View archival description
Fonds 1988-013 - Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) fonds
Title and statement of responsibility area
Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00226 1988-013
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1864-1971, predominant 1901-1945 (Creation)
Physical description area
3 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment)
The 57th Regiment was established ca. 1867 as a result of a merging of militia units from Ashburnham, Norwood Lakefield and Hastings. It was re-named the 57th Regiment: Peterborough Rangers in 1900. The unit saw active service during World War I under various Canadian Expeditionary Force groupings. In 1920 it was re-named the Peterborough Rangers. By 1936 it was re-organized and became known as the Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment). By this point, it comprised the 3rd Prince of Wales Canadian Dragoons, 57th Regiment and C Company of the 4th Canadian Machine Gun Battalion. In June 1940 the Regiment was ordered to mobilize for World War II with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders. The Rangers saw active service in WW II. Members went to the Niagara area, then British Columbia and then Europe. After the War, most of the unit was disbanded and it regained its original role as a local militia. In 1947 the unit ceased to exist as an infantry unit and became part of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery. After March 1970 it was reduced to nil strength and transferred to supplementary order of battle.
The majority of this material was donated via Major David Pryde, who rescued the records from the Armouries before they were to be thrown into the garbage.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the records accumulated by the 57th Regiment, 57th Regiment: Peterborough Rangers and Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment). Fonds is comprised of orders and minute books; registers; rolls; service records; financial records and historical records. Specific items include: 57th Regiment, register and service roll for enlisted men, non-commissioned and commissioned officers (1886-1917); 57th Regiment register of non-commissioned officers (1864-1915); 57th Regiment officer's nominal roll (1865-1900); 57th Regiment despatched letters (1890-1896); 57th Regiment shooting register (1911-1925); 57th Regiment register of correspondence (1919-1938); 57th Regiment Band minute book (1897-1915); pay lists; scrapbooks; Prince of Wales register of men on active service (1939-1945); a lengthy history of the 57th Regiment, with original photographs by F.H. Dobbin; assorted photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available in the City Archives.
Associated / related material
See also 68-031 (Prince of Wales Rangers, War Diaries, 1942-1945).
Future accruals are possible.