Abe Levine (b. 1901) was the son of Moses and Sarah Levine. He was married to Emma Ciglen Levine (b. 1903), an actress, originally from Meaford, Ontario. Emma was born in Wellington County to Jacob and Minnie Ciglen. Abe and Emma lived in Hanover, Ontario and had a daughter in 1925 named Frances. They eventually moved to Toronto. Frances' married name was Bederman. She became a drama teacher.
Abraham [Avram?] Levine, was Moses Levine’s brother. He died young, possibly in 1908. He married Sarah Freinkelstein (d. 1948) in 1894, and they lived at 100 Elizabeth St., in Toronto. They had two sons Harry (1899-[1966?]) and Philip, both of whom worked in the building industry. Abraham worked as a dry goods merchant.
The Agar family's presence in Vaughan was initiated with the arrival of Hannah and Thomas, and their son Richard, from Moolson, Yorkshire, in 1830. They settled on Lot 11, Concession 10 and their descendants continue to reside in Vaughan.
Frederick Stanley Albright was born on March 23, 1883 in Haldimand County, Ontario, the son of Reverend Josiah and Sarah (née Moyer) Albright. Raised in Beamsville, Ontario, Albright attended Victoria College at the University of Toronto, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in political science in 1908. While at Victoria College, Albright was the editor of the student newspaper, Acta Victoriana. Albright moved to Calgary in 1912 and was admitted to practice law through the Law Society of Alberta. Albright joined the firm of Clark, McCarthy, Carson and MacLeod and lectured in the Faculty of Law at the University of Alberta. Elnora Evelyn Kelly was born on November 14, 1889 in Cayuga, Ontario, the daughter of Reverend S. Judson and Elizabeth (née Slaght) Kelly. In 1912, Evelyn received her BA in English and History from Victoria College at the University of Toronto. Evelyn Kelly and Frederick Albright were married on June 12, 1914 in Thorold, Ontario; they returned to Calgary shortly afterwards. Frederick Albright enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in June, 1916 and initially worked as a recruiter in Calgary. He was sent for training to Bramshott Camp in England in March, 1917 before being sent to action in France. Frederick Albright was killed in action on October 26, 1917 at Passchendaele, Belgium. He isburied at Larch Wood Cemetery in Zillebeke, Belgium.During Frederick's military service and after his death, Evelyn earned a law degree, becoming the second female lawyer in Alberta. Evelyn Albright returned to Ontario in 1920 and joined the University of Western Ontario's Faculty of Arts. She became the first female instructor in the English department and was promoted to assistant professor in 1930. Leaving London in 1931 for the University of Chicago, she was awarded her Master of Arts degree. Evelyn returned to Londonand became an associate professor at the University of Western Ontario in 1935. Evelyn was appointed convener of the Committee on Laws for Women and Children for the Local Council of Women in London. She was also president of the University Women's Club. Albright retired in 1951 but remained active in the University of Western Ontario's Alumni Association. Evelyn Albright died on April 24, 1979. She is buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Norfolk County, Ontario.
The Albrights were a Methodist/United Church family in Beamsville, Ontario. Charles Raymond Albright was born 1888 March 26 in South Cayuga. His parents were Josiah D. Albright and Sarah Moyer. He grew up in Beamsville, Ontario. In June 1917, he was ordained into the ministry of the Methodist Church. He retired in June 1952 and returned to Beamsville. His wife was Jean Little Wright. Other family members were his brother F.S. Albright (Fred), killed at Passchaendale in 1917, his brother W.D. Albright (Don) and his sister Mrs. Roy Hobden (Margaret). Before his death in 1960, Rev. Albright gave to The United Church of Canada a piece of property in Beamsville. This property later became the location for Albright Gardens, a community for retired United Church personnel.
Kenneth Charles Bellamy was born in 1919 in Cramahe Township, Northumberland County, the youngest son of Charles and Olive Bellamy (nee Bland). The Charles Bellamy family lived in the Smithfield/Brighton, Ontario area. Charles owned a farm in Salem, Ontario in his later years and in his younger years, worked for the Grand Trunk Railway as a brakeman. In 1938, Ken joined the Canadian Armed Forces and served overseas in World War II with the Midland Regiment, Hastings Prince Edward Regiment and the Essex Scottish regiment. Upon returning home, he married Ruth Catherine Allen. Over his career, he worked on the family farm, for the Department of Highways, and with Marbon Chemical Corporation in Cobourg, Ontario.
Ruth Catherine Allen was born in 1918 in Cramahe Township, the daughter of Durwood and Beatrice Allen (nee Hennessey). The Durwood Allen family lived on a farm in the Castleton, Ontario area. Ruth attended Peterborough Normal School in 1938 attaining her Teachers Certificate. During the course of her teaching career she taught in Morganston, Frankford, Napanee and South Cramahe Public Schools.
Ruth and Kenneth married 30 June 1947 in Brighton, Ontario. They had two daughters, Mary Margaret and Kathryn Ann, and lived in the community of Salem. After Ruth’s death in 1979, Ken married Joyce Blakley. Joyce died in 1985 and Ken in 2007. (Taken from information supplied by the donor).
Since the mid 1890s, the Anderson family has been prominent in the social and commercial life of St. Thomas, Ontario, with extensive involvement in community fund raising and other philanthropic ventures, church activities, the arts, sporting events, and the operation of one of the city's iconic business establishments and principal employers, the Anderson Department Store. Robert Marshall Anderson (1860-1940) came to St. Thomas in 1896 as the junior partner in a dry goods business and manager of the department store known as Northway and Anderson. In 1906 Anderson purchased his partner John Northwayâs share in the company and established the family business known as the Anderson Department Store that dominated St. Thomas commercial life for much of the 20th century. Building on his success as a businessman, R.M. Anderson soon gained prominence in the city's social and philanthropic circles. He served as President of the Elgin Patriotic Society from the time of its founding in 1914 until its disbandment in 1919. He was active in several civic building campaigns in St. Thomas, including those supporting the construction of Memorial Hospital, new buildings for the Y.M.C.A. and Y.W.C.A., and extensions for Alma College. Mr. Anderson was also a devoted member of Knox Presbyterian Church in St. Thomas and served for many years on its board of managers. He was an avid amateur golfer and curler and was instrumental in establishing several golf clubs/courses in the St. Thomas area. He was a founding member and director of the Elgin Country Club in 1899 (later renamed Pinafore Park Golf Club), one of the few clubs formed in Ontario prior to 1900 still in existence. Also in 1899 R.M. Anderson married Katherine (Kate) Wegg, a lifelong resident of St. Thomas whose ancestors included some of the area's first settlers, the Duncombe and Wegg families of the Sparta Settlement. Their son Donald Hume Anderson was born on April 14, 1910 and quickly absorbed his fatherâs passion for the sports of curling and golf. As a student at the University of Toronto (1928-1932), he was a member of the varsity curling team, and captain of the varsity golf team during his last three years. After completing his Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1932, he entered the family business and continued his secondary career as a recreational and highly competitive amateur sportsman who was instrumental in organizing both curling and golf at local, provincial and national levels. D.H. Anderson was a sixteen-time Club Champion at the St. Thomas Golf & Country Club and served as the Club's President from 1951-1953. In 1990 he donated a portion of farmland for the construction of the Redtail Golf Course in Port Stanley, Ontario, where the Club House is named Anderson House to honour its benefactor. He served as a governor of both the Ontario Golf Association and the Canadian Seniors Golf Association. D.H. Anderson was also a founding member of The St. Thomas Curling Club (formed in 1955), later served as Club President, and led the campaign to fund and construct the St. Thomas Memorial Community Centre Arena, which opened in 1956, providing St. Thomas curlers with six additional sheets of ice. The St. Thomas Curling Club has hosted or participated in many bonspiels at local, provincial, national and international levels. In 1961 a St. Thomas Curling Club team that included D.H. Anderson won the Governor General’s Cup, a feat repeated in 1970 by a Club team featuring his son, Bob Anderson. D.H. Anderson became a Vice-President of the Ontario Curling Association in 1968, and from 1971 to 1973 served as the Association's President. Following his father's example, D.H. Anderson became an influential community leader and philanthropist. He was the founding president of the St. Thomas-Elgin Branch of the Canadian Cancer Society, the St. Thomas-Elgin Branch of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind and the St. Thomas Mental Health Care Association (subsequently renamed the Elgin Association for Community Living). He also served as president of the St. Thomas Board of Trade and the St. Thomas-Elgin Art Gallery Foundation, and was a director of the St. Thomas Y.M.C.A., the St. Thomas Industrial Board and the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. During the Second World War, he was Chairman of the Fundraising Committee of the St. Thomas Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society. He was often called upon to lead important civic building campaigns, including such initiatives as the construction of a new general hospital and the Public Arts Centre. Like his father, D.H. Anderson was an extremely knowledgeable and widely respected collector of art, books, maps, furniture and other artifacts, especially those created in or relating to the local history of St. Thomas and Elgin County. His private collection was without equal in south western Ontario, and while much of the collection was sold at auction after his death in 2004, many items were donated to the St. Thomas-Elgin Public Art Centre where they remain on display. Donald Hume Anderson married Mary Morley in 1937. Their three children, Robert Morley, Mary Catherine (Kate) and Susan Elizabeth (Betsy) joined their father in running the store that bore their family's name. Donald Hume Anderson continued to serve as President of Andersons Limited until the store closed in 1988. He died on February 6, 2004 at the age of 93.
The Argue family have lived in Belleville, Ontario since 1929.
Charles Hedley Atcherley (1889-1975) served overseas during the First World War and volunteered to train military recruits in Ontario during the Second World War. When he was not serving in the military, Atcherley worked as a police officer.
The Atwood family is associated with nineteenth-century settlement in the Lakefield, Ontario region. James Parr Clinton Atwood (1836-1912) immigrated to Canada from Gloucestershire in 1855 and married Anne Traill Fotheringhame (Annie) Traill (1838-1931), daughter of Thomas Traill and Catharine Parr Traill, in 1858. Together they had seven children: Henry, Emily, Clinton, Katharine, George, Anne, and Florence. The Atwood family is related to the Upper Canada pioneer Traill, Moodie, and Strickland families.