. After only six months of operation, the newspaper encountered financial difficulties. William Edge Mason, a printing foreman in the mechanical department, sought financial assistance from ten prominent local men willing to donate $3,000 each to ensure the continuation of the operation. With their assistance, the newspaper was back on the streets within a month. By March 1910, the newspaper was renamed The Sudbury Daily Star. Later that year, financial support was again required, and the newspaper cut its publication down from six days a week to two and was renamed again the Sudbury Star. Following these financial setbacks, Ashworth resigned in 1911 and William Edge Mason became owner and publisher of the newspaper until his death in 1948. The newspaper became a three-times a week publication in 1935, and returned to daily status, six days a week, in September 1939. In 1992, Sunday publications first began, and the Sudbury Star published its newspaper seven days a week. This practice is continued today in both an online and paper format.

Newspaper editions of the Sudbury Star could be purchased individually or by subscription. Early subscribers could obtain editions of the newspaper by post or by telephoning the Sudbury Star which would then promptly deliver the newspaper. The first delivery career program for the Sudbury Star began September 3, 1940. The news careers, sometimes referred to as "newsboys" or "delivery career boys" consisted of many young boys who, during the early years, wore a white t-shirt with "The Sudbury Daily Star" printed on the front in blue lettering and carried the newspapers inside a thick delivery bag with a shoulder strap. The delivery careers were trained and each given a route by the Sudbury Star to deliver the newspaper daily to subscribers at work or at home. The routes included Sudbury, Copper Cliff, Creighton, Coniston, Garson and Falconbridge, Ontario. Eventually, young girls also became careers and the routes expanded to include all the communities which are now a part of Greater Sudbury.

Over the years, the Sudbury Star office has occupied numerous locations in downtown Sudbury. First located in the Gagne Block building on Elm Street, the office then moved into the Grand Theatre building (known as the Empire Theatre building after renovations in the late 1940’s and renamed the Grand Theatre by the 1980’s) at 24 Elgin Street. In 1916, the office moved to 18 Serpentine Street in Copper Cliff but returned to downtown by October of 1917, this time setting up in the Morin Building at 21-23 Elgin Street. In the early 1920’s, The Sudbury Star office moved back to the Gagne Block building at 22 Elm Street and the corner of Monck Street (now called Frood Road) where it remained for many years before finally setting up at 33 MacKenzie Street in 1961, where it resided until October 2013. The Sudbury Star’s office currently is located at 198 Pine Street.

In addition to publishing its newspaper, the Sudbury Star also operated a printing company known as Sudbury Star Print (by 1929 known as Sudbury Star Printers and Publishers and then by 1940 as Sudbury Star Publishers Ltd). Beginning in the early 1910’s, they printed catalogues and various advertisements for local businesses in the Sudbury area. Later publications include the Real Estate Guide and special business anniversary publications.

Sudbury Star Owners:
• George J. Ashworth 1909-1911
• William Edge Mason 1911-1948
• W.E. Mason Estate 1948-1950
• J.R. Meakes 1950-1955
• Thomson Newspapers 1955-1988
• The Thomson Corporation 1989-2000
• Osprey Media LP 2001-2007
• Sun Media Corporation 2007-2015
• Postmedia Network Canada Corporation 2015-Present

Publisher and General Manager:
• George J. Ashworth 1909-1911
• William Edge Mason 1911-1948
• J.R. Meakes 1950-1975
• John Friesen 1975-1981
• Don R. Herron 1981-1986
• Maurice H. Switzer 1986-1992
• Jon C. Butler 1992-1995
• Ken Seguin 1995-2003
• Dan Johnson 2003-2004
• David Kilgour 2004-2009, 2013-2014
• Bruce Cowan 2009-2013
• Karsten Johansen 2014-Present

Worthington (family)

  • 024
  • Family
  • 1823-1905

James Worthington was born October 30, 1823 to James Worthington (1795-1830) and Olivia Worthington (nee Corden, 1793-1829) in Wetley Rocks, Staffordshire, England. The third of five children, James Worthington was orphaned one month before his seventh birthday. He apprenticed as a stone mason and most likely immigrated to Canada with his brother John Worthington (1818-1873) in 1841.

On December 18, 1847, James Worthington married Hannah Shun (1824-1856) in the Home District in Ontario. They had two children, John Charles Worthington (1848-1889, born in Toronto, Ontario) and Louisa Worthington (later known as Louisa Harder, 1850-1936, born in Perth County, Ontario). In 1851, the Worthingtons were farmers, living in a log shanty in Blanchard, Perth County, Ontario. Hannah Shun Worthington died around 1856 and James Worthington married Caroline Frances Hitchcock (1832-1905) on March 16, 1859 in Toronto, Ontario.

Caroline Hitchcock was born August 19, 1832 to John Hitchcock (1805-1865) and Caroline Hitchcock (nee Wright, 1808-1890) in Ballingdon, Sudbury, Suffolk, England. The second daughter of at least ten children, she immigrated to Canada circa 1858, most likely with her sister Emily Sarah Hitchcock (1838-1896, married Carpenter John William Malcolm in Caledonia, Haldimand County, Ontario on April 16, 1859).

Around the time of his first wife's death (circa 1856), James Worthington became a partner in his brother, John Worthington’s contractor business in Toronto, Ontario. The firm Worthington Brothers employed over 350 workers and included stone-quarries in Ohio. Notable buildings constructed by Worthington Brothers include University College and the Chapel of St James the Less. The business also partnered with F.W. Cumberland to form the Toronto Patent Pressed Brick Company in Yorkville, Ontario.

By the early 1860’s, James Worthington, in addition to his duties as a building contractor, served as Captain of the No. 4 Company of the Tenth Battalion of Royal Regiment of Toronto Volunteers, retiring as a Major in 1869. His brother John Worthington left the Worthington Brothers’ business in 1860 to pursue business avenues with railway construction. In 1865, James Worthington partnered with his younger brother George Worthington to build forts for the military (Fort # 2 and Fort # 3) in Point Levy, Quebec. After the forts were completed in 1869, James Worthington followed his brother John’s example and left the Worthington Brothers to explore railway opportunities.

In 1871, the Worthingtons (James, Caroline and Louisa) were living in Trois Pistoles, Témiscouata, Quebec, along with Caroline’s sister Eliza Hitchcock (1839-1913, aka Elizabeth Hitchcock). John Charles Worthington was living with his wife and child in Fraserville, Temiscouata, Quebec at this time.

In 1874, James Worthington built “Worthington Block” in Toronto, Ontario. A three storey, six-bay building designed by architect William Storm. During that same year, on June 30, 1874, James Worthington was awarded custody of his niece, Annie Louisa Yates (1863-1957, married James Saunders June 25, 1881), daughter of iron-moulder Thomas Yates from the Township of Holland in County Grey, Ontario. Annie Yates’ mother, Olive Jane Worthington Yates, died three years previously and her father required assistance with her care. Annie Yates lived with the Worthingtons in Quebec most likely until her marriage to James Saunders in 1881.

On July 1, 1878, the Canadian Central Railway Syndicate began its lease of the Windsor Hotel, with James Worthington as its President. In 1879, James Worthington purchased control of the Canada Central Railway with Duncan McIntyre. By February 1880, he declared bankruptcy and sold his Canada Central Railway interest to settle his debts.

In 1881, James and Caroline Worthington resided in Brockville, Ontario with Caroline’s sister Eliza Hitchcock Mondelet (married Dr. William Mondelet October 25, 1876, filed for divorce in 1877). In 1883, James Worthington worked as the Construction Superintendent for the Canadian Pacific Railway. His position included the responsibility of establishing railway stations across Northern Ontario from Pembroke to Pogamasing Lake. In mid February 1883, Worthington named one of the new railway stations “Sudbury” after his wife’s hometown in England.

In May 1884, James Worthington had a disagreement with William Van Horne and retired at the age of 61 from the Canadian Pacific Railway. During his time in Northern Ontario, Worthington invested in the mining industry. In 1889, one of the mines James Worthington heavily invested in was named after him (Worthington Mine) and eventually the town which grew around it became known as Worthington, Ontario.

In 1889, James Worthington purchased the Ontario Bolt Works Company in Swansea, Ontario. During the 1890's, the Worthingtons resided in Toronto, Ontario (St. Patricks Ward) where they both remained for the rest of their lives. James Worthington died November 24, 1898 at the age of 75 while Caroline Worthington died February 20, 1905 at the age of 72. The Worthingtons are interred at St. James Cemetery in Toronto, Ontario.

Town of Sudbury

  • 026
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-1930

The Town of Sudbury was incorporated on April 14th, 1892 with the Ontario Statutes 1892, Chapter 88. Prior to this time, the area which became the Town of Sudbury was located within the Township of McKim which was surveyed by Provincial Land Surveyor Francis Bolger in 1883. The name Sudbury was given to the railway station in the area by CPR construction superintendent James Worthington, who named it after the British hometown of his wife, Caroline Frances Hitchcock Worthington. The municipality, in turn, took the name Sudbury from the station.

As an incorporated town, lower tier municipality, the Town of Sudbury had a council consisting of an elected Mayor and councilors, varying in number based on the size of the municipality. The Town was responsible for the upkeep of the local road system and the delivery of services including policing, water and sewage. The Town of Sudbury controlled the regulation of land and local administration through by-laws. It had the ability to raise money through direct taxation on land and through the use of debentures.
The Town of Sudbury became a City July 28th, 1930 under An Act to Incorporate the City of Sudbury, Ontario Statutes 1930, Chapter 102.

Former Mayors of the Town of Sudbury include;

Stephen Fournier 1893, 1896
Daniel O'Connor 1894
Murrary Clement Biggar 1895
Francis Cochrane 1897-1898, 1902
T.J. Ryan 1899-1901
Francis Foley Lemieux 1903-1904
Larry O'Connor 1905-1907, 1910-1911, 1914-1915
John McLeod 1908-1909
J.G. Henry 1912-1913
Thomas Travers 1916
Percy Morrison 1917-1919
J.A. Laberge 1920-1921
Robert H. Arthur 1922-1923
Joseph Sutherland Gill 1924-1925
Joseph A. Samson 1926-1927
Charles Bibby 1928-1929
Peter Fenton 1930

1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack

  • 027
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - After 1962

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first meeting of the 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack, which was part of the Coniston Boy Scout Association was in October 1948. This 1st troop was affiliated with the All Saints Anglican Church and, in late 1948, a 2nd troop was formed which was affiliated with the Catholic Church (the French speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the English speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The 1st Coniston Wolf Cub Pack held their troop meetings on Tuesday nights, but they would have events, such as tobogganing parties and parades, on other days of the week. Regular activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father & son banquets. The troop was funded through various fundraising activities, such as candy sales on Valentine's Day.

In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the 2nd troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen) listed in the scrapbook were:
Roy Snitch (1948 - 1949)
J. Rogerson (1952 - 1953)

Forestell, Patricia

  • 028
  • Person
  • 1936 - 1969

Reverend Sister Mary Patricia Forestell was born on October 2, 1936 in Coniston, Ontario to Daniel Clary Forestell and Helena Jane Forestell, nee Smith (Lena Forestell). The Forestell family first moved to Coniston in 1914 for work with the Mond Nickel Company, and later INCO. The youngest of eleven children (three of which died during the second world war), Sister Patricia Forestell received her early education at Our Lady of Mercy School in Coniston, before graduating from St. Joseph's College in North Bay, Ontario. It was during these years that she participated in the Girl Guides. She was a member of the 1st Coniston Girl Guide Company where she was part of the Blue Bird Patrol and later of the Lone Company at St. Joseph's College. After finishing her studies at St. Joseph's College, she travelled to Franklin, Pennsylvania where she entered the order of the White Sisters of Africa. Her first posting after taking her final vows was to North Africa, where she spent two years administering to the sick in Algiers at a hospital. Following this posting, Sister Patricia received a degree in nursing from the University of Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. After graduating, she spent time with her family in Coniston, before returning to Africa where she was in charge of a hospital in Nandom, Ghana. Sister Patricia Forestell returned to the United States in April 1968 due to her failing health. She died of cancer on March 16, 1969 in Piscataway [New Brunswick], New Jersey at the age of thirty-two. She is buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery in Coniston, Ontario.

Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District

  • 029
  • Corporate body
  • 1949 - 1976

The Soroptimist Club was formed in Oakland, California in 1921 for women who hold executive status in business, government or a profession. Membership was by invitation only and was limited to women with careers outside of the home. The aim of the Soroptimist Club was to provide service to the community, usually through fundraising and donations, to promote the advancement of women in business and to maintain high ethical standards in professional life.

The Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District was chartered on January 29, 1949. It was founded by Margaret Kerr of Montreal. Elizabeth Soutar (Bess Soutar), head of the local Victorian Order of Nurses (V.O.N.), was the first President of the Sudbury Nickel District chapter. The club met twice monthly, on the second and fourth Mondays, the first only for business and the second to have a dinner meeting followed by business and/or a speaker. These early meetings were held mainly at Cassio's Motor Hotel or in members' homes.

During it's life, the Soroptimist Club sponsored many community projects, including providing a monthly allowance for three years to a nurse in training; Christmas dinners to elderly members of the community; sponsoring the Soutar Senior Citizen's Club; sending underprivileged children to summer camp; giving a clothing allowance to a secondary school student, which allowed her to graduate; providing rent for underprivileged college students during the summer months; donating $500 to the Centennial Project for trees in Bell Park; giving a donation of $1000 so a room could be refurnished at the Y.W.C.A. and putting on concerts.

The club celebrated their 25th Anniversary with dinner at Cassio's Motor Hotel in the Venetian Room on June 8, 1974. However, membership and participation in the club was declining. By 1975 meetings dwindled and only seven or eight women were taking an active interest, so in 1976 the club's activities came to an end after 27 years.

Club Presidents:
Bess Soutor 1949-1950
Kay Elliott 1950-1950
Allegra Walker 1951-1952
Eleanor Hambley 1952-1954
Lempi Johnson 1954-1955
Grace Wigg 1955-1957
Thelma Paulson 1957-1959
Ursula Black 1959-1961
Margaret Blue 1961-1962
Mary Brown 1962-1964
Florence Tomlinson 1964-1966
Myrtle Kennedy 1966-1969
Editha McLellan 1969-1970
Mary Brown 1970-1972
Myrtle Kennedy 1972-1974

St. John the Evangelist Catholic Youth Organization

  • 030
  • Corporate body
  • January 1944 - June 1980

St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church was built in Garson, Ontario in 1913-1914. Prior to this time, mass was celebrated in Garson by a visiting priest from Ste. Anne's Parish in Sudbury with the first mass in Garson celebrated in 1906 by Reverend G.S. Lebel. In 1935 the mission of St. John's, which included the towns of Garson and Falconbridge, became a parish and Reverend John P. Coghlan was named the first Parish Priest, serving until 1964. In March of 1950 the original St. John's church succumbed to fire and another church was immediately built in its place, with the first mass being held there on December 17, 1950.

The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.), affiliated with St. John's, was established in January 1944 due to the efforts of Father A.J. Sullivan. The C.Y.O.'s first meeting had twenty people in attendance and by 1946 had grown to include approximately fifty members, who were divided into 'junior' and 'senior' groups. It was a popular unit within the church and many events and programs were held for the benefit of the members. Events included dances, debates, quiz nights, holiday parties, roller skating parties and tobogganing outings. The C.Y.O. also took great interest in athletics and took part in a bowling league and a baseball league, as well as organized hikes, skiing trips and dart tournaments for members. By April 1946 the C.Y.O. was running its own news bulletin, which was used to relay gossip, local news and events within St. John's Parish and to advertise upcoming parties and events being held by the C.Y.O. The C.Y.O. remained in existence until June 1980.

The editorial staff for the years 1946-1947 were:
Editor: Lil Scagnetti
Assistant Editor: Mike Dudowich
Typist: Diane Scagnetti [Di Scagnetti/Diane Dellelce]
Printer: Abele Crisante
Sports Editor: George Morin
Poetry Department: Marg Lachapelle
Senior Reporter: Theresa Moreau, Claire Daoust
Junior Reporter: Rose Devuono, Bea Laliberte
Deliveries: Stan Hyduk
Social Editor [April 1946]: T. Egan

O'Flynn Cash Grocery

  • 031
  • Corporate body
  • 1914

O'Flynn Cash Grocery opened in January of 1914 in Copper Cliff, Ontario. It is not known if the store had an actual physical location on Poplar Street, if it occupied a section of McKinnon's General Store, or if it was a catalogue store with a mailing address of Poplar Street. The ordering procedures mentioned in the store's price list, however, suggest that it was a catalogue store.

Miss Rose O'Flynn was the proprietor of the 'cash only' store, which was a novelty in Copper Cliff due to the exclusive use of credit in that area. The experimental store had a short life, closing sometime before the start of 1915, though the exact date is unknown.

Rose O'Flynn was born Mary Rosetta Flynn (sometimes written as O'Flynn) on April 5, 1890 in Ensley Township, Newaygo, Michigan to James Joseph Flynn and Mary Ellen Flynn (née Mary Ellen Wolfe). Her parents were born and married in Ontario, but immigrated to the United States of America in 1881 or 1882. Rose O'Flynn lived with her family in Michigan until 1907, at which time she went to live in Copper Cliff with her mother's sister, Hester McKinnon (née Hester Ann Wolfe) and her family. Hester McKinnon was married to John Romantions McKinnon who owned and operated a department store, J.R. McKinnon & Sons. Rose O'Flynn worked as a saleslady there and lived with the McKinnon's until her marriage to Gregory Lee on June 8, 1915. Her wedding day was a simple affair, with the only guests being close friends and relatives of the bride and groom. Rose O'Flynn's cousin, Richard McKinnon, walked her down the aisle. After a honeymoon in Cornwall, Ontario; Boston, Massachusetts, and New York, New York the couple returned home to Copper Cliff.

Rose O'Flynn Lee was a homemaker and took care of the couple's four children, three girls and a boy. She was also deeply involved with her church, St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church, and was a member of the Catholic Women's League and the Altar Society. Rose O'Flynn Lee died June 3, 1950 at the age of 60 in her home in Copper Cliff.

The Canadian Bank of Commerce, Sudbury Branch No. 1335

  • 032
  • Corporate body
  • 1929-1961

The Canadian Bank of Commerce was first established on May 15, 1867 in Toronto, Ontario. Through amalgamations with regional banks, it grew to include branches across the country. With additional acquisitions in the 1920's, the bank became one of the strongest branch networks in Canada with well over 700 locations by 1929.

In 1936 the Canadian Bank of Commerce was the first bank in Canada to establish a personal loans department. At first, the bank would only issue loans, for a maximum of $1,000, in the Toronto and Hamilton areas. After the success of this pilot project, loans were extended to Canadians across the country.

During the second world war, the Canadian Bank of Commerce, along with other banks across Canada, assisted the government with the implementation of Victory Loans and War Ration coupons. The Victory Loan campaigns raised around $12 billion for the war effort, with almost three million Canadians buying war loan bonds. With the war ration coupons, banks became responsible for the accounting of food ration coupons in March, 1943 and gasoline ration coupons in April, 1944. The federal government first introduced ration coupons in April, 1942 for gasoline (until Aug 1945) and for certain food products in June, 1942 as a way of insuring equitable distribution of these supplies because of an acute shortage during the war. (Sugar - June 1942-1947, tea - 1942-Sept 1944, coffee - 1942-Sept 1944, butter - Dec 1942 -June 1947, meat - May 1943-March 1947, preserves - Dec 1943-1947, and in some areas evaporated milk - Dec 1943-1947.) After the initial year, the government decided banks in Canada were in a better position to handle the accounting aspect of the ration coupons and the banks agreed, provided they were able to limit the amount of paperwork involved. Dealers such as jobbers and brokers, wholesalers, creamery and cheese factories, importers of tea and coffee, retailers whose normal monthly gross sales in food exceeded $5,000, as well as businesses which served meals including the rationed goods, such as hotels, restaurants, and hospitals, were required to conduct ration bank accounts. With the ration bank accounts, these dealers and food server businesses would deposit and withdraw ration stamps in the same manner as financial accounts. Each ration product required a separate account for these businesses. When ration supplies were needed, a business would simply write a cheque in the amount of the ration stamps required from their specific product ration account. In turn, when customers purchased a rationed product, they would hand the business the required number of stamps and they would then deposit them into the specific ration accounts for their next purchase from their suppliers (both the businesses and the public were still required to pay cash for their rationed products along with the ration stamps.)

After the war, the Canadian Bank of Commerce increased their holdings to include branches in newly created suburbs and in 1954, along with the rest of the banks in Canada, began to offer mortgages for newly constructed homes. Prior to this time, all banks were barred from the mortgage business since 1871, leaving life insurance companies to offer the majority of mortgages to the public.

On June 1st 1961, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce was formed through the merger of The Canadian Bank of Commerce and the Imperial Bank of Canada. The merger occurred due to both banks growth in the resource industry. The Imperial Bank of Canada was unable to keep up with the increasing needs of its resource industry clients and in an attempt to meet these needs and to ward off a possible buyout by a foreign bank, a new, larger bank was formed by the merger.

The Sudbury Branch of the Bank of Commerce first opened on June 22, 1929. Located on the corner of Elm and Elgin in the former Sterling Bank of Canada building, this bank became the eighth to locate to Sudbury (The Sterling Bank of Canada 1905-1924, opened January 30, 1909 in Sudbury. This bank merged with the Standard Bank of Canada in 1924 and the Standard Bank of Canada merged with the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1928). The Town of Sudbury Building Permits record a H.R. Sheldon for Sterling Bank applying for a building permit on July 1, 1918 for 151 Elm Street. The building material included 80,000 bricks, 1,100 yards plastering, 1,000 cubic feet stone work, and 2,900 cubic feet concrete. This branch served as the main office in Sudbury until a larger branch was opened at the corner of Cedar and Lisgar Streets. As the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, the Elm and Elgin branch merged with the Cedar Street branch on October 24, 1997, leaving the Elm and Elgin Street location vacant.

Col. David Younger Public School

  • 033
  • Corporate body
  • 1959 - 2000

Col. David Younger Public School was officially opened on December 14, 1959. During the planning stages and building of the school it was named McKim Public School #9 and, for a time, also called Soloy Public School; however, it was decided that the school would officially be named Col. David Younger Public School in honour of Lieutenant-Colonel David Younger.

Construction on the three room school house began in the spring of 1959 and was completed in time for children to start school that September. Only two classrooms were in use the first year, with grades one and two being taught by Mrs. Diana Johnstone and grades three and four being taught by Ray Kaatari, principal of the school. Within two years the school expanded to eight rooms and an auditorium to accommodate the growing population in New Sudbury.

In 1962 Col. David Younger Public School was inducted into The Ontario Federation of Home and School Associations (a provincial volunteer group committed to informed and proactive involvement in their homes, schools and communities, to obtain "The Best for Each Student.") During the 1976 - 1977 school year, Col. David Younger Public School dealt with overcrowding, the main complaints of which were centered around the new French immersion program implemented at the school and the fact that the library consisted of a number of bookshelves placed in a hallway.

Despite overcrowding, by 1978 the school was constantly plagued with proposals to close due to declining enrolment numbers. Due to both of these issues the school had a very involved Parents' Advisory Committee which worked constantly to keep the school open for their children. In 1982 the decision was made to keep the school open and to not disperse any of its students to nearby Churchill Public School and Westmount Public School, as had been suggested. The commitment to keeping the school open lasted until June 2000 when the school permanently closed.

Principals:

Ray Kaattari, September 1959 - June 1966
Oakley Pawson, September 1966 - June 1970
A.L. Toppari, September 1970 - June 1972
J.A. Wells, September 1972 - June 1987
Michael Betty, September 1987 - June 1993
Brian Fielding, September 1993 - [?] (still principal in 1996)

Cram, Eva (nee Wolotko)

  • 034
  • Person
  • 1903-1987

Eva Wolotko was born in November 1903 to parents Anton Wolotko and Mary Fox Wolotko in Chapleau, Ontario. Wolotko had one brother, Joseph Wolotko (October 1910 - December 12, 1949, AKA Joe Wolotko), who played hockey for teams in Chapleau and Falconbridge, Ontario in the Nickel Belt League. In 1938 Eva Wolotko moved to Sudbury, Ontario and in 1940 she married Earle Cram (aka Erle C. Cram, Ernie Cram, 1907-1964), a firefighter and former lumber and construction worker. The marriage ceremony occurred in Wolotko's hometown of Chapleau but the couple lived in Sudbury. Eva Wolotko Cram had a career as a dressmaker and later as a school crossing guard. She belonged to St. Andrew the Apostle Roman Catholic Church and died on September 26, 1987 at the age of 83.

Bibby, Charles

  • 035
  • Person
  • 1880 - 1970

Charles Bibby was born in Manchester, England on September 15, 1880. The son of a Confectioner, Bibby was the oldest male of four children. After studying accounting and becoming a public accountant, Bibby immigrated to Canada with his wife Mary Swain (1881-1967) in March 1903. The couple settled in North Bay where Bibby worked as a clerk, and later as an accountant for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR).

The Bibby family suffered several tragedies while in North Bay with the deaths of three daughters (Isabella Bibby June 1902 [Lancashire, England] - January 10, 1904 [North Bay, cause: bronchitis for 2 weeks], Georgina May Bibby September 14, 1904 - August 28, 1905, [cause: diarrhea for 3 weeks], and Beatrice Bibby October 1, 1905 - September 3, 1906 [cause: diarrhea for 5 weeks]). On October 19, 1910, the couple had their last and only surviving child Charles Fredrick Bibby (who later became Warden Bibby with the Ministry of Natural Resources). Shortly afterwards (before June 1911), the Bibby family moved to Sudbury due to a transfer with the CPR.

While in Sudbury, Charles Bibby continued to work for the CPR and later gained employment as an accountant for the Sudbury-Copper Cliff Street Railway until his retirement in 1945. He also belonged to the Nickel Lodge 427 of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (he was initiated in Sudbury in 1918, became a Worshipful Master in 1924 and a Grand Steward in 1959) as well as the Tuscan Chapter 95 Royal Arch Masons, Mavar Preceptory 65, the Sudbury Shrine Club, and Rameses Shriners Temple in Toronto.

In 1928, Charles Bibby was elected mayor of the Town of Sudbury and was re-elected in 1929, the year before the town became a city.

Charles Bibby passed away on August 7, 1970 at the age of 89.

Chelmsford Women's Institute

  • 036
  • Corporate body
  • 1949 - 1960

The Chelmsford Women's Institute was founded on June 3rd, 1949. It was created by the women of Chelmsford as a branch of the pre-existing Women's Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. Mrs. Grace McCrystal (nee Vaillancourt) organized the first meeting at her home in Chelmsford and sixteen ladies attended to listen to District President, Mrs. H. Williams, and District Secretary, Mrs. J. Hamilton, explain the work and aims of the Women's Institute.

The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. Standing committees included Agriculture and Canadian Industries, Citizenship and Education, Community Activities and Public Relations, Historic Research and Current Events, Home Economics and Health, and Resolutions.

The Women's Institute helped local families in need, usually by raising funds, donating clothing or sending flowers. They also gave monetary donations to national causes, such as the Red Cross, presented papers at meetings on the topics of agriculture, local history, geography, shopping and hygiene and hosted events for members, such as baby showers, Christmas gift exchanges and sleigh rides. The group also took it upon themselves to document the history of Chelmsford with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks between 1949 and 1956. The research for these scrapbooks was undertaken by their Historic Research and Current Events Standing Committee Convener, Rose Cvitkovich.

The Chelmsford Women's Institute officially disbanded in 1960.

Former Presidents of the Chelmsford Women's Institute include:

Mrs. A. Rheaume (1949 - 1950)
Mrs. Albert DeFinney (December 1950 - April 1951)
Mrs. Yvonne Trottier (nee Paquette) (1951 - 1952, 1953 - 1955)
Mrs. G. Castonguay (1952)
Mrs. R. Cvitkovich (1956)

Memories and Music

  • 036
  • Corporate body
  • 1974 - 1982

The radio program Memories and Music began its first broadcast on January 6th, 1974. Sponsored by International Nickel (INCO), the program aired for an hour each Sunday at noon on 92.7 CKSO-FM Sudbury, which became CIGM in 1977. Memories and Music featured a host who conducted an interview every week with a different Sudburian (or individual who lived in the outlying areas) about his or her life story while interweaving older music from the 1920's, 30's, and 40's into the broadcast during the interview breaks.

The interviews were pre-recorded with the host either visiting the featured person at his or her home or in a neutral, quiet location such as a hotel room.

Interview topics normally included family, immigration, mining, lumbering, railways, retail, hockey, religion, education, health care, politics, unions, and community life.

Memories and Music ended its run in 1982.

Hosts:
Don McMillan (January, 1974 - December, 1976)
Bert Meredith (January 1976 - 1980?)
Gary Peck (1981 - 1982)

Results 21 to 40 of 19464