Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
12 Militia Group fonds
Designação geral do material
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
CA ON00093 98/39
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
Zona de descrição física
65 cm of textual records
approx. 440 photographs : b&w ; 25.5 x 21.5 cm or smaller
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
12 Militia Group fell under the Eastern Ontario Area, part of Central Command. With the reorganization of the Canadian Militia in September 1954, M. B. Gordon was given command of 12th Militia Group, which he held until he was replaced by E. D. Baldock in May 1955. Baldock was in turn succeeded George G. Aldous, on 1 Feb 1960. In May of 1964, the 12th Militia Group consisted of 14 units - 11 of which were stationed in Ottawa - and the others being the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Regiment, with headquarters at Pembroke, and detached companies in Renfrew, Perth and Carleton Place; the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, with headquarters in Cornwall and a detached company at Alexandria; and the 9th Medical company, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, also at Cornwall. The units in Ottawa were the following: IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards; 30th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA); 3rd Field Squadron, Royal Canadian Engineers (RCE); 3rd Signals Regiment, Royal Canadian Signals (RCS); The Governor-General's Foot Guards; Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa; 130 Company, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC); 10th Medical Company, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps (RCAMC); 54th Dental Unit, Royal Canadian Dental Corps (RCDC); 3rd Ordnance Company, Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps (RCOC); and 113 Manning Depot. In November 1964, Minister of Defence Paul Hellyer announced significant changes to the Canadian militia following the report of the Suttie Commission on the downsizing of the reserves. One of the many units cut was the 12th Militia Group Headquarters.
Âmbito e conteúdo
Fonds consists of files from 12 Militia Group Headquarters and IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards squadrons in Ottawa, Prescott and Smiths Falls. The materials document the typical activities of the militia in the 1950s and early 1960s. File lists found with Series II, III and IV indicate that these materials have been stripped and retained whereas other files appearing on these lists were destroyed. File titles indicate general topics of files and these are varied. Most textual material consists of correspondence and memoranda. There are three scrapbooks, one of which consists of pictures, and the other two of newspaper clippings pertaining to 12 Militia Group. Most of the pictures have brief captions describing their contents. There are six series, as follows:
I: 12 Militia Group Headquarters files
II: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Ottawa files
III: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Prescott. "C" Squadron file
IV: Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards, IV. Smiths Falls. "D" Squadron files
V: Files relating to Princess Alice's visit to Present New Regimental Standard
VI: Pictures and Scrapbooks relating to 12 Militia Group
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
The immediate source of acquisition is unknown.
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Most files are unclassified. The finding aid indicates the classification of each file.
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Instrumentos de descrição
Copies of the finding aid are located in the first file of the fonds and in the Reading Room at the Directorate of History and Heritage. Electronic copies are also available.
No further accruals are expected.
A small portion of the newspaper clippings are in French.
Other materials at the Directorate of History and Heritage that may be of particular interest for researchers inquiring about 4 Princess Louise Dragoon Guards in the post-War period include the following: 89/222, R.D. Abbott fonds. 5 cm of textual records dealing mainly with rescue tactics and national survival techniques taught to militia members during the early 1960's. 141.4A4013 (D2), Historical sketch on 4 PLDG (4th Armd C Regt), 1872-1949, 04 May 1950 325.009 (D533), Correspondence & report regarding organization of "C" Sqn PLDG at Prescott, ON, Sep-Nov 1948.
The contents of a large black scrapbook on the Ottawa Garrison have been removed from the original scrapbook and each page has been stored in a separate acid-free folder. The original scrapbook has been destroyed.
The contents of two other scrapbooks, consisting of newspaper clippings, have been photocopied to ensure longer preservation.