Abitibi Power & Paper Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Abitibi Power & Paper Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Abitibi Pulp and Paper Co. Ltd. was incorporated in 1912 to construct and operate a groundwood pulpmill on the Abitibi River at Iroquios Falls, Ontario. In 1914 the Abitibi Power and Paper Co. Ltd. was organized and acquired the assests of the Abitibi Pulp & Paper Co.. Newsprint paper machines were subsequently installed at the plant at Iroquois Falls, and power sites were developed to provide hydro electric power for the mill. A commercial sulphite pulp mill at Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario was also acquired. In 1928 Abitibi acquired five other Canadian newsprint companies including the Spanish River Pulp & Paper Mills Ltd.which owned the mill at Sault Ste. Marie. The unwieldly capital structure from these mergers resulted in Abitibi going into recievership in 1932. A Royal Commission Report was conducted into Abitibi's finances on March 1941. In April of 1946 the receivorship of Abitibi ended.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC