View archival description
Fonds F 4147 - Architectural Conservancy of Ontario fonds
Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO) is non-profit, charitable organization set up in 1933 to preserve the historic built environment and nature landscape in Ontario.
A committee was set up and a brochure issued in Oct. 1932 for the organization of a "Society for the Preservation of Early Architecture and Places of Natural Beauty in Ontario." The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario was founded through the issuance of Letters Patent under the Ontario Companies Act on 1 Feb. 1933. The express purpose of the organization was to advocate the protection and conservation of Ontario's architectural and landscape heritage, to preserve buildings, structures and places in Ontario deemed to be of architectural merit, natural beauty or historic interest.
The main founder of ACO was Prof. Eric Ross Arthur. Other names prominent among the organization's first directors were: Vincent Massey, the architects Howard Dunnington Grubb, Alvan Sherlock Mathers, John MacIntosh Lyle, and Mackenzie Waters, the provincial historian Verschoyle Benson Blake, and the notable librarian William Stewart Wallace.
The ACO has been working to find economically viable uses for Ontario's historical assets, ensuring that the distinctive buildings of the past do not become parking lots or building sites for characterless new development.
The ACO developed a structure of many volunteers at both the local branch and provincial levels, with a central office, the ACO Council, an executive and an Advisory Board. In 2003 there were 11 branches throughout Ontario. Other branches have formed but ceased operations over the years. These branches develop and administer their own programs and fundraising events; work to preserve and restore local sites and structures; and publicize the need to maintain our architectural and landscape heritage.
The ACO publishes Acorn, The Journal of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, and holds an Annual General Meeting each November.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of some records of the provincial body, and those of various local branches. Included are : Minutes of the meeting of the Ottawa, Hamilton, Port Hope and Toronto Branches of the Architectural Conservancy of Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, 1954-1978, including a general file; Minutes of meetings and notices of the Hastings County, Kingston, Peterborough Historical Societies. 1962-1967.
For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database:
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated / related material
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (Creator)