Title and statement of responsibility area
Algoma Ore Properties Limited fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00264 996.9.7 & 998.4.1
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
6 m of textual records ca. 500 photographs 241 technical drawings 3 maps
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Algoma Ore Properties Limited
Algoma Ore Properties Limited was incorporated with Ontario Letters Patent in February 1936. It was a wholly owned subsidiary of Algoma Steel Corporation in Sault Ste. Marie and had the power to carry on the business of mining, to manufacture iron and steel and to sell products so produced and carry on the business of transporting its products. The Algoma Ore Properties Limited was also authorized to acquire any assets of Algoma Steel Corporation including its mining properties. In 1934 Sir James Dunn introduced his plan to develop iron ore from the Michipicoten Range and reopen the Helen Mine which had been closed in 1921. On July 28, 1939 Algoma Ore Properties Limited produced its first ton of sintered ore just a month prior to the outbreak of WW II. In 1950 an underground mine was opened at the Helen Mine site, one of the few in the world. In 1960, Algoma Ore Properties Limited was wound up and became the Algoma Ore Division of the Algoma Steel Corporation. On December 10, 1997, the decision to close down its mining operations in Michipicoten was made and the mines were closed in June, 1998.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of financial records, exploration reports on mining properties across Canada, engineering reports on the development of mining properties and drawings for mining equipment such as the Ropeway developed by the British Ropeway Engineering Co. Ltd. There are also documents relating to the development of the townsite at Wawa, also known as Jamestown, the Lady Dunn Hospital and scholarships and donations given by the company. The fonds also includes photographs and maps ofthe company's mining and exploration activities, the townsite of Wawa and the Eagle's Nest, which was the residence of Sir James Dunn in Wawa. Some correspondence is also inclided.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds was donated by the Algoma Steel Inc. in 1999.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory of this fonds is available.
Related material can be found in the Algoma Steel Corporation fonds and the Algoma Commercial Co. fonds.
No further accruals are expected.
Sault History Online - Industrial Developmentwww.cityssm.on.ca/library
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Algoma Ore Properties Limited (Creator)