View archival description
Fonds RG 16 - A. Winifred Sankey fonds
Title and statement of responsibility area
A. Winifred Sankey fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00028 RG 16
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1 m of textual records 12 photographs : b&w and col. 2 negatives : col. Materials are in good condition.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Sankey, A. Winifred
The Niagara Symphony was founded in 1948 as the St. Catharines Civic Orchestra. The orchestra was established due to the efforts of conductor Jon Wolanek, who had already set up small community orchestras in New York State. Joe West served as the first president on the Board of Directors, Andy Black as secretary and Frank Gibb as treasurer. In 1963, the name was changed to the St. Catharines Symphony Orchestra. The name changed again in 1978, to the Niagara Symphony Orchestra, by which it is known today.
Name of creator
Fonds remained in the possession of Mrs. A. Winifred Sankey, former Historian for the Niagara Symphony, until 1993, when the records were donated by the current Historian, James Curtis, to Special Collections and Archives, James A. Gibson Library, Brock University.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records and other material accumulated by Mrs. A. Winifred Sankey for the Niagara Symphony. Fonds consists primarily of photographs, scrapbooks (dated 1948-1992) and correspondence (dated 1965-1969). Some concert programs are also included. Fonds consists of the following series: Correspondence 1965-1969 Photographs & Negatives Scrapbooks (1948-1992)
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds was donated by Mr. James Curtis, Historian for the Niagara Symphony, in 1993.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open for purposes of research and education.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated / related material
Niagara Symphony fonds
Accruals are expected.